Author Topic: [IC] Think6.5 v2 - Gasket 65% Keyboard // GB July 19 | Live stream | giveaway  (Read 370051 times)

Offline Shutter_Shock

It appeared that most would want THiNK engraved, I rendered two positions of the THiNK engravings, which one do you like better?

Show Image

Show Image

Top one; the extra space makes the text look less crowded.

Offline ivu

Top for sure looks better.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline beekey

Is there a chance to get split space as a layout option?

Will probably put up a poll and see how many will be interested. Split space will cut out a bit too more for plate optimization I think.
If the PCB would offer it, I would also be happy to get a plate cut later. (If you would share the files)

Offline Daddyfatsax

+1 for top position.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
Interest form completed

Offline julianz

+1 for Top. Loving that lavender colour scheme btw!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

It appeared that most would want THiNK engraved, I rendered two positions of the THiNK engravings, which one do you like better?

Show Image

Show Image

+1 for top position.

Thanks folks, This is indeed consistent with my expectations!

By the way, I am experimenting with adding one more OG Think6.5 element to the design. Stay tuned!

Offline Vaudevi77ain

Show Image

Show Image

+1 for top position.

By the way, I am experimenting with adding one more OG Think6.5 element to the design. Stay tuned!

Please say it's the lightbulb backplate, instead of the anchor  :))

Offline aclassynerd

Show Image

Show Image

+1 for top position.

Lightbulb would be interesting!

Offline ninjacore

+1 lightbulb backplate

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Show Image

Show Image

+1 for top position.

Not that part...the anchor weight will stay. But somewhere else unexpected.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Looking to make the design a bit more seamless. Hoping to share some renders soon.

Also, likely I won't be covering screws with rubber feet anymore as most don't seem to care about screw holes but not interested in ripping apart the rubber feet to unscrew. Thoughts?

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Looking to make the design a bit more seamless. Hoping to share some renders soon.

Also, likely I won't be covering screws with rubber feet anymore as most don't seem to care about screw holes but not interested in ripping apart the rubber feet to unscrew. Thoughts?

I prefer not to cover the screw holes with the rubber. The screw holes don't affect the aesthetic due to being below but having to remove them every time you want to open the case is no fun.  :thumb:

Offline Shutter_Shock

I prefer not to cover the screw holes with the rubber. The screw holes don't affect the aesthetic due to being below but having to remove them every time you want to open the case is no fun.  :thumb:

Agreed.

Offline beekey

Please don't cover them. I  normally cut the rubber to not have to peel it off every time I try something with a board.

Offline dereknt

The anchor seems a bit random. Why is GrayStudio instagram seems to be promoting the old light bulb logo for V2 when the board seems to be heading toward the anchor logo. A unified branding will creates a stronger branding. It creates confusion when the front is a light bulb yet the back is an anchor. Be consistent with branding when doing promotion, a style guide will help with that.

Love both. From outside perspective, the light bulb seems to emote "Think6.5 v2.0" while the anchor says "ReThink6.5". If you are mixing both of the logo on the same board, then one of the logo will look like an "after thought".

However, I understand doing a redesign is hard: you want to retain the old audience while pushing changes. From my experience, if you want to create a new look and feel, you have to be bold. Being consistent will make the design more holistic. Right now, the front of the board doesn't seems to speak the same design language as the back.

Offline Vaudevi77ain

The anchor seems a bit random. Why is GrayStudio instagram seems to be promoting the old light bulb logo for V2 when the board seems to be heading toward the anchor logo. A unified branding will creates a stronger branding. It creates confusion when the front is a light bulb yet the back is an anchor. Be consistent with branding when doing promotion, a style guide will help with that.

Love both. From outside perspective, the light bulb seems to emote "Think6.5 v2.0" while the anchor says "ReThink6.5". If you are mixing both of the logo on the same board, then one of the logo will look like an "after thought".

However, I understand doing a redesign is hard: you want to retain the old audience while pushing changes. From my experience, if you want to create a new look and feel, you have to be bold. Being consistent will make the design more holistic. Right now, the front of the board doesn't seems to speak the same design language as the back.

