Author Topic: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing  (Read 456379 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Project Zealio - 62g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 10:41:02 »
Massdrop has a buy going on for Gateron switches right now. Three days left and it still hasn't hit the first tier. I wonder if everyone's holding out for Zealios?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline mrflow3r

• T
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 11:11:40 »
A quick question: can I design my PCBs the same as before (standard cherry-mx pcb mount footprint) to use the Project Zealio? Or is there something I should make a note of? Gracias!

Thanks for making this happen Zeal!

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 11:19:55 »
Massdrop has a buy going on for Gateron switches right now. Three days left and it still hasn't hit the first tier. I wonder if everyone's holding out for Zealios?

Maybe. But they've also ran it every 2 or so weeks, and have probably worn the market out.

A quick question: can I design my PCBs the same as before (standard cherry-mx pcb mount footprint) to use the Project Zealio? Or is there something I should make a note of? Gracias!

Yes, switch pins and dimensions will be exactly the same. The only thing that'll be different is RGB LED support. You don't have to support it, but the option is there. If you choose to just run regular LED traces, the switch can still support standard 3mm/2x3x4mm/1.8mm LEDs.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Invaderevan

« Reply #553 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 11:24:34 »

That, and Gaterons are the same price on amazon but with free 2 day shipping with prime.

WTTF Ribbits, Ashen V2 MX, Bronins

Offline mrflow3r

• T

Maybe. But they've also ran it every 2 or so weeks, and have probably worn the market out.

Yes, switch pins and dimensions will be exactly the same. The only thing that'll be different is RGB LED support. You don't have to support it, but the option is there. If you choose to just run regular LED traces, the switch can still support standard 3mm/2x3x4mm/1.8mm LEDs.
Awesome. This is awesome!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #555 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 12:39:46 »

That, and Gaterons are the same price on amazon but with free 2 day shipping with prime.

Yeah but it gets down to $24.99 at 100 units. That's a big difference if you can afford to wait.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #556 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 13:10:59 »
I received my Zealios yesterday, and they seem to be just what we've been asking for. I will post my review after I've had a chance to build up my JD45 prototype with them. Unfortunately for you guys, that will be after I return from my vacation next week. Hope you guys don't mind waiting a bit, but I'll be off-forum for several days!

Loving those clear housings, though. I can see people buying these just because of the transparent housings! Having the choice of a ~65g linear stem and ~67g tactile stem will definitely be a boon for those of us who regularly had to perform switch mods to get those things before.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #557 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 14:23:57 »
I received my Zealios yesterday, and they seem to be just what we've been asking for. I will post my review after I've had a chance to build up my JD45 prototype with them. Unfortunately for you guys, that will be after I return from my vacation next week. Hope you guys don't mind waiting a bit, but I'll be off-forum for several days!

Loving those clear housings, though. I can see people buying these just because of the transparent housings! Having the choice of a ~65g linear stem and ~67g tactile stem will definitely be a boon for those of us who regularly had to perform switch mods to get those things before.

When you take part into GB you learn that one week wait means nothing! Go and enjoy your vacations, I'll be looking forward to your review. ;)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #558 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 17:38:21 »
"Project Zealio" sounds a bit lame lame. Why name it after yourself? ^-^

Don't worry. I'm still going to dump my money on this. There's no way I'm not gonna try these!
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:28:23 by wlhlm »

Offline mtl

« Reply #559 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 18:44:49 »
Yes, switch pins and dimensions will be exactly the same. The only thing that'll be different is RGB LED support.

Zeal, did they fix the PCB mount legs? I thought with Gaterons one had to file the legs a little to get them to fit. Thanks.

MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #560 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 18:53:11 »
Yes, switch pins and dimensions will be exactly the same. The only thing that'll be different is RGB LED support.

Zeal, did they fix the PCB mount legs? I thought with Gaterons one had to file the legs a little to get them to fit. Thanks.

It would depend on the aftermarket PCB you purchase. Some board makers like to purposely make the PCB mount support pin holes smaller to give the switches a tighter fit. I tested them on Duck PCBs and they were a perfectly snug fit. I did have Gateron make the PCB mount fins ever so slightly smaller.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #561 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:38:08 »
God, I'm sold. I was going to go for 62g..I've been tempted to go with 67g now...Can the 2 grams between the 65 and the 67 really make all that difference?   :eek:

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #562 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:45:19 »
God, I'm sold. I was going to go for 62g..I've been tempted to go with 67g now...Can the 2 grams between the 65 and the 67 really make all that difference?   :eek:

Yeah it's pretty surprising that there's a noticeable difference between them, but I would imagine it's because those measurements are the forces required to bottom-out instead of actuation.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #563 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:55:33 »

Only solution: buy all the weights. :P

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #564 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:04:06 »
I didn't think so airtree but I freaking love my 67g on my GON the difference between e 62g on my duck are very noticeable. I also have 65g on my switch tester and it slightly noticeable if your paying attention to it.

