Author Topic: [IC] GMK Shoko  (Read 60469 times)

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK Shoko
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 19:06:41 »
1. Icon mods would be refreshing on this set, and I don’t know why but it might be subtlety between colors that’s making me really gravitate to icon mods looking better.

2. The red enter key reminds me of that fish or firefighter set we had a while back, honestly can’t remember the name of it, nor if it made MOQ. But I don’t like the color, it’s too bright, maybe a pastel/ less saturated color might work better but I wouldn’t end up using it, the set already looked good without it imo. The “Cool!!” is especially bad, font and everything. (I’m still in favor of the light blue accent color)

3. Novelties need some work, the left most one is un-recognizable and the rest seem random and I would rather them left out at this state for a cheaper set. This set reminds me a lot of GMK Fate before it was terminated, and I liked the novelties on that one as both of these sets are also “anime” inspired in some way, maybe people could give ideas for icon ideas?
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 19:08:47 by dimo »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Re: [IC] GMK Shoko
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 06:41:07 »
2. The red enter key reminds me of that fish or firefighter set we had a while back, honestly can’t remember the name of it, nor if it made MOQ. But I don’t like the color, it’s too bright, maybe a pastel/ less saturated color might work better but I wouldn’t end up using it, the set already looked good without it imo. The “Cool!!” is especially bad, font and everything. (I’m still in favor of the light blue accent color)

Agreed.

(It was Fishbed, based on the cockpit of the MiG-21)
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline dimo

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 14:12:42 »

Agreed.

(It was Fishbed, based on the cockpit of the MiG-21)

That's the one :]

Offline lunr

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 08:16:44 »
I agree with everyone else that the red enter is a tad bright. Maybe like a pastel red similar to the other colours or match her red tie in the picture on the first post.

Maybe it's me but I prefer a red ESC than Enter.

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 02:50:04 »
Should be almost final now, looking at the novelties, I feel like some were too obscure to be used by many, so I settled on less. Though, I may end up deciding none at all. But main changes are a few removed keys, and the novelties are bottom row now (the sun and umbrella ones) I might add top row ones again if I have enough ideas that works, but that's looking unlikely now.

If anyone wants to see the set in icons, it's here (P.S. still no official GMK renders yet, I will try to get those this weekend or next week). It's still not too late to vote: https://www.strawpoll.me/15867860
More

1. Icon mods would be refreshing on this set, and I don’t know why but it might be subtlety between colors that’s making me really gravitate to icon mods looking better. I throw another render with icon mods.

2. The red enter key reminds me of that fish or firefighter set we had a while back, honestly can’t remember the name of it, nor if it made MOQ. But I don’t like the color, it’s too bright, maybe a pastel/ less saturated color might work better but I wouldn’t end up using it, the set already looked good without it imo. The “Cool!!” is especially bad, font and everything. (I’m still in favor of the light blue accent color) Yeah I kinda thought about it, it didn't fit in. The Cool was from Pop'n Music, but it just doesn't fit here.

3. Novelties need some work, the left most one is un-recognizable and the rest seem random and I would rather them left out at this state for a cheaper set. This set reminds me a lot of GMK Fate before it was terminated, and I liked the novelties on that one as both of these sets are also “anime” inspired in some way, maybe people could give ideas for icon ideas? The leftmost one was the pop-kun, but I think it's kinda too obscure to be used by most people so I'm gonna leave it out now. If anyone could throw ideas then it'd be cool. P.S. not a great artist anyways.

Replies in Bold.
Anyways I appreciate any feedback I get, and it's helping pushing this set forward

Offline portbaron

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 03:09:05 »
That looks good to me. The cool understated colors are what sell this set.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 04:02:53 »
Should be almost final now, looking at the novelties, I feel like some were too obscure to be used by many, so I settled on less. Though, I may end up deciding none at all. But main changes are a few removed keys, and the novelties are bottom row now (the sun and umbrella ones) I might add top row ones again if I have enough ideas that works, but that's looking unlikely now.
Show Image

If anyone wants to see the set in icons, it's here (P.S. still no official GMK renders yet, I will try to get those this weekend or next week). It's still not too late to vote: https://www.strawpoll.me/15867860
More
Show Image

1. Icon mods would be refreshing on this set, and I don’t know why but it might be subtlety between colors that’s making me really gravitate to icon mods looking better. I throw another render with icon mods.

