Author Topic: [IC] KAT WoB - IC Closed, details inside  (Read 85520 times)

Offline rondg

Re: [IC] KAT WoB
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 20:39:55 »
I am in. Hopefully my wallet is too.

Offline carlouws

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 20:42:08 »
Would it be possible to add two 1.5 R4 Super keys in the TKL kit? These would allow a MacOS or a MacOS-like layout in 7u bottom-rows and in WKL when using alt and super in R4 and ctrl in R2.

Hey there! What do you mean by "Super" keys for the 1.5u? Shouldn't the 1.5u alt keys work for that or am I over looking something?

I meant the meta/sys/command/win key. The alt key works for sure but it was about having the right symbol in the right place.

Offline rondg

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 20:56:01 »
Any chance to move the R0 1u Del key to the TKL Modifiers kit? ;D
That's the only key needed to cover the basic (standard?) 75% layout for alpha + tkl modifier, at least for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2019, 20:58:33 by rondg »

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 21:16:49 »
1. God I LOVE that you use the proper ⌥ icon for the Alt/Option modifier and not the upside down variation. That has been one of my pet peeves with GMK sets.

2. Since we're already almost there: Any chance of switching ◊ to ⌘? KAT Milkshake did have a Command kit for just that Mac key, though I don't think Windows & Linux users would mind having ⌘ instead of ◊ in all the mod kits :)

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2019, 01:08:55 by nguyenhimself »

Offline krio

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 21:28:05 »
Looking forward to putting this on my boardwalk. Hope the ergo is supported!

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 21:37:21 »
Nice! I'm a huge fan of all-icon sets so this is a must buy. Just have a few things to say.

-The icon for Scroll Lock looks like it would be better suited for Insert. Maybe Scroll Lock could be up-and-down arrows with a bar through the middle or something like that?
-Caps Lock icon just looks upside down in my eyes. Caps Lock is based on the old Shift Lock so I think the open arrow pointed up with a bar underneath makes more sense.

Also, I might be wrong but aren't some of the rows mislabeled on the TKL kit? Based on the Alphas and the Numpad kits the (2u) Backspace row would be R1, the Tab row would be R2, and so on.

I'll definitely consider changing those if the ask is there :) I put a lot of effort into the icons so I am glad you are liking them for the most part! Regarding the row profiles, they are correct. The extra R0 in the numpad kit is for users with 1800/compact 1800 style boards since they need an extra set of top-row caps for the numpad cluster.
You sure though? In the top section of the TKL Mods kit the Shift row is R3 but for the extra Shift keys on the bottom you have them as R4. The Numpad kit rows are labelled correctly, and since the Num Lock row is R1 then that would mean that the 2u Backspace row should also be R1.

Offline kairuwu

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 21:54:33 »
this and a second round of alpha for monochrome  :cool:

looking forward

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 23:15:10 »
Nice OCM novelty there. Way to imprint yourself in the hobby 4 eva

Offline Owl

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 23:17:57 »
Hangul instead of Hiragana and I'd be interested for sure. Looks good though and people will like it regardless.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 01:10:01 »
this and a second round of alpha for monochrome  :cool:

looking forward
Well there's KAT alpha, the first set of this profile. No icon modifier though.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 01:12:37 »
BTW, considering this is reverse dye-subbed PBT, what's the guess-timated lead time for this set? Sanctuary PBT is gonna take like 5 months I believe.

Offline architones

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 01:22:39 »
Interested! Has the KAT profile been tested with reverse dyesub (which is what I'm assuming will be the case here)?

I've gotten photos of some samples, and am waiting on some for myself as well! :D

Great! Can't wait to see the samples.

Offline jrs

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 01:37:14 »
I'd like to see a render of it on the wilba.tech Thermal.

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 02:01:21 »
What in the world is The Key Company SP-111 in the renders? Google turned up nothing.

Offline Nvmbra

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 02:34:34 »
Aren't the rows numbered wrong in the TKL mod kit?
The current Tab key is in the same row as the number keys. So for the first row of alphas you would have R1(for the mods) and R2(for the alphas) mixed together.
It looks like you moved the rows after the function keys one row further down than need to be.

That's the only key needed to cover the basic (standard?) 75% layout for alpha + tkl modifier, at least for me.

I second this after you fixed the rows but I think he means for R1 instead of R0.

There's currently no way to do HHKB/Tsangan layout for example without having mixed rows.
If you fix the rows it would open up more compatibility for 60-75% layouts.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 02:44:42 »

I don't think Windows & Linux users would mind having ⌘ instead of ◊ in all the mod kits :)

I most certainly would.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 02:45:44 »
Hangul instead of Hiragana and I'd be interested for sure. Looks good though and people will like it regardless.
Full mono hangul kit would be amazing.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 02:59:03 »
Very interested in this keyset.
A NorDe kit would be awesome.

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 03:30:53 »
+1 for a Colevrak kit!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 03:38:42 »
Very interested!

