Author Topic: Reverse Engineering DDConf  (Read 9025 times)

Offline bamrocket

Reverse Engineering DDConf
« on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 12:05:55 »
Hey this might be the wrong section to create this topic, but spare me.

I have this DDMicro which I'm loving. The software used to flash the firmware (DDConf) is really barebones and I'd like to append features to it. Sadly the folks over at KBD are unlikely to share the source code with me.
I'm a CS Dork and know this is something I can reverse engineer with the right snooper.
Before I spent ages going down the rabbit hole of looking for snooping software for my USB port etc, I thought I would poke my head in over here and see if anybody had tips.

My plan is to put a sniffer/snooper on my USB port and see what data DDConf is sending to my keyboard during a flash.

The goal is to rebuild the DDConf software to be used on Linux.
To allow DDConf to set different LED colors for different function layers.
Add Media Keys.
Make a GUI for the layout configuration.
Set profiles by "locking in" groups of function layers.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 12:08:09 by bamrocket »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Reverse Engineering DDConf
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 13:45:39 »
The hack in geekhack is not that kind of hacking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 19:02:05 by SpAmRaY »

Offline bamrocket

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 17:01:38 »
Do you have a link or something? I'm afraid I'm not catching what you are referencing.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 23:56:05 »
I have a DDMicro with G18 firmware. Do you know how I can record the dead keys of an Swedish layout in the configuration file? In my case any of the accented characters makes the process to be aborted. The firmware support the swedish encode but it cannot read any of the dead keys.

The dead keys are the ones in red:

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 00:26:33 »
I have a DDMicro with G18 firmware. Do you know how I can record the dead keys of an Swedish layout in the configuration file? In my case any of the accented characters makes the process to be aborted. The firmware support the swedish encode but it cannot read any of the dead keys.

If you are looking for OP to respond, they probably never will...they haven't even logged in since september of last year. Wish you luck though lol.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 09:57:03 »

If you are looking for OP to respond, they probably never will...they haven't even logged in since september of last year. Wish you luck though lol.

You are right, I had to solve the first issue that I had with mixed G17 and G18 config files. This time I wrote the developer by email hoping that she/he replays. Any way, the board works as charm using US encode, but with it, there is no way to setup the ISO key besides the left shift. Using swedish the dead keys cannot be set up.  :)) [size=78%] [/size]

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 23:13:27 »
I finally solved all the issues with my DDMicro and it works great with a swedish layout. If someone is having issues with programming a DDMicro I can share my experience and the feedback that I got from the developer, that replied pretty quickly, btw.

Offline lukelex

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 10:59:46 »
@ideus How did you end up doing it? I'm in need of Danish characters support.

Offline lukelex

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 11:03:07 »
@bamrocket did you manage to advance on reverse engineering? I'd be up to help supporting such endeavour.

Offline thawac

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 14:45:24 »
Did you make any progress? I'm also trying to add media keys and some German characters, without success so far.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:42:02 »
I finally solved all the issues with my DDMicro and it works great with a swedish layout. If someone is having issues with programming a DDMicro I can share my experience and the feedback that I got from the developer, that replied pretty quickly, btw.

Sorry for the late response. For some reason I missed your post. The files that I used are attached. Please modify the configuration file to your needs. As I write in Spanish, English and French I fine tunning it for my own needs. Just be sure that the file is UTF8 encoded. Any other encoding aborts the flashing process.

Offline thawac

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 08:30:31 »
Thank you for the response, ideus! It's great to see other people's configurations and get inspirations Why did you choose to use the SV encoding? I did not really understand the purpose of it.