Author Topic: Moderately priced compact keyboard without Fn-shenanigans?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline 1cc

Moderately priced compact keyboard without Fn-shenanigans?
« on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:57:37 »
Hi tere, I'm looking for an "affordable" TKL or even better 60% form factor, that doesn't come with a retarded hardware Fn-layer that can't be changed (like HHKB, HPE, Keycool, PLU 87, Noppoo Choc, Poker, Pure, Ducky, Quickfire, G600, ...). I'd rather do that **** in software.

Too bad I missed the GH60 group buy, but maybe there is something I'm missing? I guess there are Filco and Topre TKLs, but they're expensive as ****. Is there hope left?
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:06:16 by 1cc »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Moderately priced compact keyboard without Fn-shenanigans?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:06:48 »
If you can wait, I would definitely hold out for someone who changes their mind and doesn't want their GH60 order anymore.

You can pick up sth's PCB, 1.5 ANSI plate and stabs right now, or wait for other offers.

Link - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35467.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:20:43 »
What about lurking for a cheap Filco TKL board and then putting a HID Liberator in it?

Offline ishtob

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 01:55:26 »
I know exactly what you mean, you could go the custom route like me, look up the dox project all together is going to cost you around $200-300 worth of DIY parts and case

plus I have all the Fn keys where I want it

Offline 1cc

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:19:53 »
If you can wait, I would definitely hold out for someone who changes their mind and doesn't want their GH60 order anymore.

You can pick up sth's PCB, 1.5 ANSI plate and stabs right now, or wait for other offers.

How would I go about this, is there a waiting list for unfortunate beings like me or do I have to lurk the buy/sell forum?

What about lurking for a cheap Filco TKL board and then putting a HID Liberator in it?
What is this liberator thing, sounds like fun. (http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=HID_Liberator isn't helping)

I know exactly what you mean, you could go the custom route like me, look up the dox project all together is going to cost you around $200-300 worth of DIY parts and case

Show Image

Sounds neat, but that's way above my budget.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:21:53 »

How would I go about this, is there a waiting list for unfortunate beings like me or do I have to lurk the buy/sell forum?

You'd have to pay attention to the F/S section and PM people who were giving away their rights to GH60 stuff, just like the link I provided to sth's thread.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:22:41 »
Check this link out for info on the HID Liberation thingy. I just call it the HID Liberator but I'm not sure that's the proper name. And just FYI, a "Site:geekhack.org (search term here)" search on Google works way better than the GH Wiki and GH Search.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:26:00 »
CPTBadAss ninja'd me, but yeah, it's bpiphany's HID Liberation Device.

I'm actually selling a Filco with an HLD right now here, if you're interested.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline 1cc

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 17:27:19 »
Thanks for the offer jdcarpe, this price is hot, but I don't think it's the right board for me. Slap me if I'm wrong, but the stock Filco TKL has no Fn-key, so I'd already have ALL modifiers available. I guess it's great if you're on other machines all the time, but I have one Linux box to toy around with all day, and I can do all this crazy layout remapping stuff in software. The way I see it, the Filco is already free from hardware Fn-bull****. There's no need to liberate it.

But rest assured, this beauty will make one geekhacker very happy, one who'll appreciate it more than I ever could.

All of this makes me wonder, is there a way to liberate a Poker, i.e. can you restore the right alt key on one of those?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 18:43:07 »
What is wrong with doing the work on the hardware side? Software just adds more work for you computer.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 18:52:26 »
GH60's will definitely hit the market.  There's just so many of them.  Also there will probably be another run next year, right?  The HIDLib on a Filco is also a cool option.  I have one and I like it.

Offline 1cc

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 08:09:51 »
What is wrong with doing the work on the hardware side? Software just adds more work for you computer.
Your computer already uses a specific layout by default, changing that to a custom layout doesn't add any more work. And there is indeed nothing wrong with doing it on the hardware side, it's just not necessary in my case.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 08:11:42 by 1cc »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 08:33:47 »
Thanks for the offer jdcarpe, this price is hot, but I don't think it's the right board for me. Slap me if I'm wrong, but the stock Filco TKL has no Fn-key, so I'd already have ALL modifiers available. I guess it's great if you're on other machines all the time, but I have one Linux box to toy around with all day, and I can do all this crazy layout remapping stuff in software. The way I see it, the Filco is already free from hardware Fn-bull****. There's no need to liberate it.

