Author Topic: [IC] -無常- Uncertainty60  (Read 37193 times)

Offline amaddo

[IC] -無常- Uncertainty60
« on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 20:57:31 »
無常
Welcome to IC of
Uncertainty60

This project was started and designed by Amaddo.
Vender is KBDfans, They do sell, production, QC and shipped.

Info

・A minimal, uniform fillet is applied throughout to maintain a sharp aesthetic appearance.

・Although it is a tray mount, it supports HHKB and WKL.

・The use of a blocker will hinder the appearance,
so select a two-layer structure with a top case and a bottom case.

・If you get an extra top case and a soldered board,
you can easily change the layout as well as the switches.

・I made some adjustments to make the sides look simple and beautiful.

・The weights are engraved with
"無 常"
 which is the biggest feature of the board and the name.

・Brass is only sandblasted, reminiscent of a vintage look.

・Brass weights are attached to the back,
and screws are attached from the side so that they do not disturb the brass.

Spec

・Tray Mount
・6 degree tilt
・6061 Alu (Beads Brast and anodization)
・Polycarbonate
・Brass (Sand Brast only)
・Mount points near center and spacebar are removable
(fixed now)

・Price: TBD
・Open GB: TBD (Adjust so that it does not overlap with "Vulcan's MAJA")

Color

KBDfans's TOFU color and PC
https://kbdfans.com/collections/diy-kit/products/tofu-rgb-60-custom-keyboard-kit

Approved From KBDfans

Original render

More

Google Form

https://forms.gle/XLmj9FvKQXyBEPbs6

Timeline

Starting project: 02 March 2019
Order First Proto: 05 March
Arrived First Proto: 27 June
Redesign and Order Second Proto: 28 November

My SNS

Please Follow Me

Twitter: https://twitter.com/amaddo_type_A
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/amaddo_type_a/

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2020, 04:07:50 by amaddo »

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
Re: [IC] Uncertainty60
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:10:20 »
I'm uncertain of how I feel about this

Edit: weight design is interesting, though
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:12:55 by Iredeus »

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 22:18:39 »
Needs more pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 22:19:15 »
I like the name uncertainty

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 22:39:15 »
Look nice.
Wait for more info.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 00:59:57 »
Q:would you consider WKL blocker for the case?

A:I am sorry, the block which we correspond to WKL and HHKB is not supposed with this keyboard.
The new keyboard will be either HHKB or WKL. Production may be a while, but please expect.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2019, 07:44:13 by amaddo »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 04:16:04 »
Particularly I can understand a PCB not being in the kit, but IMHO it would be easier if a plate were included

Also I think it needs more renders
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 11:53:30 »
Looking forward to see more. I know you estimate high, but 400usd for a traymount barebone seems above the line.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 15:22:03 »
Everyone, thank you for your interest in this keyboard. And you will be seeking more rendered images. I would like to offer more images to you. Please give me some more time.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 21:05:23 »
Particularly I can understand a PCB not being in the kit, but IMHO it would be easier if a plate were included

Also I think it needs more renders

Thank you for understanding that PCB is not included. And perhaps I will not have a plate attached. I think importantly that it is easy to exchange PCB and plate, which is characteristic of tray mount type keyboard. There are several kinds of plate material, and my thought that each one wishes to use the plate I like is put in it.

Offline amaddo

Re: [IC] Uncertainty60 (new renders)
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 21:30:04 »
Hi, Geekhack user!
I have created and published a new rendered image. I'm glad if you can use it as a reference.

Offline amaddo

Re: [IC] Uncertainty60 (3/4 new renders)
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 03:21:46 »
Q:Hi, can i ask that what are those side holes for?

A:Yes. It is a screw hole used to fix the case and weight. I did not want to put extra things in the weight as much as possible. Fixing method like Fjell was difficult, it was the best choice to fix from the side.

Offline MrFurrior

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:36:33 »
Looking forward to see more. I know you estimate high, but 400usd for a traymount barebone seems above the line.

Agreed, $400 is way too much for what it is. Considering other GB's provide PCB's and a plate...

Offline amaddo

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:42:11 »

Agreed, $400 is way too much for what it is. Considering other GB's provide PCB's and a plate...

That’s right. Considering that there are no other accessories for 400 dollars, it is a high price. However, because it is a higher estimate, the price at the time of offering will be lower than this price. Although it may be affected by shipping costs.

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 05:07:17 »
Im into this. The design is fantastic.

Offline EnjoyMyInSec

• 60% or bust
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 07:05:44 »
Looks like a pretty nice board, I really love the weight but, even if the price won't be $400, without plate and PCB it looks very expensive but maybe that's just me.
GL with your GB though.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 08:18:57 »
Looks like a pretty nice board, I really love the weight but, even if the price won't be $400, without plate and PCB it looks very expensive but maybe that's just me.
GL with your GB though.

