Author Topic: [IC] Duo-M - 75% Spring Mounted Board  (Read 16399 times)

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
[IC] Duo-M - 75% Spring Mounted Board
« on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 02:04:48 »
Duo-M by Duo Foundry

GB period: 1 Mar - 31 Mar 2023
GB platform: www.duofoundry.com

Duo Foundry is back with our 2nd project! Duo-M is a 75% spring mounted keyboard with a 3-layered case design, allowing for a distinct middle layer accent piece.

Through this IC, we hope to get your feedback on the colour preferences, design and an idea of the demand for this project. Kindly fill in the below form if you are interested! Many thanks in advance :)

IC Form: https://forms.gle/G24YtKKcQScSh5at5

Details

Layout: 75% fixed hotswap + backlit
Mounting: Springs + Gasket
Case Material: Aluminium 6063
Weight Material: Aluminium 6063 / Brass?
Typing Angle: 7 degrees
Front Height: 18.5mm
Carrying Case: Duo Foundry Case
Pricing: SGD$449 / ~USD$333

Design

Similar to our first project (Duo-S), one of the main objectives was to try out a new mounting design. Spring mounts! (let me know if there was already another board with a spring mount)

To spruce up the looks and functionality of the board, we incorporated a scroll wheel. This can be programmed to adjust volume, screen brightness etc.

Also, we strived to achieve a distinct middle layer accent piece that could go all the way around the board and to give an illusion of a case within a case.

Alignment of the plate and PCB is in-built via the alignment rails on the middle case.

Colours

After considering the IC feedback, we have decided to provide for 6 distinct colours! You may mix and match the colours amongst the 5 keyboard components. This makes for a total of 720 possible permutations!

Colours: Black, Navy, Grey, Copper, Maroon, Silver
Keyboard Components: Top Case, Middle Case, Bottom Case, Scroll Wheel, Weight

Visualise your colour configuration here: https://duofoundry.com/products/duo-m

Media

Lewis Toh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_NS_YMwodA
Alexotos: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1752073280
Akeynote: Youtube review mid Mar 2023
Others: TBC

Typing Test:

Build stream/youtube reviews: TBC

Project Status and Updates
  • Structural prototype: Done
  • Prototype 1: Done
    • Rounded off top case edges
    • Daughterboard area made larger
    • Increased cable through hole size on middle case
    • Adjusted scroll wheel mount
    • Adjusted scroll wheel gasket mount
    • Adjusted alignment rails
  • Prototype 2: Done
    • Adjusted for more spring compression space
    • Changed weight from brass to aluminium (sound tuning and better colour matching)
  • Youtube/Stream reviews

More Prototype V2 Pictures

Duo Foundry Case for 60%-75% Keyboards

- CNCed foam
- Straps made of seat belt material
- Higher grade sturdy handle
- Metal zippers that won't disintegrate with time

Links

IC form: https://forms.gle/G24YtKKcQScSh5at5
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/duofoundry/?hl=en

Thank you for reading this IC! :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2023, 03:47:25 by JCraftCables »

Offline twitchytheinsideman

• UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU
    • Twitchy Homepage
Re: [IC] Duo-M - 75% Spring Mounted Board
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 11:09:12 »
Wanna see a proto typing video. Does springs make sound?  :rolleyes:

Offline Its Salty

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 17:47:03 »
I love me a 75% exploded. I also like that scroll wheel instead of the normal knob. should have a lot more versatility then a knob. whether zoom, scroll, search timelines, in CAD can probably utilize is for things like sliding through percentages/fine decimal points

Knobs are good for things like volume, and color wheels. Even if they can probably do the rest that I listed, it's a little counterintuitive to rotate clockwise to scroll down

but just a couple improvements you can make before going into GB:

1. making that gap in that S bend on the sides all one uniform thickness, it seems to have a oblong look due to the way they're designed right now

2. the lack of gasket/spring on the left and right of the board makes me think that it's not going to be a stable typing experience. soft; sure. but hitting enter/shift/backspace is going to bottom out the PCB more then hitting G/H

3. seems like you're trying to color match the middle case, wheel, and weight with each other which is good. IMO that's going to look a lot more uniform then the copper and orange trim. but if you have any renders/proto photos of the matched version, I would try and show that off rather then what's on here now
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2022, 20:03:54 by Its Salty »

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 21:00:37 »
Wanna see a proto typing video. Does springs make sound?  :rolleyes:

A proto typing video will be out once V2 of our prototypes are ready  :) Based on our testing, the springs don't make any sound when typing. The springs can be oiled if necessary too (though we didn't find a need to do so). The downward force from typing is not great, so the springs are more for absorbing the micro vibrations.