But rest assured, this beauty will make one geekhacker very happy, one who'll appreciate it more than I ever could.

All of this makes me wonder, is there a way to liberate a Poker, i.e. can you restore the right alt key on one of those?

I don't think so.  I tried very, very hard to liberate a Race, which uses the same controller.  And I have multiple Pokers right now that I would love to liberate or at least re-map a bit.

What, exactly, do you want to change on the Poker?

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 10:17:10 »
The Poker II has a fully programmable Fn layer, so that is what I'm going with.

Offline 1cc

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 10:50:52 »
Do you mean this abomination?
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39271.0http://www.heavy-arm.com/product.php?id_product=459

All keys (except for Fn and Pn) are fully hardware programmable.
No thanks, lol.

What, exactly, do you want to change on the Poker?
Simple, I want to turn Fn back to alt.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:06:12 by 1cc »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:06:13 »
Just get a Poker, slash the FN trace, and wire it to the other Alt key.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:07:10 »
Or get a GH60 and program the keys how you like. You don't need any stinkin' Fn or Pn keys. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:08:05 »
Ahem, that's out. You should know this by now. :P

Offline 1cc

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:37:36 »
I could get a new Poker with black MX for 100 bucks...

Did you do this? Is it hard? I've never soldered a thing, you know.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:41:38 »

If we knew the controller matrix pinout, you could wire it directly to the correct pins, assuming RALT is in the matrix somewhere...

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 14:55:39 »

If we knew the controller matrix pinout, you could wire it directly to the correct pins, assuming RALT is in the matrix somewhere...

The problem I had doing this on the Race was that the programmers allowed duplicates to exist in the matrix if it didn't interfere with the keys they were using.  So RALT might exist in the matrix on a position that will also give you a PGDN.

Anyhow, this would be simple to check with a jumper and XEV.

For now, the matrix is a modification of the matrix shown on page 20 of the attached PDF.

[update]

Done.  RALT is at the intersection between B+ and LALT- without any problems.

Here is the output from my Poker and a jumper:

LALT:
KeyPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
    root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 962829505, (166,-10), root:(2528,558),
    state 0x10, keycode 64 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
    root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 962829577, (166,-10), root:(2528,558),
    state 0x90, keycode 64 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,

Artificial RALT:
KeyPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
    root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 962909193, (167,-23), root:(2513,545),
    state 0x10, keycode 108 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 64
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
    root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 962909512, (167,-23), root:(2513,545),
    state 0x90, keycode 108 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 64

That means that one cut and two jumpers will return RALT to its normal position on a Poker.  However, you will also lose the function key altogether.  So no F1-12, no arrow keys, etc.

[/update]

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 18:56:28 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline 1cc

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 16:57:06 »
Sounds great, thanks!

With jumper you mean cable and with intersection you mean solder point? Or is it even simpler, like just putting a blob of solder on two adjacent points?

Maybe I can do this.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Modify Poker PCB to Replace FN key with Right ALT
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 18:41:57 »
Sounds great, thanks!

With jumper you mean cable and with intersection you mean solder point? Or is it even simpler, like just putting a blob of solder on two adjacent points?

Maybe I can do this.

OK, you understand that you will lose all Function-layer operations, right?  That means that every key that requires the FN key will disappear from your keyboard.  This specifically includes the Escape key and the Delete key.  I do not know how you will do Ctrl-Alt-Del afterwards, but if that is really, really ok with you, then here is how to do it.

THE FOLLOWING SHOULD WORK, BUT MIGHT DESTROY YOUR PCB!!!

Get someone to help if you are not 100% sure you can do this safely.

23205-0
Poker PCB showing mods to put RALT where FN normally is.

#1  Try this with a jumper first.

1a. Touch a wire between points A-1 and B-1.
1b. Verify that this registered on YOUR keyboard and YOUR PC as RALT.
(In Linux this is easy using the "xev" command.  I don't know about Mac OS or Windows.)

Because you have not disabled anything, the keyboard ALSO should think you pressed FN.

