Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2448948 times)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6100 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 18:52:48 »
A lot of us are lurkers or just use old Alps boards with no modifications, etc (I fall into both categories).
Glad to hear someone here isn't hacking up or (unsustainably) harvesting vintage keyboards.

Yeah, I just can't bring myself to disassemble a vintage Alps keyboard. It feels a bit wrong.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #6101 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 20:31:16 »
A lot of us are lurkers or just use old Alps boards with no modifications, etc (I fall into both categories).
Glad to hear someone here isn't hacking up or (unsustainably) harvesting vintage keyboards.

Yeah, I just can't bring myself to disassemble a vintage Alps keyboard. It feels a bit wrong.

Thank you!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6102 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 21:06:27 »

Thank you!

I cut a new old stock Ortek board down to make a 60% build from it.  Didn’t feel bad because it was pretty **** for quality. But yeah, nice solid boards should be respected for their purposeful beauty

https://imgur.com/gallery/8sS6M
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2019, 21:08:31 by pixelpusher »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6103 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 08:53:20 »

nice solid boards should be respected for their purposeful beauty

I am not averse to scavenging or altering common boards like Apples and Dells.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Gati

« Reply #6104 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 14:12:38 »
Sorry that this is off topic to the post, but where do most of y’all source your alps board?

« Reply #6105 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 16:58:51 »

nice solid boards should be respected for their purposeful beauty

I am not averse to scavenging or altering common boards like Apples and Dells.

I have never seen any AEK or Dell AT101W in active service in my life. (Except of course, the refurbished ones I've sold/given away to people)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6106 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 17:26:48 »

I have never seen any AEK or Dell AT101W in active service in my life. (Except of course, the refurbished ones I've sold/given away to people)

True, I have not seen a strange one in use in at least a decade, but they used to appear in salvage and thrift stores from time to time. Nor I have not seen any there for a few years.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6107 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 08:48:45 »
Got a big one, boys.  First time I've had a seller actually work with me with some good counter-offers.  Glad some people still know how to make deals.

Sweet, smooth greens.  I think it's a looker:

210369-0

Will update when it gets here.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #6108 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 13:31:14 »
Got a big one, boys.  First time I've had a seller actually work with me with some good counter-offers.  Glad some people still know how to make deals.

(Attachment Link)

OOh that is a good one! You got a switch pic from the seller? I've seen these with vintage blacks (AT) and SKCM Blue too. If the board is in as good condition as the box, those switches should be awesome:D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6109 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 11:46:42 »
Okay, so the KB-5152 has green alps.  They are pretty clean.  Several of them are buttery smooth.  Some are about an 8/10.  But here's the problem... I can't get it to work.  It has an AT-XT switch on the back.  In AT mode over PS2 (DIN-mini DIN adapter that I know works) nothing happens.  The Cursor Pad light comes on at startup of the computer, but nothing else happens.  I can't toggle numlock or caps or anything. 

If I put it in XT mode over the same adapter on startup, I can toggle numlock and capslock, but of course it doesn't work, b/c it's in XT mode.

Any ideas?  Do you think running it in XT mode with soarer's converter would work? 

It's a really fun board in good condition.  Just hate that I can't get it to work.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #6110 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 16:48:40 »
Okay, so the KB-5152 has green alps.  They are pretty clean.  Several of them are buttery smooth.  Some are about an 8/10.  But here's the problem... I can't get it to work.  It has an AT-XT switch on the back.  In AT mode over PS2 (DIN-mini DIN adapter that I know works) nothing happens.  The Cursor Pad light comes on at startup of the computer, but nothing else happens.  I can't toggle numlock or caps or anything. 

If I put it in XT mode over the same adapter on startup, I can toggle numlock and capslock, but of course it doesn't work, b/c it's in XT mode.

Any ideas?  Do you think running it in XT mode with soarer's converter would work? 

It's a really fun board in good condition.  Just hate that I can't get it to work.

Not sure if this helps but the main reason I sold my White Label Z-150 was because even though it was an AT type protocol, it would only work with a cheap Monoprice mouse-keyboard combo PS/2 converter. It wouldn't work with my Soarer's or Hasu's TMK PS/2 converter, even with the pullup resistors and remapping keys is a necessity for me.

