Author Topic: Custom split ergo sandwich case generator  (Read 5312 times)

Offline joesventek

Custom split ergo sandwich case generator
« on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 11:31:11 »
I'm currently in the process of a building a custom split ergo board. After I've had great success with swill's plate building tool for my last custom 40% the initial plan was to use this tool for creating the split board as well.
Unfortunately, after messing around with Libre- and FreeCAD to get the initial DXF files from swill's builder to my liking, I quickly came to the conclusion that I really don't like working with those CAD programs.

So I set out to do the design for the case in OpenSCAD. This is what this post is about. A bunch of OpenSCAD files that can be used to create custom split "ergo" keyboard sandwich cases for keyboards that will be handwired.

There's still a few things missing, like creation and placement of cutouts for ports or automatic screw hole placement. But with the change of just a few settings you can easily customize the case that's being created.

For example, changing the thumb cluster to only three keys and moving it 1u to the right involves changing exactly two configuration values (num_thumb_keys and thumb_keys_position).

Don't want staggering, a column less and a key more on the outermost column? No problem:

Simplicity!

While changes like these are really easy there are still some limitations. For example the thumb keys have to move along an arc of a circle, there's no easy way to change the overall shape of the case or to make sure there's enough room for the microcontroller.
Also there are no sanity checks in the code to prevent messing up things by changing settings that are interdependent.

So before adding more fancy stuff I figured it was a good idea to ask if there's any interest in a "ergo sandwich case generator"? What do you think? Would this be of use to you? Should I publish the code? Any ideas what should be included?

Offline mrzealot

• PhD in Googling stuff...
Re: Custom split ergo sandwich case generator
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 17:15:57 »
This looks really cool. I've read about this programmatic OpenSCAD generation for the dactyl and determined that it's probably also how I'd design my plate / case one day. So by all means, publish it, I might fiddle with it in the future...

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 04:16:08 »
You've developed a niche product witin a niche hobby - how many people want ergo boards?  How many DIY?  Problem is this leads to a chicken and egg scenario because if there's no easy way to do something people won't do it, then they won't know that they should have.  There have been multiple versions of the ergodox so there is interest, not to mention that half a board makes a great gaming pad.

What I'm saying in a strange way is please publish it!  It's not going to make you famous but it will surely be useful to someone :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline taako

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 15:02:36 »
that first model looks almost exactly like the ergo keyboard i am designing haha. Still undecided on thumb cluster vs thumb arc but the main finger layout portion looks the same

Offline fpazos

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 16:27:31 »
That looks amazing. I know that it is a complex program, so it is time expensive but if you publish your code (i. e. Github) maybe you could find some help. I don't know your situation but for a newbie programmer, working on a project like this is a good cv plus.
For example I'm a web designer but also programmer and as I don't have any programming related studies and neither can show my profesional work, I'm now working on a STM32 keyboard for QMK and I intend doing also a split ergo with same controllers. That will be good for me and also for everyone else as this method could be under half price than any method.
Go for it!!

Offline taako

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 16:40:42 »
That looks amazing. I know that it is a complex program, so it is time expensive but if you publish your code (i. e. Github) maybe you could find some help. I don't know your situation but for a newbie programmer, working on a project like this is a good cv plus.
For example I'm a web designer but also programmer and as I don't have any programming related studies and neither can show my profesional work, I'm now working on a STM32 keyboard for QMK and I intend doing also a split ergo with same controllers. That will be good for me and also for everyone else as this method could be under half price than any method.
Go for it!!

Does QMK support STM32? I thought it was only AVR

Offline fpazos

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 16:59:22 »
Does QMK support STM32? I thought it was only AVR
If you check the keyboards folder you'll find a folder named chibios_test that contains some examples using chibios for a couple of arm controllers but for only one button. Xydane here in GH used an STM32 for replacing the controller of a KC64 but using the same PCB. He gently sent me the code and that was my amazing starting point.

Offline joesventek

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 02:49:32 »
Thanks for all the feedback!

I think I'm going to publish the code as soon as the missing bits (screw holes and port cutouts) have been added. Might take a while though since I barely have any free time at the moment :(

Offline T14

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 02:47:16 »
This is awesome and exactly what I'm looking for!
Thank you!
Autocorrect is my worst enema.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 09:06:22 »
Hi, I just finished the other project on which I were working. I could give you a hand if you want some help because I'm quite interested on learning SVG graphics, and as it's a web tool I think I would be more helpful.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 12:15:22 »
Cool. I've got to learn OpenSCAD, considering how much pseudo-generated stuff (rotate & move, n copies by angle calculated in Python...) I have been doing in QCad.

Offline NZcaps

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 04:05:14 »
Very nice. Would love to see some pics

Offline joesventek

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:59:10 »
I got busy with life and other hobbies so it took a little longer than anticipated to publish the code. Actually it still really isn't usable but I figured I publish it anyway.

You can find a Mercurial repository containing the code and some instructions on how to use it at https://hg.sr.ht/~joesventek/split.scad.