Author Topic: Any plans for SA sets?  (Read 6021 times)

Offline geniekid

Any plans for SA sets?
« on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:03:56 »
Interested in trying out the SA profile, but I'm not aware of any sets available outside of group buys that are closed.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: Any plans for SA sets?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:10:51 »
Halverson is selling some SA caps from the Commando group buy here.

Additionally, last I heard Matt3o will be running the Midnight set in SA eventually.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:16:55 »
You can also try asking Bunny if there are extras for the Penumbra GB, and I'm sure there will be people selling theirs in Classifieds once it ships out.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:52:21 »
Thanks for the responses  :D

The reason I posted in this subforum is my assumption that SA sets directly from SP would be cheaper.  Their DSA sets are significantly cheaper than the DSA GBs I've seen.  Cheaper enough that I pulled the trigger and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy DSA for gaming.  I'm hoping to have a similar experience with SA for typing/coding, but for an experimental/trial set I'm not willing to pay $85 for a base Penumbra set.  Even the ~$65 base Commando set is a bit steep (although I'll pay this much if Halverson responds in the affirmative to my PM). 

Regardless of my personal budget, I think SA has gotten pretty positive reviews from the community and I bet they'd be more popular if there were cheaper sets that were obtainable outside of GBs/classifieds.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 15:00:21 »

The reason I posted in this subforum is my assumption that SA sets directly from SP would be cheaper.  Their DSA sets are significantly cheaper than the DSA GBs I've seen.  Cheaper enough that I pulled the trigger and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy DSA for gaming.  I'm hoping to have a similar experience with SA for typing/coding, but for an experimental/trial set I'm not willing to pay $85 for a base Penumbra set.  Even the ~$65 base Commando set is a bit steep (although I'll pay this much if Halverson responds in the affirmative to my PM). 

Regardless of my personal budget, I think SA has gotten pretty positive reviews from the community and I bet they'd be more popular if there were cheaper sets that were obtainable outside of GBs/classifieds.

Aren't all the DSA sets SP sells blank?

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 15:02:43 »
The SP sets are a little plain jane, and I'm guessing the GBs cost more due to their customization and more limited manufacturing runs.

Some of the custom GB colorways and designs are really beautiful, so I feel they are definitely worth paying extra money for.  I love the Penumbra colorway.  After seeing it, I started using it for all my IDE/text editors. :)
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 15:57:13 »

Aren't all the DSA sets SP sells blank?

I think so.  I actually prefer blanks due to my custom, HHKB-esque layouts, but I bet people would still buy them just to try out the profile before dropping the money for a fully legendized (best made up word ever) set.  SP should run an IC for this  :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 March 2014, 15:59:12 by geniekid »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 18:28:22 »
There's also Nuclear Data Green.

Register your interest today!

Although it looks like not much can stop this one from proceeding.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 20:54:07 »
There's also Nuclear Data Green.

Register your interest today!

Although it looks like not much can stop this one from proceeding.

Keep an eye on the Crimean -- actual Nuclear War might,

But other than that...

Go Team Nuclear!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline The feel is of the keys!

• Click
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 18:59:18 »
I currently have a SA set pending with Signature Plastics. I'll be tell you when it gets approved for GB.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 01:48:33 »
I am expecting to sell my penumbra once it arrives. Unless our dream comes true; I also hope that SA takes me in a way similar to DSA.
That fateful day I recieved my hyperfuse set.
I never looked back.
Except for occasionally when I looked over
at my Miami set as I am hesitant to sell it.

Offline The feel is of the keys!

• Click
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 18:52:10 »
My SA set just got approved. If you want to get your hands on a SA set this is a option http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/commodore-64c-sa-set/

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:59:38 »
Keep an eye on the Crimean -- actual Nuclear War might,

But other than that...

Go Team Nuclear!

- Ron | samwisekoi

There will never be an actual Nuclear War because too many rich people won't allow it.  I can't imagine Putin wanting to live underground for the next several centuries, the same with Obama.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 23:09:17 »
My SA set just got approved. If you want to get your hands on a SA set this is a option http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/commodore-64c-sa-set/

You should start a new thread for this  :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 18:07:17 »

Thank you for the link, of course just ordered these beauties, how could you resist such brilliant beige goodness as these Commodores  :thumb: .

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 22:24:59 »

Thank you for the link, of course just ordered these beauties, how could you resist such brilliant beige goodness as these Commodores  :thumb: .

I do love classic beige sets.   

This set should have it's own thread though.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 22:53:54 »
I do love classic beige sets.   

This set should have it's own thread though.

MOST definitely  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .

Because this was sprung upon us here, there was no gradual build up hence I fear this would be ignored in favour of the BIG Group Buys currently promoted here on Geekhack.

I sure hope more jump in here because it's got the BEST SP profile for sale with that beige (love it personally) wannabe key-set, suitable for everyone that want's any C64 goodness.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 22:55:25 by Elrick »

Offline eggysayoga

• flickr page
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 02:36:56 »
I'm interested with the commodores GB, but I've heard the SA keycaps are very tight, is that true?
Never own SA keycaps before.

Offline skuko

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 03:03:51 »
i only have one SA set (the original Filco sphericals) and i can't really say that they are overly tight. don't really know whether they're SP-made, but they are ok.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 03:26:12 »
i only have one SA set (the original Filco sphericals) and i can't really say that they are overly tight. don't really know whether they're SP-made, but they are ok.

From what I have heard SP did make the Filco SA sets.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 04:17:16 »
I'm interested with the commodores GB, but I've heard the SA keycaps are very tight, is that true?

Just apply a little KY on the stem and it should easily be inserted or removed, with no problems  :thumb: .

Offline eggysayoga

• flickr page
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 06:06:30 »
I see, Thanks for the explanation guys  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 06:09:04 »

I haven't heard that - but there are not that many SA sets around.

SP DSA used to be very tight, but that was by design for industrial keyboards that sometimes get dropped, so the keycaps were tight so they didn't fall off.  SP adjusted their manufacturing process for enthusiast DSA sets so they were not as tight.

SA I don't think would be used as much industrially, so I would imagine they would not be too tight.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 06:49:01 »

I haven't heard that - but there are not that many SA sets around.

SP DSA used to be very tight, but that was by design for industrial keyboards that sometimes get dropped, so the keycaps were tight so they didn't fall off.  SP adjusted their manufacturing process for enthusiast DSA sets so they were not as tight.

SA I don't think would be used as much industrially, so I would imagine they would not be too tight.

The DSA caps are still just as tight for 'industrial' purposes. The problem was some tooling was extra tight a while back but that has been fixed.

I haven't gotten an SA set yet, hopefully soon. But it has been observed that clear stems seem to have a tighter fit regardless of key cap.