Author Topic: Clean Keyboard Or Buy New One  (Read 1141 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Clean Keyboard Or Buy New One
« on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 12:53:14 »
My work board is looking kinda gross, the board is definitely in need of a deep clean.

More

I keep it covered at night but it's exposed for ~11hrs during the day while I use it.

I figure to clean it properly I need to remove all the keycaps and separate the case to wash them appropriately.

But every time this happens instead of cleaning my keyboard I start looking for a new one.

What I've come to realize is subconsciously I've convinced myself it's easier for me to just buy another keyboard than clean to the one I've been using.

I've got another FC980M preordered...coming soonish I hope.

So who else has faced this dilemma?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Clean Keyboard Or Buy New One
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:32:39 »
Definitely clean it. All you have to do is pop off all the caps and wash them, and vacuum out the crud, and put the caps back on. It's a lot easier than going through the hassle of selling it, and if you or your company is thinking of trashing it, please don't. We (societally) are already producing way too much e-waste from all of the disposable rubber dome keyboards.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:40:23 »
The real trick is to stay ahead of the curve and buy a new board before your current one even gets dirty.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:51:21 »
Most of that dust should come off with a soft brush and a vacuum. You don’t want it too clean; they don’t work as well that way.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 20:54:05 »
I cleaned the keyboard and forgot about the desk. Boy did I get taken off guard!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94266.0
Oh the things we do!