It might be possible there is something like that going on. At least you have the switch on there so it can work in AT/XT mode with Soarer's converter (more options), though I prefer flashing TMK.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6111 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 17:09:46 »

Not sure if this helps but the main reason I sold my White Label Z-150 was because even though it was an AT type protocol, it would only work with a cheap Monoprice mouse-keyboard combo PS/2 converter. It wouldn't work with my Soarer's or Hasu's TMK PS/2 converter, even with the pullup resistors and remapping keys is a necessity for me.

It might be possible there is something like that going on. At least you have the switch on there so it can work in AT/XT mode with Soarer's converter (more options), though I prefer flashing TMK.

I have a soarer's on the way.  I bet you're right.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6112 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 00:42:52 »

my white-label Z-150 didn't work with a Soarer's either, but it did work directly over PS/2 - however, he's already tried that Oo .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6113 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 11:04:31 »

my white-label Z-150 didn't work with a Soarer's either, but it did work directly over PS/2 - however, he's already tried that Oo .

Soarer's converter worked like a charm!  Biggest board I've owned to date, but I have an omnikey ultra in the mail... so bigger things ahead!

The green alps in this board are damn near mint.  /drool

P.S.  Does anyone know what the key in the middle of the arrow cluster (cross style) is supposed to be for?  It doesn't seem to have a purpose that I can find.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #6114 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 15:35:04 »
I have tons of Buckling Spring and some Cherry MX experience, but I have never felt an Alps switch.

What would you guys say is the best and cheapest way to give them a try?
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6115 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 15:44:35 »
I have tons of Buckling Spring and some Cherry MX experience, but I have never felt an Alps switch.

Your cheapest option is going to be a Dell AT101W (probably black alps) or an AEKII (probably dampened cream alps).

I'm not a fan of the dampened cream, personally.  The important thing is to get a keyboard that looks very clean and unused since dirty Alps switches tend to feel pretty bad.  I bought a new in box AT101W as my first Alps board.

There are also a lot of boards out there for just $10 to $20 more than the ones I listed above that have white alps switches, which are really nice as well.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6116 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 15:56:50 »

alps come in many varieties, what's your current favorite type of switch? clicky, tactile, heavy, light, noisy, quiet? and we can probably point you in a good direction.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline mattlach

« Reply #6117 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 16:07:47 »
Your cheapest option is going to be a Dell AT101W (probably black alps) or an AEKII (probably dampened cream alps).

I'm not a fan of the dampened cream, personally.  The important thing is to get a keyboard that looks very clean and unused since dirty Alps switches tend to feel pretty bad.  I bought a new in box AT101W as my first Alps board.

There are also a lot of boards out there for just $10 to $20 more than the ones I listed above that have white alps switches, which are really nice as well.

Cool, thank you.   I've exhausted by keyboard budget for a while, but this may be the next one I try!
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #6118 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 16:18:15 »
alps come in many varieties, what's your current favorite type of switch? clicky, tactile, heavy, light, noisy, quiet? and we can probably point you in a good direction.

Thank you.   My favorite switch by far of the ones I have tried are Model M style buckling springs, so very heavy, very tactile and and very clacky.

I've played around with some Cherry MX switches (Red, Brown, Blue) but by comparison they all feel the same to me.  I did recently order a board with MX Greens and one with MX Clears to see if I liked them better, but I haven't received them yet.

The holy grail for me is to find a full 104 key board with a modern sleek design, simple backlit doubleshot keys for nighttime ease of use  (none of that RGB bull****, it's not a Christmas tree) natrive USB and full NKRO with a key feel as close to buckling spring as possible.

This sounds unlikely though, from all the reading I've done.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6119 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 16:34:56 »
thomas (chyros) would probably be a good one to ask about a comprison... even though it's comparing pineapple's to grapefruit.
also check out his youtube, has tons of reviews of alps boards, he did a whole trilogy on the alps switch series

possibly, blue or amber?

alps switch reference: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_series

typically the complicated versions are a little nicer & older.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 January 2019, 16:37:16 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6120 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 17:16:54 »
If you can find an AT101 in good condition and are comfortable with some manual tinkering, you can do a light modification to the switches and get a very clicky result.

« Reply #6121 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 18:19:07 »
I could throw together an Alps64 or Dell AT101W for you. You can get SKBM White/Grey, SKBM Black, SKCL Yellow, used SKCM Black, and any Matias or Tai-Hao in-production switch.

