Author Topic: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing  (Read 454617 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Project Zealio - 62g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 13:17:07 »
If these are smoother I wonder how will lighter Springs would work

Good question. The smoother slider may prevent the sticking issues some people have had with Ergo Clears.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #451 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 13:32:08 »
Package was picked up in China on Thursday afternoon (Wednesday night my time)

Today:

<3 u DHL
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #452 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 14:26:51 »
Are you still taking testers/reviewers?  ;D

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #453 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 14:33:15 »
Are you still taking testers/reviewers?  ;D

Ignore Hoff, just send me 87 and I'll get em all tested for ya!  :cool:

Offline dante

« Reply #454 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:36:30 »
Hey Zeal,

Just received a buckling spring keyboard today and while I love it to bits it's becoming apparent that maybe I'd want to try something stiffer.  What spring would you recommend in the Purple Gateron to get it closer to MX Gray Tactile?

"Why not just buy MX Gray Tactile now?" --> because as I understand it it's the same stem as the MX Clear with a stiffer spring; something I want to avoid due to the fat stem.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:48:20 by dante »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #455 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:39:31 »
Hey Zeal,

Just received a buckling spring keyboard today and while I love it to bits it's becoming apparent that maybe I'd want to try something stiffer.  What spring would you recommend in the Purple Gateron to get it closer to MX Gray Tactile?

"Why not just bought MX Gray Tactile now?" --> because as I understand it it's the same stem as the MX Clear with a stiffer spring; something I want to avoid due to the fat stem.

100g+ bottom out springs.

Offline dante

« Reply #456 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:45:52 »
Hey Zeal,

"Why not just bought MX Gray Tactile now?" --> because as I understand it it's the same stem as the MX Clear with a stiffer spring; something I want to avoid due to the fat stem.

This is probably crazy talk and I'll get laughed at but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Will it be possible to order the switches without the springs for a slight discount?  I see "gold" so I have no idea how much of an effect it will have on price.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #457 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:47:17 »
Hey Zeal,

This is probably crazy talk and I'll get laughed at but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Will it be possible to order the switches without the springs for a slight discount?  I see "gold" so I have no idea how much of an effect it will have on price.

It wouldn't be possible to order the switches w/o springs, sorry. :( I guess for those spring swappers, you can always resell the springs inside?

Offline dante

« Reply #458 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:53:33 »
Hey Zeal,

It wouldn't be possible to order the switches w/o springs, sorry. :( I guess for those spring swappers, you can always resell the springs inside?

Yes I'm sure some will want them - just won't know how to put a price on them :)  Maybe I can find a keyboard assembler who will take them as a form of currency.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #459 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 19:17:08 »
Hey Zeal,

It would actually be really excellent if you sold all the parts to the switches separate.  Taking switches apart to mod them is so annoying.  Of course, figuring out how to do that without risking damages during shipping is a problem...but still, it would make them even more appealing to me.   :thumb:

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore

Hey Zeal,

It would actually be really excellent if you sold all the parts to the switches separate.  Taking switches apart to mod them is so annoying.  Of course, figuring out how to do that without risking damages during shipping is a problem...but still, it would make them even more appealing to me.   :thumb:
I do this with my vintage blacks when I sell them. I put the top and bottom together so the leaf doesn't bend

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #461 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 00:39:08 »
Hey guys, pictures incoming. I've been testing out some spring weights and how lubing affects these switches. There /may/ be a possibility that I'll be upping the weight to 65g due to the smoothness of the switches. It gives it a bit more kick and life when lubed! :eek:

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #462 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 00:47:44 »
Hey guys, pictures incoming. I've been testing out some spring weights and how lubing affects these switches. There /may/ be a possibility that I'll be upping the weight to 65g due to the smoothness of the switches. It gives it a bit more kick and life when lubed! :eek:

Exciting!

Because of the smoothness, is there a potential that a <62g spring could theoretically be used, as it would be less prone to catching on the bump on the way up?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #463 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 00:59:46 »

Exciting!

Because of the smoothness, is there a potential that a <62g spring could theoretically be used, as it would be less prone to catching on the bump on the way up?

I don't see why not!

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #464 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 01:37:17 »

I really can't wait to get my hands on these! I'd be in for a slightly heavier spring!

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #465 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 01:58:20 »

Sorry for the wait guys!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2015, 02:10:37 by Zeal »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #466 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 02:08:06 »

Offline donpark

« Reply #467 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 02:29:10 »

just to confirm, cherry keycaps will fit on these right?

Offline joey

« Reply #468 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 02:35:02 »
Is the leaf different to other gateron switches? Just wondering about putting the stem/spring into the older milky housing.

Offline KaminKevCrew

Sorry if I missed it (I'm pretty new around here...) but is it still possible for me to order a set of these, or have I missed out? (also, I have no idea how much a set would be, so there's that...)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #471 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 02:43:09 »
Hnnnnngggg. 

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #472 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 03:20:57 »
Sorry if I missed it (I'm pretty new around here...) but is it still possible for me to order a set of these, or have I missed out? (also, I have no idea how much a set would be, so there's that...)

Don't stress the group buy hasn't even started yet. Zeal has just got some testing samples for, well testing.

Offline KaminKevCrew

Don't stress the group buy hasn't even started yet. Zeal has just got some testing samples for, well testing.
Awesome! In that case, I definitely want to get in on this when the opportunity arises.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #474 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 05:18:15 »

Awesome! In that case, I definitely want to get in on this when the opportunity arises.

