Author Topic: BTC-5100c: A True HHKB Alternative (In-Depth Review and Teardown)  (Read 22089 times)

Offline mind_funeral

• savior of lost fortunes
I bought a BTC-5100c for $30 bucks on eBay.

The layout is odd but surprisingly easy to get used to.  Notice the tiny function row and tiny space bar.  All keys are MX mount except the function row (more of that below) which is really nice because a good many of the recent GMK sets will fit this board with the exception of the spacebar (and you'll have an off legend function and enter key).

Because I couldn't find this info anywhere, the odd shaped key caps are as follows:
KeyUnit Size
Space4.5u
Fn, Ctrl, Alt1.5u
Backspace1.5u
Enter1.75u
R Shift1.25u
Func Row0.853u

Note:
Quote from: Deskthority Wiki
4.5 units (85mm wide, 3 mounts, 34.671mm apart)
One center mount and two stabiliser mounts 1.82 units (34.671mm) left and right of the center.

For this space bar exist molds in the Signature Plastics SA-family.

The spacebar on the BTC fits the description (including stab spacing) above but is not SA profile.  Also, as of 8/25/16, Signature Plastics does not currently sell a 4.5u spacebar on www.pimpmykeyboard.com, only 4u and 4.75u.  I'm not sure if the Deskthority Wiki is incorrect, or SP has stopped production, or if the mold still exists (if it ever did).

And here is the keyset in the keyboard layout editor (Colors not true to life, I just picked some). BTC-5100c Layout

The sound seems louder than my Topre Type Heaven but that has been silenced for most of its life so I don't quite remember the original sound.  The BTC has less of a Topre "thock" and more of an "aquatic" sound.  That's the best way to describe the sound although it's a **** description.  I came across the video below a while back and based on the video alone, I knew I had to buy one.  The video is a very accurate representation of the sound.

One thing to note is that the DIN model superior to the PS2 model.  So if you're going to use it on USB you need: a DIN female to PS2 adapter (this is passive), and a PS2 to USB converter (this is active).

DIN model sounds better and I think it feels better.  Here's a video showing the difference in sound.

Finally, here's my tear down of the BTC-5100c. 

Back of case.  Flippers were scratchy, stiff and LOUD as **** but I put a drop of oil on each contact and it's silent now. Missing pad on the back but they're rock hard and not very grippy anyway.  I plan on making some to replace them even though I use the flippers.

Caps off.  I originally took the board apart to clean some of the grime out from under they keys and lube the sliders, though once I removed a few sliders, I realised they were already lubed which is pretty nice for a board of this age.  I ended up having to re-lube anyway though because I washed the top shell of the case with dish soap.  Weird stabs on the left shift.  It's like a sleeve that some pegs on the key go into.  Costar style stab on the spacebar (wire removed in this pic). MX stems on most keys.  Function row is j

L to R: Left shift, alpha, function row keycaps.  These caps are actually really decent.  Thicker than SP DCS for sure. And though I don't have a photo, the legends are actually a decent bold laser etch -- not very fuzzy at all.

Back of case removed.  Weird grounding cable to a metal layer (2 to 3 times thicker than tin foil).  Controller looks pretty clean and tidy.  It's cool that cord is detachable without splicing, although it's in the case so that doesn't do much good.  I have plans for a teensy/usb conversion for full programmability and I want to use the original thick, coiled cord if possible.

Foil and cord removed.  Unfortunately I could not find a build date anywhere :(

Nice domes, really nice PCB for the price of the keyboard.  I didn't remove the domes because they were semi-stuck to the PCB and I didn't wanna damage it or potentially ruin the sound/feel.  The left shift dome is an odd green.  It's also weird that there are 2 unused contacts on either side of shift dome.  Not sure what those were for as this is the only layout I've seen on this board.