I also know of a few NOS SKCM Green switches, but those would be super-expensive.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #6122 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 19:32:12 »

(Attachment Link)

Nice!   "Keyboard" by "Professional Manufacturer of Keyboard"   Lol!

Almost sounds like some sort of scam :p

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6123 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 20:49:59 »

(Attachment Link)

Nice!   "Keyboard" by "Professional Manufacturer of Keyboard"   Lol!

Almost sounds like some sort of scam :p

Yeah that’s one of my favorite parts is the box.  Random sine wave graphic, bad slogans. 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6124 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:21:12 »

Like Pixel said, get an AT101 or AEKII. They're cheap and plentiful.

Tactile Alps have the cool advantage that you can mod the switch to linear OR clicky. You can undamp AEKII's too.

Just get a clean one. If it's dirty or well-used, it'll likely feel pretty bad, or at least not as good. Be picky and/or opportunistic.

Offline NovemberDusk

• Alps lover, IBM fanboy, purveyor of vintage.
« Reply #6125 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 03:32:44 »

(Attachment Link)

Wow, both the keyboard and the box is a looker! How much did you get it for I wonder ;D
Custom
Tofu60 | Plate - Aluminum | Keycaps - XDA Canvas | Switches - Gateron Black Inks (lubed, filmed) | Lube - Krytox 205g0 | Stabilizers: Genuine GMK screw in (lubed, clipped) | Foam Dampened

Stock
Monterey K104 (SKCM White) | Unicomp Ultra Classic (Buckling Spring) | Topre REALFORCE 104UG-HiPro | BTC 5100C (BTC Dome with Slider) | Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) | HP SK-2502 (Fujitsu Dome with Slider)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6126 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 13:48:35 »
Got my Northgate board today!  First one.  It's the OmniMac Ultra, the "Mac" version of the normal OmniKey Ultra.  It's hard to find much about this keyboard

210946-0

More photos here: https://imgur.com/gallery/8VtN3VU

The GREAT news is that I found how to get it to work with my PC.  I stumbled across a 1992 forum post from verycomputer.com where someone mentioned that the DIP switches need to have 1 and 3 down, and 2 up.  On the normal OmniKey this would be ATT 6300 configuration, but it seems to magically work with my Hasu ADB to USB converter.  The one and only thing that doesn't work in this config is the NumLock indicator.  Not that you would ever use a NumLock on a fullsize+ keyboard.

It's in very clean condition (came in the original box and styrofoam).  Archetypal white Alps in pretty much mint condition.  The keycaps are thin, doubleshot ABS and are evenly yellowed.  Very impressed with the build and heft of the Northgate. 

The only thing I don't like about it is the space bar.  Typical rattle and short travel from the foam padding underneath.  I might work on it sometime.

Also, the DIP configuration and converter didn't seem to work on my Macbook Pro.  I've had issues with other keyboards on it as well, it's finicky.  No biggie for me, b/c I hardly ever use my macbook, but certainly something to mention in case someone was looking to use this on a mac.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6127 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 14:29:38 »
pixelpusher, you might be missing the pullup resistor in the converter. this will cause various finicky issues from time to time depending on keyboard, cable, etc... congrats on getting it to work.

question for all.... has anyone put lighter springs in alps dampened cream/white or tactile switches? what's the breaking point that spring is too light to make switch work correctly? i've read about this on the MX side, very light springs in a more tactile switch (like say clear or green MX) the switch would not work correctly (tactile too stiff for spring). any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Altis

« Reply #6128 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 18:23:16 »
Got my Northgate board today!  First one.  It's the OmniMac Ultra, the "Mac" version of the normal OmniKey Ultra.  It's hard to find much about this keyboard

(Attachment Link)

The GREAT news is that I found how to get it to work with my PC.  I stumbled across a 1992 forum post from verycomputer.com where someone mentioned that the DIP switches need to have 1 and 3 down, and 2 up.  On the normal OmniKey this would be ATT 6300 configuration, but it seems to magically work with my Hasu ADB to USB converter.  The one and only thing that doesn't work in this config is the NumLock indicator.  Not that you would ever use a NumLock on a fullsize+ keyboard.

It's in very clean condition (came in the original box and styrofoam).  Archetypal white Alps in pretty much mint condition.  The keycaps are thin, doubleshot ABS and are evenly yellowed.  Very impressed with the build and heft of the Northgate. 

