Author Topic: ...and a few $$$ later  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Seaman

...and a few $$$ later
« on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:23:12 »
I've been lurking on GH for the last few months.
Topre boards really caught my interest, HHKB in particular.
Managed to grab one off of ebay for $180 shipped.
Super excited!
Keyboard arrives...
...just the keyboard, no miniUSB or manual or original packaging.
No problem, description/pics only contained keyboard.
Description says lightly used.
Lightly used.... hmmmmm.
No shining on spacebar, but keycaps are groady.
I have trouble with my own finger cheese on keys...
...major issues with someone elses finger cheese on said keycaps.
Case looks ok, a few (coffee/tea?) stains.
Slightly grossed out at this point.
No problem though, GH here to save the day!
Find thread on GH about using denture cleaner to clean keycaps, and pillowcase/dryer method of drying keycaps.
Following instructions.
keycaps come out looking amazing!
while keycaps are off board, verify that board has proper domes and springs and sliders
happy to find that board is standard and not missing anything
clean outside of case
stains come off easily
put everything together and
thock thock thock thock thock thock thock

...realize i didn't take pictures of process
pics or it didnt happen
fail...

at any rate
...hi!

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
Re: ...and a few $$$ later
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:36:56 »
Welcome to GH!

I see you signed up a month ago, nice to see your first post :)
Is this your first mechanical keyboard, or just your first topre?

Glad to see you've dealt with the situation and come out with a great product.

You can always dirty up the keyboard and re-do the entire process :D
Either way, was a nice little read and i could visualize everything.

Hope you have fun typing on your new board!

Offline Seaman

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:58:46 »
Welcome to GH!

I see you signed up a month ago, nice to see your first post :)
Is this your first mechanical keyboard, or just your first topre?

Glad to see you've dealt with the situation and come out with a great product.

You can always dirty up the keyboard and re-do the entire process :D
Either way, was a nice little read and i could visualize everything.

Hope you have fun typing on your new board!
Thanks for the response :)

First topre, second mechanical. First mech was a wasd v2 87 with clears, which i still enjoy a lot. moving to hhkb layout was a little strange, but the layout is growing on me... still have trouble with backslash and grave keys.

here is some proof that I atleast have an hhkb (with no finger cheese!):

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 17:58:51 »
Cool cool!

Clears are great. I sadly haven't finished building my keyboard with clears.
But the change to the HHKB layout is a bit difficult.
If you keep using it, you get use to it, but the transition period when you swap keyboard is what always messes me up.

How are you liking the topre switch?

That's one clean board. Looks cleaner than mine! I'll have to give it a nice cleaning when I get the chance :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 21:21:36 »
Haha I love this story. Not the beginning, but the ending.  :)

Welcome! Hope you stick around for awhile.  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 05:10:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A wonderful story of an HHKB brought back from the brink.  Mine fortunately only had a bit of shine on the space bar, alleviated by replacing it recently with a PBT one from matt3o (highly recommended, btw).

I also didn't get the original box with mine, but I did get a cable.  Fortunately most standard USB cables work.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Seaman

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:31:25 »
Woo more responses! I didn't think to check until now, I should have set the thread to notify earlier.

Cool cool!

Clears are great. I sadly haven't finished building my keyboard with clears.
But the change to the HHKB layout is a bit difficult.
If you keep using it, you get use to it, but the transition period when you swap keyboard is what always messes me up.

How are you liking the topre switch?

That's one clean board. Looks cleaner than mine! I'll have to give it a nice cleaning when I get the chance :)

I love clears! Although the WASD v2 87 has this really annoying ping sound when you type on it. I've been looking at GH articles on dampening the noise.. although I'm not sure if it's mostly the switches or the case, or both?

Oh man, I love the HHKB feel and sound. The backslash and grave still cause me to look at the board sometimes, but I'm comfortable with using Fn for arrow keys now. This keyboard has also been really nice when using vim.

Haha I love this story. Not the beginning, but the ending.  :)

Welcome! Hope you stick around for awhile.  :thumb:

You can count on it. Hopefully, I can figure out something to do to help contribute... but as far as participation goes; my girlfriend and I always carve pumpkins for halloween so hopefully we can carve up some good ones for the bunny/bro carving challenge :D. I'm also going to have a whole bunch of binge's stickers soon, pretty excited about that.

Welcome to Geekhack!

A wonderful story of an HHKB brought back from the brink.  Mine fortunately only had a bit of shine on the space bar, alleviated by replacing it recently with a PBT one from matt3o (highly recommended, btw).

I also didn't get the original box with mine, but I did get a cable.  Fortunately most standard USB cables work.

I really want one of those spacebars! That group buy was done on massdrop right? I think I remember seeing it. Hopefully there will be some more soon! You know I had a hell of a time finding usb to usb-mini locally. At first I went to radioshack and they wanted $21 for a usb to usb-mini... uhh yeah right. I grabbed a few from amazon for $5 ea and got them in two days! That also allowed me to get white ones.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 03:18:47 »
I really want one of those spacebars! That group buy was done on massdrop right? I think I remember seeing it. Hopefully there will be some more soon! You know I had a hell of a time finding usb to usb-mini locally. At first I went to radioshack and they wanted $21 for a usb to usb-mini... uhh yeah right. I grabbed a few from amazon for $5 ea and got them in two days! That also allowed me to get white ones.

There is some question as to whether there will be another run of the PBT space bars, but given the extremely positive reception they had, and the number of people saying they missed the earlier sale, there is a distinct possibility.

Also there are a few cable manufacturers on GH who make custom USB cables.  Although they do charge a little more than $5 ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