Author Topic: [IC] GMK Shoko 2nd Style「Group Buy Live Now」  (Read 138994 times)

Offline tominabox1

Re: [IC] GMK Shoko 2nd Style
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 13:57:31 »
Wait wait wait woah woah.

The 40s kit doesn't include the MOST STANDARD mini Spacebars i.e. 225 and 275 which are needed for almost every board out there.

This means I would have to buy the $35 bars kit in addition to the $40 obscure kit... What gives?
Op came to 40s disco and we got them squared away for a 40s kit. Just needs to update graphics have no fear!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 22:15:19 »
I will buy as soon as the issues with kono are sorted out

Offline L8T

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 22:42:21 »
RIP i was expecting the GB to be around august. This is too early for my broke ass, lets hope things stabilize for me before this GB ends.

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 22:51:34 »
I will buy as soon as the issues with kono are sorted out
same
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline nettik

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 00:39:37 »
+1 to text mods, I prefer them more than icon mods.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 00:45:47 »
Any update from kono yet?

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 12:29:11 »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 16:14:18 »

I'd get to re-open my r/mechgroupbuys thread too.

Perhaps we should write Kono as customers. If they know that people are holding out on giving them money because of a lack of transparency, perhaps theyll make it right a lot quicker than if RaySasQuach writes. Kingnestea took Camping R2 to novelkeys when R1 was on Kono. Just sayin'.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 16:36:38 »

I'd get to re-open my r/mechgroupbuys thread too.

Perhaps we should write Kono as customers. If they know that people are holding out on giving them money because of a lack of transparency, perhaps theyll make it right a lot quicker than if RaySasQuach writes. Kingnestea took Camping R2 to novelkeys when R1 was on Kono. Just sayin'.

So the question now is whether Kono is running this on their own, or with the author?
Does Kono own the colorway?

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 17:33:06 »
So the question now is whether Kono is running this on their own, or with the author?

Unclear. Kono ran Nines again as an "R1.5" and the Salvun artisan without Emir's involvement but he may have given him the ok. Kono also offered a poll to rerun a set last fall and Camping was a choice, and this was during KingNestea's IC to run Camping on Novelkeys.

They may know they'd sell more with RaySasQuach by running an R2, but running R1.5 now brings in money to stay in business while they can't ship anything and quotes and communication with GMK is limited. If Kono wrote and said the previous sentence, honestly, I might buy a set. Till then I'd rather support RaySasQuach's vision for R2.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 18:11:15 »

Unclear. Kono ran Nines again as an "R1.5" and the Salvun artisan without Emir's involvement but he may have given him the ok. Kono also offered a poll to rerun a set last fall and Camping was a choice, and this was during KingNestea's IC to run Camping on Novelkeys.

They may know they'd sell more with RaySasQuach by running an R2, but running R1.5 now brings in money to stay in business while they can't ship anything and quotes and communication with GMK is limited. If Kono wrote and said the previous sentence, honestly, I might buy a set. Till then I'd rather support RaySasQuach's vision for R2.

Not sure what R1.5 means actually, if it is ready-to-ship stock I will be placing orders right away.... but it seems the GB will run for 2 months and the production lead time is like another 6 months.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 18:42:12 »
I think we should just leave everything to speculation right now til there's a confirmed answer from both the runner and the vendor.

As far as I'm concerned the runner is unsure of what is going on himself, which leads me to believe that Kono is on their own agenda.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 16:45:42 »
I think we should just leave everything to speculation right now til there's a confirmed answer from both the runner and the vendor.

As far as I'm concerned the runner is unsure of what is going on himself, which leads me to believe that Kono is on their own agenda.

Great idea. Really hope it will be sorted out one way or another

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 17:27:12 »

Kono spoke to me about nines before running it, and a misunderstanding led to kono/salvun offering the exclusive artisan which I said would only be made 10 of.

This set is a weird one, let's wait for clarification. Either way, I'm in again.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 17:53:32 »

Kono spoke to me about nines before running it, and a misunderstanding led to kono/salvun offering the exclusive artisan which I said would only be made 10 of.