The only thing I don't like about it is the space bar.  Typical rattle and short travel from the foam padding underneath.  I might work on it sometime.

Also, the DIP configuration and converter didn't seem to work on my Macbook Pro.  I've had issues with other keyboards on it as well, it's finicky.  No biggie for me, b/c I hardly ever use my macbook, but certainly something to mention in case someone was looking to use this on a mac.

Looks really nice!

A forum post from 1992...  :eek: Could have been typed up on that board!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #6129 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 18:55:19 »

(Attachment Link)

Double down arrows just in case, eh?

Offline kakan

« Reply #6130 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 04:50:48 »
question for all.... has anyone put lighter springs in alps dampened cream/white or tactile switches? what's the breaking point that spring is too light to make switch work correctly? i've read about this on the MX side, very light springs in a more tactile switch (like say clear or green MX) the switch would not work correctly (tactile too stiff for spring). any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Can't say about cream/whites, but I've tried 40g sprit springs in SKCM brown switches with black switchplate and they worked fine.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #6131 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 16:33:05 »
Just paid an exorbitant amount of money, but I now have an SKCL Brown keyboard on the way. Hopefully the switches are in decent shape, at least with SKCL switches you don't have to worry about altering the tactile leaf when cleaning.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #6132 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 16:37:14 »
Just paid an exorbitant amount of money, but I now have an SKCL Brown keyboard on the way. Hopefully the switches are in decent shape, at least with SKCL switches you don't have to worry about altering the tactile leaf when cleaning.

Congrats. I got to try out a board with brown alps and I must say they are my favorite alps switches and the closest of any switch to the feel of topre. I currently have a v80 with linear modded cream dampened alps that a friend built for me. It's awesome.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #6133 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 17:39:44 »

Congrats. I got to try out a board with brown alps and I must say they are my favorite alps switches and the closest of any switch to the feel of topre. I currently have a v80 with linear modded cream dampened alps that a friend built for me. It's awesome.
I am very familiar with SKCM (Tactile) Brown Alps, the board I bought actually contains SKCL (Linear) Brown Alps! Much rarer. I have lots of custom Alps projects to come in the next few months.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6134 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 18:00:55 »

I am very familiar with SKCM (Tactile) Brown Alps, the board I bought actually contains SKCL (Linear) Brown Alps! Much rarer. I have lots of custom Alps projects to come in the next few months.
Did you get the Epson or the Packard Bell? :)

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #6135 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 18:14:04 »

Did you get the Epson or the Packard Bell? :)
The Epson, as it was a bit less yellowed. I will most likely be desoldering the switches and doing a big cleaning job. I still have four more PCBs left I designed for my NOS Blue Alps Copam keyboard that should fit the layout. If any switches go back in the chassis, it will be with one of those PCBs (yay USB and NKRO).

Too bad I hate any layout with a BAE key - so much so I had to rehaul that Copam keyboard of mine. News on that coming soon.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline nevin

« Reply #6136 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 22:45:10 »

Can't say about cream/whites, but I've tried 40g sprit springs in SKCM brown switches with black switchplate and they worked fine.

thanks kakan.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #6137 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 14:42:24 »

Doesn't changing spring (to a lighter one) actually effect the actuation force? I was was under the impression that most of the force needed to depress the switch was from the tactile dummy plate. I've never opened up my SKCM Browns.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline nevin

« Reply #6138 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 14:57:46 »
Yes. Changing springs in a switch will change the bottom out & actuation force, depending on what spring you put in them. Just like in the MX world... MX black & MX red are identical except for the weight of the spring.

Offline YooGenius

« Reply #6139 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 04:39:01 »
Picked up my first Alps board and I am blown away by the feel and sound of it! White Alps in a Focus FK-2001.

The spacebar is sticky though. I've read that I get two screw drivers, place it under each end of the spacebar and pull straight up?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6140 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 06:23:58 »
Picked up my first Alps board and I am blown away by the feel and sound of it! White Alps in a Focus FK-2001.

The spacebar is sticky though. I've read that I get two screw drivers, place it under each end of the spacebar and pull straight up?
Congrats, a nice find! :)

I'd be careful tbh. The Alps stem isn't too strong - it's just a little bar, after all. I'd recommend getting a ring puller ($1 shipped from China), and pulling it off from the middle of the switch.

