Author Topic: Nightcaps: keps  (Read 3457348 times)

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
Re: Nightcaps: makin dem caps
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:52:17 »
Practicing those Doubleshots
More

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:53:34 »
Show Image

Those look fantastic. And in so many patterns, too.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 13:20:30 »
Show Image

Each cap will be unique then, unless there's an easier way of doing doubleshots? ^-^

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 13:28:04 »
Show Image

That shade of blue... So nice!

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 13:33:14 »
Show Image

Each cap will be unique then, unless there's an easier way of doing doubleshots? ^-^

Quite possible that there's an easier method but for now each one will be a teeny bit different.

Can do a few at a time though in my MX mold :)
More

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 13:36:52 »
Those pulse caps are noice

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 15:14:08 »
Show Image

Quite possible that there's an easier method but for now each one will be a teeny bit different.

Show Image

Are the four holes around each base the drainage holes? This seems like a really efficient way to mold instead of having one gigantic block of silicone for one keycap.

Did you cure the silicone in a pressure pot as well? Or just pour method?

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 10:38:06 »
Show Image

Show Image

Are the four holes around each base the drainage holes? This seems like a really efficient way to mold instead of having one gigantic block of silicone for one keycap.

Correct, those four holes around each cap are vents that help eliminate larger bubbles. Def nice to be able to do multiples at once - allows for faster experiments on colors and technique. Additionally, I don't feel so bad if one of them gets F***ed up because I have four more good ones :)

Each pour is both de-gassed in a vacuum chamber and pressure cast @ 40psi.
More

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:29:39 »

[/quote]

Correct, those four holes around each cap are vents that help eliminate larger bubbles. Def nice to be able to do multiples at once - allows for faster experiments on colors and technique. Additionally, I don't feel so bad if one of them gets F***ed up because I have four more good ones :)

Each pour is both de-gassed in a vacuum chamber and pressure cast @ 40psi.
[/quote]

You've been incredibly helpful, thank you. Last question...how are you actually getting the resin in the mold? Do the small holes play a role? Some type of injection? Your molds are different (in a good way) from a lot of other molds I've seen, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks again!

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:53:13 »

how are you actually getting the resin in the mold? Do the small holes play a role? Some type of injection? Your molds are different (in a good way) from a lot of other molds I've seen, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks again!

No not injection; De-gassed resin is poured into the negative mold (the side w/shells) Basically fill up each cavity fully.

Then, using a pipette, I coat the "stem" side of the mold to make sure there aren't any bubbles trapped in the stem area.

Once complete, I "sandwich" the two sides together - stem side w/vent holes on top. This allows excess resin to vent out of the holes surrounding each cap. Also note that the some of the excess resin stays in the holes / tunnels as serves as a reservoir for when the mold gets put under pressure. Existing air bubbles shrink under pressure and the subsequent space need to be back filled with extra resin or you'll get larger empty cavities.

That's probably a pretty poor explanation but should give you the working concepts. Also check out Booper's tutorial - really great walkthrough of the process with visuals:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67744.0
More

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 12:54:39 »

how are you actually getting the resin in the mold? Do the small holes play a role? Some type of injection? Your molds are different (in a good way) from a lot of other molds I've seen, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks again!

No not injection; De-gassed resin is poured into the negative mold (the side w/shells) Basically fill up each cavity fully.

Then, using a pipette, I coat the "stem" side of the mold to make sure there aren't any bubbles trapped in the stem area.

Once complete, I "sandwich" the two sides together - stem side w/vent holes on top. This allows excess resin to vent out of the holes surrounding each cap. Also note that the some of the excess resin stays in the holes / tunnels as serves as a reservoir for when the mold gets put under pressure. Existing air bubbles shrink under pressure and the subsequent space need to be back filled with extra resin or you'll get larger empty cavities.

That's probably a pretty poor explanation but should give you the working concepts. Also check out Booper's tutorial - really great walkthrough of the process with visuals:

This is amazing. Thank you. I've been doing a lot of research on the methods used by the beginning artisans of GH, and I'm pretty sure this "smash" method (paired with a clean master design and silicone mold) is producing some of the best work I've seen for getting started in the craft.

You're awesome for linking booper's thread. Thanks again!  :thumb:

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:01:01 »

I've been looking to play with doubleshots, but I can't really find any concrete information of the process.

From what I've gathered, you carefully put the resin into the parts that you want coloured differently, such as the eye holes or mouth of a character, then pour the main colours once it's hardened, but still relatively soft so that it bonds?

Can't wait to see more of your work as it progresses!

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:13:08 »
I've been looking to play with doubleshots, but I can't really find any concrete information of the process.

From what I've gathered, you carefully put the resin into the parts that you want coloured differently, such as the eye holes or mouth of a character, then pour the main colours once it's hardened, but still relatively soft so that it bonds?

Yup, you got it. One thing that's helpful is to get a read on the tack time of the resin being used. Low-viscosity resins are more difficult to get to stay in plane and not bleed to other areas but thickens considerably the longer you wait - making it easier to stay where it is.