This set is a weird one, let's wait for clarification. Either way, I'm in again.

Thanks for the information and background story on the Nines rerun, Emir.

Offline FireLock

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 12:36:51 »
Any slight chance for a Norde kit?

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline vocal118

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 23:25:28 »
zf,please

Offline heliar_mk

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 23:27:34 »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 23:55:52 »
If vendor options are still open, I will vote for novelkeys, please.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 01:36:17 »
What's wrong with Kono?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:21:22 »
What's wrong with Kono?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
Try reading this thread

Offline twistitup

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:32:16 »
I contacted Kono support and they said that their base kit won't have the light blue accent Esc.

Offline KrasH

• Instagram Profile
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 17:18:17 »
I contacted Kono support and they said that their base kit won't have the light blue accent Esc.
I hope it's not them who decide... I'm in for a set, have the keyboard and artisan ready (and wallet).

Offline SlurmsMacKenzie

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 18:41:34 »

Thanks for letting us know.  That means there is literally no R1 Esc accent key available, only R2 and R3?  I'm gonna cancel my order until this gets sorted.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 19:12:09 »

So is kono just doing a rerun of R1?  Did they elaborate at all?

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 19:15:56 »
i don't think we should be buying what's on kono right now. OP told me that nothing has been signed with kono, so they shouldn't be running it without OP's permission. apparently something similar happened with gmk ursa and nathan (designer of ursa)

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 21:46:35 »
like this set, wont buy anything from kono. what a **** vendor.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 22:06:04 »
i don't think we should be buying what's on kono right now. OP told me that nothing has been signed with kono, so they shouldn't be running it without OP's permission. apparently something similar happened with gmk ursa and nathan (designer of ursa)

Woah what?  I missed that!  I am part of the ursa GB as well.

Offline twistitup

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 22:06:51 »
Here's the email thread between me and Kono support. I redacted any personal information. I'm sharing this purely to clear confusion and give the right expectations to potential buyers.

Date: Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: GMK Shoko Hiragana Kit
To: <redacted>

The only quote for Shoko with GMK is the one we requested ourselves, which is based on the kit images on the page.
I've cancelled your order.

-<redacted>

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 1:29 AM, <redacted> wrote via Mail:

In RaySasQuach's Geekhack IC post, he says that the base kit is supposed to have the light blue accent Esc, and that the render not having it was a mistake.

See https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105590.msg2886104#msg2886104

As for the blue accented Esc that everyone keeps asking about, I just noticed that it's not accented in the render, and I'm not entirely sure why since what I have on my KLE was blue when I pulled it up just now. It definitely will be part of the final kit.

I could deal with not having the hiragana kit, but not having the light blue accent Esc in the base kit is a dealbreaker, especially since the designer of the set didn't design it that way.
Since it looks like the GMK Shoko you are offering is not the same as the one RaySasQuach designed and it won't have the light blue accent Esc in the base kit, please cancel my order.

Thank you,
<redacted>

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:29 PM, <redacted> <support@kono.store> wrote via Mail:

The kits are as they're shown on the page, the base kit comes with a white accent Esc.
The light blue accent Esc is in the Obscure kit.
You can see the kits at the end of the gallery or the bottom of the description.

-<redacted>

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:21 PM, <redacted> wrote via Mail:

I see. One more question, will the base kit have an accent Esc? Some of the product page pictures show it and some don't.

Thanks,
<redacted>

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 11:00 PM, <redacted> <support@kono.store> wrote via Mail:

Hello <redacted>,

Unfortunately, based on previously poor sales of hiragana kits, we decided against including the hiragana kit for this run.
It would have impacted the quote from GMK and pricing on some of the other kits as well.
We will attempt to have more runs in the future if it's viable, so with enough demand we could potentially include the hiragana kit with the third run.
We also have some other sets with hiragana kits coming up, so keep your eyes out for those if you're interested.

Let me know if you need anything else,
<redacted>

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 7:11 PM, <redacted> wrote via Mail:

Hi,

I placed order #<redacted> but then I realized that there is supposed to be a hiragana kit being made. Why was it not available for ordering? If it is available, could you please add it to my order?

