Author Topic: SteelSeries Kana Opinions  (Read 13281 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
SteelSeries Kana Opinions
« on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 04:11:43 »
So my Razer Lachesis is still working but horrible, its about 5-6yrs old now and its on its last legs. I've been looking at the new generation G500's but the thumb buttons look a mess and from user reviews aren't particularly useful and I don't want to buy a second hand G5... and I really don't want another Razer mouse, there software is total garbage and I'm done paying a premium for a design department run by 5yr olds (horrible looking devices with more lights than an 80s disco machine).

So I've looked around and the only 'G5' style gaming mouse I can find that I like the look of is the SteelSeries Kana, it's simple, has a nice shape, a good looking thumb button and a proper rubber coating (not the smiley **** the sensi has... but I've never used it anyone here have any experience with it ??

pics;

Offline ItsBc

• BARACOOT
    • Portfolio
Re: SteelSeries Kana Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 04:23:19 »
I have owned 3 steelseries mice and none of them have lived past 1.5 years. They have all randomly had clicking issues, clicking not working, clicking turning into double clicks, and other weird things. I've owned a pair of siberias that didn't last too long either, and I'm incredibly gentle with all of my peripherals. I don't think they will be getting any more of my money. :\

I have always disliked Razer for their silly designs, and crazy colors and lights. But, after my last steelseries mouse broke I decided to give the Death Adder a try, I got the all black one since I wasn't a fan of all the colors. I've had it for over 2 years now and I adore it.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 04:38:11 »
The kana has poor quallity buttons and the sensor isn't great(past a certain dpi) from what I've read.

The best options in my opinion are the avago 3090 mice that is: CM Storm Recon, RAT 3 (3500dpi version), Roccat Savu and the mouse im currently using the Genius Maurus.

The sad part is Razer Software (not synapse 2.0 drm machine) is actually very good. You could always use X Mouse Button Control on windows. I have not tried steelseries mice or software but uhh never had good enough reason...

The maurus is very cheap and small, the software isn't great though and the mouse feet are a little scratchy at first. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genius-Maurus-Gaming-Laser-Mouse/dp/B0078C24NY/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1366968463&sr=1-1&keywords=GENIUS+Maurus). However it feels good overall...
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 04:39:12 »
The only thing about the deathadder for the new version (2013) its £65, where as the Kana is £40

Offline stingrae

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 06:35:42 »
Try out the cm storm recon? =) It's under £40 and is a pretty decent mouse from the reviews I've read: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cm-storm-recon-gaming-mouse-supporting-upto-4000-dpi-5-profiles-36-macros-and-rubberized-grip

Offline Johan

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:04:33 »
Nopenopenopenope, is all I have to say about that mouse.
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:06:06 »
Nopenopenopenope, is all I have to say about that mouse.

Helpful post, cheers.

Offline llovro

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:20:12 »
wait for ninox mice to come out. They are designed by ESR community (Quake forum, people there really care about they're mice).

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:43:45 »
The only thing about the deathadder for the new version (2013) its £65, where as the Kana is £40

Costly a lil, but amazing mouse. I don't know what this 65  pounds worth in Canadien money, but mine cost me 65$, so about the same in US money. Still reasonnable.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline remedyhalopc

SteelSeries Kana Opinions
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:44:03 »
wait for ninox mice to come out. They are designed by ESR community (Quake forum, people there really care about they're mice).

Do you have any specs on this? Sensor, micro switch, etc.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:48:40 »

Costly a lil, but amazing mouse. I don't know what this 65  pounds worth in Canadien money, but mine cost me 65$, so about the same in US money. Still reasonnable.

it's probably like $650CA (it's actually '102.44' ....lol)... but tbh Razer's software has really put me off any of there products... it's so bad.. when I had/used there sc2 keyboard the software and drivers would just fail and crash all the time, which would make anything your doing at the time (like playing sc2) freak out
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 07:51:45 by baldgye »

Offline llovro

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:06:25 »

Aurora -  Avago ADNS-3090 optical sensor
Velocity - Avago ADNS-3050 optical sensor
Switches are omron. Shell is f****ng awesome. It's in development for 1.5 years.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:09:38 »

Switches are omron. Shell is f****ng awesome. It's in development for 1.5 years.

any images/idea of when its coming out?

Offline llovro

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:24:42 »

any images/idea of when its coming out?
It's coming out soon (they're saying soon for over a year now but I'm pretty sure it'll be done in a few months now).
Software photo:
http://www.esreality.com/files/placeimages/2012/89278-ninox_aurora_modes.jpg
Velocity (no sidebuttons I believe):
http://www.esreality.com/files/placeimages/2013/93440-velocity-design.jpg
I will look for aurora pictures now (aurora has sidebuttons how I know).

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:31:36 »
Side buttons are really a must for me now, kinda why I've been put off by the new G500. Use it as a back button and melee button in all FPS games that have it.