+1 for a Norde kit  :thumb:

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 05:15:51 »

I don't think Windows & Linux users would mind having ⌘ instead of ◊ in all the mod kits :)

I most certainly would.
Unlike the Windows key, ⌘ is a pretty... neutral icon, no?

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 05:23:51 »
Nice! I'm a huge fan of all-icon sets so this is a must buy. Just have a few things to say.

-The icon for Scroll Lock looks like it would be better suited for Insert. Maybe Scroll Lock could be up-and-down arrows with a bar through the middle or something like that?
-Caps Lock icon just looks upside down in my eyes. Caps Lock is based on the old Shift Lock so I think the open arrow pointed up with a bar underneath makes more sense.

Also, I might be wrong but aren't some of the rows mislabeled on the TKL kit? Based on the Alphas and the Numpad kits the (2u) Backspace row would be R1, the Tab row would be R2, and so on.

I'll definitely consider changing those if the ask is there :) I put a lot of effort into the icons so I am glad you are liking them for the most part! Regarding the row profiles, they are correct. The extra R0 in the numpad kit is for users with 1800/compact 1800 style boards since they need an extra set of top-row caps for the numpad cluster.
You sure though? In the top section of the TKL Mods kit the Shift row is R3 but for the extra Shift keys on the bottom you have them as R4. The Numpad kit rows are labelled correctly, and since the Num Lock row is R1 then that would mean that the 2u Backspace row should also be R1.

I am so dumb lol you are right those are definitely misnumbered

Offline ocm

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 05:27:57 »
The current Tab key is in the same row as the number keys. So for the first row of alphas you would have R1(for the mods) and R2(for the alphas) mixed together.
It looks like you moved the rows after the function keys one row further down than need to be.

I second this after you fixed the rows but I think he means for R1 instead of R0.

There's currently no way to do HHKB/Tsangan layout for example without having mixed rows.

Yep I'm dumb and misnumbered the rows lol going to get that fixed asap. I'm not sure what is preventing hhkb/Tsangan at the moment since the R2 backspace and R1 tilde and pipe/slash keys are included. Is there a Tsangan variant that uses a 1u delete in R1?

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 06:08:22 »
I love it when a IC comes out of nowhere and pushes just the right buttons, It having separate ISO support is the cherry on top.
I can see this looking really clean on my gingham build.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 06:22:20 »
Very interested!

+1 for a Norde kit  :thumb:

seconding this, Norde would be a great addition

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 06:37:15 »
Nice set ! Could you add a ISO-FR kit please ?
(This seems like my daily routine for each new KAT set, I apologize for the repetitiveness)

Heya! Definitely something I can consider! I've had a few requests for it.

In the name of the true baguette people : thanks  :thumb:

Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Nvmbra

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 06:47:01 »

Yep I'm dumb and misnumbered the rows lol going to get that fixed asap. I'm not sure what is preventing hhkb/Tsangan at the moment since the R2 backspace and R1 tilde and pipe/slash keys are included. Is there a Tsangan variant that uses a 1u delete in R1?

That was only an example for the misnumbered rows. If they're getting fixed it's all good.

The R1 Delete key is used on 65% or 75% layouts, if you look at some renders of GMK sets you should be able to see what I mean.

Anyway, definitely in for at least one set.

Offline ocm

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 06:57:12 »

That was only an example for the misnumbered rows. If they're getting fixed it's all good.

The R1 Delete key is used on 65% or 75% layouts, if you look at some renders of GMK sets you should be able to see what I mean.

Anyway, definitely in for at least one set.

I fixed the rows for the TKL kit, does everything look kosher now? I still need to add the delete, but hopefully it makes more sense now

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 07:52:51 »

I most certainly would.

NO (YMMV).

For some of us, the ⌘ symbol is totally and utterly tied to Apple, second only to the bitten apple symbol in brand association.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 07:53:51 »

I most certainly would.

NO (YMMV).

For some of us, the ⌘ symbol is totally and utterly tied to Apple, second only to the bitten apple symbol in brand association.
Agreed. I don't want windows keys and I certainly don't want apple keys.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 08:09:24 »

I fixed the rows for the TKL kit, does everything look kosher now? I still need to add the delete, but hopefully it makes more sense now

Ok, here I go again.

Alphas: no issues.
Hiragana alphas: don't know enough to make an informed comment.

TKL modifiers: most of the stuff needed for 75% and 65% is there... EXCEPT R0 Insert and Delete keys, which ARE used a lot in 75% keyboards. The are both on on the next kit (numpad and 1800), but I'm not sure if they should reside there instead of inthe TKL modifiers kit.

Heck, note that "TKL modifiers" is a misnomer, as this set supports TKL, 60%, 65% and (almost completely) 75%.

While we're at it: as long as KAT is still in early stages and there is some wiggle room to play around, consider adding 1.5U R0 Esc and Delete keys (as is done in Vortex keyboards) to this kit.

