Author Topic: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing  (Read 454540 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Perhaps I'll do a board with Zealios on the alpha and stock gateron black on the modifiers. Who knows ...  ::)

I've never heard of mixing tactile and linear switches on the same board. Is there any precedent for this kind of thing?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Perhaps I'll do a board with Zealios on the alpha and stock gateron black on the modifiers. Who knows ...  ::)
Personally I'm planning on 67g zealio alphas and modded 68g Gateron blacks
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder

I've never heard of mixing tactile and linear switches on the same board. Is there any precedent for this kind of thing?

If it has a name, I've no clue of it.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

If it has a name, I've no clue of it.

Don't you think it would feel weird? What are you after?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Zustiur

I used Cherry reds on my modifiers and whites on the rest. Logic being that lighter springs should be on the keys you have to hold down.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
I used Cherry reds on my modifiers and whites on the rest. Logic being that lighter springs should be on the keys you have to hold down.

I get the variable weights issue, but mixing tactile and linear just seems weird to me.

My boards:
More

Offline Zustiur

True enough. The linear factor didn't really weigh into my decision.

I went with whites because I could be couldn't get clears. These zealios sound like the solution for my next board.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder

I get the variable weights issue, but mixing tactile and linear just seems weird to me.
To be honest I've never tried it. It is just that the lightest keys I have at hand ate gateron black. :)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
This is a little bit OT but I just realized, I've never used Gateron browns or heard much about them. MX browns are known for their scratchiness. Are Gateron browns comparably smoother, like these are compared to clears?
I've never used Gateron browns, either, but I understand from others that all Gaterons are smoother than their Cherry counterparts.

They are slightly smoother, but the tactile bump is very similar, still too small for my personal taste.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline punkpc

Do we have any idea on when these might be available? I would love these for my KC60... when ever it arrives... Also do we have a ball park pricing because these are custom runs?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Do we have any idea on when these might be available? I would love these for my KC60... when ever it arrives... Also do we have a ball park pricing because these are custom runs?
Read the thread before asking questions, he's hoping to get a groupbuy up before the end of August.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline potatowire

Read the thread before asking questions, he's hoping to get a groupbuy up before the end of August.
and expect $0.75 per switch.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
This would be perfect for the upcoming Orion V2

Offline punkpc

Sorry was digging and must have missed that.

Offline mattbox

Will we be settling on a single spring or will they be available in 62g/65g/67g?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Will we be settling on a single spring or will they be available in 62g/65g/67g?

Finalizing that by today hopefully. As it stands, maybe only 65g and 67g will remain.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ

Finalizing that by today hopefully. As it stands, maybe only 65g and 67g will remain.

Think 67g sounds real nice. I always preferred something slightly heavier :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

I would fully support that call  :thumb:

Offline Ahkrael

This is something I'm thinking of doing as well, at least to test it out.  I have a bunch of gateron browns and clears, and many different weighted springs to experiment with, but personally I think having different tactility would be interesting.  I do more gaming than typing on most of my boards, and after having used a Novatouch for about a year, going back to an MX brown board I can tell a difference while gaming, noticing the bump whereas previously I wouldn't notice anything on upstrokes with the topre.  For the modifiers though, I can't see a reason (and perhaps it has to do with some scratchiness on my cherry browns) one would want the tactility for Shift, Ctrl and Alt.  Again, this is more for gaming purposes, the way I'm looking at it.  I've got an orion v2 coming, so eventually when I have it, I want to do some test runs modding my QFR's and see what I like.  These switches look awesome though, I'm definitely going to grab at least 100.

Offline ika

For those with samples, can anyone test to see if 55g springs (esp. GON, sprit springs) will cause the switch to stick? Bonus points for heavier caps like SA profile or various artisans.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
For those with samples, can anyone test to see if 55g springs (esp. GON, sprit springs) will cause the switch to stick? Bonus points for heavier caps like SA profile or various artisans.

I think i actually have a few 55g springs left over, will look when i get back in late tonight, and test and report back if so.

Offline turboloser

I don't need this... I need this.

Offline UTEster750

Just joined the drop for the carbon keycap set, so that now means I am committed to an ergodox and these switches when the buy happens!  ;D :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
* HoffmanMyster is ready to get funky with some Zealios  :cool:

Offline asgeirtj

Re: Project Zealio - 62g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing
« Reply #624 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 09:26:02 »
So, after using these for a bit, PCB-mounted in my JD45, with variable weighting and Hack'd by Geeks SA keycaps, these are my thoughts:

I LOVE THESE SWITCHES!

I have always been a fan of stock clears, especially when lubed. I was never a big fan of the "ergo" mod using either stock light Cherry springs, or the Korean 62g spring, in either of the gold or standard varieties.

These Zealios, in the 62g version, feel exactly like 62g lubed ergo clears to me. I have these on the outside switches, where my pinkies would hit, so they feel okay there. I would not really prefer a full board with 62g switches, because, as I stated earlier, I've never been a huge fan of ergo clears.

The 67g version I have on the inside keys, and they feel most like lubed stock Cherry MX clears to me. Which I have always liked. But I have always felt lubed stock clears were just ever so slightly too heavy, and that's the feeling I get from these as well.

The 65g version is my "Goldilocks" switch. These feel just right. If I were to pick one weight out of the three, this would be it. As CPTBadAss said in his review, they feel very smooth and consistent all the way through from top to actuation to bottom out. I have these on the middle regions of the board,

The lubed versions of the Zealios that I received are ever so slightly smoother, but not enough to warrant the extra effort required, in my opinion. There are some who will always want lubed switches, just to have the very best experience they can get. But I am the type who would love to have a switch that I can install as-stock, and have an experience 80% or more of what the lubed version will get you. And about the same as what a lubed Cherry MX switch gets you.

