Author Topic: Do wood keyboard cases feel good to type on?  (Read 27124 times)

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
Do wood keyboard cases feel good to type on?
« on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 05:11:32 »
How do they compare to aluminum? I own neither, so just wondering. This is particularly for 60% keyboards.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
Re: Do wood keyboard cases feel good to type on?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:56:07 »
I just got mine and it feels nice. Different. And yes, it feels very substantial and strong.

The Pok3r stock case is very solid but the sound reverberates more when one of my keys "ping". Supposedly this is because the Pok3r case actually has standoffs so the PCB is resting (precariously if I may say so) on really high standoffs and not resting on the case itself. For the wood case, it sits flat against the bottom of the case.

It'll depend on your choice of wood, but I'd say mine is the perfect weight. Lightweight but strong. The stock case is way too heavy for a 60% that is supposed to be suitable for travel.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:41:06 »
Could you post a link to your wood case? I too am considering going wood rather than metal

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:50:23 »
https://sealwoodworking.com/collections/keyboard-cases/products/hardwood-60-keyboard-cases

I took the last Lacewood one (which happened to be sitting around for quite a while, pics here https://sealwoodworking.com/collections/ready-to-ship/products/on-sale-now-lacewood-60-case?variant=5250585348 it was this exact case in the photos).

If you want to go all fancy then check out http://www.datamancer.com/cart/datamancer-oaken-60-keyboard-case-p-295.html. It's super expensive since it's like two cases, and your choices are pretty limited.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:27:33 »
I just got mine and it feels nice. Different. And yes, it feels very substantial and strong.

The Pok3r stock case is very solid but the sound reverberates more when one of my keys "ping". Supposedly this is because the Pok3r case actually has standoffs so the PCB is resting (precariously if I may say so) on really high standoffs and not resting on the case itself. For the wood case, it sits flat against the bottom of the case.

It'll depend on your choice of wood, but I'd say mine is the perfect weight. Lightweight but strong. The stock case is way too heavy for a 60% that is supposed to be suitable for travel.

How does the thickness compare to a stock Pok3r case?  I wouldn't mind trying wood, but I don't want a thicker case.

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:42:27 »
How does the thickness compare to a stock Pok3r case?  I wouldn't mind trying wood, but I don't want a thicker case.

Thickness from top to bottom is not far off. My case isn't beveled though; the shop will charge you extra for that (the stock case is beveled, mine is flat).

Obviously bezels are thicker (can't have wood as thin as the alu on the stock case), but not by much. I have a case with a fat front lip, but it still takes up a smaller footprint (and a denser, higher quality one) than my Ducky Mini when it still had bezels.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:04:36 »
It depends entirely on the case, I've found.

I tried the Pok3r Datamancer case - looks cool, feels alright. I bit too flat for my liking honestly, and too light (even with both pieces together).

Quality/density of wood is important. I bought a 60% Hammer Rosewood Case + Wristrest a while ago though and it feels far superior to my Tex aluminum case. Obviously I can't speak to longevity or any issues maintaining the wood yet, but this thing is heavier than even both halves of the Datamancer case. I love it. It feels like it absorbs all the extra sound like pinging, whereas the other case exacerbated them. Also it is slightly higher and angled.

Can see it here: https://imgur.com/a/2KT8z

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:36:29 »

Thickness from top to bottom is not far off. My case isn't beveled though; the shop will charge you extra for that (the stock case is beveled, mine is flat).

Obviously bezels are thicker (can't have wood as thin as the alu on the stock case), but not by much. I have a case with a fat front lip, but it still takes up a smaller footprint (and a denser, higher quality one) than my Ducky Mini when it still had bezels.

Hmm, so would you say it's the same thickness as the front or the back of the Pok3r case?  I guess what I'm wanting is a case that's flat and about as thick as the front (thinnest part) of a Pok3r case.

Thanks!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:40:49 »
I wonder if it would be possible to make a case like how guitars are made. Over time the lacquer could age to a beautiful finish and there would be a market for wooden keyboard cases

Offline spanyam

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:54:59 »

I tried the Pok3r Datamancer case - looks cool, feels alright. I bit too flat for my liking honestly, and too light (even with both pieces together).

Quality/density of wood is important. I bought a 60% Hammer Rosewood Case + Wristrest a while ago though and it feels far superior to my Tex aluminum case. Obviously I can't speak to longevity or any issues maintaining the wood yet, but this thing is heavier than even both halves of the Datamancer case. I love it. It feels like it absorbs all the extra sound like pinging, whereas the other case exacerbated them. Also it is slightly higher and angled.

