Author Topic: Why can't you just put topre switches in any board?  (Read 8530 times)

Offline Keytrun

Why can't you just put topre switches in any board?
« on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 05:35:12 »
I see all of these custom boards that you build yourself. Why do you have to put mx switches in them? Can you not just put topres in?

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Re: Why can't you just put topre switches in any board?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 05:43:11 »
how to make topre pcb "electrostatic capacitive"? :rolleyes:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47601.0
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2014, 05:49:57 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 07:11:06 »
Patent only prevents commercial exploitation, you can DIY anything that is patented as long as you don't profit from it.

I'm sure it's possible, but a lot of work is required to first figure out the exact design of the PCB to give the controller the correct capacitance values without the traces interfering with each other. This is not trivial, since the PCB itself has parasitic capacitance. Then you need a controller that can make sense of the signals.

If you get that part right, then you need a donor board to get the springs, domes and sliders from. Then you need to either use the top plate that came with the board to locate the sliders, or make your own with the correct shape holes. If you make your own, it needs to be thick enough to stabilise the sliders and will need to be machined very accurately.

Overall, it's just too much work since they aren't individual, complete, self-contained switch units like the Cherries are.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 07:17:45 »
There is a Topre clone floating around in China for your information. Not that no clones are available for the Topre due to patent. In fact there are some rumours going around that Topre and Cherry MX switches are probably going to have their patents expired and/or have already expired.

HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 12:09:23 »
Yea - for whatever reason I thought it was just a rubber cup that you put in place of a mx switch. Guess I was wrong lol.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 18:31:35 »
TL;DR: custom Topre keyboard is so difficult to do that it's never going to happen

I did not take part in the discussion about the custom Topre back in August, but since then I have opened and modded 4 Topre keyboards, so I'm more familiar with the internals.

First of all, my mod was just about silencing them. I have added slimmed down landing pads above the plungers in order to reduce dramatically the upstroke noise of the switches. I have not done any electronic mod.

However I can tell you that building a custom Topre board probably requires a lot of engineering and for this reason I don't see anyone ever making one. It's not that it is impossible, it's just that it's too much work and that only a highly skilled person or team could succeed. I think someone like that will find much more interesting projects to work on.

The difficulty is not mechanical. A Topre board like the Realforce (there are several models) or the FC660C are basically a steel plate and PCB sandwich, held together by a fair number of screws. Between the plate and the PCB you put Topre "switches".

The Topre switch has 4 parts:
- the housing
- the plunger
- the rubber dome
- the conical spring

The sensor parts are the copper pads and tracks on the PCB, located right under the mechanical parts of the switch. The conical spring has both a mechanical and electrical role (its proximity from the PCB is what is sensed).

Getting Topre switches is trivial. You don't need to purchase them from Topre, they don't sell them anyway. You just get a Realforce, disassemble and harvest the switches. Done.

Then you need to design the steel plate that will go with your keyboard layout. This has been done many times for Cherry MX, so technically speaking it's not a problem. It's a steel plate with holes with the right shapes and locations for your Topre switches.

Then you could first design a blank PCB (one with no traces) with screw holes that would match the ones in your plate.

At this point you can assemble the plate-switches-PCB sandwich and you get a fairly good looking custom Topre board. Mechanically, that's all there is to it. It would Thock like a real one. Put keycaps on it and find a case for a nice finish (for a 60% layout, I suggest a Poker case).

Now all you need to get a working custom Topre keyboard is to design a working PCB.

And that's where the story of the custom Topre board ends.

As pointed out earlier, an MX switch is an on/off switch. Current can go through or cannot, and this will be easily detected by a logical circuit. There are many microcontrollers with logical (on/off) input and output lines that will do the work. The only difficulty left, from an electronic point of view, is to deal with the switch chatter, the fact that when you press the switch it will not immediately be continuously conductive. For a very short amount of time it will oscillate between the conductive and non conductive state until it finally settles in a stable state. The software in the microcontroller has to be programmed to take care of this, but it's an easy problem to solve.

A Topre switch is totally different. It's not an on/off switch. It actually never lets current go through. Not in a way that would be detectable by a microcontroller anyway.

A Topre switch is a capacitor with a very low capacity. When you press the switch, the capacity changes a little bit (it increases). To detect this, you need dedicated hardware able to deal with analog signals. Depending on the way you attack the problem, you may need to send a reference tension (voltage) to the switch and record how the output voltage evolves over time. You can also send a signal with a given frequency and intensity and record how the switch changes the signal (the change when the switch is not pressed is going to be different than when it is pressed).

Here is a picture of a FC660C PCB. Notice the small ICs all over the PCB. I think these are circuits dedicated to the Topre switches, probably involving analog to digital converters or comparators:

51227-0

On the FC660C I can count 5 of them (maybe one per row?). And there are additional ICs. And that's not all! The FC660C has an additional PCB. My guess is that the circuits on the main PCB deal with analog to digital (telling when a switch is on or off) and the additional PCB deals with turning these on/off signals into keycodes.