This keyboard doesn't get much attention as of late and I think that's primarily because of the lack of information on it.  I hope what I've provided here prompts people to go get their hands on a serious $30 Topre alternative with MX keycap compatibility.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2016, 10:52:19 by mind_funeral »
Poker II.3 with Gateron Browns and SIP sockets,  Midnight/Twilight DCS
KBP V60 with Gateron Clears, EnjoyPBT Cyrillics
Topre Type Heaven

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: BTC-5100c: A True HHKB Alternative (In-Depth Review and Teardown)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 10:43:24 »
Nice write up :)

If it helps any I have seen this model, NIB, for as low as $10 on eBay  :eek:

BTC has some good rubber dome boards, I think with the 5100 the compact case helps it feel a bit "tighter" so to say. I had a full size version with these same domes, and it felt pretty dull. I would love a BTC board full of nothing but those single piece green domes. They're my favorite of the lot :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2016, 10:45:11 by jerue »

Offline mind_funeral

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 10:51:12 »
Nice write up :)

If it helps any I have seen this model, NIB, for as low as $10 on eBay  :eek:

BTC has some good rubber dome boards, I think with the 5100 the compact case helps it feel a bit "tighter" so to say. I had a full size version with these same domes, and it felt pretty dull. I would love a BTC board full of nothing but those single piece green domes. They're my favorite of the lot :)

$10 was a steal!  Recently someone was selling new old stock Siig Minitouches for around $80!

Was your fullsize board PS2 or 5 pin DIN?
Topre Type Heaven

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 10:55:22 »
Nice one, good write-up! :) The switches are BTC dome with slider which I've reviewed myself, I find them outstanding as far as rubber domes go, essentially the poor man's Topre, I think. If you fancy the idea of Topre but don't want to spend a million billion on a Topre board, getting one of these BTCs is definitely a great choice I think :) . The sound is very typical, but I think it's pretty good too :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 11:03:17 »
so seeing those black dots on the dome , this actuates at the bottom right ?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 11:08:24 »
so seeing those black dots on the dome , this actuates at the bottom right ?
They're a type of conductive pad that bridges the trace gap on the PCB.

Offline mind_funeral

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 11:09:06 »
Nice one, good write-up! :) The switches are BTC dome with slider which I've reviewed myself, I find them outstanding as far as rubber domes go, essentially the poor man's Topre, I think. If you fancy the idea of Topre but don't want to spend a million billion on a Topre board, getting one of these BTCs is definitely a great choice I think :) . The sound is very typical, but I think it's pretty good too :) .

Thanks for the blessing!  I love your videos!  I've seen most of your reviews and actually your channel specifically got me into vintage keyboards.  I had seen the rarest and most expensive IBMs and other popular ones gawked and drooled over everywhere and I wasn't that interested.  Only when I saw your heaps and heaps of lesser know and cheap keyboards is when I got interested, so thanks for making videos on the outcasts!  I'ms till trying to find a Dell Bigfoot for a decent price because of your video. 

Funny story, but I got my boss into mechanical keyboards and I sent him your "Quick Tips" playlist to educate him on all there is to know.  Anyway he comes back from the weekend and, in front of about 5 other engineers (who have no idea what we're talking about), says "I watched those videos by that 'deep throat guy'..."  Dead silence then a ton of laughter as he tried to explain that he meant to say "deep voice guy".
Topre Type Heaven

Offline emdude

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:05:08 »
Very nice write-up, thanks for sharing!

I have been thinking about getting one of these for a little while.  It seems that BTC domes w/ sliders offer one of the best rubber dome experiences!
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:39:44 »

Thanks for the blessing!  I love your videos!  I've seen most of your reviews and actually your channel specifically got me into vintage keyboards.  I had seen the rarest and most expensive IBMs and other popular ones gawked and drooled over everywhere and I wasn't that interested.  Only when I saw your heaps and heaps of lesser know and cheap keyboards is when I got interested, so thanks for making videos on the outcasts!  I'ms till trying to find a Dell Bigfoot for a decent price because of your video. 