#2  Add the jumper wires.  Thin, insulated, solid core wire is best.  I use 24-28 gauge wire.

2a. Carefully solder a wire between A-1 and A-2.  Make sure you are soldering to the POSITIVE (+) END of the tiny diodes.  Do NOT de-solder the diodes.
2b. Solder another wire between B-1 and B-2.  This is easier; just don't de-solder the switches!

Repeat the test above EXCEPT now you can just press the key that used to be FN.  It should now be RALT (and still FN.)

Ok, so far everything you've done can be undone, assuming you didn't melt any traces or otherwise damage the PCB.

THIS IS THE DANGEROUS STEP.  IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR PCB.

#3  Cut the trace at C-1 with an X-Acto.  This will sever the FN switch's normal connection.

3a.  Cut C-1 WHERE THE BLUE LINE INDICATES.  Do NOT cut the trace immediately above the blue line.  Cut just ONE trace, and cut it just BELOW both via holes.  No need to pull it out or dig a hole in the board.  The signal just needs to be broken.

Test the new RALT key now.  It should just be an Alt key, no FN anymore.

All good?

#4  Clean up and tie things down.

4a. Put a tiny dab of clear nail polish on the cut at C-1.  This will prevent anything getting in there and restoring the contact.
4b. Use a few dabs of hot-melt glue to hold the two wires neatly to the PCB so they don't get pulled or come loose.

DONE

I hope that worked. I wouldn't have done it, but it is a straightforward mod.

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 18:48:51 by samwisekoi »

Offline 1cc

Re: Modify Poker PCB to Replace FN key with Right ALT
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 04:49:55 »
Thank you very much! I might attempt this if I find someone who can help me with the soldering.

OK, you understand that you will lose all Function-layer operations, right?  That means that every key that requires the FN key will disappear from your keyboard.  This specifically includes the Escape key and the Delete key.  I do not know how you will do Ctrl-Alt-Del afterwards, but if that is really, really ok with you, then here is how to do it.[/b
No it's not ok, it's perfect.

I wouldn't have done it
You don't need a right Alt key?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Modify Poker PCB to Replace FN key with Right ALT
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 07:47:08 »
Thank you very much! I might attempt this if I find someone who can help me with the soldering.

OK, you understand that you will lose all Function-layer operations, right?  That means that every key that requires the FN key will disappear from your keyboard.  This specifically includes the Escape key and the Delete key.  I do not know how you will do Ctrl-Alt-Del afterwards, but if that is really, really ok with you, then here is how to do it.
No it's not ok, it's perfect.

I wouldn't have done it
You don't need a right Alt key?

No, nor do I need WIN or MENU, since I use Linux.  But I do need arrow keys, function keys, and escape.  I knew my way around the Poker/Race matrix because of past attempts to move the FN key so I could re-map the right mods into arrow keys.

If I were King, the Poker bottom row would be:

CTRL - FN - ALT - SPACE - LEFT - RIGHT - DOWN - UP

But while it was possible to make RALT work for you, the arrow keys are badly programmed in the unchangable firmware.

Anyhow, this mod took way longer to document than it would to do, so if you find someone to help with the soldering, or even watch over you, this is a pretty easy mod.

Good luck!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline 1cc

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 11:59:09 »
No, nor do I need WIN or MENU, since I use Linux.  But I do need arrow keys, function keys, and escape.

Haha that's funny, because I don't use the arrow keys, Esc, or F-keys anymore since I switched to Linux.

I guess I can live without Super keys too, but Menu is my right Ctrl key, and I sure would miss that. Also, I find right Alt to be very handy for short-cutting on the terminal, I guess you just don't use it that much? Then again, I have to admit that the "thumb modifiers" are the easiest to press one-handed together with another key on the same side of the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 May 2013, 12:01:44 by 1cc »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 22:55:58 »
This thread is straight insane.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 23:00:28 »
I agree. Things got out of hand quickly. Oh well.

Offline 1cc

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 06:28:34 »
This thread is straight insane.
Mission accomplished!

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 06:30:46 »

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 08:09:01 »

Show Image

umm... Where can I get caps like those? I really like them. PBT?
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues