Author Topic: BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TAOBAOFOCUS.  (Read 6936 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TAOBAOFOCUS.
« on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 01:43:59 »
<update>
I chose air mail and received my package after 14 days. Along the way, tracking did not update for even a single day. Note that this isn't Taobaofocus' fault; international tracking is often quite iffy.

I had ordered a keyboard and a bunch of components. The keyboard had what it came to Taobaofocus; one layer of big bubble wrap and one layer of small bubble wrap. The wrapping was haphazard and mostly irregularly crumped up, which I attribute to the Taobaofocus guys having to unwrap, take photos, and rewrap. I guess that's to be expected of a low margin business.

(I once complained about repackers on Qtan's vendor section also. They dirtied my keyboard, so a brand new white keyboard came to me with black smudges and black fingerprints.)
The components, though, were a total disaster. I don't generally like proxy shippers much, having changed different ones only to find more of the same. The employees are basically the equivalent of US aviation security guys or burger flippers in the US - the lowest denominator.

The Taobaofocus guys didn't actually repack anything. Instead of putting the components in a plastic bag or at least wrapping them in paper so that they stay in one place, they just chucked all the loose components randomly into the same box as the keyboard and taped it up. I had to hunt through the bubble wrap and the box for my components. One here, one there, one trapped in this fold, one underneath the keyboard, one hidden behind a cardboard box flap, and so on. This was extremely infuriating. They could have at least put all the components on the keyboard and wrapped them up all together, but they had to chuck everything in loose and haphazardly!

Eventually I discovered I was missing two components.

Since I'd over-ordered, missing two cheap components wasn't a big issue. And I don't feel like talking to the Taobaofocus guys again anyway. But the net result is, if you're happy with these guys, fine. But I ain't recommending.

Most of the people gushing with praise for Taobaofocus seem to have only ordered one item or else multiple items of largely the same nature (eg keycaps) from the same seller, so repacking was probably not needed. I had orders from two different sellers so the stuff had come in two separate packages. Furthermore the nature of the orders were different: I had one keyboard and a bunch of small things of different shapes and sizes.

I don't think these guys can handle even marginally complex orders. But to be fair, proxy shippers are mostly iffy; I don't think their services would be affordable otherwise.

End
(original text of OP follows)

These guys are a Taobao proxy and I just ordered from them.

I was inspired by a positive review from Bueller. However, having a good experience with a straightforward buy doesn’t mean everything. How the proxy responds if you have a change of needs is also important.

I placed my orders on Sunday, Chinese time. (That’s Saturday night for you geekhackers in the USA.)

I basically started with ordering items X and Y. Then I decided to order more Y. I placed a second order for Y. Call it Y2. Then I realized I could update order Y1 to Yi+. This isn’t as straightforward as you think, since they don’t give you the option to update Y1 until several hours later. It’s not a standard shopping cart user interface once you have placed your orders.

They don’t update until after several hours. I was working in front of my computer for hours and checked and refreshed page regularly, and it was more than 4 hours before they got back to me.

I updated Y1 and the new, bigger order refreshed immediately. But I couldn’t cancel Y2. TaobaoFocus has no help chatline on weekends, so I had to email them. I emailed them immediately after discovering I couldn’t cancel Y2. I emailed them before they even sent me an order update. (I get the impression their order updates are done manually, unlike on US websites where you get an automated update immediately after you place the order.)

What happened next was a slow and confused exchange of emails. I got the impression that different people were answering, because emails alternately showed a lack of understanding and contradicted each other.

Knowing that English standards are quite low, I tried to use simple English. “Please cancel order Y2. I repeat, cancel Y2.” “I confirm I want Y1+.”

After numerous backs and forths, involving a lot of head scratching on my part,

“Sorry, you have propose too late.
For cancellation, you can directly request in order.
And when you mail us, you didn't write clearly, we can't understand your true meaning among your delphic words.
Seller has shipped items yesterday afternoon.”

I will update this thread when delivery is made to Taobaofocus and I am charged shipping, and I will update again after I receive the goodies. But unless I am strongly positively impressed, I’m not likely to use these guys again.

-=-=-=
Update Sunday 17th Nov

Taobaofocus did not contact me in the past few days. So I logged in and found that... the order had arrived and was waiting for me to issue an order to them for shipping out.

One thing that I did like about these guys is that they took a photo. Not all proxies do. As far as I could see, nothing was amiss.

Of course, not contacting me is another annoyance. I could not find any trace of their emails in my spam or trash, so I guess I have to attribute it to a faulty automated system if Bueller was able to get an email update that his order had arrived and I didn't. That's not great.

From a general point of view (also responding to one of the Chinese posters on this thread), most Chinese do business like that. In order to offer low prices, they wind up cutting corners elsewhere. And it is a great pity. If they invested in a better automated system (programmers are freaking cheap in China, ok?), it would probably make buyers like me much less frustrated.

Seriously, Chinese stuff is cheap. +10%, and it is still cheap. If you invested in a sound system, you could probably spread the cost out among all your customers, hike your fees 10%, and wind up with less frustration, less miscommunication, less mutual acrimony, and a competitive business that reviewers like me gush over.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 10:34:37 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline BakerMan1971

Re: BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TAOBAOFOCUS.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 10:55:58 »
well that does sound like a bit of a messy ordering night.

Lets put this in a shop environment (where it should actually be easier to sort out)

Customer comes in and buys products, pays and confirms, then at the door goes, ok I would like more of this product, so buys the extra items, then at the door again turns around and says, actually can you put all this on one bill, so give me a refund on my second purchase and add everything onto my first purchase....

as a shopkeeper I would not be inclined to have to refund two transactions only to the recharge them on a single transaction.
depending on how my stock system operated, I would have to replace items into my inventory, and this could cause a delay if I didn't have sufficient stock to fulfill the reorder before restocking the cancelled order.
Not to mention the card transaction charges.

I don't want to point fingers, but you sir are a difficult customer.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 11:05:43 »
Yeah to be honest I don't know why you updated your original order before cancelling the second one, you were asking for trouble really.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:25:08 »
Thanks for posting this. "You didn't write clearly, I can't understand your true meaning among your delphic words." is going into my stock response catalog. I cant wait to use it.

On topic:
Whats the point of TBF? Does taobao not take paypal? Does TB not ship to US? Whats the extra cost to use TBF?
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:43:56 »
Most stores won't even let you change the order after you start.  This is not entirely their fault.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 21:19:30 »
Today they just 'updated my order' saying THEY HAVE JUST ORDERED. That's after yesterday's updates claim orders have been shipped.

This is part of a series of weird contradictions that has formed my email exchanges with them. Their emails to me don't have consistency, as though different people were answering these emails.

Furthermore you must remember that Chinese post, like International post, does not work on Saturdays or Sundays.

When I placed orders on a Sunday and they claimed Seller Shipped on a Sunday, they are lying.

They could not have 'shipped' on a Sunday.

If a system is not set up to adjust orders, that doesn't make me a difficult customer. I was trying to consolidate orders like you would do on any shopping cart.

Modern systems all allow that. This is the first time I've come across a system that didn't allow that.

If you people consider tweaking and adjusting orders, especially quickly (ie not overnight or several hours later or after they've 'confirmed any orders') make a 'difficult customer', you're going to be stuck with very basic ordering options. You won't even be allowed to cancel order after you've realized you made a mistake.

If that's how you guys do things, fine. But at least I'm telling everybody my experience with TaobaoFocus. The next time you guys find that you made a mistake ordering stuff, have fun with being labelled a difficult customer.

I REPEAT, TAOBAOFOCUS' SYSTEM IS NOT A SHOPPING CART. DO NOT TREAT IT AS A SHOPPING CART. ITEMS CAN ONLY GO INTO THIS CART, NOT OUT. YOU MAKE A MISTAKE, TOO BAD, METALLIQAZ, BUELLER AND THEIR FRIENDS WILL SNEER AT YOU AND SAY IT IS YOUR FAULT.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 21:25:53 »
By the way, if you order something THAT SELLER CANCELLED (ie TaobaoFocus showed it was in stock and it wasn’t in stock), you get charged anyway. TaobaoFocus says it will be deducted from the second payment (presumably meaning the extra money will be credited towards second payment). Let’s see if it’s true, or whether I’ll be forced to talk to these people over email again.