Thank you,
<redacted>

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 22:10:40 »
Thanks for posting. Seems like kono is just doing kono things i guess. not a fan of what they are pulling here.

Offline pcire

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 22:30:43 »
Why Kono? Why?

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 22:40:08 »
Why Kono? Why?

you can proily guess why.

Offline KKoNaM

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 23:31:54 »

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 23:35:02 »
Well, money while they can't ship anything they sell due to distribution issues.

If they said "hey were trying to keep the lights on, let's get a quote for this GB pronto", I'd totally have bought by now.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 02:17:16 »
So they’re assuming there’s no interest for hiragana but also assuming that their future sets will have interest and are going to be offering it? Lmfaoooo

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 02:43:23 »
Well sorry for the lack of updates, and quite frankly there still isn't much to update, but I figured I'd just post what little has changed. I decided to contact GMK about the issue and they haven't gotten back to me yet, maybe someone knows another way to contact them outside of email which may be more effective. As for Kono, I'd rather not make any unnecessary speculations about it. And I'd rather not blindly vendor bash if possible, not that I've seen too much of that I think. Yes I'm very unhappy with Kono running the set without my consent and not even having all the kits there. But I'd rather keep it civil here and only bring up constructive criticism about the subject at hand. And also just for reference, Kono did pay for the MacSurfy renders back in November before I even chose the vendor, so they have done good things too. Obviously to me them paying for the renders does not make up for them choosing to launch kits that I consider incomplete as well as completely missing a kit from their group buy.

To make it clear here's how things went from my perspective, Kono ran the popularity poll back in October if I remember correctly, Shoko won. I got contacted by Kono if I was interested in rerunning the set and I said I was interested. I got notified that Kono would be paying MacSurfy for the renders and I handed him the KLE via Google Drive on the kits I wanted rendered as well as the board. I thanked Kono for paying for the renders. I never got a message back from Kono or MacSurfy afterwards, as you can see I'm not blameless either I could've kept in contact with them or MacSurfy about the status of the renders. Now MacSurfy gave the renders to Kono since they are the client, but he did assume that I would also receive the renders because I am the designer. I launched the IC, hoping to get everybody's feedback on the kits and I got great feedback in my opinion. The group buy launched a day after or something on Kono without me knowing. I contacted Kono about the situation and requesting to delay the set and they disagreed. This is my side of the story, and while I don't think there's more to it, maybe there is and I hope this may clear some things up even if it may not be much.

To make it clear though, I'm not gonna endorse the group buy on Kono, it's not my vision, so I can not endorse it.
However I will not judge you if you decide to join since I understand people are excited about the set.

Thanks for your patience everyone, and to answer a few quotes:

Kono is running this on their own essentially, I never sold the rights to the colorway to Kono. Kono never offered to buy the rights to the set and I actually never signed a single document with them, but for what it's worth there might have been something between GMK and Kono where I never got notified. So does Kono own the colorway? I don't think so, but is it possible? I wouldn't say it's impossible.

The 40s kit doesn't include the MOST STANDARD mini Spacebars i.e. 225 and 275 which are needed for almost every board out there.

This means I would have to buy the $35 bars kit in addition to the $40 obscure kit... What gives?
Op came to 40s disco and we got them squared away for a 40s kit. Just needs to update graphics have no fear!
I did go to the 40% Discord and I had a decent kit in hand now, but Kono was unwilling to change the kits from when I talked to them last time. I'll just put the proposed changes here in this collapsable.
More

Yeah Kono said the kits are final unfortunately, really sorry about it.

I guess they're just going off the initial MacSurfy renders and not the KLE, well minus the mono Hiragana kit. So they're running R1.5, or I'll just call it GMK Shoko Substream to fit the naming scheme...

Well I'll try to figure out the legality of the ownership of the colorway first before I can consider other vendor options. Hopefully GMK contacts me back soon.

