Author Topic: Scorpius M10 keyboard  (Read 5787 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Scorpius M10 keyboard
« on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 11:25:33 »
In this thread xsphat brought the Scorpius M10 keyboard to our attention.  

Well, according to this link, the M10 uses the Cherry mechanical keyswitches.

Now that I think about it, I believe I remember reading somewhere that the Das Keyboard 2 was often said to be a blank version of the M10...but I did not know what the "M10" was at the time.  :)  Now that I've been made aware of the M10's existence, I can not believe anyone would waste their money on a Das Keyboard 2.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Scorpius M10 keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 12:58:01 »
There is one cool thing about the Das though: they have different pressure switches for different fingers. This is a cool thought, but everybody types differently, and I wonder if a typist would even notice it.

Offline iMav

Scorpius M10 keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 13:08:02 »
Quote from: xsphat
There is one cool thing about the Das though: they have different pressure switches for different fingers. This is a cool thought, but everybody types differently, and I wonder if a typist would even notice it.

That's the original Das Keyboard, specs are here.  The key switches are "weighted", but from reviews I've read, this keyboard is mushy.

The Das Keyboard 2 uses the Cherry keyswitches just like the M10.  No mention of different pressure switches in its specs.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Scorpius M10 keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 14:36:16 »
I just went to my college to finalize the last few things before this tern starts and I used the worst keyboard I've seen. I didn't check the brand or anything because if I looked at it I would have puked. The keys were the most mushy I've felt with a slight side-to-side motion throughout the strokes, and at the bottom, I was greeted by a complete bottoming out. The keystroke was registered about halfway through the rebound. Perfect for a Windows user.

Offline iMav

Scorpius M10 keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 September 2007, 22:36:48 »
Just for everyone's information, Barry Little (of Barry's Rigs and Reviews) just confirmed for me that the Scorpius M10 keyboard uses the BLUE Cherry keyswitches.  These are the tactile keyswitches...the ones that I think would be the most preferable for the clickey lovers.

Offline iMav

Scorpius M10 keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 September 2007, 17:50:11 »
I guess you could consider this a testament to the M10's "clickiness"...Clicky Keyboards now sells them for $60 each (see here).

However, in true clickykeyboard fashion, they are about $10 more expensive then you can find them elsewhere.  Both X-treme Geek and CyberGuys have them for $49.99.

I have to say that I am sold on the blue-stemmed Cherry keyswitches.  If you need/want a full-sized keyboard...I believe this is one of the best options out there.

Scorpius M10 keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 September 2007, 20:36:49 »
The original Das Keyboard is just a rebranded Keytronic keyboard.  It's a membrane keyboard with "ergo force" i.e. differently weighted keys.  BTW, I wonder how long these brand-only companies will survive. The ones that just slap their own sticker on an OEM product and charge a 50% premium.

Scorpius M10 keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 September 2007, 00:30:14 »
The ergogeek ebay store has the M10 for $39.95.

Offline iMav

Scorpius M10 keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 September 2007, 03:42:37 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
The ergogeek ebay store has the M10 for $39.95.

nice.