Author Topic: Has anybody thought about building an open aluminum chassis without a "lip"?  (Read 6504 times)

Offline egotrippin

I love the open design of the Corsair K60 with all of the keys sitting on the top out in the open but I'd like it if this could be built around another (better) keyboard.  Has anybody done this already? 

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Has anybody thought about building an open aluminum chassis without a "lip"?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 22:54:13 »
Some people from the kbdmania did, not my thing but it's kinda neat

Offline Turbo Slaab

I would love this!
Looking for CC's!

Offline egotrippin

Some people from the kbdmania did, not my thing but it's kinda neat

I looked around a bit on kbdmania but didn't stumble across it

Offline egotrippin

I would love this!

I've used a K60 for the last year and it was a good board.  The Fn keys weren't mechanical though and there's a weird glitch where the keys stop sending key presses only when playing Battlefield 3.  I'd be in the midst of jumping back and forth or strafing and firing and suddenly I'd be frozen in place and get shot down. I'd have to let go of all keys for about 1 second before it would start registering key presses again.  This was a deal breaker. 

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_

Offline Turbo Slaab

I would love this!

I've used a K60 for the last year and it was a good board.  The Fn keys weren't mechanical though and there's a weird glitch where the keys stop sending key presses only when playing Battlefield 3.  I'd be in the midst of jumping back and forth or strafing and firing and suddenly I'd be frozen in place and get shot down. I'd have to let go of all keys for about 1 second before it would start registering key presses again.  This was a deal breaker. 

That is unacceptable. I use my KB 90% for gaming and almost exclusively bf3. That's too bad. I really like that design. I've noticed that the most commercialized products are usually the most gimmicky. Although, CM is slowly breaking that train of thought.
Looking for CC's!

Offline egotrippin

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.msg787897#msg787897

Thanks for the link man.  That looks like they just fastened a back plate to an acrylic base.  I guess the concept didn't catch on. 

Offline Turbo Slaab

Thanks for the link man.  That looks like they just fastened a back plate to an acrylic base.  I guess the concept didn't catch on. 

I believe that just came out not too long ago. Too bad there's only 4 in existence. It definitely has time to catch on.
Looking for CC's!

Offline egotrippin

I believe that just came out not too long ago. Too bad there's only 4 in existence. It definitely has time to catch on.

I'd like a more unibody approach where the base plate and sides are all machined out of one piece so there are no visible seems or screws - not unlike many of the existing cases for the poker, only upside down with the switch mounts cut out. 

Offline egotrippin

Re: Has anybody thought about building an open aluminum chassis without a "lip"?
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 03:33:29 »
I would love this!

That is unacceptable. I use my KB 90% for gaming and almost exclusively bf3. That's too bad. I really like that design. I've noticed that the most commercialized products are usually the most gimmicky. Although, CM is slowly breaking that train of thought.

I'm still trying to figure out what a KB 90% is.  I'm new to this stuff. 

Offline smockey

Re: Has anybody thought about building an open aluminum chassis without a "lip"?
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 07:34:26 »

90% is referring to his usage (in this case gaming), not the size of the keyboard
Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown)  // PBT caps // o-rings mod
KBT Pure (MX Red) // PBT caps / o-rings mod

Offline egotrippin

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 08:34:02 »

90% is referring to his usage (in this case gaming), not the size of the keyboard

Ha! I must be smoking something.  I just became hip on the 60% and 75% keyboard concept and I thought 90% was something I had missed. 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:29:18 »
There is some other commercial one that have a similar style that is tenkeyless from China. It has a low price and sold under at least 3 brand name, come in several color.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:36:08 »
The Miniguru, but it was unfortunately never put into production. Only prototypes were made. It got quite a bit of attention here a couple of years ago.

A couple of home-made keyboards have been also been made that way.

There was also one guy who took his Filco tenkeyless out of its case and built up with wood under and on top of the plate. Looked really good.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:40:20 by Findecanor »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:36:28 »
GH75 version 2 (a.k.a. eRace) will be very similar to this board. Plus 84 MX keys in a 75% near-ANSI layout.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 13:00:07 »
GH75 version 2 (a.k.a. eRace) will be very similar to this board. Plus 84 MX keys in a 75% near-ANSI layout.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Do you have any more info on this?
Looking for CC's!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 13:41:24 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Do you have any more info on this?

Sure. Check out the GH60++ thread.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline egotrippin

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 07:34:19 »
The Miniguru, but it was unfortunately never put into production. Only prototypes were made. It got quite a bit of attention here a couple of years ago.

A couple of home-made keyboards have been also been made that way.

There was also one guy who took his Filco tenkeyless out of its case and built up with wood under and on top of the plate. Looked really good.

That's awesome - everything you need, nothing you don't.  It almost looks like my poker.  I'm a fan of the pointer in the keyboard too.  My first Laptop was a Thinkpad.