Author Topic: Help On Picking First Keyboard  (Read 2034 times)

Offline dozenal2112

Help On Picking First Keyboard
« on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 20:08:18 »
I have just learned of the existence of the mechanical keyboard scene, and the more I read the need to pick a proper first keyboard becomes more important to me so I decided to ask you guys at geekhack for help. I'm not quite sure where to place this thread so sorry if it's in the wrong section. 

After a ton of research I have settled upon a 60% board, narrowing my search to a pok3r, the V60 Type R, and maybe even the KBDfans custom assembles they offer. I really value the feel of the keyboard more than anything else and would enjoy more sturdy build quality over features such as programmability as I don't see myself using it in the future. Arguments like this is why the pok3r is at the forefront of my decision. I don't think I can even justify buying two keyboards nor additional cases or caps so I want to make my very first keyboard the be all end all with no regrets.

That being said, I would need the perfect switch. Cherry browns seemed good until I tried them at a friends house and they felt mushy, almost comparable to a rubber dome I'm afraid to say. I bought a mechanical switch tester for cherries but I fear that may not be enough. I'm looking at the more enthusiast options such as the zealios which sounded like the perfect switch on paper. However I quickly learned that they're a premium switch costing a ton and rarely come reassembled off the shelf.  I don't own a soldering iron nor do I trust myself with them even if I did so I don't believe building my perfect keyboard is an option for me. That's why the KBDfans route with the custom boards seemed appealing to me. I have never tried zealios switches however so I'm not sure if I should take the leap either, especially because I only bought a cherry mx switch tester.  Perhaps I should fork over another 10 dollars for the zealios tester? 

I'm begging you guys to give me some guidance on a reasonably priced board that I'll value for the rest of my life, and maybe some advice on what type of switch to get or how to find my perfect switch.       

Offline cameronmcleod71

Re: Help On Picking First Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 20:48:21 »
Hello, I am new here just like you and went through all of that trouble trying to find the perfect switch. I tried browns just like you and they felt mushy and gross, while blues were a bit too clicky and loud for my liking. What I ended up doing was going to the store and buying differnet keyboards with different switches to try them out and them returning them if I didn't like them. I tried reds and I did like them, although they still felt a bit slow for typing. Then I tried the speed switches and they were great. They were kinda close to reds except so much more smooth and responsive, and to me they sounded great to. I finally bought a ducky shine 6 with the cherry mx silver (speed) switches and its great, I love it. I would recommend either cherry mx blue switches if you like heavier louder switches or the silver speed switches if you like lighter switches.

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 21:36:30 »
... so I want to make my very first keyboard the be all end all with no regrets.   

I think that's impossible. You gonna narrow it down to something you really think you like now, but then in 2 years you'll hate it.

My first mech board was a Filco Majestouch full keyboard with Cherry browns. I thought that was my "end all be all" board and I can't even look at the thing now as it turns my stomach. I hate Cherry browns and a full board takes too much space. Then I really liked buckling spring stuff for a while, but now not so much. After that I had many boards over the years and today I am liking a 60% board with Gateron greens and a layout like the Infinity Hacker.  This is probably going to change next year ...

The best advice I can give you is take your time, and try many different things (spend some time with them)... Your tastes will likely change over time.

Offline dozenal2112

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 22:41:46 »
Thanks for posting guys.  I have tried MX cherry blues as well and they're more in my range of switch, with the heavier mechanical feel.  I have yet to try the lighter switches you love though cameron.

Also gorauskas you may be right, however I want to eliminate that feeling by picking a higher end board right off the bat.  If I get sick of it then there would be no further upgrade that I can think of.  Thanks for the input though, getting tired of your board is a genuine issue. 

Offline corygrapher

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:39:57 »
My suggestion is to get a switch tester before you decide.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 04:22:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Not many people find that their first keyboard purchase is their last.

My first modern mech was a Ducky with MX blues.  I still kinds like blues, but found that they were too light.

I do like MX greens.  But I also like, and probably prefer, MX blacks.

Then I tried a buckling spring keyboard and was saved.

But only until I got an HHKB.

A switch tester cannot really give you the feel of typing on a keyboard.  I have a few switch testers, and ended up just using them to display artisan keycaps.

