Author Topic: Decided to Stop Lurking...  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Kavik

Decided to Stop Lurking...
« on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 10:50:54 »
Hi, all.

After realizing how much this forum comes up when I search for anything keyboard related, I figured it was time to create an account. I interact on Reddit occasionally, but I find that it is nice for looking at pretty pictures of keyboards but not that great for having conversations and asking questions since it's not a proper forum (more of a "what's new and cool today" list).

My interest in mechanical keyboards started when I built a PC about three and a half years ago. I'm not really sure why I thought I needed a mech kb except for PC building Youtube videos suggesting them. Before that, I'd just been using the rubber dome PS/2 eMachines keyboard that came with my old PC; I'd actually convinced myself that I really liked that keyboard with it's ultra low profile keys.

I ordered two mechs at the same time: a CM Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Reds for playing games at home and a Rosewill RK-9000I with Cherry MX Blues for typing at work. I was fairly satisfied with these for about three years, but I never *really* liked the Cherry blues. After messing about with o-rings and new cheap keycaps, I finally decided to get an IBM Model M, and another one, and another one, and so on. Now I've spent too much money on things and am involved in a couple of group buys.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline wishful_cynic

Re: Decided to Stop Lurking...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 10:57:47 »
Welcome!  :thumb:

Have you ever tried a switch tester or read about some of the other MX switches?  I use clears at work (heavy springs, tactile bump, no clicky noise) and blacks at home for gaming+typing (heavy springs, linear/smooth press, no clicky noise).  I wouldn't have thought to try either of those switches if I hadn't read about the different MX switches.

Which group buys are you in?

Offline Kavik

Re: Decided to Stop Lurking...
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 12:25:54 »
Hi!

I have a switch tester with red, black, gray, white, blue, green, clear, brown, and dark gray(?). Of those, I think I might like black and clear the most; pretty sure I wouldn't like browns. I wanted to try greens for a while, but I can't stand the high pitched sound of blues and greens anymore. I bought some 67g Zealios to put in the RAMA M65-A when that comes in. At the moment, my favorite switches are buckling spring and Matias Click.

I'm currently in the M65-A GB, the Ellipse new model F GB, and the SA 1965 GB (mainly because I wanted to try SA). I got a lot of extras for the F77 though, like first aid kit, both case sizes, extra key caps, so that was pretty expensive (somewhere around $600 if IIRC).
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.