Wire pullers are better for single keys IMO, but they don't fit around big keys, so it pays to have one of each.

Offline YooGenius

« Reply #6141 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 19:12:20 »

I'd be careful tbh. The Alps stem isn't too strong - it's just a little bar, after all. I'd recommend getting a ring puller ($1 shipped from China), and pulling it off from the middle of the switch.

Wire pullers are better for single keys IMO, but they don't fit around big keys, so it pays to have one of each.

Luckily I have a ring puller! So a ring puller, in the middle of the spacebar and pull straight up?

Btw, I love your Youtube Channel. Big Fan  :))

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6142 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 04:30:23 »

Luckily I have a ring puller! So a ring puller, in the middle of the spacebar and pull straight up?

Btw, I love your Youtube Channel. Big Fan  :))
Cheers mate :) .

Put the ring right where the switch is and pull up. You'll need to use a bit of force, but don't go mad on it. Still, this is by far the most likely method to not damage it.

Offline NovemberDusk

« Reply #6143 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 20:38:23 »

So, my Monterey K104 finally arrived and I am LOVING it. Fitted with SKCM Whites of the Pine variety, these feels so good and it secured my love for Alps switches :-*

The rest of the keyboard is pretty good too, doubleshot ABS keycaps with a decent solid build quality. Does flex a little when I attempted to twist it but who really does that to their keeb on a daily basis? Cable is also thicc and the connector looks pristine!

One small niggle though... one of the switches has their contact pins rusted to oblivion as seen in the picture above. And I was able to pull the entire switch out without resistance. :(

One solution I thought of is to desolder the switch on the Pause/Break key then use that as a replacement. Because who uses that key like at all?! I sure haven't. Other suggestions would be welcome too! I just want to get this board working with all the critical keys working.

All in all, this was a hella good buy. As my first Alps board, I'm pleasantly surprised and I suppose Alps, to me at least, has lived up to the hype.
Custom
Tofu60 | Plate - Aluminum | Keycaps - XDA Canvas | Switches - Gateron Black Inks (lubed, filmed) | Lube - Krytox 205g0 | Stabilizers: Genuine GMK screw in (lubed, clipped) | Foam Dampened

Stock
Monterey K104 (SKCM White) | Unicomp Ultra Classic (Buckling Spring) | Topre REALFORCE 104UG-HiPro | BTC 5100C (BTC Dome with Slider) | Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) | HP SK-2502 (Fujitsu Dome with Slider)

« Reply #6144 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 20:53:16 »

One small niggle though... one of the switches has their contact pins rusted to oblivion as seen in the picture above. And I was able to pull the entire switch out without resistance. :(

I have a bunch of extra switchplates if you need any.

Offline NovemberDusk

« Reply #6145 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 21:16:58 »

That would be sweet! Which do I need? The long or short switchplate?
Custom

Stock

Offline nevin

« Reply #6146 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 22:59:27 »
i'm looking for some apple/alps parts, see my WTB post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99212.0

« Reply #6147 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 17:20:53 »

It shouldn't matter, I think they are interchangeable.
Although since you live in Singapore it may be cheaper to buy some NOS SKCL Yellows from TaoBao and use the switchplates from them instead.

Offline NovemberDusk

« Reply #6148 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 02:16:35 »

It shouldn't matter, I think they are interchangeable.
Although since you live in Singapore it may be cheaper to buy some NOS SKCL Yellows from TaoBao and use the switchplates from them instead.

Likely interchangeable but I would like to get the most authentic feel and the difference in switchplates contribute to that  ;)

I wouldn't mind shipping switchplates from you though, it won't cost much.
Custom

Stock

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #6149 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 09:45:19 »
On the topic of Montereys and white alps, I got this Monterey K102 almost 2 weeks ago and have been using it ever since.
211937-0
The switches feel great but, even after 2 days of cleaning, still feel a tiny bit scratchy. They feel MUCH better than clicky modded black alps, though.
211939-1
The plate had almost no rust/gunk on it yet the switches were in quite poor shape. The B key doesn't even function properly despite desoldering and cleaning it. I also have to unplug and plug the board post-bios as it doesn't function when I boot though I suspect the computer is to blame.

All issues aside its proven to be a pretty great board & daily driver.
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3