Funny story, but I got my boss into mechanical keyboards and I sent him your "Quick Tips" playlist to educate him on all there is to know.  Anyway he comes back from the weekend and, in front of about 5 other engineers (who have no idea what we're talking about), says "I watched those videos by that 'deep throat guy'..."  Dead silence then a ton of laughter as he tried to explain that he meant to say "deep voice guy".
Oh dear xD . Don't tell me I'm going to be known as "that dep throat guy" xD .

I had to put the QKT series on halt for the moment as I'm very busy with my thesis, but hopefully I'll be able to pick them up again later.

Very nice write-up, thanks for sharing!

I have been thinking about getting one of these for a little while.  It seems that BTC domes w/ sliders offer one of the best rubber dome experiences!
Yes, I'd say the BTC DwS models and the Scorpius domes are easily the best ones I've tried so far. They really stand out from the rest.

Offline mind_funeral

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 13:01:01 »
I had to put the QKT series on halt for the moment as I'm very busy with my thesis, but hopefully I'll be able to pick them up again later.

Those are some of my favorite videos.  Super informative.  I go back and watch the ghosting/rollover video all the time because I can never remember how it works haha.
Topre Type Heaven

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 18:06:39 »

Those are some of my favorite videos.  Super informative.  I go back and watch the ghosting/rollover video all the time because I can never remember how it works haha.
I have loads more planned, but atm I don't have time to do both reviews and QKT videos. I'll also be doing requests for them once I'm done with the basic keyboard things :) .

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 09:56:44 »
I bought a BTC-5100c for $30 bucks on eBay.

I have one of these boards with the AT connector, I love it..

Usually you can find them new for pretty cheap on Ebay, not exactly a topre board, but still has plastic housings for the stems, so its kinda thocky, for the price, it pretty much owns any other rubber dome and most cherry boards imo.. 
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline Philister

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 15:52:54 »
Got a NIB AT version in the mail today (50€ shipped from eBay). Hit typing speeds of 85 and 86 WPM on the first two attempts (previous high score was 85), so am very, very pleased with this board, too. I hate 60% boards as they have too few keys / lack function keys, so this fits the bill very nicely. The spacebar is rather noisy, though, and the Fn keys's position is not my favourite. For what it's worth, mine has lovely pink sliders...  :thumb: Overall, not cheap but very special and well worth it. Just great to type on - really sort of a poor man's topre.

Thanks to OP for putting me onto this.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2017, 15:54:34 by Philister »

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 17:42:25 »
 Would an AT to PS2 be sufficient for using this? I am very curious to try it now. The buttons surely aren't electrostatic like Topre, are they? The ebay ones with the AT connectors claim they aren't  normal AT....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BTC-5100C-Mini-Keyboard-w-UNKNOWN-6-Pin-DIN-CONNECTOR-POS-/232173476598?hash=item360e9e1af6:g:Ud8AAOSwJ7RYUD-Q
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2017, 17:46:08 by happylacquer »

Offline Philister

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 09:40:48 »
I wouldn't go for those eBay ones as the connector is unusual and might not work with an adapter. Mine has a standard 5-pin DIN plug and works fine with a passive DIN to PS/2 adapter.

No, they're not capacitive but sound very much like topre switches and the key feel isn't too bad either.

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 15:37:24 »
Would an AT to PS2 be sufficient for using this? I am very curious to try it now. The buttons surely aren't electrostatic like Topre, are they? The ebay ones with the AT connectors claim they aren't  normal AT....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BTC-5100C-Mini-Keyboard-w-UNKNOWN-6-Pin-DIN-CONNECTOR-POS-/232173476598?hash=item360e9e1af6:g:Ud8AAOSwJ7RYUD-Q

I have one of those, and I can confirm that they don't work without desoldering an internal component.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 16:23:23 »

I have one of those, and I can confirm that they don't work without desoldering an internal component.

I am comfortable with an iron. Did you replace the cable only? Can a PS2 cable be soldered to the pcb directly...?