I love me a 75% exploded. I also like that scroll wheel instead of the normal knob. should have a lot more versatility then a knob. whether zoom, scroll, search timelines, in CAD can probably utilize is for things like sliding through percentages/fine decimal points

Knobs are good for things like volume, and color wheels. Even if they can probably do the rest that I listed, it's a little counterintuitive to rotate clockwise to scroll down

but just a couple improvements you can make before going into GB:

1. making that gap in that S bend on the sides all one uniform thickness, it seems to have a oblong look due to the way they're designed right now

2. the lack of gasket/spring on the left and right of the board makes me think that it's not going to be a stable typing experience. soft; sure. but hitting enter/shift/backspace is going to bottom out the PCB more then hitting G/H

3. seems like you're trying to color match the middle case, wheel, and weight with each other which is good. IMO that's going to look a lot more uniform then the copper and orange trim. but if you have any renders/proto photos of the matched version, I would try and show that off rather then what's on here now

Thank you for the valuable feedback!  :thumb:

1. There is actually a uniform thickness in the gap between the top and bottom case, even through the S bend. It could be the angle of the photos and how the middle case is recessed vs the top and bottom case that gives the impression of an oblong look. But very sharp observation!

2. From our testing, the spring locations are able to provide sufficient stability such that it will not bottom out on left/right sides from normal typing. One of the key reasons is because the plate and PCB do not have flex cuts, so the combination of both provides for a rigid platform that sits on the springs, akin to how a car sits on its suspension. Also, the springs can be swapped out for harder/softer springs if necessary.

3. That is a good suggestion! Our V2 prototypes will have colour matched weights. Meanwhile, I'll see if we can get some renders uploaded.

Offline Its Salty

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 21:30:58 »

Thank you for the valuable feedback!  :thumb:

1. There is actually a uniform thickness in the gap between the top and bottom case, even through the S bend. It could be the angle of the photos and how the middle case is recessed vs the top and bottom case that gives the impression of an oblong look. But very sharp observation!

2. From our testing, the spring locations are able to provide sufficient stability such that it will not bottom out on left/right sides from normal typing. One of the key reasons is because the plate and PCB do not have flex cuts, so the combination of both provides for a rigid platform that sits on the springs, akin to how a car sits on its suspension. Also, the springs can be swapped out for harder/softer springs if necessary.

3. That is a good suggestion! Our V2 prototypes will have colour matched weights. Meanwhile, I'll see if we can get some renders uploaded.

that's great to hear!!

would be cool to see a direct shot of that bend but I get renders can be a hastle and for something that simple. sometimes not worth the work

good to know the lack of flex cuts stabilized the typing feel

and exited to see the color matched renders

overall the project looks really solid, no youtube gimmicks, no flex/acoustic cuts, no useless OLED for no reason other then "here's an OLED", not being designed around the "PE fome mak bord gud", not overly flashy with some complex weight or badge design, I love this minimalist vibe with small bits of flare with the knob and "trim line" as I'll call it

it feels like a keyboard that's actually going back to the roots of the hobby pre Epoch, useing modern mounting to create a classic design. it looks subtle and understated (as much as I love my Epoch, it did kinda taint the way boards/switches are designed nowadays)

def gonna keep this on my watch list :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2022, 21:50:33 by Its Salty »

Offline wgsunrise

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 22:18:06 »
If you can add split backspace support available I will most likely join the GB.
I really want a exploded layout 75% with full right column macro.
And the low front height would definitely make the typing without wrist rest more comfortable.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 XQ-CC72 發送

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 01:00:38 »
that's great to hear!!

would be cool to see a direct shot of that bend but I get renders can be a hastle and for something that simple. sometimes not worth the work

good to know the lack of flex cuts stabilized the typing feel

and exited to see the color matched renders

overall the project looks really solid, no youtube gimmicks, no flex/acoustic cuts, no useless OLED for no reason other then "here's an OLED", not being designed around the "PE fome mak bord gud", not overly flashy with some complex weight or badge design, I love this minimalist vibe with small bits of flare with the knob and "trim line" as I'll call it

it feels like a keyboard that's actually going back to the roots of the hobby pre Epoch, useing modern mounting to create a classic design. it looks subtle and understated (as much as I love my Epoch, it did kinda taint the way boards/switches are designed nowadays)

def gonna keep this on my watch list :thumb:

Thank you for your kind compliments! Renders will be out soon and we hope there will be sufficient interest to make it to GB stage  :)

If you can add split backspace support available I will most likely join the GB.
I really want a exploded layout 75% with full right column macro.
And the low front height would definitely make the typing without wrist rest more comfortable.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 XQ-CC72 發送

Thank you for your feedback, we will consider this if there is sufficient demand for it!

Offline moh18one

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 07:27:59 »
Either copper or stainless steal weight would be great tbh

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 00:47:46 »

Thank you for the feedback!

Offline moh18one

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 06:42:28 »

Thank you for the feedback!

