Author Topic: [IC] GMK Ashes [2/25 Basalt Kit Added Back] (GB starts March 2nd)  (Read 131532 times)

Offline Minterly

Re: [IC] GMK Ashes
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:21:55 »
hey I like this

Offline ludd3

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:44:15 »
reminds me of gmk-olivia  ;D

Offline Tyson

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:53:17 »
Great job on the IC presentation. Would love to pick up a base set!

Thanks! I'm working on looking into different accent keys. The white just doesn't fit in as much as I thought it did. Looking into other possibilities right now. :)

Offline Tyson

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 13:02:54 »
hey I like this

Thanks! I'm a huge fan of SA Bliss! Can't wait to see KAM Eternal! Looks like it'll be another great set!

Offline Techichi

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 13:12:06 »
I would be in on this one. I haven't even been registered a month and I have 3 sets I want to buy. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Offline rowie

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 13:13:56 »
Love it so far! Filled the IC form. Watching this thread to see further developments.

Offline break

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 16:19:20 »
I would be in on this one. I haven't even been registered a month and I have 3 sets I want to buy. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Good luck - I joined in June and it only gets better. :D

Offline Tyson

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 19:23:55 »
Working on getting more renders of other kits! More specifically a Spacebar kit and a 40s kit! I'll post them when they are up!

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 04:30:24 »
I hate it. Give me a set.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 12:37:14 »
I've been working with my render artist MetallicCharles on making more renders based on feedback from the messages, my first task is finding another color to replace the WS1 accent, I am going to give WS2 a shot to see how that looks and feels, and if that doesn't work we will work on a different color. As for the Red/Orange color people are telling me to add, I'd love to, but I think that would take away from the minimalist look of the set. Everyone also seems to love the Ghost kit! Shoutout to Mcnos for giving me the idea! That is definitely going to be one of the kits for the GB! Speaking of GB, we have a vendor! I spoke with OneFiveNine of Project Keyboards about possibly running the set and it looks like he is going to run the set for me in Q1 2020! Currently I am hard at work, balancing work, Ceraklack, and Ashes along with the Austin meetup coming up on the 28th, but I will be more focused on this keyset to make sure that everything turns out perfectly! I am also looking into making the base kit mods all Icon mods, similar to the mods used in Dixiemech's GMK 8008 Modern Kit. More renders will be coming out and replacing the current ones for the kits. Be on the look out for all of that and hope everyone has a great day!

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 13:32:37 »
This is defo one of the nicer sets in the recent flood of GMKs. Would be in for this one.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 13:50:25 »
This is defo one of the nicer sets in the recent flood of GMKs. Would be in for this one.

Thanks! Be on the look out for it Q1 2020!

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 14:37:07 »
Are you removing Numpad from base kit?
Your op says it would be included but your base render seems to be for 60s.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Tyson

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 16:38:52 »
Are you removing Numpad from base kit?
Your op says it would be included but your base render seems to be for 60s.

Still working on figuring that out. Kits are not finalized just yet, the renders are just renders so far. I just got a vendor and I still need to work on colors before we can start discussing prices from GMK. Once I finalize colors I will discuss that with him and figure out the pricing difference for the base kit. I would like to keep it in there if the price isn't too high, but we will see.

Offline LeonVuitton

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 18:00:10 »
I've been hoping that someone would do this color combo since I saw the renders for the rama u-80.  I'm definitely in.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 18:11:57 »
Couple quick comments:

1) It's well-known by now that GMK likes RAL color codes better than Pantone. Since precise coloring will be particularly important for this set, this is a factor to take into account.

2) In my inexpert opinion when it comes to colors... as the kits stand now, the jet-black accents (Esc and horizontal Enter) look a bit... too black. I feel they're out of place. Again, opinion.

3) Not counting ISO support and the numpad's presence or absence, the minimalistic set looks mostly fine, except for the absence of an R4 End key. That one DOES need to be added.

3') If you decide in the end to NOT add a numpad, perhaps the R1 End and PgDn keys (which are added for the benefit of 1800 and 1800-like layouts) should be on the choppin' block, so to speak.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 18:13:47 »
Couple quick comments:

1) It's well-known by now that GMK likes RAL color codes better than Pantone. Since precise coloring will be particularly important for this set, this is a factor to take into account.

2) In my inexpert opinion when it comes to colors... as the kits stand now, the jet-black accents (Esc and horizontal Enter) look a bit... too black. I feel they're out of place. Again, opinion.

3) Not counting ISO support and the numpad's presence or absence, the minimalistic set looks mostly fine, except for the absence of an R4 End key. That one DOES need to be added.