Kinda why I like the look of the Kana so much, it's pretty simple and basic

Offline llovro

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:33:47 »
Side buttons are really a must for me now, kinda why I've been put off by the new G500. Use it as a back button and melee button in all FPS games that have it.

Ninox aurora is going to have sidebuttons. It's also going to have waaaaay better sensor than kana and better build quality. If I was you I'd wait for Ninox mice to come out.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:35:58 »

Ninox aurora is going to have sidebuttons. It's also going to have waaaaay better sensor than kana and better build quality. If I was you I'd wait for Ninox mice to come out.

I'm not going to be investing soon as me Lachesis is still alive, but super high sensor Q isn't something I'm probably going to notice and make much use off tbh... I'd rather have something really nice in the hand that's also really nice and light... but its pretty hard to gauge which ones to go for because with mice more than keyboards its really down to personal preference.
Only reason I even know of it is because bit-tech gave it a pretty solid review.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:48:17 »
@llovro

There is no "they" in Ninox, unless you count the Chinese OEM people. ;)

The beta sample is ok but it couldn't impress me.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:51:57 »

it's probably like $650CA (it's actually '102.44' ....lol)... but tbh Razer's software has really put me off any of there products... it's so bad.. when I had/used there sc2 keyboard the software and drivers would just fail and crash all the time, which would make anything your doing at the time (like playing sc2) freak out

Ouch for the price. But for synapse, I don't understand the hate. I've had the naga hex for more than a year and now the deathadder and I had no issue at all with it. Installs in a few seconds, has nice options, easy to configure and works well. I saw someone saying that the first version had issues, but not since long. Aint a razer fanboy, but I like their mouses since they fit well in my hand.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline stingrae

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:24:53 »
I hate to say it but the ninox mice in development are late...the other released avago 3090 mice are decent and have a good set of features :\...

Offline Johan

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:51:40 »
The switches are awful, So are the mouse feet. The sensor is "useable", the sidebuttons have gotten caught in the mouse in itself several times, the edges are shape( cut my pinky several times.)
The only thing good about this mouse is its shape, And the feel of the sidebuttons when they're not stuck.
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:23:32 »

Ouch for the price. But for synapse, I don't understand the hate. I've had the naga hex for more than a year and now the deathadder and I had no issue at all with it. Installs in a few seconds, has nice options, easy to configure and works well. I saw someone saying that the first version had issues, but not since long. Aint a razer fanboy, but I like their mouses since they fit well in my hand.

I've never used synapse, my Lachesis isn't supported (or wasn't last time I looked) and I don't use the sc2 keyboard anymore... I'm more talking about the software that they use for those bits, which was at best, garbage lol

And I'm just trying to see what peoples history or experiences have been with SteelSeries mice and the Kana, as reviews online seem to be pretty positive, and they can't all be

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:24:15 »
The switches are awful, So are the mouse feet. The sensor is "useable", the sidebuttons have gotten caught in the mouse in itself several times, the edges are shape( cut my pinky several times.)

the guys at bit-tech didn't seem to have too many problems with it, why are the switches so bad and the sensor useable?

Offline Johan

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:33:31 »
The switches are really heavy compared to most mice and just feel, Too clicky? I just know that I get cramps from it, You can google TTC switches if you want to know more, And the Sensor is like I said "useable" Its bad compared to a G9x, Which has a laser sensor, not optical, And its just jitters all the time. They got it for free and are probably really biased and only used it for a couple of hours, I had mine for 2 months untill I had enough.
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:34:30 »
They got it for free and is probably really biased.

........I.. I don't even...

Offline Johan

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:35:45 »
I assumed that was some generic unboxing/rewiew thingy, Like ****, They didn't do anything but pretty much rewrite the SS site, And add small things like how the buttons feel "Crunchy".
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:39:54 by Johan »
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:47:57 »
I assumed that was some generic unboxing/rewiew thingy, Like ****, They didn't do anything but pretty much rewrite the SS site, And add small things like how the buttons feel "Crunchy".

I've been reading up on other forums about the switches used and it seems that the general perception is that Omron is better, is that's whats used in the 'Sensei [RAW]' ?

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:49:56 »
I can also recommend the CM Storm Recon mouse. It is what I am using right now, and with the newest firmware, everything about it works perfectly. The buttons feel great, it glides well, and I like the ambidextrous shape.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:04:10 »
Alright, so after reading up on the switches used more and looking at other forums does seem like the Sensei Raw is probably the one to go for...

Offline llovro

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 01:38:11 »
@llovro

There is no "they" in Ninox, unless you count the Chinese OEM people. ;)

The beta sample is ok but it couldn't impress me.
well, the main guy behind Ninox is BST but there is probably someone behind the software too. That's why is used "they".

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 06:26:51 »
Alright guys, cheers for the input... probably going to go with the Sensei Raw because of the switches it uses. Cheers.