Living speed bump was stating how these zealios are already very smooth without lube and that he is probably going to go the unlubed route in his review. I'm super stoked to try these out. I prefer to use only the tiniest amount of lube on cherry ergos as even just a Smidgee too much and you lose the bump. I can't wait to compare these
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 21:17:04 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #565 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:11:31 »

Only solution: buy all the weights. :P

Definitely buying 65 and 67g!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #566 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:29:53 »
ghghjjfkkdlsllslkdlksdlkkljfhghhhgjfjhfkdklsllsl;a;

Um, this was me playing with my Zealios on my newly built JD forty five. I have not worked out the function layer for the numbers or punctuation yet haha.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:32:09 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #567 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:45:31 »
Living speed bump was stating how these zealios are already very smooth without lube and that he is probably going to go the unlubed route in his review.
Yeah, I'm really excited for a switch that sounds like it's really nice without lube. I personally can't stand unlubed mx clears, but I always feel like when I do lube them they lose a lot of the tactility that I like to have while typing. Unlubed 67g zealios seem like a great compromise!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #568 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:54:22 »
Living speed bump was stating how these zealios are already very smooth without lube and that he is probably going to go the unlubed route in his review.

I'm thinking the same thing. Yes the lube was nice but honestly, all the Gaterons I've tried and smooth enough to not have to worry about lubing. It's nice just to slap a switch into a build and then enjoy.

Offline mattbox

« Reply #569 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 21:25:56 »
i want dis. and not just because purple is my favorite color

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #570 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 05:53:04 »
Other than stock MX Clear and Panda Clears. 62g, 65g, and 67g never felt so good.

I really like my lubed Panda Clears but I always thought they were a tad too heavy. How do these stack up?

I still really like Panda Clears but I think the 67g would fit you better. Give me a little while to play with these switches. I'll make a Panda Clear outta these and report back.

Sounds good! Panda clears technically have 80g springs right? Is it just me or do MX clears actually feel smoother when their stem is placed in a Gateron housing. But these new zealios sound even smoother than that!  :eek:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #571 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 08:19:22 »
How the heck did I miss seeing this thread until now!?!?!

Holy favourite switches, Batman! I have to have these, like, in the thousands....

Can't quite decide which spring weight to get, though. I like light switches, and 62g ErgoClears are my favourites, but what I'm really after is the maximum "pop" and best feel with heavy keycaps. From the reviews so far that seems to be the 67g unlubed version. I think that's got to be the one for me....

I WANT THESE.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #572 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 08:52:24 »
How the heck did I miss seeing this thread until now!?!?!

Holy favourite switches, Batman! I have to have these, like, in the thousands....

Can't quite decide which spring weight to get, though. I like light switches, and 62g ErgoClears are my favourites, but what I'm really after is the maximum "pop" and best feel with heavy keycaps. From the reviews so far that seems to be the 67g unlubed version. I think that's got to be the one for me....

I WANT THESE.

I agree. It sounds like 67g is what I'd want.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #573 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 08:59:57 »
So, after using these for a bit, PCB-mounted in my JD45, with variable weighting and Hack'd by Geeks SA keycaps, these are my thoughts:

I LOVE THESE SWITCHES!

I have always been a fan of stock clears, especially when lubed. I was never a big fan of the "ergo" mod using either stock light Cherry springs, or the Korean 62g spring, in either of the gold or standard varieties.

These Zealios, in the 62g version, feel exactly like 62g lubed ergo clears to me. I have these on the outside switches, where my pinkies would hit, so they feel okay there. I would not really prefer a full board with 62g switches, because, as I stated earlier, I've never been a huge fan of ergo clears.

The 67g version I have on the inside keys, and they feel most like lubed stock Cherry MX clears to me. Which I have always liked. But I have always felt lubed stock clears were just ever so slightly too heavy, and that's the feeling I get from these as well.

The 65g version is my "Goldilocks" switch. These feel just right. If I were to pick one weight out of the three, this would be it. As CPTBadAss said in his review, they feel very smooth and consistent all the way through from top to actuation to bottom out. I have these on the middle regions of the board,

The lubed versions of the Zealios that I received are ever so slightly smoother, but not enough to warrant the extra effort required, in my opinion. There are some who will always want lubed switches, just to have the very best experience they can get. But I am the type who would love to have a switch that I can install as-stock, and have an experience 80% or more of what the lubed version will get you. And about the same as what a lubed Cherry MX switch gets you.

So, after actual typing experience with these installed in a keyboard, I can tell you that my strong preference is toward the 65g spring version. When these are offered for sale, I will be buying large quantities of them.

in memoriam

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #574 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:02:12 »
So, after using these for a bit, PCB-mounted in my JD45, with variable weighting and Hack'd by Geeks SA keycaps, these are my thoughts:

I LOVE THESE SWITCHES!