The manufacturing cost itself is $ 300 for 50 units and $ 290 for 75 units. In addition to this, the shipping fee and the expenses I spent on prototype manufacturing and the profit ($ 20 to $ 30) to cover the cost of designing the next keyboard are added. Shipping fee etc are not disclosed, but if you expect price, please refer to this place.

Offline maximize

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:04:22 »
GL with your GB though.

The manufacturing cost itself is $ 300 for 50 units and $ 290 for 75 units. In addition to this, the shipping fee and the expenses I spent on prototype manufacturing and the profit ($ 20 to $ 30) to cover the cost of designing the next keyboard are added. Shipping fee etc are not disclosed, but if you expect price, please refer to this place.

This manufacturing cost sounds very high for just a case + brass weight. Take a look at Mekanisk's latest IC post (LeandreN). They're estimating $250 for the Fjell R2 case, and I'm sure that's taking some margin on the sales (meaning the manufacturing cost is probably more like $200). Not to mention the quality expected of Mekanisk products. How many different vendors did you approach with this?

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:10:14 »
May I ask where the TAINT part of the name came from?

Edit: Ooof. My apologies. My immaturity and reading comprehension got to me on this one.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2019, 21:22:50 by Pluto19 »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:20:09 »
Top view is quite similar to DC60 and Fjell :)
Weight looks interesting!

Offline amaddo

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:21:26 »
GL with your GB though.

This manufacturing cost sounds very high for just a case + brass weight. Take a look at Mekanisk's latest IC post (LeandreN). They're estimating $250 for the Fjell R2 case, and I'm sure that's taking some margin on the sales (meaning the manufacturing cost is probably more like $200). Not to mention the quality expected of Mekanisk products. How many different vendors did you approach with this?

I will investigate whether the problem of manufacturing cost can be solved by reducing the thickness of the brass weight. Also we will raise the bottom of the case 1 mm. However, I think that this will not lead to much cost reduction.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:27:16 »
May I ask where the TAINT part of the name came from?

The origin of the name of Uncertainty 60 is in the Heike story of Japan. It was written about Uncertainty (impermanence) in one sentence, and it was named from there. Probably the next name will be taken from the Heike Monogatari.
It is difficult to express Japanese unique culture in English.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:29:28 »
Top view is quite similar to DC60 and Fjell :)
Weight looks interesting!

That's right. Inspired from various keyboards, there is a current design.

Offline amaddo

Re: [IC] Uncertainty60 (3/5 new renders)
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 23:59:58 »
Hi everyone.
I changed the thickness of the brass weight to cost down. There was no major change in the design itself, but it was changed to a direct screw stop rather than a screw stop from the side.
I think that I could have somewhat reduced the cost by doing this. I will put out quotations from now.

Next, concerning the plate, as there are many requests, it is under review now.

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2019, 05:11:34 by amaddo »

Offline Minterly

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 03:52:38 »
I almost like the brass weight without the "Uncertainty" engraving.
Personal opinion, that script type font kind of is not... pretty to say the least 😅.
And I'm also super into the sleek minimalist look the rest of the board offers.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 04:18:02 »
Personal opinion, that script type font kind of is not... pretty to say the least 😅.

If you and the other wish so much, the stamp of "Uncertainty60" will disappear and only the "無" stamp will remain. "無" is a key feature of this keyboard, and if it is lost, it loses important features of this keyboard.

Offline maximize

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:25:34 »

If you and the other wish so much, the stamp of "Uncertainty60" will disappear and only the "無" stamp will remain. "無" is a key feature of this keyboard, and if it is lost, it loses important features of this keyboard.

Google translate tells me that 無 just means "no" or "nothing". What's the backstory or meaning to you?

Offline takai

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 14:44:26 »
Google translate tells me that 無 just means "no" or "nothing". What's the backstory or meaning to you?

It comes from Buddhism word "無常 (impermanence)" and it also means "nothing is permanent".

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 14:52:57 »
The top is very similar to DC60/Fjell (not a bad thing by any means). The weight design reminds me of the Fusion60 weight.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 04:00:25 »
The top is very similar to DC60/Fjell (not a bad thing by any means). The weight design reminds me of the Fusion60 weight.

I designed this keyboard inspired by many keyboards. Of course it includes Fjell and DC60. I would be happy if you like this design.

Offline amaddo

Re: [IC] Uncertainty60 with KBDfans
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 07:08:38 »
I gained cooperation from KBDfans, a famous and familiar company. I do not do everything, but most processes are done by them, so I can relax and join the GB.

