Author Topic: Brand new to Mechanical Keyboards, Brand new to GH  (Read 2254 times)

Offline deaad_pixel_design

• And I though cards were my biggest money dump...
Brand new to Mechanical Keyboards, Brand new to GH
« on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 20:13:12 »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop in real quick and introduce myself, My name's Justin and I haven't had a drink in 1 yea---- wait, wrong place..
I'm brand new to this community, and brand new to Mechanical Keybaords. I got into them through their aesthetic, but really got hooked when I saw the unique VIM friendly layout of PFU's HHKB. But really-mostly because aesthetic.

I'm so green I still haven't gotten my first mechanical keyboard, but am getting that taken care of as I type this (figuratively) and have a pretty solid idea of my first keyboard and what I will need to do to get it where I want and have spent a lot of my time on here recently, prior to joining, getting familiar and mining for information.

Hopefully I won't ask too many stupid questions, I'm pretty familiar with how to use the forum search function, and I can't wait to have a few replies under my belt and a few friends in the community.

I'm not nearly as cheery as I sound here, I'm just excited.
Thanks guys!

Keyboard & Co. HHKB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Brand new to Mechanical Keyboards, Brand new to GH
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 06:07:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The forum search is a bit spotty, you'd be better off using Google and prefixing your search with site:geekhack.org

To get you started, the recommended reading thread contains some excellent links.  And changes are a question you think of may already have been answered in the simple questions thread.

HHKB is great - one of my favourite keyboards :)

By the way, if you're a fan of Vim, did you know there's some Vim keycaps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 14:19:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
The forum search is a bit spotty, you'd be better off using Google and prefixing your search with site:geekhack.org
To get you started, the recommended reading thread contains some excellent links.  And changes are a question you think of may already have been answered in the simple questions thread.

Hey Rowdy,
Thanks for the greet, the heads up about praying to Google working better and the great links, especially the Vim keycaps, love those. Custom key caps was one of the most appealing aspects of mechanical keyboards for me at first before I realized there is so much more to them. Can't wait!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 05:59:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Hey Rowdy,
Thanks for the greet, the heads up about praying to Google working better and the great links, especially the Vim keycaps, love those. Custom key caps was one of the most appealing aspects of mechanical keyboards for me at first before I realized there is so much more to them. Can't wait!

It is amazing how long we can use keyboards before finding out that swapping keycaps is a thing.

I couldn't wait once I got my, er, second modern mechanical keyboard.  My first was a Ducky Shine, and I didn't want to lose the backlighting.  My second (or was it third?) was a QFR, and I have a terminal keyboard with MX black switches, so I swapped keycaps around.  Bought a set of white on red modifiers and mixed and matched.  And I haven't looked back since!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