I have always been a fan of stock clears, especially when lubed. I was never a big fan of the "ergo" mod using either stock light Cherry springs, or the Korean 62g spring, in either of the gold or standard varieties.

These Zealios, in the 62g version, feel exactly like 62g lubed ergo clears to me. I have these on the outside switches, where my pinkies would hit, so they feel okay there. I would not really prefer a full board with 62g switches, because, as I stated earlier, I've never been a huge fan of ergo clears.

The 67g version I have on the inside keys, and they feel most like lubed stock Cherry MX clears to me. Which I have always liked. But I have always felt lubed stock clears were just ever so slightly too heavy, and that's the feeling I get from these as well.

The 65g version is my "Goldilocks" switch. These feel just right. If I were to pick one weight out of the three, this would be it. As CPTBadAss said in his review, they feel very smooth and consistent all the way through from top to actuation to bottom out. I have these on the middle regions of the board,

The lubed versions of the Zealios that I received are ever so slightly smoother, but not enough to warrant the extra effort required, in my opinion. There are some who will always want lubed switches, just to have the very best experience they can get. But I am the type who would love to have a switch that I can install as-stock, and have an experience 80% or more of what the lubed version will get you. And about the same as what a lubed Cherry MX switch gets you.

So, after actual typing experience with these installed in a keyboard, I can tell you that my strong preference is toward the 65g spring version. When these are offered for sale, I will be buying large quantities of them.

You sold me Gateron blacks I'm sold on 65 Zealio too !

Is there pics of this JD45 somewhere ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline potatowire

« Reply #575 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:08:31 »

I LOVE THESE SWITCHES!

I was certain 67g non-lubed was for me...until I read this about the 65g non. I wish I could try them each out first, because I definitely plan to stock up in the GB.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #576 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:12:40 »

I LOVE THESE SWITCHES!

Thanks for writing this. I've been thinking about a variable-weight board for a while now. In fact, I was thinking about doing that on my G80-1800 when I get my Leeku PCB. And since I plan to use HyperFuse caps, I can't think of a better switch than purple Zealios.

My boards:
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #577 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:13:32 »

Not yet, but it's a beauty. Pretty much my endgame mini keyboard. I'll get some pics of it later, so you guys can drool. :)

I was certain 67g non-lubed was for me...until I read this about the 65g non. I wish I could try them each out first, because I definitely plan to stock up in the GB.

Yeah, it's hard to tell what things will feel like just by reading someone's description of it. I think the 65g would be the best option, then people who prefer lighter ergo clears could replace the springs with 62g or 55g springs, and those who prefer standard clears could replace the springs with 67g or higher. 85g springs are way too heavy, though, I can tell you from experience.

Thanks for writing this. I've been thinking about a variable-weight board for a while now. In fact, I was thinking about doing that on my G80-1800 when I get my Leeku PCB. And since I plan to use HyperFuse caps, I can't think of a better switch than purple Zealios.

I actually really enjoy the experience of typing on the variable weighted keyboard, something I didn't think I would like.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:15:40 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #578 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:26:33 »
Thanks for the write up, JD!

I just realized I never publicly shared my quick blurb review that I sent to testers. Here's a straight copy paste:

My first thoughts when testing lubed and unlubed stock switches:

62g - Wow, this feels like a way better brown. The bump is a bit more pronounced, but a bit less than what's found on 62g lubed "new" clears
62g lubed - I felt that it lost a bit of its bump after lubing. Perhaps a good alternative for Vintage browns? Koreans are cray cray over vintage browns.

65g - The whole movement is very smooth, and there's no "jumps" into bumps or ditches.
65g lubed - This really impressed me. The transition from top to bottom was pretty much perfect, and if pressed slowly, you can feel a nice cushion when bottoming out after the bump.

67g - Hard to compare Cherry to Topre, but if I had to compare the two, I'd say this would be similar. The resistance is up top, and your finger just naturally drops down after the bump. The bottom out cushion after the bump wasn't as nice feeling as the 65g counterparts. Perhaps it's due to the heavier spring which made me lose the nice, smooth gradual cushion. This stock switch reminded me of 62g "new" clears after lubing, without the gritty feel.
67g lubed - Probably my second go-to weight. While testing with a keycap and pressing down on it, the bump still felt "shorter" than the 65g lubed counterpart, but the feeling was a bit more pronounced and "in your face". It's hard to describe. The switch felt like it jumped back a bit faster/snappier, but then again, I could be imagining things.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:39:42 by Zeal »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
So the general consensus is that 65g is #1?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #580 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 11:31:47 »

I LOVE THESE SWITCHES!

