Author Topic: Dampened alps mod, now some keys aren't working  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Timoth79

Dampened alps mod, now some keys aren't working
« on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:05:43 »
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here to Geekhack, I've been lurking for a while checking out reviews and articles, and decided to buy an Omnikey Northgate Evolution ergonomic keyboard. I then bought an AEKII for it's dampened sliders and moded the Northgate. (By the way thanks for all the great articles on Alps to the the authors who contributed!)

I put the Northgate back together and everything was working great when testing in AquaKey until I discovered the following:

- Pressing the 'E' key actually triggers the 'R' key
- Pressing the 'S' key actually triggers the 'D' key
- Pressing caps lock actually triggers the Left Shift key

I've tried taking the r, r, s, d, and caps lock keys back off but can't fix the issue, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
current keyboard: Northgate Omnikey Evolution with dampened cream sliders mod

Offline Pylon

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 13:54:13 »
Are you sure you there aren't any shorts on the PCB?

Offline chimera15

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 06:37:26 »
This shouldn't happen unless there's a short somewhere in the pcb.  Just messing with the switches won't cause a miss trigger like this I don't think.  The matrix has to be messed up somehow.  Usually keys next to each other on those rows use the same matrix wire, on one side, then the other side runs down like this 2wsx, 3edc, 4rfv ect.  So if there's a fault the 4rfv will be crossed somehow with 3edc, etc.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 November 2010, 06:43:00 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Timoth79

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 10:10:04 »
Thanks everyone for the responses, I realized after posting this that the keyboard forum was a more appropriate place for my question so I re-posted the question there. Turns out that the issue was due to the keyboard getting reprogrammed to mis-mapped keys. Resetting the keyboard solved the issues.
current keyboard: Northgate Omnikey Evolution with dampened cream sliders mod