2. The red enter key reminds me of that fish or firefighter set we had a while back, honestly can’t remember the name of it, nor if it made MOQ. But I don’t like the color, it’s too bright, maybe a pastel/ less saturated color might work better but I wouldn’t end up using it, the set already looked good without it imo. The “Cool!!” is especially bad, font and everything. (I’m still in favor of the light blue accent color) Yeah I kinda thought about it, it didn't fit in. The Cool was from Pop'n Music, but it just doesn't fit here.

3. Novelties need some work, the left most one is un-recognizable and the rest seem random and I would rather them left out at this state for a cheaper set. This set reminds me a lot of GMK Fate before it was terminated, and I liked the novelties on that one as both of these sets are also “anime” inspired in some way, maybe people could give ideas for icon ideas? The leftmost one was the pop-kun, but I think it's kinda too obscure to be used by most people so I'm gonna leave it out now. If anyone could throw ideas then it'd be cool. P.S. not a great artist anyways.

Replies in Bold.
Anyways I appreciate any feedback I get, and it's helping pushing this set forward

Am I blind or the @‘ keycap for the iso uk layout is missing?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 04:44:05 »
Really nice colorscheme.
It's not a criticism bur your 2 novelties doesn't have the same stroke thickness, it's a pity!

Let me know if you need some help for that, I could redraw it easily ;)

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 04:51:54 »
I think this set is already looking good. I wish it had hiragana text though, but either way I'm ready to throw my money on the screen.  :))

Offline Nujabez0

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 06:12:55 »
Will this support Winkeyless boards? If it does I'm definitely in!

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 11:32:10 »
stunning... the keyset look so cold haha

Offline dimo

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 11:39:13 »
Show Image

More
Show Image

Replies in Bold.

Love all the changes, novelties still need some work but this is a good step forward :thumb:

ps. can we get a render with Hiragana sublegends and Hiragana only legends? It'll probably end up being latin but just to get an idea :x

Offline Bits

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 11:39:31 »
I'm not sure if the BSB novelty icon is the best suit for this set especially with the color-scheme. I'd expect it on a much brighter/beach themed set. Maybe instead have a tran novelty?
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2018, 11:46:17 by Bits »

Offline dimo

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 11:52:18 »
I would focus on novelties focused on the theme of "ice", or similar coldness- like a crystal/ iceberg or something.

No one will want anime references when most will not understand the purpose.

The umbrella is too large currently and doesn't fit with what I think is the theme of the set. Same with the sun, looks like a young childs drawing and is the opposite of the set's color theme.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 17:27:37 »
I guess the only thing I might tweak would be a slightly smaller umbrella as another said, and maybe not a sun for the other novelty? Maybe a music note or something?

I would vote against hiragana legends, too many of those around now and this set looks cleaner and classier without them IMO.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 19:18:12 »
Just make all the novelties Dosue. Problem solved!

Offline JJ

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 10:43:31 »
Ne updates? Would be fine with no novelties for me personally

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline dimo

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 11:18:33 »
Any updates??

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 02:20:04 »
Sorry for the delay, I have a few updates.

First of all, I got a few beautiful renders from Janglad and they look absolutely stunning:

Then the other update is that I have Pantone sheets for the colors now so I can make sure that the color samples from GMK are satisfactory.
More

Finally, just one change to the set, I decided on no novelties since I didn't want to force something that I feel like I couldn't make perfectly, but if anyone wants to design and submit some then feel free to. I am currently on the works on trying to contact a few vendors to help run the set as well when the time is appropriate (definitely after GMK OG TA), so hopefully all goes well.

Also we have a signature now

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95821.0][img width=480 height=170]https://raysasquach.s-ul.eu/xwpRPdpW.png[/img][/url]

Offline portbaron

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 02:51:37 »
Awesome, definitely in.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline gutsack

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 04:10:33 »
Looking good!

Offline Weiss

• Impulse buying at its finest
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 04:23:56 »
Looks great, has great character.

I very much like the almost muted colors, and am looking forward to joining this when it drops.

One thing I do want to say is that with all the custom colors it looks like you're using, I'd definitely recommend following closely to the production of the set to make sure the original look is there in the colors. I'd hate for this to turn into another Solarized Dark case in which the completed product do not match the renders or concepts of the set.

