Author Topic: Finally joined, Hello!  (Read 2633 times)

Offline philphilphil

Finally joined, Hello!
« on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 13:31:46 »
Hi there, while searching for keyboard-stuff on google i was often sent here.. so finally i decided to join this club! Till now in only was active on Reddit, since i find it hard do dive into a new community.. but no im here and ill see how it goes :).

I currently have a Ducky Shine 2 TKL with Cherry Reds for Gaming and a Pok3r with Browns and o-rings at work for coding and i'm waiting for the Gateron Blues to arrive from Taiwan so i can continue build a GH60 (already got plate and pcb, case will be selfmade out of wood). Next project will be an Ergodox.

So, i hope i can learn more about building keyboards here (until now the most important thing i learned: patience while waiting for massdrop.)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Finally joined, Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 19:57:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A Ducky Shine 2!  Don't hear about those much any more.  I have two Ducky Shine 1 :)

There's quite a few German members too, and yes, patience will serve you well :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 20:04:36 »
So how do you plan to build the case?
please share the deets
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:29:40 by Moistgun »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 21:45:29 »
Hi, welcome. Good luck with your build! :)
Chris Schammert

Offline philphilphil

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 03:39:03 »
So how do you plan to build the case?
My dad is a carpenter, he will help me do it. Basically i use a piece of wood and shape the pocket for the keyboard in it with a milling machine router.
Theres a good video where someone demonstrates how to do it:

Welcome to Geekhack!

A Ducky Shine 2!  Don't hear about those much any more.  I have two Ducky Shine 1 :)
Thx! I bought it 2013 and it still serves me well :)

Hi, welcome. Good luck with your build! :)
Thank you! :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 09:34:25 by philphilphil »

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 09:02:21 »
Cool. That is a router.
I was curious as to what tool.

Now I know.

Offline philphilphil

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 09:33:59 »
Cool. That is a router.
Ah yes, i didn't know the exact name of the machinem thx:). Router is what i meant, not milling machine.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 09:38:25 by philphilphil »

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 10:22:10 »
I'd like to make a case myself, but I dont have a flat bit.
also not alot of experience with a router.

Offline philphilphil

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:37:12 »
It's definitely a dangerous tool.. but if you get someone with a little experience with it it doesn't look to hard to build the case :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 03:54:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Any problems with the LEDs?

Some people have been reporting dead LEDs with Shine 3 and 4.  Both my Shine 1 have no defective LEDs, and my Shine 3 is also all good :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline philphilphil

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 03:26:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Any problems with the LEDs?

Some people have been reporting dead LEDs with Shine 3 and 4.  Both my Shine 1 have no defective LEDs, and my Shine 3 is also all good :)

nope, all of them still work :)

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 03:30:26 »
Good luck on the Ergodox mate, I've got one waiting to be  assembled too! Saw a guy who made a full aluminium case, which looked amazing, might be going down that route myself.