3') If you decide in the end to NOT add a numpad, perhaps the R1 End and PgDn keys (which are added for the benefit of 1800 and 1800-like layouts) should be on the choppin' block, so to speak.
i personally use r1 end on 75 percents
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 18:15:43 »
Couple quick comments:

i personally use r1 end on 75 percents

3') If you decide in the end to NOT add a numpad, perhaps the R1 End and PgDn keys (which are added for the benefit of 1800 and 1800-like layouts) may or may not be on the choppin' block, so to speak.

Offline MrCoolPants

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 21:17:28 »
ne renders of the set on a silver board avail?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 11:19:12 »
Couple quick comments:

Hey! Thank you for the feedback! I heard you like to help out and give good feedback for other people's keysets! Thanks for looking at mine! Currently I have converted the colors to RAL, that was part of some changes that I planned for yesterday. I am currently working on figuring out all the kits and will take your feedback into consideration! You are not the first person that has told me about R4 End key, I understand the importance of it for some people! Again thanks for the feedback and hope you have a good rest of your day! :)

Offline Tyson

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 11:23:44 »
Just wanted to give everyone another update! The set has been converted to RAL! The colors are ever so slightly different and will not be be noticeable in renders. I have added a comparison of both the new RAL colors and the Pantone colors, I really like the new color we went with for the alpha color, Cool Gray 11c seemed a bit too dark for me, this new RAL color has a slight hint of Blue in it, similar to the renders MetallicCharles has been putting out, his Alpha color has been the main objective and is the correct vision I have for this set! Hope everyone still loves the set and if anything seems off please let me know! We have also changed the WS1 accent color to WS2 to get a brighter White that will work better with the set, the only big change that will take place is the dark accent color, it is more gray now than black. It's still a really dark gray that works well with the rest of the set!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 11:35:54 »
ne renders of the set on a silver board avail?

I have a friend working on a render of Ashes on his silver board. I'll update you once I get the pics of it. :)

Offline loopaddiction

Re: [IC] GMK Ashes (GB starts Q1 2020)
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 14:25:24 »
All in. As a neutral-color stan, this is grayscale heaven. Great work!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 14:36:26 »
All in. As a neutral-color stan, this is grayscale heaven. Great work!

Thank you! :)

Offline Tyson

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 17:06:42 »
Thinking about removing the numpad from the base kit, please help me out by answering this question, Do you use a numpad?

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 21:34:13 »
time to earn money for Q1 then!

Offline rondg

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 22:31:10 »
Now this will look good with graphite black

Offline steezkeez

[IC] GMK Ashes (GB starts Q1 2020)
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 22:55:13 »
It’s gonna be a good year for cool grey — Ashes, Modo Light, Nublado. Can’t wait!

Offline LtCasual

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 09:21:33 »
I just talked myself out of a split backspace for my next build and then I see you've gone and included a 1U and it looks sooo nice. Now I'm torn!

Great looking set!

Offline Tyson

Re: [IC] GMK Ashes [More renders!] (GB starts Q1 2020)
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 14:01:25 »
Just another update with more renders, also wanted to let you guys know I have been working with OneFiveNine on kits along with other things in store for the set! You guys are going to love it! :D

Offline yaya

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 14:07:37 »
Any plans for F1-4 and F9-12 in the ghost kit?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 15:13:33 »
Any plans for F1-4 and F9-12 in the ghost kit?

It's an idea we can look into :)

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 16:24:42 »
Hi!

Some of the renders are quite confusing. I'm not sure if it has been pointed out already, (in that case I'm sorry) but I thought it was worth mentioning.
These two look completely different. One has a yellow tone and the other has a blue tone. And you are going for greyscale right? So the are both wrong.
The light shouldn't have any color when you do kit renders if you want to avoid confusion.

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 16:28:10 »
Hi!

Some of the renders are quite confusing. I'm not sure if it has been pointed out already, (in that case I'm sorry) but I thought it was worth mentioning.
These two look completely different. One has a yellow tone and the other has a blue tone. And you are going for greyscale right? So the are both wrong.
The light shouldn't have any color when you do kit renders if you want to avoid confusion.

Show Image

If you look in OP I believe they changed the color palette and the colors changed

Offline Tyson

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 16:35:02 »
Hi!

Show Image

Apologies! Currently the render artist had been making the renders on a blueish background causing that blue tone. That's not what I had in mind for the colors. We are working  on getting new renders right now and will update them with the correct ones. Again, this is my first IC so I wasn't sure if different lighting would be good for renders. One of many mistakes I've made it seems. Thank you for pointing it out and we will be working on this.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 16:35:54 »
Hi!

