Author Topic: [Need Advice] TKL Build - Do I need a new PCB?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline nolliepoper

[Need Advice] TKL Build - Do I need a new PCB?
« on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 01:14:10 »
After a long hiatus of putting some miles on my keyboards for work, I've come back to try something new and build/customize yet another keyboard.
Im searching for some guidance around the feasibility of this build and if I need to buy a new PCB or I can reuse the stock Filco TKL MJ2.

Requirements:
* TKL 87 key (80%)
* Hot swapable switches
* Programmable layout
* Aluminum case
* Zilents 62g

What I have:
* Filco TKL MJ2
* HID Liberation Device - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35065
* Universal TKL plate - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36907
* Lambo 80% case (in route)

Questions:
* Is there anything I'm missing here or suggestions?
* Are there any red flags that not worth pursuing?
* I've heard QMK programming is preferred but will the HID Liberation Device be okay for some very minor remapping?
* Is there a difference between the universal plate and the hot swapable feature?
* Do I need to buy a new PCB to be hot swapable? I haven't had the chance to try out the universal plate.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2019, 11:42:13 by nolliepoper »
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [Need Advice] TKL Build - Do I need a new PCB
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 03:24:05 »
The universal plate allows switch top removal without desoldering or needed hot swap sockets, just beware not all switches open and close the same way. Box and Outemus will not work and some switch base/tops do not interchange very well. On the other hand, the hot swap sockets can wear out and also do not work with everything. Basically the uni plate allows disassembly, sockets replace everything. I don't know if the sockets will work on a Filco pcb (they need large holes), but the uni plate certainly will... But there's a catch.

I can't find a pic of the inside of that case and how the plate/pcb attach, if it's like most other Filco cases, it needs the Filco bent plate and no universal plate has those bends on top and bottom. If it bolts to the pcb, you're fine. If it clamps the edges like the Tex or Vortex case you will need to create an adapter, I made these years ago and many people are using them, you just need a 3d printer or someone with one. If you have to pay someone, they're small and cheap to have made.

The whole point of a programmable controller is for remapping.

Hope all of that helps.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline nevin

Re: [Need Advice] TKL Build - Do I need a new PCB
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 04:40:37 »
Just use pcb you have (w/liberator), solder in switches & you can change up switch parts as your tastes/curiosities change (as long as you use a plate that supports switch top removal). stick with the cherry style housing. you can do a search to see what's compatible (should be cherry, gateron, zeal, etc... the 4 tab switch tops) see link to spreadsheet form this post for compatibility cross reference.

cherry style has 4 tabs
221554-0

otemu had 2 long tabs and does not support switch top removal when in plate
221556-1

I just changed my gateron browns (clear top housing) to ergo clears without desoldering. gateron black bottom, brown spring, cherry clear stem & top housing (black). i used mechanical keyboards switch opening tool (but there are many other methods).

shouldn't be too hard to find a new case you like, TKLs are pretty standard. do a search for a aluminum filco case or one that supports filco parts

the liberation device looks like it was made for Easy AVR
see also: https://deskthority.net/wiki/HID_Liberation_Device_-_Instructions
the liberator is a totally new programmable controller for your pcb. has same processor (ATmega32u4) that's on teensy's & promicro's so QMK/TMK should be possible but there's probably already presets in Easy AVR for the liberator in a Filco PCB (takes a lot of the guesswork/configuring out of the equation)
- HID liberator IS supported in TMK (fork of QMK)

... just a side note: the cutouts on that universal plate would also support ALPS although your current pcb would not support ALPS
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68