Oh that is very interesting. Where did you buy that, and did you paint it black yourself? I am particularly interested in heavy cases because I don't plan on transporting the keyboard much.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:58:21 by spanyam »
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:59:40 »

Oh that is very interesting. Where did you buy that, and did you paint it black yourself?

From another GH member overseas. Made by Hammer - I'm not sure if there was a group buy or anything...but it says "limited edition" on the back of the wrist rest.

Pictures make it look darker than it actually is - but no I did not paint it. It's just naturally a very dark, but rich color.

I wish I had more information on the production of the case. All I know fore sure is that it is Rosewood.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:26:27 »
As @mobbo says, it's all about the material.

Wood has a shockingly large range of density, surface texture, and workability.

The Datamancer (and many other cheaper cases) are going to be red oak, which is denser than walnut, but not as dense as hickory or rosewood. Finishes are also going to have a pronounced impact on it as well. Wood that has only been treated with oils are going to be much softer than something that has a lacquer on it.

I am typing on a completely unfinished poplar tray case (it's a prototype) and i personally really like the feel, though it is not durable at all since it's so soft.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:45:59 »
From another GH member overseas. Made by Hammer - I'm not sure if there was a group buy or anything...but it says "limited edition" on the back of the wrist rest.

Pictures make it look darker than it actually is - but no I did not paint it. It's just naturally a very dark, but rich color.

I wish I had more information on the production of the case. All I know fore sure is that it is Rosewood.

Ahh okay, thanks.

The Datamancer (and many other cheaper cases) are going to be red oak, which is denser than walnut, but not as dense as hickory or rosewood. Finishes are also going to have a pronounced impact on it as well. Wood that has only been treated with oils are going to be much softer than something that has a lacquer on it.

I am typing on a completely unfinished poplar tray case (it's a prototype) and i personally really like the feel, though it is not durable at all since it's so soft.

Having worked a bit with wood before, I totally agree. The material and finish do make a big difference to anything made of wood. I'll see if I can find any manufacturer who can make it from heavy wood. Seal Woodworking (https://sealwoodworking.com/) seems to have a few exotic heavy woods, and maybe they can make a custom order.

Any other good sellers?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:14:08 by spanyam »

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:18:32 »

Ahh okay, thanks.

Having worked a bit with wood before, I totally agree. The material and finish do make a big difference to anything made of wood. I'll see if I can find any manufacturer who can make it from heavy wood. Seal Woodworking (https://sealwoodworking.com/) seems to have a few exotic heavy woods, and maybe they can make a custom order.

Any other good sellers?

If it's a heavy wood you're looking for, they offer some types of rather heavy wood. I wouldn't go about looking for a heavy species, given that even a moderately heavy wood can exceed your weight expecatations (these things are built rather thick). It looks like you're looking for something dense and durable.

I found the guide: https://sealwoodworking.com/pages/wood-chart

@inanis runs the place, so i think you should probably ask the expert herself.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:28:15 by exanile_tabasco »

Offline spanyam

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:37:44 »
If it's a heavy wood you're looking for, they offer some types of rather heavy wood. I wouldn't go about looking for a heavy species, given that even a moderately heavy wood can exceed your weight expecatations (these things are built rather thick). It looks like you're looking for something dense and durable.

I found the guide: https://sealwoodworking.com/pages/wood-chart

@inanis runs the place, so i think you should probably ask the expert herself.

Ah thanks. Yeah I did look through the page and found some good info there. The wood database also has some great information, and out of all the options, Tigerwood seems to be very interesting both for its color and durability. I've emailed SEAL through their contact us page already, so in case they don't get back, I'll contact @inanis directly.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:57:40 by spanyam »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 21:51:05 »
Anybody ever make a wooden case for HHKB? Seems like, if done right, it would sound/feel amazing.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 00:54:37 »
Anybody ever make a wooden case for HHKB? Seems like, if done right, it would sound/feel amazing.

