Author Topic: Need Help Modifying LEDs On A Vortex Pure Limited  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Colt-45

Need Help Modifying LEDs On A Vortex Pure Limited
« on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 13:09:34 »
Well, since I purchased my Ducky Shining 2 with MX Cherry Reds and white LEDs I decided to pull the trigger on a "tenkeyless" design now.

I decided to go with the Vortex Pure Limited in the aluminum case along with the 50a-r o-rings from WASDkeyboards. Unfortunately, it only comes in orange (impossible to find) or green.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product%5Fdetail&p=251

I'm looking to change out all the green LEDs to pretty much all white and some red and blues. Red LEDS for the WSAD keys and blues for the backspace, Caps, Escape, and FN key.

Has anyone done a mod like this that could shed light on where I could get the proper LEDs? I'm sure soldering is going to be fun... ...

On Deck's website I found this:
Red: Forward voltage = 1.8V at forward current of 20mA; 500mc luminous intensity; 30 degree viewing angle.
Yellow: Forward voltage = 2.3V at forward current of 20mA; 2000mc luminous intensity; 30 degree viewing angle.
Blue: Forward voltage = 3.4V at forward current of 20mA; 2600mc luminous intensity; 30 degree viewing angle.
Green: Forward voltage = 3.2V at forward current of 20mA; 3800mc luminous intensity; 40 degree viewing angle.
White: Forward voltage = 3.3V at forward current of 20mA; 4000mc luminous intensity; 30 degree viewing.

I guess I got too bored being off from work  :p I will post pictures once the board comes in and I begin taking it apart etc.

Offline Colt-45

Re: Need Help Modifying LEDs On A Vortex Pure Limited
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 13:26:17 »
http://www.electron.com/leds/through-hole-leds/3mm-leds/

Would these work? I got 'em anyway for $14...

It seems like they match up with the spec's with a post on Deck's website:
Red: Forward voltage = 1.8V at forward current of 20mA; 500mc luminous intensity; 30 degree viewing angle.
Yellow: Forward voltage = 2.3V at forward current of 20mA; 2000mc luminous intensity; 30 degree viewing angle.
Blue: Forward voltage = 3.4V at forward current of 20mA; 2600mc luminous intensity; 30 degree viewing angle.
Green: Forward voltage = 3.2V at forward current of 20mA; 3800mc luminous intensity; 40 degree viewing angle.
White: Forward voltage = 3.3V at forward current of 20mA; 4000mc luminous intensity; 30 degree viewing.

Offline regack

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 13:31:06 »
I've got a non-backlit Pure and a Green LED Race.  I can't really contribute much at this point, but those forward voltages look ok.  I tested the Pure with a few red 3mm LEDs that I had sitting around... Just waiting for my LEDs to arrive, then I'll report more.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:26:28 »
I soldered on some pink LEDs to my non backlit pure and they work because there is no difference in the PCBs. I think the board is relatively flexible so as long as you are close enough with your voltage and current you should be fine.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Colt-45

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 20:26:03 »
Board showed up today... LEDs tomorrow. Perfect project for the weekend.