Author Topic: [IC] Infinitum - GB Starting 5/16  (Read 70566 times)

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
[IC] Infinitum - GB Starting 5/16
« on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 19:45:44 »
Welcome to my debut board, Infinitum.

The group buy for this board will occur on Saturday, May 16th, 2020 at 9AM EST through my store, https://eniigmakeyboards.com!

I've been working on this board for a while now, and I'm happy to finally unveil it.

Here are some more details about the board itself:
    Top mount
    Silver aluminum plate (polycarbonate plate will be available as an add-on)
    Mirror-finished stainless steel weight
    60 FCFS units for the public
    1 color - Muted Blue
    Will be run through my website, eniigmakeyboards.com
    Pricing: $635
    PCB: Custom PCB with Unified Daughterboard
    90-120 day lead time.
Prototype Photos*

*Note regarding color, the color will be slightly modified for the GB, they will look more like the renders. Always keep in mind the screen you are viewing it through

Renders (by the talented Abec13)
GMK Dracula by Pikku-allu

GMK Mizu by Rensuya

GMK Rudy by Warren

Join the Discord for early peeks and quicker project updates! https://discord.gg/FbdVJbD

Massive thanks to everyone who's helped me with this project in one way or another!
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2020, 08:34:33 by eniigma »

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
[IC] Infinitum - Revamped IC + Updates
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 19:47:56 »
Changelog:
11/26/2019 - IC Posted + changed wording in OP
12/4/2019 - Renders updated, weight material updated to stainless steel, plate updated to be compatible with more layouts, plate is now aluminum
12/18/2019 - Proto ordered, ETA is mid-February
1/9/2020 - Prototype has finished manufacturing! (ahead of schedule)
1/12/2020 - Prototype arrived
4/3/2020 - More renders added

Prototype pictures:
233746-0233748-1233750-2233752-3233754-4
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2020, 12:19:44 by eniigma »

Offline mrpetrov

Re: [IC] Infinitum
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 19:49:07 »
Thanks for sharing it man!

Would you mind explaining a little more what makes it "ultra-high end" (apart from price) and different?

Also, the pics make it look like it has really sharp edges, is that the plan?

Have you used Stripe before to collect GB funds through whatever entity you will use here or have you spoken to others who have (wondering whether they could lock up funds)?
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2019, 19:51:25 by mrpetrov »

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 19:52:44 »
Thanks for sharing it man!

Would you mind explaining a little more what makes it "ultra high end" (apart from price)?

Also, the pics make it look like it has really sharp edges, is that the plan?

Have you used Stripe before to collect GB funds through whatever entity you will use here or have you spoken to others who have (wondering whether they could lock up funds)?
I'll change the wording in the OP though, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I think the side profile stands it apart. It is all preference though, but I personally really like it.

The plan is to have it have fairly sharp edges, with very soft fillets and small chamfers.

I personally haven't used Stripe before, but I've spoken to others who have explained to me how much better it is than Paypal, etc.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 April 2020, 16:47:59 by eniigma »

Offline Pheyn

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:01:10 »
Depends on the price, but I'm interested. Diggin the name too :)

Will the be a prototype made before the gb goes live? I usually go for more greyscale colors for my boards, but I'm curious how this blue will turn out  :thumb:

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:01:47 »
v clean

lets go baby

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:02:26 »
Depends on the price, but I'm interested. Diggin the name too :)

Will the be a prototype made before the gb goes live? I usually go for more greyscale colors for my boards, but I'm curious how this blue will turn out  :thumb:
Prototype will be made after some small revisions, and some feedback from the community!  :D

Offline fireworm

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:03:30 »
WK and WKL?  Or just WKL?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:04:15 »
WK and WKL?  Or just WKL?
I was planning on WKL only this round.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:18:27 »
This looks like the Sofia, albeit in a TKL form. Also looks almost exactly like the OTD 360 Corsa, sans the bottom bit. Can you elaborate on what is pioneering about this design?

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:23:19 »
This is a tenkeyless design, inspired by the desire to create something different.

wait a second...

jokes aside, looks neat -- you should design your desired tolerance in (i see zero on the weight) and specify them in technical documents so nothing is left up to the imagination

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:35:58 »
This is a tenkeyless design, inspired by the desire to create something different.

wait a second...

