Author Topic: Suggestion: Someone make a keyboard layout/colouring application  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Ghostpixel

• I <3 Topre!
    • Elliot Ghost Photography
I dont think this exists. If it does, then great :)

We need some computer wiz to make a program where its dead simple to puzzle together a simulated keyboard "image". Just to try out in a nice way how a keyboard would look with diffrent keycap colours for example. Now i have to make one up in photoshop and do it manually and its hard in many ways. What would be cool is a program just to play around in. To keep it simple it should only have the most common layouts (60%, 80%, 100%) in both iso and ansi. Now you choose what colour you wanna have on the individual keycaps and voila. You can choose all diffrent colour combos and see what fits best before you start rit dying in a random colours :) Maybe you could have a choiseof diffrent fonts and some other options as well.

I think it would be possible to make something like that. Im no hacker myself, but i could probably manage to make some graphic base models in photoshop.

What more would you like to have in it? Total freedom with case building and key placement? Sync with facebook? ;) A keyboard simulation dream.
REALFORCE 88UB / APPLE AEKII [mod.] / MX REVOLUTION / QPAD HEATON XXL

Offline PlayerZero

Suggestion: Someone make a keyboard layout/colouring application
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 June 2011, 18:28:28 »
This would actually be a pretty cool idea.  I think the Facebook thing might be cool, but idk how many GHers are on Facebook.  Also, definitely give full freedom for key placement, it would be good for other layouts, and awesome messed up keyboards.  Wish I could do this myself, but hopefully someone can =)
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline Ghostpixel

• I <3 Topre!
    • Elliot Ghost Photography
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 03:19:38 »
Maybe it could be done on a flash web page as well. Just thought of that :) Could be easier to make and easier to use.
REALFORCE 88UB / APPLE AEKII [mod.] / MX REVOLUTION / QPAD HEATON XXL

Offline slueth

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 03:46:24 »
It could be done, but someone needs to be passionate or paid to do it lol.  It takes a lot of time to save time.

Offline Brian

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 21:39:35 »
I began working on something like what you might want. Just finished the first standard tenkeyless layout based on the Logitech K120 in front of me. It's hard coded at the moment since I *just* finished the regular keys, but I'm going to make it database driven and allow the saving and loading of custom keysets and colors. All available via the web :)

http://www.gameslayer.org/kb-prototype.php

Offline Brian

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 21:45:13 »
Incidentally I forgot to try it in Firefox (only Chrome) before I posted the link, but just tested it and fortunately it works perfectly fine. But if anyone has IE9, go ahead and load it up. It's pretty hilarious looking.