So, after actual typing experience with these installed in a keyboard, I can tell you that my strong preference is toward the 65g spring version. When these are offered for sale, I will be buying large quantities of them.

Soo in conclusion these switches are on par with lubed mx?  But when lubed 20% better than mx?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
I think the Japanese sampler package was maybe misplaced? =P
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
GB starting soon. Setting up order form. All spring weights will be available. Waiting on mkawa's email to see if I can incorporate GH V3 lube into the buy.

62g Clear (Linear)
65g Clear (Linear)
67g Clear (Linear)

62g Purple (ergo-clear tactile)
65g Purple (ergo-clear tactile)
67g Purple (ergo-clear tactile)

$0.75 / switch
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 07:26:30 by Zeal »

Offline KaminKevCrew

GB starting soon. Setting up order form. All spring weights will be available. Waiting on mkawa's email to see if I can incorporate GH V3 lube into the buy.

62g Clear (Linear)
65g Clear (Linear)
67g Clear (Linear)

$0.75 / switch
Awesome! I'm thinking I'll go for 67g purple! (I assume we are paying through PayPal...)

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

62g Clear (Linear)
65g Clear (Linear)
67g Clear (Linear)

$0.75 / switch
Awesome! I'm thinking I'll go for 67g purple! (I assume we are paying through PayPal...)

Orders will be taken directly from my site. It accepts paypal and credit cards through Stripe.

Offline KaminKevCrew

62g Clear (Linear)
65g Clear (Linear)
67g Clear (Linear)

$0.75 / switch

Orders will be taken directly from my site. It accepts paypal and credit cards through Stripe.
Awesome! I'm super excited!!!

Offline Vaun

• ¯\_(ಠ_ಠ)_/¯
F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
75c? Tiered discounts?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline joey

How long will it be open for?

Offline andysun

Hyped! :D

Where will the switches be shipped from?

EDIT: just noticed Zeals location :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 08:57:53 by andysun »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
75c? Tiered discounts?
As explained on IRC, Gateron MOQ is really really high. If the order doesn't tip it, I'll be buying out the rest. Due to the customization of the switch and tooling/logistics, there will not be tiered discounts for this buy. Sorry.

How long will it be open for?
GB will be open until Sept 30, 2015.

Hyped! :D

Where will the switches be shipped from?

Canada. Will look into finding an EU member to proxy.

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
Welp, guess I'm going to sell off my Gateron clears and get a set of these to put into my Neutrino.

Offline awhitedev

Sorry if this has been asked before... How are you counting switches? By weight, hand, or machine? I was part of another Gateron group buy and received 10 less than I actually ordered and I want to make sure that doesn't happen here.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Sorry if this has been asked before... How are you counting switches? By weight, hand, or machine? I was part of another Gateron group buy and received 10 less than I actually ordered and I want to make sure that doesn't happen here.

I'll be double weighing them on two different scales (one measures to 0.01g), the other to the nearest gram. I'll also have one bag hand counted for cross reference. Don't worry, you won't get the short end of the stick and end up with 10 less switches.

Offline KaminKevCrew

I assume that since the GB is open until the 30th, that they will be shipping a week or so after the end of the GB?

Offline donpark

will the switches be shipped when we order or only after the GB ends?
do you ship international?

Offline KaminKevCrew

Zeal did just say something about finding a proxy member in Europe, so I'm sure he will ship internationally.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
I assume that since the GB is open until the 30th, that they will be shipping a week or so after the end of the GB?

Gateron has quoted me "1 day to manufacture" time. That does not include purchasing the purple plastics pellets, packing & shipping. I'd say roughly 1 business week after order has been submitted to Gateron before it arrives at my doorsteps. Then from there, I'll ship on a first-to-order basis.

It will be shipped only after GB ends + manufacturing + shipping time. I ship worldwide!

Offline KaminKevCrew

Then from there, I'll ship on a first-to-order basis.
In that case, I'll have to be one of the first to order!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Gateron has quoted me "1 day to manufacture" time. That does not include purchasing the purple plastics pellets, packing & shipping. I'd say roughly 1 business week after order has been submitted to Gateron before it arrives at my doorsteps. Then from there, I'll ship on a first-to-order basis.

It will be shipped only after GB ends + manufacturing + shipping time. I ship worldwide!

We really, really need to get some good quality video of the manufacturing process. :eek:

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

We really, really need to get some good quality video of the manufacturing process. :eek:

Classified info. :P
I've got some video footage of their doubleshot machines...but that's for me to watch only :))

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
I've got some video footage of their doubleshot machines...but that's for me to watch only :))

Well then, we'll just have to hack you.

My boards:
More

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Well then, we'll just have to hack you.

Show Image

I just realized I typed doubleshot instead of injection moulding. That's what happens when you get 3hrs of sleep.

Video footage also isn't online, so gl.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

Video footage also isn't online, so gl.
Is the computer where the video is connected to the internet? If so, then it can be hacked. Hide your kids, hide your wife Take good care of it!  :p

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
any advice? I've only ever used mx browns and gateron browns (just barely got my first mech). I have a mx clear coming in but haven't tried a full board with it just the tester and from the way it feels clears > browns. I feel like i'll prefer heavier keys. I don't understand the whole springiness/crisp feeling (prob cause I haven't used a mech that long and never tried modded switches). So for a complete newbie would 67's be the starting place? or 65's? 

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
Just ordered 65g tactiles for my neutrino!  $15 DHL 1 day express shipping was my only option, however.