Offline Artemie

• Don't Let Your Memes Be Dreams
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 08:47:35 »
Since you’ve spent expenses on a prototype I’d like to see some actual board photos instead of renders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
| 420CL | Fanoe | Porpoise | KFE R1 Silver| MxSS |  is0 Pink & Silver | HBCP Polycarbonate | Matrix 2.0 Additional Purple | TGR Police | Singa Jaguar Green | KFE R2 Blue | RS so lit | Dolch CR Black | Jelly 60 Blue | Belle en Rose | Kei R2 Olive | Dalco 959 Mini | Aripeko
More
Boards in GB: | IU board |
Previous Boards: QXP | Singa  | UTD | Taichi | Jane v2 Red | Jane v2 CE

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 09:36:59 »
I gained cooperation from KBDfans, a famous and familiar company. I do not do everything, but most processes are done by them, so I can relax and join the GB.

Hopefully they can get price closer to $100...
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline tonny950111

• valar morghulis valar dohaeris
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 16:10:04 »
Oh, my. It's 2019 and still tray mount 60%?

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 16:35:11 »
After seeing fusion for low 200s, and GBs like Leaf/M60 in the mid 300s, and E6.5 in high 300s, this does seem a little too expensive. Especially considering no plate/PCB.

I do like the weight though.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 19:14:37 »
Q: Will you have this on reddit.

A: No. I am publishing to geekhack, Japanese twitter and Discord server, KBDfans Discord server and my instagram. Since I do not know how to use Reddit, I felt it was not good to post in this state. If possible, I hope that more people can share this IC with your friends.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 19:22:24 »
I sent a message to KBDfans earlier.
The contents are about aluminum plate and prototype according to the price estimate and case color. I am waiting for a reply now, but as soon as there is a reply, I will renew the page.

Finally, I am glad that many people like my keyboard design. I will do my best to lower the price as much as possible so that it can be offered.

Offline Minterly

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 19:24:18 »

A: No. I am publishing to geekhack, Japanese twitter and Discord server, KBDfans Discord server and my instagram. Since I do not know how to use Reddit, I felt it was not good to post in this state. If possible, I hope that more people can share this IC with your friends.

You can post this on: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/ since it an IC to gain some interest.
Here is an example of a keyboard one: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/axugxa/ic_tr_wireless_split_keyboard_with_mouse_stick/

Hope this helps!

Offline amaddo

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 19:30:26 »

You can post this on: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/ since it an IC to gain some interest.
Here is an example of a keyboard one: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/axugxa/ic_tr_wireless_split_keyboard_with_mouse_stick/

Hope this helps!

I appreciate your advice :thumb: Thanks!!!

Offline amaddo

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 00:45:09 »
Q: will the 1up hot swappable pcb fit in this case?

A: Yes, I have a gap of 3mm so that the socket and case will not interfere. Probably installation is possible, but I would like to try it before selling.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 00:49:00 »
I will delete the estimate price from the thread and change it during the estimate so that there is no further misunderstanding. You will not pay 400 dollars.
I apologize for writing that I make misunderstandings.

Offline amaddo

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 22:12:06 »
Hello everyone.
I asked KBDfans to manufacture a prototype.
However, I have not specified a color yet. I will ask for white or black in the plan, but is there any color that I want to see? Please say if there is any color you care about.

Offline pcire

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 00:38:25 »
White?

Offline anon23

Re: [IC] Uncertainty60 with KBDfans (prototype color voting)
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 01:46:48 »
Maybe pick the most voted colour in the google form?

Personally I'd be curious to see what purple or pink will look like.
-

Offline amaddo

Re: [IC] Uncertainty60 with KBDfans (prototype color voting)
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 22:35:01 »
Then, we will make an announcement of popular colors here.

1. black, matte white
2. gray
3. silver, purple
4. blue
5. burgundy
6. cyan, pink
7. brown
8. green

The other colors were as below.
- Dark blue
- Yellow
- White
- Polycarbonate (Consideration)
- Navy blue (dark/grayish)

Offline amaddo

Re: [IC] Uncertainty60 with KBDfans (production prototype)
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 07:08:48 »
The prototype is currently in production.
It will probably be delivered by April.

In addition, some price information etc. were corrected. :thumb:

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 07:35:09 »
Offering blockers for HHKB and TKL forms?

Offline amaddo

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 07:40:10 »
TKL? Is it about WKL?
Unfortunately, we can not support WKL or HHKB on schedule.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 09:37:19 »
TKL? Is it about WKL?
Unfortunately, we can not support WKL or HHKB on schedule.

Yes. That's what I meant.

Offline Grandmasternoob

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 16:54:02 »
Project rip or what? :-\