Offline y11971alex

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 18:07:44 »

I am comfortable with an iron. Did you replace the cable only? Can a PS2 cable be soldered to the pcb directly...?

Relevant information here: https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/btc-5100c-t15094.html
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:13:58 »

Relevant information here: https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/btc-5100c-t15094.html

Fully sick. I guess i should reg on DT too!
I will do this and wire up my own PS2 cable to it. Absolutely killer man, ordering one of the 6 pin weirdos right now :)

So i guess two of those 6 pins go nowhere?

Offline y11971alex

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:19:32 »

I will do this and wire up my own PS2 cable to it. Absolutely killer man, ordering one of the 6 pin weirdos right now :)

I think the AT protocol only uses 4 pins and a reset line, which was not used.  It became an issue with certain XT/AT converters that didn't have the reset line wired up for "almost XT" keyboards that used it.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:25:46 »

I think the AT protocol only uses 4 pins and a reset line, which was not used.  It became an issue with certain XT/AT converters that didn't have the reset line wired up for "almost XT" keyboards that used it.
Cool! I'm about  to order my BTC board then. Excited for it.

Offline RollinLower

• watercooled everything!
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 01:01:01 »
Hello,

teribly sorry to revive a dead topic, but i have a question on the BTC 5100C.
I have been using one as my daily driver for a long time now, and i really got a liking for the layout. I also recently got a hold of loads of Cherry MX Red switches.
how feasible would it be to convert this thing to a mech. would i need to make a custom plate and everything?

thanks for any replies!
AMD Threadripper 1900X ~ Asrock X399M Taichi ~ 16GB (2x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition ~ Nvidia Titan X Pascal ~ about 1.5TB combined SSDs ~ EVGA Supernova 850 G2 ~ Full Custom waterloop ~ InWin 301

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 01:05:08 »
Hello,

I have been using one as my daily driver for a long time now, and i really got a liking for the layout. I also recently got a hold of loads of Cherry MX Red switches.
how feasible would it be to convert this thing to a mech. would i need to make a custom plate and everything?

thanks for any replies!

it's not worth the effort to convert it into a modern board

you'd need to make a new PCB and plate, which is a ton of work

and to get singles done, it's generally sort of expensive
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline RollinLower

• watercooled everything!
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 06:20:34 »
Hello,

thanks for any replies!

it's not worth the effort to convert it into a modern board

you'd need to make a new PCB and plate, which is a ton of work

and to get singles done, it's generally sort of expensive

thanks for the reply! what about using a matrix and a microcontroller? in theory i would only need to make a good plate for the switches to hold on to, and think of a way to mount that plate onto the old frame.
i have access to a CNC milling machine, so maybe something on there? i also have access to a CNC plasma cutter, tough that isn't nearly as precise.
AMD Threadripper 1900X ~ Asrock X399M Taichi ~ 16GB (2x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition ~ Nvidia Titan X Pascal ~ about 1.5TB combined SSDs ~ EVGA Supernova 850 G2 ~ Full Custom waterloop ~ InWin 301

Offline bloos

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 00:42:58 »
Can anyone say if these switches feel closer to a 55g topre or 45g?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 02:37:19 »
Can anyone say if these switches feel closer to a 55g topre or 45g?
More like 55 g, although they're considerably more tactile than either actually.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 06:26:52 »
Correction: space is (quite visibly) 5 units. Additionally, the PCB date is week 48, 1997.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline bloos

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 17:14:09 »
Anyone know if the 5100C's sliders will fit a topre board's chasis and on top of the domes properly?

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 23:12:44 »
I might get one of these for the hell of it

Offline ChimairaSpawn

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 09:36:36 »
It's also weird that there are 2 unused contacts on either side of shift dome.  Not sure what those were for as this is the only layout I've seen on this board.

I have an azerty layout btc 5100c EC that has a split left shift.

Offline ag36

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 18:03:44 »
Mine seems to become more tactile after some uses(NIB), I like it better now. Felt mushy when it was new.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1