Author Topic: I made a mechanical gaming keypad  (Read 17730 times)

Offline postanthony3000

I made a mechanical gaming keypad
« on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 23:43:20 »
https://github.com/Ayehavgunne/pypad

I made a replacement for my Razer Tartarus V2. It is a gaming focused Keypad with 21 buttons, a scroll wheel and an analog joystick.

I originally used a PyBoard but had to switch to a Teensy after finding some of the PyBoard's limitations. I also couldn't get MicroPython working well on the Teensy so I had to stick with Teensyduino :(

Still, I got it working and I wrote some monitoring software in Python that runs in Windows and sends new profiles to the Teensy when different game processes are found. I am working on the web interface now to make it easy to change out mappings for different games. Full details are on the github page.

Offline fpazos

Re: I made a mechanical gaming keypad
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 01:25:43 »
That's really nice. It has a lot of work, I like to see another choc lover.

You should be able to use it with QMK, but that's something you can try later.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 01:27:56 by fpazos »

Offline nevin

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:10:38 »
very nice. great to see our type of programability on this type of gaming pad. the client running on the pc is a great idea/implementation!
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline postanthony3000

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 00:08:59 »
Thanks! It has been quite a fun project.

I did take a look at QMK but as of now it doesn't support a Joystick HID. Looks like it will soon though. There has been a PR in the works in recent months that will add Joystick/gamepad functionality.

The other thing is that I wanted to be able to remap the keys on the fly and using QMK would require me to reflash the board to swap mappings. I tend to fiddle with key settings as I am playing a game until I settle on something that works well so I wanted to be able to change keys immediately while playing.

I probably will use QMK at some point whenever I get around to building a full custom keyboard. No idea when I'll get around to that though.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 00:51:47 »
These are a couple of good reasons.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Lostdotfish

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 15:47:25 »
I've been heading off down quite the rabbit hole with this one...

Offline Lostdotfish

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 14:11:35 »
Further down the rabbit hole...

I'll probably move to my own post after I build this up a little more.  But, it's working.  QMK running on RP2040 stamp.  I have also rebuilt the thumb PCB dpad but need to build that up and sort out the firmware for it.

Offline Lostdotfish

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 February 2024, 11:22:43 »
Just in case anyone is interested in my QMK take on this;

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=122471.0

Offline MizterWizter

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 20:50:05 »
Hi! I was wondering if your pcb design was available somewhere? I would like to try this out on my Tartarus v2 if possible.