Author Topic: First time with a soldering iron  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
First time with a soldering iron
« on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 15:30:59 »
Hey guys was just wondering if you could rate how I did running my soldering iron.  Iron used is a Weller soldering station with a wedge type tip set a touch over 3.  The stated range on the box is listed as 5 to 40 watts.  The project was a small DIY electronic piano/keyboard with a few keys.  Everything does work just wanting a little feed back on the solder joints themself.  If I need to post a pic from some different angles let me know.

Melvang

14941-0
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: First time with a soldering iron
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:01:17 »
You fishing for compliments? Because that looks... not bad haha. There are 2-3 joints that needs more solder or reflow.

Offline ducatisteve

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:23:41 »
Haven't tried soldering a keyboard, but that looks 10x cleaner than the soldering jobs I've done on my guitars!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:27:15 »
Looks decent for your first run. Looks like a few of the larger joints could be reflowed, as WFD stated.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:27:49 »
First time? I call BS

:rolleyes:
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:36:28 »
First time I soldered was to fix some broken switches. I couldn't tell mine from the original and I only have piece of crap radioshck one.
I agree it looks like a good job. You are ready for custom keyboards.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:37:07 »
You fishing for compliments? Because that looks... not bad haha. There are 2-3 joints that needs more solder or reflow.

^what he said and you can hit it with some flux remover to clean it up a bit.. 

edit: but it looks good, keep it up!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:41:46 »
I was fishing more for critiques more than compliments.  By reflow do you just mean to get it hot and remelt the solder?  I know the one on that 8 pack could use a little more solder.  I didn't see the hole in the joint until after i took the pic. 
And this really was my first time using a soldering iron on electrical joints.  The only other time I have used one was to solder some thin sheet metal joints in 9th grade industrial tech class and that was about 15 years ago.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:43:35 »
seriously that does look good. I know you can do good work with cheap irons, but I have found using a decent iron to be a much more enjoyable experience. I got an XYtronnic adjustable wattage iron several years ago. It is by no means top of the line, but it is so much nicer to use than the RS irons I was using. The adjustable feature is so nice.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:49:39 »
not bad at all! you can scrub that rosin off with some alcohol and a toothbrush or other detail type of dealy.

quick guide to soldering joints:

1. does it physically bridge the two conductors? naturally
2. is it globular? when molten, the forces that shape the metal should be basically isometric, giving you a sphere of metal after cooling
3. is it shiny? if the solder cools without being disturbed, the surface of the metal will be highly reflective. if it's not, then there are probably lots of little micro-fractures in the joint which developed as it cooled

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.