Forgot to point that I love keyboard with a slighty lower typing angle but I presume that it is due to the keyboard design. I really dig what you did there. Hopefully, this keyboard won't cost a fortune because I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Offline Springpocket

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 07:18:03 »
i believe Link65 is also spring mount in case you were wondering

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 December 2022, 00:35:35 »
Forgot to point that I love keyboard with a slighty lower typing angle but I presume that it is due to the keyboard design. I really dig what you did there. Hopefully, this keyboard won't cost a fortune because I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Thank you for the support :) We kept it at 7 degrees mainly because this has been what most ppl seem to be used to/comfortable with.

i believe Link65 is also spring mount in case you were wondering

Thanks for pointing out! Similar but different in a sense that the Link65 uses leaf springs though vs the coiled springs used here.

Offline Springpocket

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 December 2022, 11:45:01 »
would be dope if this board comes in red / gold iron man theme

Offline dystatic

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 18:23:51 »
Like the board design, I'll definitely be following the development of this. I'm pretty sure AKKO has a similar spring-mount design with the SPR67 but they use their springs to hold up the entire PCB rather than as gaskets that seems to be in this design. I believe that the ability to change the spring strengths by swapping out springs to adjust flexibility is probably one of the main strengths I'd like in a spring-mount keyboard.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 21:31:35 »
would be dope if this board comes in red / gold iron man theme

We'll consider that if the IC feedback for this is strong!

Like the board design, I'll definitely be following the development of this. I'm pretty sure AKKO has a similar spring-mount design with the SPR67 but they use their springs to hold up the entire PCB rather than as gaskets that seems to be in this design. I believe that the ability to change the spring strengths by swapping out springs to adjust flexibility is probably one of the main strengths I'd like in a spring-mount keyboard.

Thanks for the kind comments and pointing out the SPR67, have not come across this board! It is indeed spring mounted in a similar way (i.e. springs from the bottom, gaskets from the top). Do fill in the IC form and we will keep you updated on the developments via email :)

Offline LosTaquitos

• Professional Procrastinator
    • Keebs.gg Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 23:38:48 »
I love how this IC looks so far. Beautiful design. I would love to see how the board looks with a navy case and silver wheel/accent, even if just a render. Best of luck with development!
Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3070 Noctua OC | LANCOOL II Mesh

Mode Sonnet | Jwick Semi-Silent | GMK Civilizations

Pulsar Xlite V2 Wireless | Gamebitions Orbit

Offline J_Arno

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 December 2022, 07:33:30 »
I have been waiting to see what's next from the foundry! I'm excited and might have to pick this up as well!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Its Salty

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 December 2022, 23:04:27 »
I love how this IC looks so far. Beautiful design. I would love to see how the board looks with a navy case and silver wheel/accent, even if just a render. Best of luck with development!

that sounds like such a good combo

I like pastels personally but I love dark blues if they have a contrasting color like copper or bronze. silver sounds like it would work super well all the same

Offline rondg

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 03:37:50 »
More color choices would be nice but I'm good with black and orange.
Looking forward to this one.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 10:01:24 »

Thank you for your feedback, we will consider this colour combination! We'll also upload more renders soon :)

I have been waiting to see what's next from the foundry! I'm excited and might have to pick this up as well!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Thank you for your support! Means alot to us :)

that sounds like such a good combo

I like pastels personally but I love dark blues if they have a contrasting color like copper or bronze. silver sounds like it would work super well all the same

Thank you for your feedback :)

More color choices would be nice but I'm good with black and orange.
Looking forward to this one.

Thank you for your feedback! We will consider more colour options based on the IC feedback :)

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 January 2023, 09:38:18 »
Prototype V2 photos are updated into the main post!

Offline Toptiginn

• toptiginn.com
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 January 2023, 13:03:54 »
Hey! Looks amazing  :thumb:

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 January 2023, 10:32:36 »

Offline Its Salty

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 January 2023, 17:49:22 »
the new photos look amazing, but curious if the scroll wheel will have a button under it to press along with scrolling

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 January 2023, 23:06:03 »
the new photos look amazing, but curious if the scroll wheel will have a button under it to press along with scrolling

Thank you for the compliments :) Unfortunately the scroll wheel will not function as a button.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 22 January 2023, 10:39:54 »
Update: After considering IC feedback, we have decided to allow for 6 distinct colours to be mixed and matched amongst the 5 keyboard components!

Visualise your colour configuration here: https://duofoundry.com/products/duo-m
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 January 2023, 10:42:41 by JCraftCables »

Offline J_Arno

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 February 2023, 02:13:32 »
I saw the configuration tool on your website, looks really cool! Will there be a brass middle case and weight option?

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 February 2023, 02:01:49 »
I saw the configuration tool on your website, looks really cool! Will there be a brass middle case and weight option?

Thanks! Unfortunately there will not be a brass option as we wanted to offer more colour options (hence aluminium) at a lower MOQ.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 02:52:51 »
Update: Prototype review schedules and GB dates have been firmed up!