Show Image

jokes aside, looks neat -- you should design your desired tolerance in (i see zero on the weight) and specify them in technical documents so nothing is left up to the imagination

i will do that, thanks.

This looks like the Sofia, albeit in a TKL form. Also looks almost exactly like the OTD 360 Corsa, sans the bottom bit. Can you elaborate on what is pioneering about this design?
the corsa is definitely one of my grail boards, and I think i involuntarily modeled this after it, but i don't think that it has the same design language (what I mean by that are the fillets and the chamfers)
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:43:48 by eniigma »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:45:23 »
Nice boring rectangle, one color. I like it the crisp edges (hopefully not Tofu sharp?) and the thin bezels. I'll be keeping an eye on this for when the prototype arrives.

What is the typing angle?

Will you be releasing the plate file eventually? I'm not a big fan of brass and I know many others aren't either.

Edit: and Stripe? No buyer protection, no thanks.

And I do have to complain about your wording here:

This is a tenkeyless design, inspired by the desire to create something different. I've made several revisions on this exact design, and while I look up to many many creators, I want to pioneer something new and exciting.

Right now Infinitum looks like "more of the same, but executed well". Which is totally fine by me -- I think we need more well-designed boring rectangles, and that's personally what I want in a keyboard. But I'm just not seeing the "different" or "new and exciting" here.

That said, the Sofia is also explicitly meant to look like the Corsa. And the Mech27 very clearly emulates its side profile. Looking like a Corsa isn't a bad thing. It's just not a new thing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:53:18 by tex_live_utility »
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 21:09:29 »
Nice boring rectangle, one color. I like it the crisp edges (hopefully not Tofu sharp?) and the thin bezels. I'll be keeping an eye on this for when the prototype arrives.

Will you be releasing the plate file eventually? I'm not a big fan of brass and I know many others aren't either.

This is a tenkeyless design, inspired by the desire to create something different. I've made several revisions on this exact design, and while I look up to many many creators, I want to pioneer something new and exciting.

Right now Infinitum looks like "more of the same, but executed well". Which is totally fine by me -- I think we need more well-designed boring rectangles, and that's personally what I want in a keyboard. But I'm just not seeing the "different" or "new and exciting" here.

That said, the Sofia is also explicitly meant to look like the Corsa. And the Mech27 very clearly emulates its side profile. Looking like a Corsa isn't a bad thing. It's just not a new thing.

thanks for all the feedback.
5 degree angle
plate files will be public
i guess all keyboards are boring rectangles, aren't they  :))
stripe is something i'm still debating. i should do more research into more payment options, but I am going to explore vendor options as well. I did change the wording of that segment, and I agree with your evaluation.
hopefully it won't be tofu sharp, but i'll make more revisions to the sharpness.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 21:11:37 »
I quite like it

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 21:24:15 »

5 degree angle
stripe is something i'm still debating. i should do more research into more payment options, but I am going to explore vendor options as well. I did change the wording of that segment, and I agree with your evaluation.
hopefully it won't be tofu sharp, but i'll make more revisions to the sharpness.

Sounds good. I'll be looking forward to the prototype  :thumb:
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 21:29:06 »
I quite like it

5 degree angle

Sounds good. I'll be looking forward to the prototype  :thumb:

<3 <3 <3

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 21:58:05 »
I'm not the biggest fan of TKL but this might change my mind mainly on how clean it is. I'm also a fan of the minimum bezels.

Offline badboy731

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 22:02:42 »
I like what I see. I’m in. Best of luck
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 23:00:21 »
In curious what’s supposed to set this board apart from other TKLs? Seems bland. (Sorry)

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 23:16:41 »
Looking forward to seeing a prototype. I personally love the more understated designs.

Offline Cadaveriffic

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 02:57:36 »
Nice minimal design, I'm quite interested!

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 07:53:11 »

I would highly recommend using Shopify.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 08:24:41 »

I would highly recommend using Shopify.
vendors is something I think will allow a lot more flexibility and comfort for the buyers, so I'm planning on doing that.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 09:23:58 »
In curious what’s supposed to set this board apart from other TKLs? Seems bland. (Sorry)
no harm in asking. I think what sets this apart is the aggressive design language and (hopefully) the overall build quality of the board will be superior.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 09:30:50 »

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 11:25:32 »
no harm in asking. I think what sets this apart is the aggressive design language and (hopefully) the overall build quality of the board will be superior.

