Author Topic: (HELP!) KB Paradise V60 or Pok3r  (Read 3756 times)

Offline jdreamer

(HELP!) KB Paradise V60 or Pok3r
« on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 02:17:22 »
Greetings,

I am in love with all of those photos of the Poker customisation that you guys have in this forum. I currently have 3 boards - Archiss TKL MX Brown, Filco TKL MX Blue and Filco Limited Edition Carbon White MX Red.

I am looking to buy a 60% keyboard with the aim to customise it like you guys have done (change the base, covers, etc) but I can't seem to find a place in Australia that sell Pok3r so I am looking either import it from mechkb or just get KB Paradise V60 mini.. If I am looking to customise it, should I save some money and get V60 mini instead of the Pok3r? So far, all I can find is close to AUD200+ for Pok3r and AUD130+ for V60 mini.

Another question is should I get another Blue switches (my favourite) or try other switches?

Help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... and if you are kind enough, please think of an excuse that I can use to get permission from wife to buy it!!!  :p

Thanks...  :D :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:05:27 by jdreamer »
My life for Aiur!

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
Re: (HELP!) KB Paradise V60 or Pok3r
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 02:50:17 »
Well if you want to customise it especially when it comes to the case, remember that the Pok3r has an aluminium case already and getting a different one is kinda wasteful at that point. So if you get the V60 you can get a case for it. I would also look at the layers they have and what options you have there. my two cents
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 September 2016, 02:52:25 by Fiery »
TP4 fanboy

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:04:42 »
Well if you want to customise it especially when it comes to the case, remember that the Pok3r has an aluminium case already and getting a different one is kinda wasteful at that point. So if you get the V60 you can get a case for it. I would also look at the layers they have and what options you have there. my two cents

Hey Fiery,

Is the customisation on the V60 similar to the Pok3r? As in the cases are compatible, etc?

Also, what do you mean by layers?

Cheers.
My life for Aiur!

Offline Fiery

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:12:34 »

Hey Fiery,

Is the customisation on the V60 similar to the Pok3r? As in the cases are compatible, etc?

Cheers.
In most cases both will fit an aftermarket 60% case (afaik). And when I'm talking about layers I am referring to the FN layers on the boards. Because to get the full functionality in a smaller form factor you need FN layers. So I would look at how the layout on both boards look and which provides the functionality you need. Also it could be worth checking if the V60 can be flashed with custom firmware, so you can make your own if you have the time and knowledge to do so. Also a simple but really nice customisation is to get aftermarket keycaps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 September 2016, 03:15:08 by Fiery »
TP4 fanboy

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 04:06:09 »

Hey Fiery,

Cheers.
In most cases both will fit an aftermarket 60% case (afaik). And when I'm talking about layers I am referring to the FN layers on the boards. Because to get the full functionality in a smaller form factor you need FN layers. So I would look at how the layout on both boards look and which provides the functionality you need. Also it could be worth checking if the V60 can be flashed with custom firmware, so you can make your own if you have the time and knowledge to do so. Also a simple but really nice customisation is to get aftermarket keycaps.

I just had a quick look and noticed they're quite similar in the layouts so I assume both fit into an aftermarket case the same? I probably don't need to customise the firmware but rather want the accessibility of customising the case and keycapts.

If V60 offers what I need, then it is more sensible to get it and customise it later?
My life for Aiur!

Offline Fiery

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 04:13:18 »

Hey Fiery,

Cheers.

I just had a quick look and noticed they're quite similar in the layouts so I assume both fit into an aftermarket case the same? I probably don't need to customise the firmware but rather want the accessibility of customising the case and keycapts.

If V60 offers what I need, then it is more sensible to get it and customise it later?
Yes, one thing I want to add though is that the Pok3r comes with a aluminium case and PBT keycaps out of the box. So if you want to customise it go for the V60 instead as you're paying more for the Pok3r because it comes with a better case and keycaps out of the box.
TP4 fanboy

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 05:44:53 »
In the end, I got myself a second hand Poker II from eBay!
My life for Aiur!

Offline Fiery

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 00:58:54 »
nice! Hope it serves you well  :thumb:
TP4 fanboy

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 04:27:49 »

It's in the mail now. Hopefully I will get it soon. :)

Any idea where the best place to shop for cases is? :D
My life for Aiur!

Offline Fiery

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 04:49:22 »

It's in the mail now. Hopefully I will get it soon. :)

Any idea where the best place to shop for cases is? :D

Nop, check if there is a group buy here otherwise I can't help much.
TP4 fanboy

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 11:27:05 »
There are 60% aluminum cases on MassDrop every month. If you also want to get in on keycap group buys, you should consider becoming a member.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 18:48:16 »
Both the Poker and V60 are a standard fit in aftermarket cases.  The Poker is very heavy and some love this and some don't- because of the aluminum case.  The Poker also comes with quality keycaps- PBT or ABS, depending on the model you buy, but these caps are generally superior to the V60's ABS.

The Poker is able to reprogram keys if you would like to move them.  The V60 can be had for about 20-40  us dollars less than the Poker 3, depending on which models you are looking at.  The V60 does have some nice color schemes to choose from which is a very nice touch.  I like them both.  Depending on what you are looking to replace or customize, some of this may be helpful or not at all. 

Which switch to choose is a different story.  This is very personal and everybody has their own opinion.  Blue is my least favorite EVER, but some live for it.  My preference is Cherry Brown, which many may dislike.  There are a thousand postings and websites offering details as well as heated debates on this topic.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 05:51:28 »
It's too late, I'm already typing on a Poker 2 haha.. :)
My life for Aiur!