In the case of HHKB, I've heard that the plastic mounting on it gives it a slight bit of bounce that contributes to its signature typing feel. Not sure what a wood case would do to that, but it would certainly be interesting to see what people can come up with.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 18:02:23 »
Sorry to revive a bit of an old thread, but I wanted to get an opinion on a case instead of creating a new thread. SEAL Wood working seems to have the best cases available, but they've been unresponsive for weeks now (even Inanis has not responded to any to PMs) :(

So as an alternative, I came across this case on Aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Handcraft-GH60-Solid-Wooden-Case-For-60-Mini-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Compatible-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu-60/429151_32596058719.html

Seems like a pretty solid choice, especially in rosewood, but I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this particular case before. Plus, I've never bought from Aliexpress and have heard some bad stories of obscene delays. Any experience buying from them?

P.S. I've been eying the Royal Glam case on massdrop, but I don't like the tilted profile or the color choices much.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 19:25:03 »
Sorry to revive a bit of an old thread, but I wanted to get an opinion on a case instead of creating a new thread. SEAL Wood working seems to have the best cases available, but they've been unresponsive for weeks now (even Inanis has not responded to any to PMs) :(

So as an alternative, I came across this case on Aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Handcraft-GH60-Solid-Wooden-Case-For-60-Mini-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Compatible-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu-60/429151_32596058719.html

Seems like a pretty solid choice, especially in rosewood, but I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this particular case before. Plus, I've never bought from Aliexpress and have heard some bad stories of obscene delays. Any experience buying from them?

P.S. I've been eying the Royal Glam case on massdrop, but I don't like the tilted profile or the color choices much.

I've purchased many items from them, and I've received my items within 3 weeks.  I received some desoldering wick in 11-12 days.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 19:37:41 »

That one seems inspired by the Datamancer 2-part case. I don't know if I could trust it, but it seems like a viable choice if you can't really get a case anywhere else.

I got my lacewood case in just over a week I think. But it was already sitting around, not newly made.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 21:37:25 »
I've purchased many items from them, and I've received my items within 3 weeks.  I received some desoldering wick in 11-12 days.

Oh, great to know! :)

That one seems inspired by the Datamancer 2-part case. I don't know if I could trust it, but it seems like a viable choice if you can't really get a case anywhere else.

I got my lacewood case in just over a week I think. But it was already sitting around, not newly made.

Yeah, this one also seems to already be in stock, so I'm considering buying one from them. Thanks :)

Offline jaffers

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 21:54:57 »
To be honest, I have found the plate makes a bigger difference to typing feel than the plate ever will, poly carbonate and acrylic plates feel much better than steel or aluminium, but that's just my opinion

Offline spanyam

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 23:30:15 »
To be honest, I have found the plate makes a bigger difference to typing feel than the plate ever will, poly carbonate and acrylic plates feel much better than steel or aluminium, but that's just my opinion

That makes sense, thanks.

Also, I spoke to the seller on Aliexpress, and the rosewood is unfortunately nearly black. Looks like my search continues.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 00:05:43 »

Yeah, this one also seems to already be in stock, so I'm considering buying one from them. Thanks :)

I was going to get in on the drop on massdrop for the Royal Glam (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/royal-glam-60-wood-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open), but I saw the posts from seal woodworking, and thought I might be able to get a wood that I really wanted- Wenge.  But I never heard back from them after making a request for a quote, so I've ordered the Rosewood case from AliExpress, as it's closer to wenge than anything I've been able to find.  I also like the fact that it has a top with it.  Delivery is supposed to be in 20 days, so I'll post back here.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 00:20:44 »
I was going to get in on the drop on massdrop for the Royal Glam (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/royal-glam-60-wood-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open), but I saw the posts from seal woodworking, and thought I might be able to get a wood that I really wanted- Wenge.  But I never heard back from them after making a request for a quote, so I've ordered the Rosewood case from AliExpress, as it's closer to wenge than anything I've been able to find.  I also like the fact that it has a top with it.  Delivery is supposed to be in 20 days, so I'll post back here.

Nice. Yeah I was going to order the same Rosewood case, but it's hyper black (the seller showed me the photo), so I don't think it will work for my intended purpose. I wonder why SEAL has been unresponsive, as they seem to have the best design and wood selection I've seen.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 07:00:50 »

Nice. Yeah I was going to order the same Rosewood case, but it's hyper black (the seller showed me the photo), so I don't think it will work for my intended purpose. I wonder why SEAL has been unresponsive, as they seem to have the best design and wood selection I've seen.