This is proving damn scary.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 21:26:31 »
I REPEAT, TAOBAOFOCUS' SYSTEM IS NOT A SHOPPING CART. DO NOT TREAT IT AS A SHOPPING CART. ITEMS CAN ONLY GO INTO THIS CART, NOT OUT AFTER YOU HAVE PAID FOR IT. YOU MAKE A MISTAKE, TOO BAD, METALLIQAZ, BUELLER AND THEIR FRIENDS WILL SNEER AT YOU AND SAY IT IS YOUR FAULT.

FTFY.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 21:29:49 »
From my experience with them a few weeks ago I can say that their online system isn't great however I don't think they did anything dodgy here. Considering the time frame it took for my package to reach them from the seller it wouldn't surprise me if they'd already sent the order and the accompanying funds through before you tried to cancel the order.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 21:29:57 »
By the way, if you order something THAT SELLER CANCELLED (ie TaobaoFocus showed it was in stock and it wasn’t in stock), you get charged anyway. TaobaoFocus says it will be deducted from the second payment (presumably meaning the extra money will be credited towards second payment). Let’s see if it’s true, or whether I’ll be forced to talk to these people over email again.

This is proving damn scary.

Waliao. You SG one right. Y U NO USE Peeka or 65daigou....... :-X

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 23:07:42 »
just as a word of advice to people in general, you get what you pay for when you're dealing with chinese businesses.   you get cheap prices because you're not paying for customer service

*before i get called a racist (and i WILL ;) ), i'm chinese.  that just means i understand how my own culture works.

**obviously this doesn't apply to each and every single chinese business person.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 12:31:29 »
I don't accuse them of anything dishonest; it's the communication and response that's terrible. Remember, their system does not confirm a placed order for hours. (At least, not on the Sunday that I was working on it.)

I was quite confused when I inputted my orders and the system didn't respond ie it didn't respond to tell me that it acknowledged I had placed orders. Confirmation of placed order with Taobaofocus (ie not confirmation of successfully placed order with the actual seller) came only a few hours later.

If I am confusing anybody reading this, good, because you're feeling something like what I was feeling when dealing with taobaofocus.

From my experience with them a few weeks ago I can say that their online system isn't great however I don't think they did anything dodgy here. Considering the time frame it took for my package to reach them from the seller it wouldn't surprise me if they'd already sent the order and the accompanying funds through before you tried to cancel the order.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 12:46:49 »
Shadovved

I looked up hardwarezone last year and it seemed as though every taobao agent had an army of negative comments. Furthermore in Singapore lots of these ‘agents’ are just PRC nationals working on a part time basis, operating out of a flat. It didn’t impress me. If you are SG you should of course know that Singapore imported the detritus de la detritus from China; the folks who couldn't find jobs driving buses in China come to Singapore to drive buses, find that their pay isn't enough to cover their cigarettes (no joke, given Singapore's steep tobacco tax), and take on part time jobs to help cover.

Of course, Taobaofocus could be exactly the same thing. The only reason I tried it was because Bueller had a good review on it. Bueller gave me the impression they were very professional.

Regardless of whether I have the right to change orders, THEIR COMMUNICATION IS HORRENDOUS. The system doesn’t even update its recognition that you placed orders until several hours later. This is 2013, man. In 1993 shopping carts could take hours to update; now you expect email notification within a few minutes. Being Chinese or not knowing English has nothing to do with their crap system giving ultra-slow responses, or the fact that their email updates were inconsistent and their infuriating Delphic Words.

[/quote]

Waliao. You SG one right. Y U NO USE Peeka or 65daigou....... :-X
[/quote]

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:26:47 »
I think you set your expectation way too high.
A lot of lesser online store here in the US would probably receive the same compliant.
I ordered $200 worth of stuff from buydig.com yesterday and I still haven't received a confirmation email or order processed email from them after 24 hours. Only a email of payment charged from paypal.
And I bet that not just china proxy, but most other proxies like japan or Korea would be similar.

In fact, even online giant amazon didn’t get that part right years after (they don’t process your order in 15 minutes, so you can cancel within that window)
But if you want to cancel after 30 minutes, it wouldn’t allow you even you know they haven’t shipped yet (but have entered their “system”)

In fact, if amazon lowered the price like 30% after you ordered, you can’t call in and request a credit, you’ll have to REFUSE shipment or ship it back on your dime, and place another order with the new discounted price.

You’d think that’s pretty backward right? But you can’t compare online store with B&M store in terms of flexibility.

