Author Topic: Leopold FC660M - MX Clear switches  (Read 4338 times)

Offline nicstreet

Leopold FC660M - MX Clear switches
« on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 09:35:26 »
Good afternoon all, anyone have any ideas if these are still available? I've just purchased a Pok3r with MX-Clears and whilst I love the size of the board and feel of the clears I'm desperately missing dedicated cursor keys. I'll likely dispose of a Filco TKL (MX Brown) to fund if these (or similar) are still available.

As an alternative are there any other options in terms of 60% boards with MX-Clears and dedicated cursor keys, worst case... if someone has one they want to get rid of  ;D i could be tempted.

Thanks all

Nic

Offline danny_m

Re: Leopold FC660M - MX Clear switches
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 09:40:36 »
Hi, you may want to take a look at KÛL ES-87, KÛL Smoke ES87U and KBP V80 TKL.

Offline nicstreet

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 09:50:02 »
Thanks Danny, probably should have mentioned that I'll be looking to carry this around to use with my Surface Pro3 instead of the awful type cover keyboard. I have a Filco MJ2 TKL and size wise it's a little less portable hence me looking for a 60% ish. Leopold FC660 seemed to be a bit in-between.

Offline Altis

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:16:36 »
Another option.. you could always get one with MX Brown or something and then get some MX Clears (or better yet, Zealios/Ergo-Clears) to replace them.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:30:27 »
Another option.. you could always get one with MX Brown or something and then get some MX Clears (or better yet, Zealios/Ergo-Clears) to replace them.

That is another option...which is impractical (because everyone new person who comes on this forum has the necessary skills and equipment to take apart a keyboard, de-solder, re-solder, and put it all back together) and expensive ($100+ for the keyboard and $50+ for the switches, not to mention any soldering equipment and such).

OP, your best bet is to hang around the classified sections here and on reddit as well as checking fleBay to see if one pops up for sale.

Offline nicstreet

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:31:58 »

Indeed I could, in terms of complexity and skills required, is it difficult? Seems it's possible to unclip the top of the switch and replace just the spring?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:36:27 »

Indeed I could, in terms of complexity and skills required, is it difficult? Seems it's possible to unclip the top of the switch and replace just the spring?

In order to just remove the switch top you need either a PCB mounted board or a board with a plate designed to allow switch top removal. The FC660M is neither of those unfortunately.

Also to go from browns to clears requires more than a spring replacement you would replace both the stem and the spring.

Offline nicstreet

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 11:12:43 »

In order to just remove the switch top you need either a PCB mounted board or a board with a plate designed to allow switch top removal. The FC660M is neither of those unfortunately.

Also to go from browns to clears requires more than a spring replacement you would replace both the stem and the spring.

Looking at this it appears this may be possible?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 11:17:49 »

Looking at this it appears this may be possible?

Sure if the switches are only PCB mounted it is possible, I don't see a plate in the video, I don't have sound to listen to it but regardless you can not change the switches on a FC660M without desoldering them. And yeah read the comments on the video.  8)

Offline Altis

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 12:07:37 »

The switches on an FC660M (and indeed most mechanical keyboards) are soldered into a PCB circuit board as well as mounted onto a plate. The plate prevents the tops of the switches from coming off.

Replacing just the stems/springs ends up being more work than just changing the switches outright since both procedures involve desoldering each switch and removing the switches from the plate.

It really isn't that difficult, and there are lots of people who can guide you through around here. It just takes some patience as there are quite a few solder points on the PCB that all need to be desoldered using a soldering iron and a desoldering stick (spring-loaded syringe-like device).
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline nicstreet

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 14:02:20 »

The switches on an FC660M (and indeed most mechanical keyboards) are soldered into a PCB circuit board as well as mounted onto a plate. The plate prevents the tops of the switches from coming off.

Replacing just the stems/springs ends up being more work than just changing the switches outright since both procedures involve desoldering each switch and removing the switches from the plate.

It really isn't that difficult, and there are lots of people who can guide you through around here. It just takes some patience as there are quite a few solder points on the PCB that all need to be desoldered using a soldering iron and a desoldering stick (spring-loaded syringe-like device).

Thanks mate, I think I'll get one ordered, along with a soldering station and other associated kit. Keeping this little lot hidden from the my good lady is not going to be easy.

Offline Altis

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 18:44:38 »
Thanks mate, I think I'll get one ordered, along with a soldering station and other associated kit. Keeping this little lot hidden from the my good lady is not going to be easy.

Alright... but if she finds out, you didn't hear it from me. It was... err.. Ed Smith.  :-X