Author Topic: [IC] GMK METROPOLIS 2 - Coming April 02 - 40% Update  (Read 58997 times)

Re: [IC] GMK METROPOLIS 2 - Coming April 02 - 40% Update
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 23:17:13 »
Looking forward to the surprises!

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 03:30:44 »
One very awkward request and totally unnecessary (also totally understand if you don't entertain the request) but can we get a render for teal iron 165 + the midnight set?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline suixt

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 04:39:41 »
OMG, this is the best set I've ever seen and it does not have UK ISO....Someone kill me please

nephlock, please reconsider. We NEED this :(

there's 1500 base kits from R1 w UK iso out in the world and I bet many would sell you the compatibility keys we'd never use over here.

anyways how long till surprises?

That could be an ok option as last resort - but nothing really beats getting all these toys brand new. Is R1 a 100% match even (honest question - was not around that time)?

Since I'm kind of new to the whole thing, is this type of resales taking place frequently on geekhack?

Still I cross my fingers for an ISO extension set! Hopefully this will be one of the last minute surprises.

Offline bluziff

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 08:31:20 »
Sorry noob question - whats missing for Full ISO support - the base image looks to have all the keys I would need for 60% where are the gaps?

Offline JQ27

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 09:13:37 »
Sorry noob question - whats missing for Full ISO support - the base image looks to have all the keys I would need for 60% where are the gaps?

The least amount of different keys to make a proper ISO support board would be UK I think.

I think it's 6 keys + short left shift + vertical enter. Those 6 are

R1 - [`¬]  [2 "]  [3 £]
R3 - [' @] [# ~]
R4 - [\ |]

When you get into all the different variants of ISO it expands a lot more though.

End of the day, I'm not sure for how many ISO users I speak for, but having physical ISO support is meaningless if the legend support isn't available to have the correct key caps. Might as well just drop physical ISO to save money for the rest of the ANSI only userbase. Even more so when the price for keycap sets are what they are. It's not worth it getting a product not fit for purpose when one of the main points about the mech hobby is preference, which to some is the ISO layout.

Offline bluziff

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 10:19:50 »

The least amount of different keys to make a proper ISO support board would be UK I think.

I think it's 6 keys + short left shift + vertical enter. Those 6 are

R1 - [`¬]  [2 "]  [3 £]
R3 - [' @] [# ~]
R4 - [\ |]
When you get into all the different variants of ISO it expands a lot more though.

End of the day, I'm not sure for how many ISO users I speak for, but having physical ISO support is meaningless if the legend support isn't available to have the correct key caps. Might as well just drop physical ISO to save money for the rest of the ANSI only userbase. Even more so when the price for keycap sets are what they are. It's not worth it getting a product not fit for purpose when one of the main points about the mech hobby is preference, which to some is the ISO layout.

Ah thanks for the help, utter noob here :D
So the R1 and R3 support is not there on this set.

I get why they are not in the base set, as everyone paying to support fewer users feels unfair and wasteful, but its a shame there's not an additional set to fill in the gaps.

Offline Faehriss

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 10:42:19 »

This, really. If anything having physical ISO support and then missing a few 1U keys with existing molds to actually make the layout work is more of a slap in the face than not having ISO at all. When you're paying upwards of £100 for a set of keycaps it really does not feel worth it to buy a set that falls short of actual support.
church of the POM keeb

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 11:13:33 »

That could be an ok option as last resort - but nothing really beats getting all these toys brand new. Is R1 a 100% match even (honest question - was not around that time)?

Since I'm kind of new to the whole thing, is this type of resales taking place frequently on geekhack?

Still I cross my fingers for an ISO extension set! Hopefully this will be one of the last minute surprises.

I’ve had a few sets of both R1 and R2 from GMK and the color match has been great. Have also sold iso keycaps from various sets on mechmarket-they show up in numpad kits sometimes. I sold my R1 for this a few days ago or you could’ve had mine.

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 15:59:44 »

I fully agree that I need full support, not just physical.  I wonder how typical that is though?  Certainly I've seen plenty of images on this and other forums of the physical ISO workaround, so perhaps we are unusual.  I know that many people in the UK have switched to ANSI to get better keycap support anyway.  I'm really curious to learn what the trends are.  I hope nephlock lets us know what lead to the decision to remove it from the base kit.

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 16:07:20 »
I was/am an iso user, but almost switched to ansi for keyset convenience and the fact keys I use frequently in prog9are easier to access on ansi.. But back to topic. I would never use iso if it wasn't in my specific dialect, just physical coverage does nothing for me.

Either completely remove it or add a full international kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 18:21:23 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2021, 18:28:11 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 18:26:16 »

Offline TheMetalDog

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 23:43:01 »
post that M6c in here!

I have a feeling this set is going to break me.

Offline DrunkSpaniel

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 19:02:08 »
Probably too late but I’d also like to just throw my name in for proper UK ISO support if it’ll help

Offline Musicmonkay

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 23:12:26 »
Noob question and I don’t know if it’s been answered, but is this going into GB? As the first post mentioned that it’ll start today
@fuzzycaps

Offline itsmartin

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 23:36:04 »
It’s just crossed midnight in the US, hasn’t it? Most of these run on US time. Expect it to go live later.

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 23:48:18 »
Noob question and I don’t know if it’s been answered, but is this going into GB? As the first post mentioned that it’ll start today

https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/frontpage/products/gmk-metropolis-r2-gb

It’s here. There’s Rama novs. This is awesome

Offline nephlock

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 00:02:10 »
It’s just crossed midnight in the US, hasn’t it? Most of these run on US time. Expect it to go live later.

Correct! The GB thread is currently waiting for approval, but some of the vendors will likely start going live before the approval goes through. There are a few kit updates based on feedback from this IC, and (as some of you have noticed already) some RAMA collab items!

Offline Musicmonkay

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 01:55:29 »
Thanks for the answers!! :) I’m stoked for this!
@fuzzycaps

Offline suixt

« Reply #169 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 04:34:11 »
Just ordered this ... I guess it was time to go ANSI and never look back.
Now, I just need a good excuse for my wife about all the UK caps suddenly missing  :D

Offline nephlock

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 06:15:29 »

Offline denncardoso

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 16:01:19 »
OH yeah baby, I was looking for in for R1 in the second market and almost paid 300 Euros. Now I have the opportunity to put my hands on this one! I am on it, for sure!