Author Topic: Looking for a review of Azio Levetron Mech5  (Read 3337 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Looking for a review of Azio Levetron Mech5
« on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 09:52:03 »
Hi Folks

This is not a Review. This is Seeking a Review.

I want an informed, Geekhack-style, geek quality review of the Azio Levetron Mech5.

I find that keyboard very intriguing. It may be very ugly, but it is also offering a modular design and truly innovative in its choice and design of buttons and layouts.

Looking on places like Amazon and google search, I find myself up against many poorly informed reviews, including from people who have never tried any non-Cherry black switches before.

The general takeaway, after skimming a bunch of reviews, is that:
Azio's numpad seems to have an unreliable connection. Many people report losing connection with the keyboard.
The keycaps are of very poor quality.
All positives tend to be very standard and could apply to any other black switch plate mounted keyboard.

Now I am hoping to hear informed views from geekhackers. Does anyone have an Azio?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline FoxWolf1

Re: Looking for a review of Azio Levetron Mech5
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 18:51:50 »
Don't have the Azio but will second your request for a review. Always been intrigued by these, because they have some less-often-seen features, and I care far more about function than looks.

The switch covers built into the plate especially interest me...increased protection against debris and liquids seems like A Good Thing, but I've only seen 1-2 other keyboards with that feature.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 01:13:35 »
Don't have the Azio but will second your request for a review. Always been intrigued by these, because they have some less-often-seen features, and I care far more about function than looks.

The switch covers built into the plate especially interest me...increased protection against debris and liquids seems like A Good Thing, but I've only seen 1-2 other keyboards with that feature.

Care to tell me what other keyboards had that feature? I am very curious. If these other makes aren't expensive, I might just try them out.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 02:20:17 »
The mechs from the (usually very cheap and junky) Aula brand each have variants of the system-- they don't do it quite in the same way as the Azio does, and may not protect quite as well.

Here's how it looks on their full-size (the name usually translates to something like "Dragon Abyss"):

Different version of the feature, from Aula's "Evil Spirit Mad Scorpion" TKL model:
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 14:54:57 »
What is going on with the switches? What's that covering on them?
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 01:41:57 »
What is going on with the switches? What's that covering on them?

It seems like some kind of rubber dampener? Anyone know?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 01:45:16 »
may for low travel bottoming out
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"