I was wondering the same.  I'd guessed that they were just backed up, so hopefully I'll hear something.  Still would love a wenge case- I've been doing wenge in all of my wooden acquisitions for a while; it's dark without being black, and very dense, and has a very distinct character.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 08:56:34 »
I was wondering the same.  I'd guessed that they were just backed up, so hopefully I'll hear something.  Still would love a wenge case- I've been doing wenge in all of my wooden acquisitions for a while; it's dark without being black, and very dense, and has a very distinct character.

Wenge looks nice. I was looking forward to Tigerwood myself.

Offline Ciemnika

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 09:54:12 »
Wood seems like it'd be great. I'd love a wooden case for my Filco as an alternate to or replacement for the aluminum one I have.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 10:34:31 »
I wonder if it would be possible to make a case like how guitars are made. Over time the lacquer could age to a beautiful finish and there would be a market for wooden keyboard cases

Absolutely. You just need to use a nitrocellulose lacquer finish instead of a polyester finish. However, unlike guitars where you have bright stage lights shining on them as well as sweaty hands of the player, you're unlikely to cause similar wear on a keyboard case. The lacquer will shrink, yellow and crack over time and that may be the effect you want. You would be waiting for a long time for that to happen though as the guitars that are like that are often several decades old.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 11:19:28 »

Absolutely. You just need to use a nitrocellulose lacquer finish instead of a polyester finish. However, unlike guitars where you have bright stage lights shining on them as well as sweaty hands of the player, you're unlikely to cause similar wear on a keyboard case. The lacquer will shrink, yellow and crack over time and that may be the effect you want. You would be waiting for a long time for that to happen though as the guitars that are like that are often several decades old.

Wouldn't the  lacquer also wear differently in this case because of how thick the keyboard case is compared to something like a guitar? How does aged lacquered wood look on dense objects?

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 20:52:01 »

Interesting.  Those Poker pings annoy the hell out of me.  Do you think filling this empty space with foam padding as have seen in other threads will reduce these pings?
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 21:14:45 »
I use cork liner in my wood cases, it softens out the noise.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 21:29:32 »

In that case, would the pins at the bottom of the PCB just sort of press into the cork?

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 02:13:46 »

Interesting.  Those Poker pings annoy the hell out of me.  Do you think filling this empty space with foam padding as have seen in other threads will reduce these pings?

There does not appear to be space in my case for a thin layer of sound dampening foam. My FC660M has a layer below the PCB but in this case it might not work for the sake of the mini-USB cutout's fitment. I think the only thing that can be done is acceptance that the Pok3r is a keyboard with issues with way too many overlooked flaws to meet that "sweet" price point.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 10:47:02 »
So the Royal Glam drop just ended, but looks like there is enough demand for a flat low lipped case that they are planning on adding that as an option for the next drop. Might be a few months away, but good to see nonetheless.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 15:13:46 »

There does not appear to be space in my case for a thin layer of sound dampening foam. My FC660M has a layer below the PCB but in this case it might not work for the sake of the mini-USB cutout's fitment. I think the only thing that can be done is acceptance that the Pok3r is a keyboard with issues with way too many overlooked flaws to meet that "sweet" price point.

I'm just curious, what other flaws do you think the board has?  Yeah it's a tad overpriced, and most boards with plate mounted switches will ping.  I will say the newest pokers being released with the newest firmware suck.  Not as easy to program, especially media functions.  I'm debating getting a leopold, but I have a poker a KBP, so it's kind of a waste.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:59:16 »
I'm just curious, what other flaws do you think the board has?  Yeah it's a tad overpriced, and most boards with plate mounted switches will ping.  I will say the newest pokers being released with the newest firmware suck.  Not as easy to program, especially media functions.  I'm debating getting a leopold, but I have a poker a KBP, so it's kind of a waste.

Ducky Mini (developed sticky (not from spilled drink) Blue switch, no soldering iron/skills = no lubing = no using as main) ==> Pok3r ==> FC660M

I have a white Pok3r. Paint falls off the plate and case like leaves off autumn trees. Ping everywhere, enough to annoy me but not enough and not severe enough to suspect an issue with my specific unit (i.e. I would return it to get one that pings just as badly, plus Corus would probably take my keyboard and never give anything in return). My Ducky Mini pings only on the bracket key I think and the FC660M on Insert, both perfectly fine plate mount. Extremely wobbly switch tops for a plate mounted MX keyboard (I would expect a PCB mounted switch to wobble like this, or perhaps a plate that allows you to remove tops without desoldering, which the Pok3r's plate does not). Cast case with aforementioned paint issues that does not sit evenly unlike every other keyboard, mech or otherwise, that I've owned. Favourite DSA set wobbles to the point that I just go and take it off. Etc.