Looking to make my first mech, and really want to use these switches in an Ergodox.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
How do these switches compare to topre electrostatic domes? 55g
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #476 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 07:19:54 »
DAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #477 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 08:34:48 »
Zeal continues to raise the bar in everything he does. So impressive and can't wait to buy these switches.

Offline dante

« Reply #478 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 09:04:55 »
I'm confused .... you are showing bags of Gateron Purples already in the photo - does this mean there will be a Gateron Purple V2 down the line - or that you'll get to pick from two options in the GB?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #479 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 09:11:23 »
I'm confused .... you are showing bags of Gateron Purples already in the photo - does this mean there will be a Gateron Purple V2 down the line - or that you'll get to pick from two options in the GB?
You'll get to pick from two options in the GB. Purple will be tactile, "milky white" (Gateron clear) will be linear.

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #480 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 09:20:43 »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #481 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 09:48:36 »
I'm gonna have to get a picture of these Zealios in high res and set it as my wallpaper.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #482 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 11:07:53 »
Show Image
Show Image

Sorry for the wait guys!

Can I get a few?  :-*

Offline ika

« Reply #483 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 14:00:36 »
ahhhhhhh i want these so bad... under $1 is a bargain since you don't have to buy clear switch tops or springs aftermarket. really interested to see how a 55g or even a 50g spring would feel in these.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #484 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 15:17:24 »
Video below

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #486 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:01:39 »
RGB Switch Tops (One on the left) will be used for Zealios. I've tested them with GMK & other thick keycaps, and they do not catch at all!
Yes, the RGB switch tops are a bit "colder" toned.

#ruleofquarters

(sorry for dust  :-[)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #487 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:04:43 »
I must admit I was a bit lazy to catch up all the 10 pages of the topic. How will it occur? Will there be a GB or is there a form in one of these pages?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #488 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:09:08 »
Lookin at Zeal's post be like:

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #489 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:18:11 »
I must admit I was a bit lazy to catch up all the 10 pages of the topic. How will it occur? Will there be a GB or is there a form in one of these pages?

A GB/Pre-order will happen around the end of August.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #490 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:21:23 »
RGB Switch Tops (One on the left) will be used for Zealios. I've tested them with GMK & other thick keycaps, and they do not catch at all!
Show Image

Is there any change except for the wider slit for LEDs? I can't see any.

What I'm trying to say is, that the Zealios seem to catch or not catch keycaps like any other Gateron MX clone (which personally never had trouble with in my usage).

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #491 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:21:46 »

A GB/Pre-order will happen around the end of August.

Thanks for the catch-up. ;)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #492 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:33:57 »
Show Image

What I'm trying to say is, that the Zealios seem to catch or not catch keycaps like any other Gateron MX clone (which personally never had trouble with in my usage).

From my testing, stock gateron (milky housing) switch tops as well as clear tops (one on the right) can sometimes catch on bottom row keys such as Ctrl, Alt, etc. when pressed on in the corner/off center. With the RGB tops, this does not happen at all!

There is a bit of modification on the guiders for the slider (top and bottom of the switch top), but I wouldn't be able to pinpoint tell you which one fixed the catching.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #493 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:38:48 »
Show Image

From my testing, stock gateron (milky housing) switch tops as well as clear tops (one on the right) can sometimes catch on bottom row keys such as Ctrl, Alt, etc. when pressed on in the corner/off center. With the RGB tops, this does not happen at all!

There is a bit of modification on the guiders for the slider (top and bottom of the switch top), but I wouldn't be able to pinpoint tell you which one fixed the catching.

Sweeeet! Super pumped for these

Offline slickmamba

I have some lubed 55g type-s(silenced) domes and I was wondering the same thing!
Hi :)

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time

I have some lubed 55g type-s(silenced) domes and I was wondering the same thing!

Wow that's the end game! Surely these gaterons can't even compare to the feel of cup rubber
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline E3E

« Reply #496 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 17:48:52 »
As the first (I think?) community-driven and community member-created switch, this is all so amazing. It's going to give people who always wanted ergos a chance to try them without having to go through the tedious switch tuning. I'm not sure that it'd be practical for me to buy these the first go around since I have enough vintage ergos left over for my next build (but I might for their RGB compatibility!).

Will there be a round 2 group buy or is our only hope to get a lower price on these through this launch GB? Thanks for all your work put into this community, Zeal!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2015, 17:52:33 by E3E »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #497 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 17:56:13 »
As the first (I think?) community-driven and community member-created switch, this is all so amazing. It's going to give people who always wanted ergos a chance to try them without having to go through the tedious switch tuning. I'm not sure that it'd be practical for me to buy these the first go around since I have enough vintage ergos left over for my next build (but I might for their RGB compatibility!).

Will there be a round 2 group buy or is our only hope to get a lower price on these through this launch GB? Thanks for all your work put into this community, Zeal!

It'll depend on demand. I do plan on keeping these switches in constant stock, but if the demand is high, I don't see a problem with running multiple re-runs of the GB. :)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #498 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:08:25 »
I need those switches, right now. (Literally: I have 4 PCB's of my prototype 60% keyboard in need of switches and the ****ing Brazilian customs are still holding my Gateron switches from the GB. :( )

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #499 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 21:21:42 »
Woops, forgot to show this pcb shot.

Lots of interesting things can be done...