My personal pref is the lower the viscosity, the better. I like very long work-times and thin, pour-able resin.
More

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:17:02 »

Yup, you got it. One thing that's helpful is to get a read on the tack time of the resin being used. Low-viscosity resins are more difficult to get to stay in plane and not bleed to other areas but thickens considerably the longer you wait - making it easier to stay where it is.

My personal pref is the lower the viscosity, the better. I like very long work-times and thin, pour-able resin.

Yes! That's awesome, I really appreciate the advice and knowledge!

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:21:40 »

Yes! That's awesome, I really appreciate the advice and knowledge!

Just know that I've only been doing this for a little over a month now so my knowledge is very limited! Your own research will likely yield more precise answers :)
More

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:12:47 »
I can't say enough how awesome these are.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 22:52:18 »
New cap design and moar multi-shot practicing  :)

More

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 22:53:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I love the eyes on that. Is it a mole?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:23:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Master Splinter

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:25:24 »
Bakuryu the mole!

Even though it looks more like a rat. ;)

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:42:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Master Splinter

It is odd now that i think about it. First the turtles and now a rat. Childhood experiences have a way of sneaking back in :)
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:50:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Master Splinter

It is odd now that i think about it. First the turtles and now a rat. Childhood experiences have a way of sneaking back in :)

Next is Usagi Yojimbo.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:22:01 »

Show Image

u
r
good
!

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:23:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's some awesome results for someone who just started a month ago! Man I can't wait to see how far you'll go!

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 21:44:52 »
More

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 21:46:48 »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 23:10:42 »

Show Image

Now I'm thinking of all the rats in dark souls 2, especially the bloody clawed one, rip!

Offline TheJonas

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:23:15 »
Just entered your giveaway for the shells, thanks for doing that. Those pink topre caps on the HHKB look amazing! Would love to get myself some of those.

Offline HekusuTekusu

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:16:10 »
Show Image

It's a crime to keep these babies to yourself. Release them into the wild. Just make sure one of two gets to my mailbox.
| Das 3 Ult MX BRW | PokerII MX BLK | KUL-ES87 MX CLR | Planck MX GRE | HHKB Pro JP |  CPSQ-1800 GAT BLK | HHKB Pro 2 | NYM96 GAT RED |

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:42:36 »
Very early Work-in-Progress sculpting a new design :)

More

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:43:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks like a puffer fish. I love it already!  :D

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:57:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That looks awesome! What do you use as your sculpting medium btw? Sculpey or epoxy?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:00:04 »
Is that the ******* from super Mario world who tries to eat me all the time??

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:07:15 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That looks awesome! What do you use as your sculpting medium btw? Sculpey or epoxy?

This one is cX5 soft. I used to use epoxy clay but found the 2-4 hours of work time somewhat limiting. cX5 is great once you get past / habituate to the spicerack smell.
More

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:25:59 »

Part cheep-cheep, part urchin, part Krang.
More

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:27:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This one is cX5 soft. I used to use epoxy clay but found the 2-4 hours of work time somewhat limiting. cX5 is great once you get past / habituate to the spicerack smell.

So were your shells and castles made with epoxy clay? If so that's quite impressive what you were able to do in the allotted 2-4 hours.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:29:08 »

Part cheep-cheep, part urchin, part Krang.

You're part my hero

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:31:19 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

thats badass haha.

I'm glad I got a half-shell but those clear blanks you made are badass man, and the mint ones too. 
Hi :)

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:52:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So were your shells and castles made with epoxy clay? If so that's quite impressive what you were able to do in the allotted 2-4 hours.

The general shaping of the shells was in the 2-4 hr timeframe but most of the detailing (which there isn't much of) was done post cure with lots of filing.
More

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 06:29:35 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Super cool, would the actual cap be ds or na?

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 02:01:30 »
Fukashima Fugu coming along

More

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 02:03:38 »

Show Image

FUGUUUUU

Remember to prepare them carefully before eating fugu people, or else its lights out.

...... Get it? Cause they're called night caps??

I'll go in a corner now

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 02:04:16 »

Show Image

Wow those turned out awesome!
Nice work man :)

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 02:26:28 »
Very cool man, can't wait to see it in more colors

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 03:01:21 »
Those fugu are looking real crisp!

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 03:04:26 »

Show Image

Loving that purple one with the different colour on the spine tips!

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 03:52:58 »

Show Image

I wouldn't be exxagerating if I said that this design is on my top 3 artisan designs ever made. It is so simple, yet has so much character; will do everything that I can to get my hands on one in nantucket colors! Extremely awesome job! :D

Offline TheJonas

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 05:05:08 »

Show Image

Those look amazing! Your hard work's paying off. Still loving that WASD cluster

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 06:37:31 »

Show Image

Wow. Those colors are so vibrant. And the way the tips are colored is amazing.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 06:43:13 »

Show Image

So good. Really digging these a lot!