Author Topic: Flexible keyboard covers/spill guards, i. e., KeySkin, FlexShield, keyboard seal  (Read 5531 times)

Offline turkey

This thread is about flexible keyboard covers — the kind that you can continue to type on even after you have fitted it to the keyboard. They are also known as keyboard spill guards or keyboard seals, as well as by proprietary-sounding names like KeySkin and FlexShield. These covers are custom-fit to each model of keyboard and provide keyboard users with the following benefits:-

• Prevents keytop wear — doesn't matter whether you have pad-printed, lasered or coated keys, they will all be protected by the flexible plastic layer on top;
  • Prevents dust intrusion — dust and debris stays on top of the flexible plastic layer instead of falling into the gaps in-between the keys;
  • Protects against spills — no need to worry about food and drink getting into the keyboard, nor about using the keyboard with wet hands;
  • Quiets typing — if you are using a mechanical keyboard, it will muffle a little bit of the metallic ping that you get when a key is released and returns to the ready position.

The problem with such covers, of course, is that they are custom-fit to each model of keyboard and thus trying to acquire one that exactly matches your keyboard is a frustrating experience at the very least. My understanding is that this sort of product used to be rather prevalent in the old days when rubber dome keyboards were just starting to take over from mechanical keyboards, i. e., the mid-80s. From that time onwards, it wouldn't have made much commercial sense for a company to fork out the tooling and setup costs to produce a flexible keyboard cover for a particular keyboard model and sell them for around $10 per piece, especially if the keyboard that it is supposed to protect would cost around the same price (this would effectively double the price of the keyboard for the consumer, which would be a big turn-off). The story would be different if, say, a $10 cover was used to protect a $100 or $150 keyboard.

What does the rest of GeekHack.ORG think about the use of flexible keyboard covers? Where would you go if you wanted to get one for your favourite keyboard?

Offline Brodie337

I wouldn't. I can't stand the effect that they have on the feel of the keys.

Offline HaveANiceDay

It's like having protected sex with your wife. What's the point?
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline Brummell

They're horrid things.  

That said, I have them on some machines in the production areas at work to keep the massive amounts of crud our processes generate out of them, but I'd certainly never advocate using them in the offices or anywhere it wasn't absolutely necessary.
Unicomp Space Saver | Filco Majestouch Blue | IBM Model M | Filco Majestouch Brown | Realforce 86UB | Leopold Blue | HHKB Pro 2

Offline pitashen

Getting a cover somewhat defeats the whole reason of getting a mechanical keyboard as the cover will damp out of those crisp feelings pressing the keys.  

I would simply avoid setting my drink beside my keyboard and eat carefully around it. The most I would go for is a dust proof cover when I am done using it for the day.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline turkey

UniComp Keyboard Kondoms
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 11:53:43 »
Quote from: ripster;324264
Unicomp sells Keyboard Kondoms for $10.

I just go by the Rule Of Geekhack.

NO CHEEEEETTTTOOOOOOSSSS!
Show Image

Because you don't want to end up like the Official OCN Keyboard.  NSFW Link.

Thanks for that! I should have looked there first when I was trying to find a Keyboard Kondom for my EnduraPro. Now if I can just find a Keyboard Kondom for my FILCO Majestouch FKBN104MC/EB, I think I'd be set!

Offline BucklingSpring

Quote from: ripster;325046
This also works.

Focus 2001 with built in Noodle Cover

Nice! I'd actually go for one of those... Not the noodle, but the keyboard.

I once ordered a keyboard skin for couples of my keyboards. They were all listed as "in stock". After I clicked purchase, I received an email letting me know that most of my order was "in development". These mother f-beep-ers were waiting for enough orders to actually make these skins. Allowing orders was their way to do a market survey.

I was so p!ssed. The only one I got was for my Unicomp and it didn't even fit right. The keys were ok but the whole skin didn't sit properly on the keyboard. I had to cut the edges to allow it to sit flat on the frame. As mentionned "horrid" is a good choice of word. I still use it as a dust cover. Removing it each time I use this Unicomp.

The story doesn't end there. I asked for a refund... Never got it. Then couples of times per month I was receiving spam from those a-holes. Countless times I clicked the so called "unsubscribe" link but they kept coming.

One Sunday, I was bored and they sent me their last one. I wrote a little script and sent 200 000 unsubscribe email requests to their server. Monday afternoon, when I got back from work, I had a voicemail from my ISP. They were nice enought to tell me they had deactivated my Internet service because they thought my computer was infected by some kind of spam zombie.

I called back and explained the situation to the ISP tech. He laughed, reactivated my account and said next time to call them first instead of playing the vigilante.

I'm still waiting for my refund but I never got a single spam from those idiots after my 200 000 friendly reminders.

STAY AWAY FROM KEYBOARD SKINS... THEY ARE EVIL.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2011, 12:37:18 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Uh, that's what chargebacks are for.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
I bought keyboard skins once... They were for a bio-tech lab I did work for.  Pretty much the only excuse for these nasty things.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline BucklingSpring

Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;325096
Uh, that's what chargebacks are for.

You are absolutely right. It didn't dispute the charges. My lazy bad.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline turkey

Keyboard Kondom for DECK 82-Key Small Form Factor Keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 07:53:51 »
Quote from: ripster;325046
This also works.

Focus 2001 with built in Noodle Cover
Show Image

Heh, that's no good — you can't type on that while the cover is down! What I'd like is something that's an exact fit, even into the recesses between the keys.

While trying to find a Keyboard Kondom for my DECK Legend keyboard, I found one for the DECK 82-Key Small Form Factor keyboard instead (and did not manage to find one for the DECK Legend). Details are as follows:-

• Company: CompuCover, Inc.
  • Item: KeySkin® Keyboard Cover
  • Part Number: 746E82
  • Cost: USD 13·95

Please note that the fax number for CompuCover, Inc. is +1 (850) 892-1077. All of the other numbers designated as fax numbers on their website are hopelessly out-of-date.

Offline turkey

Keyboard Kondom for DECK 105-Key Legend Keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 14:12:32 »
I am pleased to report that I have been successful in my search for a Keyboard Kondom for my DECK Legend keyboard. Details are as follows:-
  • Company: Fentek Industries, Inc.
  • Item: Custom Fit Membrane Shield Keyboard Cover
  • Part Number: KBSDL105 – 570G105
  • Cost: USD 14·50

Offline turkey

Keyboard Kondom for UNICOMP 104-Key Ultra Classic UB40P4A Keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 15:02:58 »
I am pleased to report that I have been successful in my search for a Keyboard Kondom for my UNICOMP Ultra Classic UB40P4A (pre July-2013) keyboard. Details are as follows:-
  • Company: Fentek Industries, Inc.
  • Item: Keyboard Protector Seal
  • Part Number: 38G104
  • Cost: USD 14·50

Picture of the mould that will be used to make this Keyboard Kondom:-
266965-0