Offline byoliven

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 02:54:48 »
Well sorry for the lack of updates, and quite frankly there still isn't much to update, but I figured I'd just post what little has changed. I decided to contact GMK about the issue and they haven't gotten back to me yet, maybe someone knows another way to contact them outside of email which may be more effective. As for Kono, I'd rather not make any unnecessary speculations about it. And I'd rather not blindly vendor bash if possible, not that I've seen too much of that I think. Yes I'm very unhappy with Kono running the set without my consent and not even having all the kits there. But I'd rather keep it civil here and only bring up constructive criticism about the subject at hand. And also just for reference, Kono did pay for the MacSurfy renders back in November before I even chose the vendor, so they have done good things too. Obviously to me them paying for the renders does not make up for them choosing to launch kits that I consider incomplete as well as completely missing a kit from their group buy.

To make it clear here's how things went from my perspective, Kono ran the popularity poll back in October if I remember correctly, Shoko won. I got contacted by Kono if I was interested in rerunning the set and I said I was interested. I got notified that Kono would be paying MacSurfy for the renders and I handed him the KLE via Google Drive on the kits I wanted rendered as well as the board. I thanked Kono for paying for the renders. I never got a message back from Kono or MacSurfy afterwards, as you can see I'm not blameless either I could've kept in contact with them or MacSurfy about the status of the renders. Now MacSurfy gave the renders to Kono since they are the client, but he did assume that I would also receive the renders because I am the designer. I launched the IC, hoping to get everybody's feedback on the kits and I got great feedback in my opinion. The group buy launched a day after or something on Kono without me knowing. I contacted Kono about the situation and requesting to delay the set and they disagreed. This is my side of the story, and while I don't think there's more to it, maybe there is and I hope this may clear some things up even if it may not be much.

To make it clear though, I'm not gonna endorse the group buy on Kono, it's not my vision, so I can not endorse it.
However I will not judge you if you decide to join since I understand people are excited about the set.

Thanks for your patience everyone, and to answer a few quotes:

Kono is running this on their own essentially, I never sold the rights to the colorway to Kono. Kono never offered to buy the rights to the set and I actually never signed a single document with them, but for what it's worth there might have been something between GMK and Kono where I never got notified. So does Kono own the colorway? I don't think so, but is it possible? I wouldn't say it's impossible.

I did go to the 40% Discord and I had a decent kit in hand now, but Kono was unwilling to change the kits from when I talked to them last time. I'll just put the proposed changes here in this collapsable.
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah Kono said the kits are final unfortunately, really sorry about it.

I guess they're just going off the initial MacSurfy renders and not the KLE, well minus the mono Hiragana kit. So they're running R1.5, or I'll just call it GMK Shoko Substream to fit the naming scheme...

Well I'll try to figure out the legality of the ownership of the colorway first before I can consider other vendor options. Hopefully GMK contacts me back soon.
Thx so much for your update and I will not consider buying from Kono because of those unsatisfied keys and their approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 04:05:34 »

I really appreciate the update!  Man though... Sorry you're caught up in this mess.  Kono doing some questionable stuff lately, it seems.

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 04:38:51 »
amazed by the renders. keep working on man
Future Art Community.

Offline blank++

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 05:45:17 »
Thought I'd have to wait longer for the announcement!

Thanks for the update; will wait for your official R2. More time to save up lol.

Another request for Novelties. Also, RAMA Artisans pls?

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 06:50:09 »
I'll wait for you to run the set on your terms before I buy.

Offline gt1989

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 07:57:45 »
Yeah, I'll also be waiting until an official round 2 of this set.

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 08:15:00 »
I'm going to hang fire until the official R2.

Offline pcire

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 09:37:15 »
Thanks for the update man!
I’ll wait for the proper R2

Offline daniwa

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:13:07 »

Yeah, so I've gone ahead and cancelled my order. Kono's behaviour really doesn't need to be rewarded.

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:36:49 »
I’ll be waiting for an official r2 as well. Kono is sus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 16:24:52 »
Will be waiting for author's updates and hold off buying from Kono.
I hope the situation will be sorted out soon.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 16:50:03 »
Refunded my order, gonna wait for the designer to run this.
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 17:58:05 »
well this is a new one
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 19:12:00 »
This reminds me of a thing that happened a few years ago between a team of "mostly" engineers and another company who financed some stuff...