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 05:21:43 »
Oh this is so beautiful!

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK Shoko
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:14:38 »
Looks great, has great character.

I very much like the almost muted colors, and am looking forward to joining this when it drops.

One thing I do want to say is that with all the custom colors it looks like you're using, I'd definitely recommend following closely to the production of the set to make sure the original look is there in the colors. I'd hate for this to turn into another Solarized Dark case in which the completed product do not match the renders or concepts of the set.

Agreed, the color differences between each is so slight that this could be ruined very easily

but I’m optimistic nonetheless! Renders look great

Offline gnunin

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 02:32:11 »
Love the muted look on this set. Fingers crossed :]

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 04:14:25 »
Is it too late to request for an R2 1.5 Backspace?  :p

Offline JJ

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 23:02:20 »
Def in for this one!

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 12:08:27 »
The set looks absolutely amazing! Congrats man!  :-*

Any plans to add a Colevrak kit?
Ergodox or just making blanks available in the accent colors would be amazing too.

I'm in 100% if it gets those kits, specially the Colevrak one :)

Offline gnunin

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 12:19:55 »
Any "timeline" yet Ray?  :)

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 02:14:13 »
Are we still moving forward with the set? I recently dig the muted/classic color theme a lot!

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 07:49:56 »
Yes please, don’t let this die. If it runs it’s going to look great on my future mao JER-A06. Any possibility of a render with that combo?

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 01:48:18 »
Would love to see this keyset move forward into production!

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 10:35:28 »
Joined Geekhack because of this set. Really hoping this moves forward.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 06:34:18 »
Yea really hope OP would continue to support this project. Toogood to let it die. Would grab a set for sure!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 13:41:08 »
Yea really hope OP would continue to support this project. Toogood to let it die. Would grab a set for sure!

Is it not moving forward? Lets make this happen.

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 15:11:30 »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been kinda busy, but I do have one notable one at least: expect an interest check on Kono soon. Other announcements should be made soon such as pricing and hopefully proxies.

Also I noticed I didn't post the previous update here, but I added an icon mod set and added a R4 1.5u Fn key.
GMK's Keyset render
More

Thanks for the support and let's finally make this happen.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 21:54:34 »
Very nice. Hehe I'm pumped xD.

Offline gnunin

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 23:56:13 »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been kinda busy, but I do have one notable one at least: expect an interest check on Kono soon. Other announcements should be made soon such as pricing and hopefully proxies.

Also I noticed I didn't post the previous update here, but I added an icon mod set and added a R4 1.5u Fn key.
GMK's Keyset render
More
Show Image
Show Image

Fantastic news Ray! Can't wait  :thumb:

Offline portbaron

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 11:58:36 »
Good stuff
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 18:14:00 »

GMK's Keyset render
More
Show Image
Show Image

Is kono the only vendor or are there other vendors? Thank you!

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 23:09:07 »
colors on this set are soothing lol would buy just for that fact.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 21:10:44 »

GMK's Keyset render
More
Show Image
Show Image

Is there a timeline? I don't check kono often, and hopefully won't miss this.

Offline gnunin

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker

Offline sirosoup

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 08:47:37 »
I really like this set.

For the colors, are the keyboard or keyset renders more accurate? I like how the blue on the legends aren't too muted that they almost blend in with the white caps, but I can only see that on the keyboard renders. The keyset renders look like the blue legends are much lighter.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Offline mkarlsson

Offline esavage

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 21:36:55 »
this looks very nice, will definitely buy this

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 15:42:58 »
Would be interested. Any idea of timing?

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 04:14:57 »
Welp, a few minor updates and this is most likely going to be the final update before the group buy actually starts, and sorry for the lack of updates (also new renders on the first page):
I added an icon tab key since I forgot about it in the first Icon Mods render:

I also did get a spacebar render, I am most likely going to have it as an option for a kit to buy:

For vendors, Kono is already confirmed for sure for NA. ZFrontier is most likely going to be the Asian proxy (talked to them briefly a while back about it). Europe I still need to talk to Mykeyboard for the EU proxy who I hope to be the one to be the proxy for EU. Also if there's any other region that would want a proxy, then post here or Keebtalk.