Author Topic: [IC] DCX Pixel Platoon | From GMK to DCX  (Read 40962 times)

Offline Excalibur1224

Re: [IC] GMK Pixel Platoon | HIBI Metal Artisan Revealed
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 16:29:38 »
So the set was scheduled to run in September… it’s now nearly November. Did this get pushed back or is it just dead in the water at this point? Any update would be great.

Due to manufacturing costs, the designer is currently switching over to DCX through Drop from GMK. Set is still planned to be produced afaik.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 23:39:20 »
Oh my word. I just hope NorDeUK will remain then.
EDIT: And EU vendor. Pleeeease :-D
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 21:37:03 »
I personally won't buy this in DCX as I don't want to support Drop. However, for the good of the set overall switching manus was the right call. I hope for others' sake the transition to DCX won't mean Nordeuk is removed and/or that the kitting overall isn't changed much, but meh.

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 05:41:54 »
Greatly prefer GMK over DCX, but I understand the decision based on cost. Either way, this is a really awesome set and looking forward to seeing it come out. Any update on the release date?
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline Nukz

• ig: nukzak
Re: [IC] DCX Pixel Platoon | From GMK to DCX
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 11:08:10 »
Hey awesome community,

I'm back! Sorry for going MIA for a bit there. Life threw some stuff my way, but it's all sorted now, and I'm ready to roll with some cool updates.

So, here's the scoop: we had to shake things up a bit with the set. GMK was throwing some crazy prices at us, so we shifted gears and handed the set over to DCX. It's pretty much the same ABS material, though. And don't worry, vendors in other regions are still in the game, ready to sell the set.

Got some fresh kit renderings in the works too. They'll be swapping out the old ones ASAP.

Just to set the record straight – the set is alive and kicking. We're hustling behind the scenes to bring you some awesome stuff. Thanks for sticking around!

Cheers,

Nukz

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 12:21:44 »
Just to set the record straight – the set is alive and kicking. We're hustling behind the scenes to bring you some awesome stuff. Thanks for sticking around!

\o/

If there's no chance of nordeuk can you consider for example a blank alpha set or extended standard galactic set?

Ideally this would be the set that made Drop get the mold finally :-P

Offline SpookyGC

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 14:36:53 »
Nice! Would love to see more Geekhack sets running through DCX! Great looking kit!

Offline acerb

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 03:05:41 »
Good it's back. Any news about this color comparison you announced "soon" ?

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 08:27:30 »
nice! a drop set! ez pass

Offline pelfox

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 16:30:37 »

keep parroting "Drop bad, community vendor gud" and getting scammed, way to go champ!!

you and a bunch of others crap on Drop every single chance you have, and the irony here is that you are the first ones lining up to get robbed and scammed everytime the "community vendors" you worship like saints decide to post a GB thread and then vanish, die or pull the rug on everyone once their GBs (more like pyramid schemes) fall apart, shoutout to Ivan, Ctrl Alt, Noxary, Mechs and Co, Rama, Project Keyboard, who else? list is too big I cant remember them all

Drop is 99% the same as any vendor, except they are OWNED by CORSAIR and never scammed anyone. over the last 7 years I spent more than $18,000 EUR on massDrop and every single time they put a product out there it was either delivered in perfect conditions, delivered with delays, delivered with problems & rectified/refunded or cancelled & refunded altogether and I speak from my own experience importing stuff from their site

even more ironic is that DROP OWNS GEEKHACK and projected the MK hobby into a whole new level on the USA. companies like GMK, Novel Keys, Omnitype, Oblotzky, Rama OWE a huge part of their business to Drop because it was on DROP that they they got REAL exposure, CAPITAL or built part of their reputations and business relationships with customers and suppliers. Rama, Novelkeys and Omnitype did collabs with Drop and Oblotzky was just a keycap designer there before he decided to make his own company. GMK probably sold a trillion sets on that site by now. if it wasn't for Drop the ENTIRE MK space would be on a microscopical level still, but you probably don't remember when they sold Pokers and MX Clears for the 1st time, or when they launched GMK Carbon with the 1st set of NOVELTY keycaps made by GMK ever MADE

maybe once you get scammed BIG TIME you will learn that drop is legitimate and almost every "vendor" out there is a ticking bomb one mistake away from falling apart and running away with your money

keep it up OP and DROP, I'm in for one of each kit, also please make a deskmat

en boca cerrada no entran moscas

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 17:43:45 »
yeah but DCX is trash, wasted design

Offline pelfox

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 17:47:59 »
yeah but DCX is trash, wasted design

how many DCX sets you own?

no seriously I want to see a photo of your DCX set(s) and your timestamp on it, I also want your written review with photos showing why it is trash

or are you just another parrot throwing words in the wind?

Offline SpookyGC

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 17:49:26 »

Drop isn't so great? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a vendor with such quality and value with mechanical keyboards? Drop puts the game in another level, and we will be blessed if we ever see a vendor with their QC and passion for the hobby again. Geon breaks records. TKD breaks records. Drop breaks the rules. You can keep your statistics. I prefer the magic.

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 18:21:57 »
Crazy how this set was dead in the water though for valid reasons (manufacturing price) and the Designer manages to turn things around by opting to go with DCX instead of GMK yet some of y'all are still complaining despite the good news.

I own a dozen DCX sets and haven't had an issue whatsoever with any of them. Drop even brought back Hyperfuse in DCX and helped those who got burned on the original GMK Group Buy.

It takes some nerve to go into a designer's thread & spout "GMK or Nothing" basically telling the designer that you care more about the manufacturer than the design itself as if Drop is no better than some clone keycap manufacturer in China. They're a tenured business with a reputable parent company listed on the stock market. They are THE LAST vendor that would exit scam us.