What do you consider aggressive about the design?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 12:04:06 »

What do you consider aggressive about the design?
the sharper-than-usual corners and edges, the side and rear profile is something I consider "aggressive".

Offline lofo.

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 12:36:00 »
Looks good ;D

Offline hicals

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 12:50:24 »
I want a keyboard too

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 23:45:53 »
Looking good.  Big fan of the blue color

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
Re: [IC] Infinitum - Weight and Plate Updates
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 20:32:35 »
Prototype will be ordered soon. Made some changes to the design, and can be found in the OP

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 21:38:05 »
anyone else have anything else to comment before the prototype is ordered? all feedback is welcome!

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 21:54:13 »
As a math teacher, I feel obligated to buy this.  Looking forward to the proto!

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 22:59:57 »
As a math teacher, I feel obligated to buy this.  Looking forward to the proto!
ad infinitum <3

Offline dydy124

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 23:46:18 »
I understand that the board may not be for me for this reason.. But the infinity symbol I've never been a fan of. Would look into buying otherwise. Infinitum written somehow instead would be really great *to my taste*. The rest of the design (all of it) is exceptionnally clean :eek:

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 06:02:31 »
I understand that the board may not be for me for this reason.. But the infinity symbol I've never been a fan of. Would look into buying otherwise. Infinitum written somehow instead would be really great *to my taste*. The rest of the design (all of it) is exceptionnally clean :eek:

the logo is only on the underside, and it's silk screened on. I was originally considering a top logo, but I removed that. I'll consider alternatives for future runs, perhaps, but thanks for your interest!

Offline dydy124

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 11:09:00 »

the logo is only on the underside, and it's silk screened on. I was originally considering a top logo, but I removed that. I'll consider alternatives for future runs, perhaps, but thanks for your interest!

Sure thing, good luck with the project! I'll be looking forward to your next releases :)

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 23:46:58 »
hey guys, quick update:
the proto was ordered around a week ago. machining is set to begin Feb 4th, and should take around 15 days to ship out to me.

I know this is longer than expected, but the factory is really backed up ATM with CNY.

I'd expect a early-to-mid March GB.

Offline sarsaparillagorilla

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 20:27:54 »
Nice........ I'm down

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 06:13:32 »
Hey everyone, another quick update. The prototype has finished manufacturing pretty quicky, and they shipped it out to me. It should be arriving next week, and when it does, I'll take plenty of pictures and post them here. Cheers!

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 14:40:47 »
Protos have arrived. Better photos coming in the upcoming days
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 14:43:01 by eniigma »

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:00:26 »
That is straight up gorgeous, the infinite symbol looks a little better than I thought it would. Any thoughts on making it thinner & smaller and moving it to the bottom right corner?

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:04:39 »
Will there be any clearance issues with H87ALPS due to the contacts?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:12:28 »
Will there be any clearance issues with H87ALPS due to the contacts?
it should work fine, I'll check it out

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:13:06 »
That is straight up gorgeous, the infinite symbol looks a little better than I thought it would. Any thoughts on making it thinner & smaller and moving it to the bottom right corner?
as it stands, I'm pretty happy with the logo and the plan is to keep it the same unless a significant number of people want it minimized

Offline lemongrassii

• ig
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:25:45 »
Great looking proto, is the anodizing already what the final colour will look like?

KMAC HAPPY × DOLINGER 2017 × ORION V3 + LIGHTPAD V2 × 280 × IDB60 × LEAF60 × 8XV1.2OG × 8XV2.0ADD × GSKT-00 × TENGU × BIAS × RF87U × HHKBP2+HHKBPC+HHKBPH TYPE-S

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:28:20 »
Great looking proto, is the anodizing already what the final colour will look like?
yep it is!
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:31:12 by eniigma »

Offline lemongrassii

• ig
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 15:39:26 »
yep it is!
How nice! I'm looking forward to the higher quality photos but it's already looking very promising

KMAC HAPPY × DOLINGER 2017 × ORION V3 + LIGHTPAD V2 × 280 × IDB60 × LEAF60 × 8XV1.2OG × 8XV2.0ADD × GSKT-00 × TENGU × BIAS × RF87U × HHKBP2+HHKBPC+HHKBPH TYPE-S

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 19:04:13 »
yep it is!
How nice! I'm looking forward to the higher quality photos but it's already looking very promising
yep, I'll try to take some as soon as I can