Show Image

You're correct about this.  Still somewhat new at this and getting everything set up still.  We'll make sure to have better lighting for final renders once the kits are settled.  Thanks for keen eye and help!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 18:01:01 »
You'll figure out the renders. I appreciate you posting the RAL colors.

re: numpad being split out
I use a numpad (as a separate device) and buy coverage for it every set. Split it out or don't, either way is fine for me. What no one likes for GMK sets is the TKL coverage still costing USD 120+ and the numpad on top of that (GMK eclipse, fro yo, cafe as planned, can't remember firefly price), with it being marketed as "saving money" when custom color sets like GMK violet on cream are under 125$ for full coverage (sandstorm also was thanks to DUDUDUDU, voyage, 8008 was 130, there's others...) with the whole set in there, and two of those I know had MOQ at 250.

Jamon, striker, 9009, minimal all had no numpad but cheap base (99$ USD for all) with numpad kit at 40 or less. They also sold 500 base kits each.

VoC is another great example of pricing:the alternate alphas kit included the numpad numbers, and was still under 75$.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 20:14:03 »
Love this!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 20:21:47 »

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 01:11:14 »
Hi!

Show Image

Apologies! Currently the render artist had been making the renders on a blueish background causing that blue tone. That's not what I had in mind for the colors. We are working  on getting new renders right now and will update them with the correct ones. Again, this is my first IC so I wasn't sure if different lighting would be good for renders. One of many mistakes I've made it seems. Thank you for pointing it out and we will be working on this.

All good! That's not really your fault since you didn't do these renders but maybe you are both new to to it. We all start somewhere. A quick fix would be to pull them in to PS and desaturate them until they somewhat match the hex values of the RALs. Then just switch them out when the new renders come. Good luck, I'll be getting this set down the line!

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 02:49:15 »
I'm totally in if an ISO-FR kit is added
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Tyson

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 14:04:52 »
Hi!

Show Image

All good! That's not really your fault since you didn't do these renders but maybe you are both new to to it. We all start somewhere. A quick fix would be to pull them in to PS and desaturate them until they somewhat match the hex values of the RALs. Then just switch them out when the new renders come. Good luck, I'll be getting this set down the line!

We've replaced the base kit renders and have placed a new one that should show the correct colors. Thank you for the great feedback! I am glad to have learned from this experience, and will make sure it won't happen again on the renders! :D

Offline depletedvespene

Re: [IC] GMK Ashes [Corrected renders!] (GB starts Q1 2020)
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 15:07:03 »
Not that I want to be that guy (ok, who are we kidding here?), but... the latest render is missing one keycap for full UK English over ISO support - R1 doesn't show up.

Also, I wonder if having horizontal (ANSI) Enter and numpad Enter in white-ish and black-ish, while the vertical (ISO) Enter is available in white-ish and dark gray is an intentional choice or an oversight.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 15:50:02 »
Not that I want to be that guy (ok, who are we kidding here?), but... the latest render is missing one keycap for full UK English over ISO support - R1 doesn't show up.

Also, I wonder if having horizontal (ANSI) Enter and numpad Enter in white-ish and black-ish, while the vertical (ISO) Enter is available in white-ish and dark gray is an intentional choice or an oversight.

Kits are still not finalized, plus that one posted is not the latest one, I only placed it on the IC as it has the correct colors in it this time. I went ahead and did add more iso support like you suggested last time. Thank you again for the feedback.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 September 2019, 15:56:17 by tyson522 »

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 16:03:05 »

Kits are still not finalized, plus that one posted is not the latest one, I only placed it on the IC as it has the correct colors in it this time. I went ahead and did add more iso support like you suggested last time. Thank you again for the feedback.

Sorry, I thought that was the latest render.

Offline dallman5

[IC] GMK Ashes [Deskmats Added!] (GB starts Q1 2020)
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 21:46:26 »
I'm liking this set! I have a few small critiques regarding compatibility, though. For the ghost kit, it would be nice to see both barred and scooped homing options, a ~` and |/ (1u) key,  as well as F1-4 and F9-12 in that kit for basic TKL compatibility.  In addition, it looks like there is only a light grey second B key, I feel like there should be a dark grey one somewhere as well since that is the base alpha color after all.

Also, any chance for R5? :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2019, 22:47:22 by dallman5 »
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline Sorachi.Ace

• Formerly CaptRobo
  • Co-owner of SodieCaps artisan keycaps
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 19:12:22 »
I love this. I'm definitely in for a set once GB starts.

Offline jokanevad

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 13:59:04 »
Wow! I am so in on a base set and a deskmat if you end up making a international set to go with it! Great job so far, cant wait to see how this turns out!

Offline Dakk1d

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 01:31:27 »
This looks fantastic. 100% copping if there's a international kit aswell.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Tyson

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 15:32:30 »
I love this. I'm definitely in for a set once GB starts.

Wow! I am so in on a base set and a deskmat if you end up making a international set to go with it! Great job so far, cant wait to see how this turns out!

This looks fantastic. 100% copping if there's a international kit aswell.

Thanks for the interest guys! :) I'll be posting more information on everything once I get more work done on it, currently I've been busy trying to build a few boards, along with running my cerakote service.