I placed an order from banggood sometimes ago, and right after I placed my order I remembered I also want 2 more set of keycaps. So I placed a second order 1 minute later. And yet there is no way to combine the shipping of these.

You’d expect that would be straight forward as well but again, except for amazon I didn’t know of any online store that can do that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:37:41 by gh_pp »
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 07:34:58 »
gh, mind telling me more about Amazon?

I haven't bought from them for a while, and I am surprised. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like they're still using a system from 10 years ago.

In the late 1990s it would definitely be ok if an order took over a day to update. Now? And Amazon at that?

I think you set your expectation way too high.
A lot of lesser online store here in the US would probably receive the same compliant.
I ordered $200 worth of stuff from buydig.com yesterday and I still haven't received a confirmation email or order processed email from them after 24 hours. Only a email of payment charged from paypal.
And I bet that not just china proxy, but most other proxies like japan or Korea would be similar.

In fact, even online giant amazon didn’t get that part right years after (they don’t process your order in 15 minutes, so you can cancel within that window)
But if you want to cancel after 30 minutes, it wouldn’t allow you even you know they haven’t shipped yet (but have entered their “system”)

In fact, if amazon lowered the price like 30% after you ordered, you can’t call in and request a credit, you’ll have to REFUSE shipment or ship it back on your dime, and place another order with the new discounted price.

You’d think that’s pretty backward right? But you can’t compare online store with B&M store in terms of flexibility.

I placed an order from banggood sometimes ago, and right after I placed my order I remembered I also want 2 more set of keycaps. So I placed a second order 1 minute later. And yet there is no way to combine the shipping of these.

You’d expect that would be straight forward as well but again, except for amazon I didn’t know of any online store that can do that.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 08:04:28 »
Root cause analysis: Why you made that messy order? It is always better to make your mind before start ordering things. It seems you just decided to test their system by making many orders and then trying to cancel some of them. Hum...You proved they can't handle the situation, good for you, but at your own cost.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 08:39:47 »
I've already said, I thought it was like a shopping cart you put things in, take out, and juggle until you confirm with some kind of big red 'pay now' button. Amazon, Ebay, most retailers have that.

Unfortunately, they don't need some kind of big red pay now button because they have already taken your money. So they have no incentive to make their system fool proof. Because it has certainly trapped a fool (me).

I certainly was not intending to test their system.

It's not a complicated order. I'm surprised you call it messy, and even seem to think I deliberately did it to test their system. If you're the type of guy who never needs to change his order, good for you. But I don't think you are so perfect that you will always calculate all your needs in advance perfectly and never need to change. Do you never change the items in your grocery cart when you go shopping? Or do you 'take it like a man' and stubbornly insist on buying things even after your wife/ mother/ family tell you, hey, we don't need it anymore, take it out of the cart!

In any case I won't be doing business with these guys ever again. Even if nothing has gone wrong, I don't like a system that is very erratic with updates.

Root cause analysis: Why you made that messy order? It is always better to make your mind before start ordering things. It seems you just decided to test their system by making many orders and then trying to cancel some of them. Hum...You proved they can't handle the situation, good for you, but at your own cost.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 08:47:58 »
I've already said, I thought it was like a shopping cart you put things in, take out, and juggle until you confirm with some kind of big red 'pay now' button. Amazon, Ebay, most retailers have that.

Unfortunately, they don't need some kind of big red pay now button because they have already taken your money. So they have no incentive to make their system fool proof. Because it has certainly trapped a fool (me).

I certainly was not intending to test their system.

It's not a complicated order. I'm surprised you call it messy, and even seem to think I deliberately did it to test their system. If you're the type of guy who never needs to change his order, good for you. But I don't think you are so perfect that you will always calculate all your needs in advance perfectly and never need to change. Do you never change the items in your grocery cart when you go shopping? Or do you 'take it like a man' and stubbornly insist on buying things even after your wife/ mother/ family tell you, hey, we don't need it anymore, take it out of the cart!

In any case I won't be doing business with these guys ever again. Even if nothing has gone wrong, I don't like a system that is very erratic with updates.

Well, I am in your side man. And I appreciate you shared your issues with the vendor. Just pointing that at least half of the issue may be prevented by proper planning before setting the order. And yeah, I change my mind sometimes but try to keep it under control from my side. I have returned things to Amazon for example and they did the process so smooth, but that's it. Thank you again for your post.