Author Topic: Been Lurkin...  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Calmfixup

Been Lurkin...
« on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 15:16:11 »
*Doctor Nick voice*
HELLO EVERYBODY

Been lurking around these forums since I discovered them back in January; figured it's about time I just jump on in.

Funny story. I'm a musician (among other things) and I've always been obsessed with clicking noises. Love em. Always have.
Used to pull out my grandmother's typewriter as a kid to write stories on - would sit around and watch Star Wars with an old Toshiba TX1200XE sitting in my lap, typing on it as Chewie and Han flew the Falcon just to hear the sounds it made. Weird obsession, I know.

Fast forward 20 years to when I buy a Razer Blackwidow Chroma - the newer ones with the clone switches. On my first keystroke I'M IN LOVE...I'm instantly transported back to my childhood with the familiar clicks...it's what I've been missing! Am I playing Oregon Trail in '92? Did I just die of dysentery? I'm obsessed again. Every friend who comes over I'm like "Hear that? *clack clack* Doesn't that sound wonderful?"

Many confused looks later, whilst looking for new keycaps, I discover r/MechanicalKeyboards and GeekHack and realize that i'm not alone! There's a whole community of people who nerd out just like I do over these awesome input devices :)

Still haven't bought another keyboard yet (built a very expensive PC for my geeky needs so I'm broke as hell), although I'm planning on getting a Pok3r RGB and a Ducky Shine 5 (did I mention I also love colors?). Also just took part in my first Group Buy via Massdrop to get those delicious Amazing Chocolatier (props to Zambumon for that absolutely fantastic looking SA set /drool)...and now my watch begins.

Well if you read all that, thanks lol.

Hello to you all!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2016, 17:07:38 by Calmfixup »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: Been Lurkin...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 18:47:08 »
Welcome :)

DS5 is a great board, should be some nice lighting when paired with the SA set.
I like the look when it just illuminates the back rather than the legends.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Calmfixup

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 19:21:42 »
Welcome :)

DS5 is a great board, should be some nice lighting when paired with the SA set.
I like the look when it just illuminates the back rather than the legends.

Thanks!

Yeah that's what I was thinking, even if I feel like the lighting isn't coming around as much as I'd like it to, that DS5 would be great for work (if only to annoy my coworkers with the lighting and the CLACK CLACK CLACK). I've only really seen one picture of a Shine 5 with SA caps on it (PuLSE) but I thought it looked cool enough to try haha

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 05:59:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you really want to capture the sounds of keyboards, of old, get yourself a Model M, or even a Model F!  You haven't heard a proper keyboard until you do ;)

There are many here that some might say are obsessed with keyboards and keyboard-related things, but they are all so nice, and I just have to get them all!  Once I save up some more money :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