Isn't competition good? Do we want GMK making every set causing the queue to get backed up again? Do we want them to grow complacent and make us settle whenever we complain about anything? Shouldn't we want other options available for designers to make their keycap set a reality?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline SpookyGC

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 19:13:02 »
I own a dozen DCX sets and haven't had an issue whatsoever with any of them. Drop even brought back Hyperfuse in DCX and helped those who got burned on the original GMK Group Buy.

It takes some nerve to go into a designer's thread & spout "GMK or Nothing" basically telling the designer that you care more about the manufacturer than the design itself as if Drop is no better than some clone keycap manufacturer in China. They're a tenured business with a reputable parent company listed on the stock market. They are THE LAST vendor that would exit scam us.

Isn't competition good? Do we want GMK making every set causing the queue to get backed up again? Do we want them to grow complacent and make us settle whenever we complain about anything? Shouldn't we want other options available for designers to make their keycap set a reality?

Agreed on all points.

I don't think anyone is making the argument that DCX is taking over as the gold standard for keycaps, but they're great caps, with solid base kitting at a solid price (assuming community backed DCX kits launch at the same pre-order/early bird pricing model as their main line stuff). I'm sure most of the people that pop in here to diss Drop, have never tried DCX and never had intention of joining the GB anyways, or pop in to ask for some obscure kitting on a set that they're not actually interested in.

Competition is great and GMK hasn't been free from imperfections recently anyways at a much higher price tag. I am curious if the current DCX pricing and kitting would be consistent for community backed DCX sets because if so, and if the turnaround time is reasonable, I don't see any reason they couldn't be a major player.

I'd much rather designers get to make their set happen and have it be more accessible for more people, rather than forcing it through GMK because a few elitist purists want to buy a GMK base kit so they can leave it sealed on their shelf.

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 20:01:11 »

Agreed on all points.

I don't think anyone is making the argument that DCX is taking over as the gold standard for keycaps, but they're great caps, with solid base kitting at a solid price (assuming community backed DCX kits launch at the same pre-order/early bird pricing model as their main line stuff). I'm sure most of the people that pop in here to diss Drop, have never tried DCX and never had intention of joining the GB anyways, or pop in to ask for some obscure kitting on a set that they're not actually interested in.

Competition is great and GMK hasn't been free from imperfections recently anyways at a much higher price tag. I am curious if the current DCX pricing and kitting would be consistent for community backed DCX sets because if so, and if the turnaround time is reasonable, I don't see any reason they couldn't be a major player.

I'd much rather designers get to make their set happen and have it be more accessible for more people, rather than forcing it through GMK because a few elitist purists want to buy a GMK base kit so they can leave it sealed on their shelf.
If I had to guess, the DCX sets like this will cost a tad more than the sets Drop produced in house since there's more R&D/labor involved especially for the Novelties. Though for the Base kit it'll probably be close to regular base kit pricing. DCX is just now doing novelty add-ons for the first time with this set, Rocky Bird, and BIM being their first designer submitted sets. So we'll see what kind of pricing there is for novelties for the first time. Either way, it's nice to see Drop taking this side of the hobby more seriously.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 09:28:44 »
If I had to guess, the DCX sets like this will cost a tad more than the sets Drop produced in house since there's more R&D/labor involved especially for the Novelties. Though for the Base kit it'll probably be close to regular base kit pricing. DCX is just now doing novelty add-ons for the first time with this set, Rocky Bird, and BIM being their first designer submitted sets. So we'll see what kind of pricing there is for novelties for the first time. Either way, it's nice to see Drop taking this side of the hobby more seriously.

In 2022 Drop's second DCX GB was designer-led and had novelties: DCX Deep Space by Booper - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=117780.0

Offline pelfox

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 09:39:59 »
In 2022 Drop's second DCX GB was designer-led and had novelties: DCX Deep Space by Booper - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=117780.0

I think this set was a comission, BOOPER didn't make interest checks as far as I know, I follow her on instagram and only learned about this set when it showed on Drop's email marketing

it was HOFFMANMYSTER who made the post you linked, I think BEAR is talking about designer sets that come to fruition thanks to interest checks + community interest, DCX Rocky Bird will be the first by ARQKEEBS, then Pixel Platoon by NUKZ / Bim by BALANCE, all posted by their artists

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 12:36:42 »
Yeah, that's basically what I meant when I said designer submitted. Basically going through the traditional process involved on here where community feedback and initial interest is gauged before sale takes place

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline pelfox

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 20 February 2024, 10:13:45 »
NUKZ I see you updated the desk mats , any chance you can make at least one of them with that nice carpet fabric reminiscent of what they used in arcades in the US? did you consider making novelties for the arrows as well?

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 21 February 2024, 09:33:26 »
NUKZ I see you updated the desk mats , any chance you can make at least one of them with that nice carpet fabric reminiscent of what they used in arcades in the US? did you consider making novelties for the arrows as well?

Frankly I love this set but I dislike both deskmats :-P

But judging by the OP those are the same deskmats that Nukz posted back in 2023-06-02.

I am just curious can you point to some other deskmats that have used the kind of fabric you're talking about because you made me want to try it, and I'm not from the US so I have no idea what you're talking about lol

Also Nukz it would be awesome if you could confirm that this set will come with NorDeUK even with DCX, because if not I'll need to pull the trigger on some alternative keycaps quite quickly for an upcoming build.

Offline Natetypesfast

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 09 March 2024, 10:54:47 »
Stoked for this, I need a set like this in my collection. Don’t understand why DCX is getting shade, great alternative to GMK and KKB. Do we have an ETA?

Offline SpookyGC

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 15:51:36 »

Unlikely since GMK Polybius already has that, but I wouldnt say no to it :)