This summarizes my feelings on the whole anchor theme. The thing that makes Think unique as an enthusiast board is that it already has a following because of a strongly established look and brand; to change it while keeping it named the same betrays expectations, and potentially leads to disappointment.

Right now I think the design is suffering a bit of schizophrenia because it incorporates elements that fans recognize (the name, the lightbulb) but combines it with thematic elements that don't make sense (the sailboat, the anchor). If you had to rely on a paragraph of text explaining the meaning of those new elements, is it successful as a design?

Granted, I understand how oldcat feels - the anchor theme is something that he and his wife love on a personal level, and it's clear that he has an investment in making improvements and doing something different than before. But I would counter that oldcat should probably THiNK about just making it a new board with a bold new design instead, so that people have the right expectations about it. Personally, this would have been an insta-buy for me if it were just a design refresh of the Think6.5 with a gasket mount and a more seamless design - but the misplaced nautical elements are enough for me to reconsider.

Offline dereknt

This summarizes my feelings on the whole anchor theme. The thing that makes Think unique as an enthusiast board is that it already has a following because of a strongly established look and brand; to change it while keeping it named the same betrays expectations, and potentially leads to disappointment.

Right now I think the design is suffering a bit of schizophrenia because it incorporates elements that fans recognize (the name, the lightbulb) but combines it with thematic elements that don't make sense (the sailboat, the anchor). If you had to rely on a paragraph of text explaining the meaning of those new elements, is it successful as a design?

Granted, I understand how oldcat feels - the anchor theme is something that he and his wife love on a personal level, and it's clear that he has an investment in making improvements and doing something different than before. But I would counter that oldcat should probably THiNK about just making it a new board with a bold new design instead, so that people have the right expectations about it. Personally, this would have been an insta-buy for me if it were just a design refresh of the Think6.5 with a gasket mount and a more seamless design - but the misplaced nautical elements are enough for me to reconsider.

This is the exact problem of inconsistent design language and branding. When your audience wants you to engrave "THiNK" into the board, a light bulb should pop up and make you think why engraving "THiNK" was necessary. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just something to think about.

Now, this is completely my opinion. I think the brand Think6.5 is too deeply connected with the light bulb. People associate Think6.5 with the gear looking light bulb. So when you presented them with an anchor, even after paragraphs of story and description, they still want the "Think" to be engraved on there. A logo identifies, not describe -- I'm quoting Sagi Haviv and Brian Collins (Haviv did branding for National Geographic etc. and Brian Collins did Spotify etc.). Adding "v2.0" seems like a cheap compromise just for brand loyalty retention.

Again, this is purely on the branding perspective. Nothing I said was about badge placement or case design. However, to me, branding helps guide the design. Without a clear branding, it is hard to achieve a holistic design. 

Offline 0pokn

I really hope we can keep talking about the Sailboat badge, or having an MOQ for those of us who want it. Having the whole anchor design, I think it will go nicely with the theme. with some nice Blue caps! Hopefully I am not the only one who feels this way!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I really hope we can keep talking about the Sailboat badge, or having an MOQ for those of us who want it. Having the whole anchor design, I think it will go nicely with the theme. with some nice Blue caps! Hopefully I am not the only one who feels this way!

Some old renders for you (some details have been changed in the latest design but new renders aren’t out yet).

241354-0

241356-1

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Three more items to finish during the weekend:

12. Tweak "THiNK" engraving location: working on
13. Rubber feet do not cover screw holes.: working on
14. Consider a tweak to the rear end (currently it's a magnet badge attached to the bottom case - won't work well with PC) to enable PC production: working on

Offline Domantas

Don't make any writting just pure logo design I like that! 2020 is hm. If there would alternate badges than one with 2020 maybe but if there is only one option it is better eithout that one. Also could u conider add a mouse badge because it is 2020 :DDD

Offline noorejji

I’m hoping the sail badge makes it in, it looks lovely and really brings out some warm and nostalgic feelings in me.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Came across this stock art with CC-SA4.0 license which I can modify and use

Plan to work on a Thonk badge or artisan. Would anyone be interested?

Offline foysauce_

Came across this stock art with CC-SA4.0 license which I can modify and use

Plan to work on a Thonk badge or artisan. Would anyone be interested?