The best option is to attend a meetup, where you can not only meet like-minded keyboard enthusiasts, but also try a range of keyboards with standard and custom switches, cases, keycaps, plates, controllers and so on.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iceteazz

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 01:10:10 »
 _ If you want a keyboard ( or a type of switch etc ) is your last, then you should try Topre. And because before mech keyboard, you have used membrane keyboard your whole life, Topre would be more than familiar than Cherry or other " true " mechanical switches. If you like Topre, find a layout that work for you, imo 1800 layout from Leopold FC980C is nearly perfect ( lack of media stuff, but still ok ) then the keyboard would be your very last one. If you DON'T like Topre, then you will find no rest in your life, because people who don't love Topre, find themself trying all kinds of switches, burn through a ton of keyboards, keycaps, layouts, custom stuff and there are no ways back, yet ( except they go bankrupt lol )
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 January 2018, 01:12:00 by iceteazz »

Offline dozenal2112

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 01:26:42 »
Iceteazz, I see what you mean by selecting a topre board.  I'm too weak to bring myself to buy a myself a 200 dollar board however lol.  To jump to topre before ever trying classic mechanical switches may be a bit nonsensical.  Fortunately I have already made my peace with selecting a keyboard after deciding that the trouble to judge which keyboard to buy over weighs the actual value of getting a perfect board.  Thank you everyone in the thread for helping me come to my decision.

Offline iceteazz

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 01:50:02 »
Iceteazz, I see what you mean by selecting a topre board.  I'm too weak to bring myself to buy a myself a 200 dollar board however lol.  To jump to topre before ever trying classic mechanical switches may be a bit nonsensical.  Fortunately I have already made my peace with selecting a keyboard after deciding that the trouble to judge which keyboard to buy over weighs the actual value of getting a perfect board.  Thank you everyone in the thread for helping me come to my decision.

_ Yeah, it's good that you make a selection, good luck. I was like you years ago, my very 1st one is a Cherry brown from Steelseries, after that things went crazy because i was deep in this hobby and it costs me plenty of money ( money cost for time spent, which is much bigger than real money to buy sutff ) After i found out Topre and fall in love ( again ) i sold all my " expensive " mech keyboards that i got, and keep only one Topre ( RF 87UW 55g ) and i'm in peace right now. It costs much more at beginning, yes it is, but compared to a ton of keyboards and modding and keycaps and stuff i have had, it's pretty cheap lol. I think i know the feel of Macbook and Thinkpad fans, they buy the most expensive products which work for them, and done, instead of many trial and error phases. Anyways, good luck finding your true love ^^
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 January 2018, 01:59:56 by iceteazz »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 03:12:22 »
I have 67g Zealios. I thought they were much better when I first got them, but I don't think they're quite as fantastic as I did at first. I'm not sure if I think they are too light or if the tactile bump isn't pronounced enough (I feel it distinctly when pressing keys individually, but it's less noticeable when typing normally). They do have a very satisfying sound though. They are smooth and definitely a nice switch, but I wouldn't consider them an end all be all, personally.

In my opinion, nothing beats a good buckling spring, and they're what I come back to when everything else stops feeling right. I have had a number of Model M variants over the past year and a half, so I know that some feel better than others. But, if you get a really nice specimen, the buckling spring has the perfect amount of weight, tactility, and click sound. That said, Model Ms don't come in 60%. I'd recommend Ellipse's Model F62, but you probably wouldn't see your keyboard for a long while (the group buy is currently two years old and still in production).
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 04:17:35 »
I have 67g Zealios. I thought they were much better when I first got them, but I don't think they're quite as fantastic as I did at first. I'm not sure if I think they are too light or if the tactile bump isn't pronounced enough (I feel it distinctly when pressing keys individually, but it's less noticeable when typing normally). They do have a very satisfying sound though. They are smooth and definitely a nice switch, but I wouldn't consider them an end all be all, personally.

In my opinion, nothing beats a good buckling spring, and they're what I come back to when everything else stops feeling right. I have had a number of Model M variants over the past year and a half, so I know that some feel better than others. But, if you get a really nice specimen, the buckling spring has the perfect amount of weight, tactility, and click sound. That said, Model Ms don't come in 60%. I'd recommend Ellipse's Model F62, but you probably wouldn't see your keyboard for a long while (the group buy is currently two years old and still in production).

If you like buckling springs, then only maybe MX greens might appeal to you, although they seem (to me) much lighter than buckling springs, and the sounds of MX greens is more like a tick-tick-tick sound than the clack-clack-clack of buckling springs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