I had always respected the inferiority of MX-style switches and the superiority of Topre (yes, through personal experience) but when the DT review likened the FC660C to a refined luxury automobile and the FC660M a cheap car, I was stunned as the FC660M had brought me so much joy in replacing the Pok3r as my primary keyboard and felt in every way like pure perfection. For a moment, I couldn't imagine anything feeling better than my FC660M. (Still not entirely accepting, but I remember that 45g Topre feels like heaven now)

I feel like wood makes some of the more apparent flaws less annoying in nature, though at the end of the day it's still a Pok3r. I put up with it though, and I am willing to put up with it until I build up financial confidence and savings significant enough to motivate me to build a GH60. But for the time being, Lacewood makes my keyboard more enjoyable: less ping (subjective), adjustable tilt with hemispherical feet, more side protection for keys such as DSA, and less unnecessary weight.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:04:58 by exanile_tabasco »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:15:23 »

In that case, would the pins at the bottom of the PCB just sort of press into the cork?

Yup.  Punch holes for the standoffs and you're good to go.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 23:19:52 »
Oh very interesting :D I may have to resort to it when I eventually find a good wood case.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 06:23:22 »

Wouldn't the  lacquer also wear differently in this case because of how thick the keyboard case is compared to something like a guitar? How does aged lacquered wood look on dense objects?

Electric guitars are much thicker than keyboard cases. I dont think there is a difference in how the lacquer reacts.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 07:29:42 »
Oh right I forgot about electrics. I think keyboard cases fall into a similar category as furniture when it comes to the treatment of wood.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 07:38:23 »
On the same subject: has anyone tried a bamboo keyboard case?

I would think the acoustics of a wooden case would add some detail to sound of the switches :)
Chris Schammert

Offline ntelope

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 10:50:35 »
On the same subject: has anyone tried a bamboo keyboard case?

I would think the acoustics of a wooden case would add some detail to sound of the switches :)

bamboo sounds so dope  ;D
although I found out wood cases are pretty darn expensive, so I would probably be trying to get a novatouch hydrodipped

Offline spanyam

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 12:04:39 »
although I found out wood cases are pretty darn expensive, so I would probably be trying to get a novatouch hydrodipped

Actually, wood cases seem about as expensive or cheaper than aluminum cases. The ubiquitous TEX alu case retails for $120, for example, while most wood cases start around $80.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:27:14 »

Finally got the case on my pok3r changed out.

Alongside the original case for comparison:

And in action:

Definitely changes the feel of typing on it; it's a solidly made case, and fits the board very tightly.  It came with feet, but as I have it on a mouse pad, I decided not to install them.  It's heavy enough that once I put it on the pad, it doesn't move.  Now I just need a matching rest...

Offline spanyam

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 03:35:32 »
Thanks for the update! It really does look nice on your Pok3r, and I'm glad to hear it feels good to type on.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:03:38 »

Actually, wood cases seem about as expensive or cheaper than aluminum cases. The ubiquitous TEX alu case retails for $120, for example, while most wood cases start around $80.

I'd agree.  My next is going to be bamboo- I think I've gotten into wood over metal.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Handcraft-GH60-Solid-Wooden-Case-For-60-Mini-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Compatible-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu-60/32596058719.html

I got my rosewood one at $90.  The bamboo is $105.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:22:39 »

I'd agree.  My next is going to be bamboo- I think I've gotten into wood over metal.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Handcraft-GH60-Solid-Wooden-Case-For-60-Mini-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Compatible-Poker2-Pok3r-Faceu-60/32596058719.html

Whoa, you ordered yours from Aliexpress? This is one of those rare moments when someone confirms an Aliexpress merchant :) The top cover is an impressive incentive!
Chris Schammert

Offline spanyam

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:30:04 »

Whoa, you ordered yours from Aliexpress? This is one of those rare moments when someone confirms an Aliexpress merchant :) The top cover is an impressive incentive!

I also almost ordered that exact same one, actually. Only the darkness of the wood and the case's doubtful compatibility with SA keycaps turned me off.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:32:36 »

This is my second order from them.  Both have gone off flawlessly, even though I never used what I got the first time.  Some metallic numeric keycaps, but I decided not to use them.  And I think it would be compatible with SA's.  I have the default cherry profile on mine and it works great.  I'll try to put one SA on, and let you know.