(Attachment Link)

It would definitely be unique and pretty funny :D

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
totally down for a dogethink or catthink badge LOL

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Cat think designed by Fannie, thoughts?

241481-0

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] Think6.5 v2.0 - 65% Custom Keyboard // Poll Added
« Reply #377 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:11:48 »
You should use the old logo or your avatar. Def be interested then. Not feeling the new logos. Too flashy

Thanks bro. I've been trying to get a cat badge going - stuck with my (un)creative mind!
That would be super cool!!! The old logo was very clean and modern. A cat would be sick though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatThink designs out! Credits go to my friend Fannie.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:25:53 by oldcat »

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis

(Attachment Link)

I like catthink #2

Offline asciisii

Love Catthink#3

Offline Shutter_Shock

(Attachment Link)

Personally, they’re not really for me. Not my style. That being said, of them, #1 is my favorite, as it seems to be most similar to/evocative of your logo (IMO).

Offline d0wngrade

I'm torn between catthink 1 and 3

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

(Attachment Link)

Personally, they’re not really for me. Not my style. That being said, of them, #1 is my favorite, as it seems to be most similar to/evocative of your logo (IMO).

Thanks. CatThink or Thonk, if are to happen, will not be the default badge. I would like the lightbulb to be the default badge (either 1U or 2U).

Offline quadrotiles

3rd cat badge would be perfect! One of those in rose gold or pink :D

Offline Spicemaster

I'm torn between catthink 1 and 3

I'm in the same boat. I like the idea for Catthink, 1 and 3 would be my votes

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Cat think 1 is soooo cute and clean!! Love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beekey

(Attachment Link)
1. or 3.

Offline dibkib

But I would counter that oldcat should probably THiNK about just making it a new board with a bold new design instead, so that people have the right expectations about it. Personally, this would have been an insta-buy for me if it were just a design refresh of the Think6.5 with a gasket mount and a more seamless design - but the misplaced nautical elements are enough for me to reconsider.

This exactly. I'm following the thread in the hope that there's a non-maritime option offered eventually. If it stays, I don't think I'll be purchasing a board, because it's not what I want from a THiNK board. It's not a bad design, but it's not representative of what I've come to associate THiNK with, and it feels too much like two discordant elements are being forced together, except they don't go particularly well together.

Offline PvtSkittles

Not sure if this is physically possible due to how the badge might be mounted or due to machining, but with a cat badge in the top right corner you could potentially even have cat paws peeking over where the bottom of the badge meets the main body of the case.  Just a crazy idea  :))

Offline youreyesonly

those cat badges aren't my thing but there are two id definitely get as an additional badge. I hope you make them!

Also, anyway to have a hot swap PCB?

Offline OsoKekkou

+1 for OG badge, Cat #3 , Poly Carb  :)

Offline unsuredreamz

love the new badge, cat #3, poly carb. Is it possible to have a hot swappable pcb version?  :D

Offline foysauce_

(Attachment Link)

Cat #1 and #3!

Offline neutralstate

Cat #1. The bulb (which is a Think feature) is alot larger and move obvious, and there is more of a cheeky, happy expression on it compared to the rest.

Offline spinozsa

I agree with this so much, but he seems so biased in wanting to keep it at this point. Seems that's the case because his wife recommended it if the backstory is anything to go off of.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Some PC renders here:

A bit change to the rear (for the better I think) is being made to optimize for PC production, more details to come!

Offline FTR_Beat

looks super clean!

So PC option confirmed huh...  :thumb:

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Some PC renders here:

A bit change to the rear (for the better I think) is being made to optimize for PC production, more details to come!

Show Image

All three look so good x__x

Offline FlitzDeelman

Yes please, I'm interested! Same look as v1 wouldn't bother me, I'd prefer to not have 2020 there, but that's me, not a dealbreaker.

Offline Mainian

Some PC renders here:

I think I prefer an inlaid badge design, with the case running the around the entire board? I guess I haven't seen the any boards with a badge like this in person, but wouldn't error tolerance between cast top and badge be much lower with a design like this, gaps and spacing issues would be much easier to spot, etc...?