You sold me Gateron blacks I'm sold on 65 Zealio too !

^^^^^ Excited to see pics of the JD45 myself :eek:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Zeal, please send me 100 65g switches so I can review for you, free of charge. :))

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Zeal, please send me 100 65g switches so I can review for you, free of charge. :))

He didn't get that many, unfortunately. That's why we reviewers all got multiple weight samples.

in memoriam

Offline micr0n

I LOVE THESE SWITCHES!

Thanks for the write up JD.  You described the setup with both the 62g and 65g non lubed as though you've read my mind.  62g on the outside and 65g on the inside was the setup I was planning on going with once these switches become available. 

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
Thanks for your insights guys.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #585 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 13:25:23 »
I actually really enjoy the experience of typing on the variable weighted keyboard, something I didn't think I would like.

How did you decide which keys were which weight?

My boards:
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
So uh.  Who remembers when that mosaic image was in the OP?

What ever happened with that?

I see no red in these Zealios.

It was a scam all along!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

Since I needed around 50 keys for my JD45, Zeal sent me 17 each of the different weights. I started in the center with the 67g's, and filled as many keys as I could, while keeping symmetry and filling all rows. Then I worked out from there with the 65g's, again keeping symmetry and filling all rows, and finally finished with the 62g's on the outside.

in memoriam

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

Since I needed around 50 keys for my JD45, Zeal sent me 17 each of the different weights. I started in the center with the 67g's, and filled as many keys as I could, while keeping symmetry and filling all rows. Then I worked out from there with the 65g's, again keeping symmetry and filling all rows, and finally finished with the 62g's on the outside.

Wow so three weights? I think the RealForce variable only has two.

My boards:
More

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

It was a scam all along!

Show Image

They were just red linear zealios from the factory as samples. I never got them, but got black ones instead.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

Wow so three weights? I think the RealForce variable only has two.

I will probably swap out the springs in the 67g switches for 65g gold springs, and then I will also only have two weights. Or I might swap the 62g for 65g, also, and have a uniform 65g board. :)

But I don't mind the stiffer feeling in the center. It doesn't bother me enough that I wouldn't use them that way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2015, 14:29:30 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

It was a scam all along!

Show Image

They were just red linear zealios from the factory as samples. I never got them, but got black ones instead.

So it was all a lie.  -_-

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

It was a scam all along!

Show Image

So it was all a lie.  -_-

The clear housing was the truth tho.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #593 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 00:06:42 »
Yeah, I'm really excited for a switch that sounds like it's really nice without lube. I personally can't stand unlubed mx clears, but I always feel like when I do lube them they lose a lot of the tactility that I like to have while typing. Unlubed 67g zealios seem like a great compromise!

Yeah I would highly recommend getting a few extra Zealios than you need in the GB and lubing those before just going at the lot of them. I am 110% on board with you about not using MX Clears unless they are lubed. The unlubed Zealios are as smooth as any of my lubed MX Clears keyboards as is, the lube really just seems to amplify/diminish the tactile bump, depending on how much you use and how you use it. It is slightly smoother, yes, but I have the feeling that after I test them on a full keyboard up to speed, I won't really notice the additional "nth" of smoothness brought on by the lube.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #594 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 00:09:25 »
The lubed versions of the Zealios that I received are ever so slightly smoother, but not enough to warrant the extra effort required, in my opinion.

Yeah, I felt the exact same way.  :thumb:

But with the clear housing, I also know quite a few people will probably sticker the switches for aesthetics, and if you already have the switch open, there isn't really a reason not at that point if you want uber-smoothness.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
This is a little bit OT but I just realized, I've never used Gateron browns or heard much about them. MX browns are known for their scratchiness. Are Gateron browns comparably smoother, like these are compared to clears?

My boards:
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
This is a little bit OT but I just realized, I've never used Gateron browns or heard much about them. MX browns are known for their scratchiness. Are Gateron browns comparably smoother, like these are compared to clears?
I've never used Gateron browns, either, but I understand from others that all Gaterons are smoother than their Cherry counterparts.

in memoriam

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
I've never used Gateron browns, either, but I understand from others that all Gaterons are smoother than their Cherry counterparts.
I have Gateron browns, haven't noticed the scratchiness I usually feel with MX ones. They almost feel like very slightly lubed MX browns. I'm not a browns fan, but if I was I'd prefer Gaterons I think.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
I have Gateron browns, haven't noticed the scratchiness I usually feel with MX ones. They almost feel like very slightly lubed MX browns. I'm not a browns fan, but if I was I'd prefer Gaterons I think.
I've tried brand new gateron and cherry browns side by side, and there's a definite difference between them. the difference is more noticeable between linear switch counterparts though.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
Perhaps I'll do a board with Zealios on the alpha and stock gateron black on the modifiers. Who knows ...  ::)