So reading the state of the switch involves dealing with analog signals and looking at how they evolve over time. It's not even as easy as measuring a voltage. You cannot just tell, say, that if the voltage is above a given threshold the switch is pressed, otherwise it's not pressed. It's much more complex than that, due to several problems:
- environmental conditions like heat and humidity
- environmental electrical noise (your computer generating radio waves, your mobile phone near the keyboard generating a hell of them)
- differences in products batches: components may vary enough over production batches that a single threshold may not work
- differences over the product lifetime: components age, dust accumulates, parts become corroded...

___q gave this link:
  http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00001334B.pdf
about how you read the state of a capacitive switch.

I have just read this document from start to end, and I can tell you that there are a number of challenges waiting for the brave custom Topre keyboard maker.

The challenges involve both electrical engineering and software engineering.

It's many times harder than designing an MX Cherry board.

So the problem is not that it is a patented system. It's not about getting the switches either. Actually yes, it's a problem to get them, but it's NOTHING compared to what's left to do once you've got them!
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2014, 18:47:36 by spiceBar »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 12:52:58 »
There is a Topre clone floating around in China for your information. Not that no clones are available for the Topre due to patent. In fact there are some rumours going around that Topre and Cherry MX switches are probably going to have their patents expired and/or have already expired.

Exactly. Max 21 years. Both have been around longer than that. It's probably the investment in tooling that is high and nobody wants to waste money breaking into a market that's already locked up by the original companies.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:59:01 »
[most badass explanation on the subject of custom Topre ever]

This is exactly what I've been trying to say every time this comes up.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 18:07:53 »
patent system

topre patent has expired.

Spicebar's post is excellent!
A few things: Most capacitive controller chips (like the microchip one linked) aren't "fast" enough to deal with KB signals properly. Sensing a touch on a touchscreen requires a different set of features than sensing a capacitive PCB keypress.

There are a few ways to do it: the one I am most familiar with is: you send a voltage pulse down a row and sense what comes back. you'll get different outputs if there are one switch held down in the line or multiple. Then you need to flush out the capacitors and send a voltage pulse down the next one. We like to call these senses and strobes, though I don't know if they have an official name.

Offline illusion2086

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 00:32:56 »
TL;DR: custom Topre keyboard is so difficult to do that it's never going to happen
never say never:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105035.0

Offline Terrysko

• Optimizing, modifying, perfecting, my lifestyle!
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 05:33:16 »
Topre patent has expired.
Whether or not the patent has expired in the meantime is completely irrelevant in this context. In any case, the manufacturer has spared no expense or effort to develop an outstanding product that is so sophisticated and technically outstanding that almost nobody could easily produce a copy of it on a private level. So far, no one has managed to build a proven working copy of it, and that's a good thing. :p
But even if someone actually managed to do it, he would nothing gain from it, since the effort doesn't promise any profit and would therefore be a pure loss-making business.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2023, 05:42:16 by Terrysko »
"We approach manufacturing by applying unique ideas and technologies to satisfy real-world needs." - Topre Corporation

Wishlist: Topre Realforce 105U;

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 20:37:31 »
Looking at the avatars in this thread is a real walk down memory lane!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 20:55:47 »

After 9 years EC PCB's and custom keyboards are in the make. I first thought it was impossible but, how wrong we where. It's fun looking back at old topics like this. Hopefully you revisit the hobby to see how far it has come  :)
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 May 2023, 15:53:11 »
can you link the custom topre boards?
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Terrysko

• Optimizing, modifying, perfecting, my lifestyle!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 May 2023, 09:10:08 »
It's always funny to see how frustrated some hobbyists end up when they realize that all the effort and money was wasted. It's a good thing that not everything can be replicated so easily, especially with regard to Chinese markets. ;D
"We approach manufacturing by applying unique ideas and technologies to satisfy real-world needs." - Topre Corporation

Wishlist: Topre Realforce 105U;

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 May 2023, 06:14:21 »
can you link the custom topre boards?

You can join this guys discord. https://discord.gg/V3UQKghn

He is the one that is making replacement PCB's for existing Topre boards and upcoming custom keyboards with EC support. Deskey also has a custom EC HHKB. Its being sold on their store page.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline yusufzenith

• Zenith Clipping
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 May 2023, 10:02:21 »
Hi, Topre switches are a specific type of switch used in keyboards, known for their unique feel and characteristics. However, unlike other mechanical switches such as Cherry MX or Kailh switches, Topre switches have a different design and mounting mechanism. This difference in design makes it challenging to simply put Topre switches into any standard keyboard board designed for other switch types. Here are a few reasons why: 1. Mounting Compatibility 2. Electrical Compatibility 3. Form Factor and Keycap Compatibility.

Offline LavenderB

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 05:19:59 »
There's even something that claims to be a custom topre pcb on taobao now. Here's the link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a21n57.1.0.0.456331c0SnUY9J&id=710815731929
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s