ISO: Did I mention the need to add the R3 \| key, for full US English over ISO or ANSISO support? If not or if so, don't forget to add the R3 \| key, for full US English over ISO or ANSISO support. Because having the R3 \| key, for full US English over ISO or ANSISO support is, like, quite important and stuff.

P.S.: add the R3 \| key, for full US English over ISO or ANSISO support. Thanks. :thumb:

And if you're really feeling generous, add an R4 <> key as well, so both traditions of US English over ISO (but not ANSISO, duh) can be covered.

Ergo/40s/ortho: don't know enough to make an informed comment.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 08:14:48 »
Before going any further, can I just say that all rows are wrong?

R5 is at the top and it goes down to R0. Milkshake had this wrong.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 08:19:23 »

I most certainly would.
As an Arch user myself, not only would I mind ⌘ instead of ◊, I am actually offended that you had the audacity to even suggest the ⌘ symbol is neutral. It's a symbol of evil, corporate, proprietary,  closed source software, which big strong daddy Stallman has fought tooth and nail to free the layman from. Placing the ⌘ key would show great disrespect to the perfect 100iq society and movement of FOSS. It would be no different than flying an offensive flag, or tattooing a scarlet letter upon my bosom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 08:23:59 »

That's another thing that needs to be corrected as soon as possible, so future KAT sets won't run into errors. I suggest that we all agree on naming the rows on KAT sets as "Kn" instead of "Rn", so there will be no ambiguities as to which row is anyone referring to.

Offline ocm

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 09:46:57 »

Hey JSaintS!

I was trying to follow Biip's lead and get the row naming more closely aligned with what we are used to with GMK/SP/JTK and the like. If this is an issue, I can definitely remedy it.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 09:51:12 »

Hey JSaintS!

I was trying to follow Biip's lead and get the row naming more closely aligned with what we are used to with GMK/SP/JTK and the like. If this is an issue, I can definitely remedy it.

I did the same with my kits at first ^^ I sent them to Alex for quoting and he informed me that they were wrong. I do not think it is a huge problem, but for future keyset designers that will check previous KAT sets for reference and for quoting, I think it is "important" :) (everything that speeds up the quoting process is a plus imo, specially given the fact that we have zFrontier as a middle man and it's not direct conversation with the manufacturer)

Offline Popopro

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 10:52:42 »
Zfrontier gonna be a proxy for this?

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 12:05:13 »
Deskmat needs the dope skull logo in the middle or in the right bottom corner imo.  :thumb:

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline ocm

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 12:43:54 »

Yep! Zfrontier is the point of contact with Keyreative and I believe proxies all KAT/KAM profile sets.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 12:44:44 »

I most certainly would.

I would as well.

Offline Popopro

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 13:44:08 »

Yep! Zfrontier is the point of contact with Keyreative and I believe proxies all KAT/KAM profile sets.

Nice! Makes this set so much more accessible for me then. Definitely in for this!

Offline rondg

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 14:36:43 »

I actually do mean R0. I always put my Del key to the upper right corner, same row with the function keys.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 16:51:17 »
... which big strong daddy Stallman has fought tooth and nail to free the layman from. ...

You mean this guy?

I appreciate that he wrote emacs, but, dude.... gross.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Nvmbra

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 06:16:54 »

Looks good to me!

I actually do mean R0. I always put my Del key to the upper right corner, same row with the function keys.

Alright my bad, the assumption came from WoB Hiragana but I forgot the rows are different there.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 09:02:17 »
... which big strong daddy Stallman has fought tooth and nail to free the layman from. ...

You mean this guy?

I appreciate that he wrote emacs, but, dude.... gross.
Didn't he also support some pedophile associated with Jeffrey Epstein? Dude is dodgy AF.

But back to the set, though. This is a brilliant set, but I don't think I can justify getting another right after getting 8008 and Milkshake. Those deskmats, tho. They do look spicy.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline ocm

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 16:46:51 »
Mini update -

Things I'm working on -

Command kit for Mac keys (2 1u, 2 1.25u, and 2 1.5u)
Colevrak kik
International kit
ISO-FR kit

Things I'm not working on -

Text mods
More/different legend alpha kits

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 17:21:53 »
Mini update -

Things I'm working on -

Command kit for Mac keys (2 1u, 2 1.25u, and 2 1.5u)
Colevrak kik
International kit
ISO-FR kit

Things I'm not working on -

Text mods
More/different legend alpha kits
Very excited to hear about the Colevrak kit!
Thank you so much!

Offline psxndc

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 20:57:30 »
Nice OCM novelty there. Way to imprint yourself in the hobby 4 eva

Is the plan to actually have an OCM novelty? Because I'm honestly digging it. Thanks for at least considering Colevrak btw.
Ortho. Always.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 21:02:16 »
Form filled! Very interested int his.

Offline asianfork

• Alice
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 21:44:49 »
Tbh, I wasn't a big fan of WoB. But seeing it on KAT looks very nice