Author Topic: Replaceing mouse buttons  (Read 11801 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Replaceing mouse buttons
« on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 22:12:00 »
Has anyone done this? I'm not an expert at soldering, but I've gotten really fast at soldering and de-soldering surface mount components, including LED's.  With that said, I had a bi$%h of a time replacing a mouse button.  The PCB holes are small and the pins are really wide.  I tried about 15-20 times and could not clear all the solder.  The wet solder almost has surface tension and it sticks to the pin and the pad, but they are so close that it clings to both of them.  Ultimately I broke the switch off, heated each pin and pulled them out individually. 

The mouse is a no longer made Roccat Kone XTD.  I want to replace the other buttons, but don't even want to mess with it anymore as the mouse is essentially irreplaceable.  I'm sure there is a technique that I am just missing. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Replaceing mouse buttons
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 00:47:43 »
Many of us have done it a few times... I destroy the switches about once a year.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81743.0
Certain mice are easier than others. a G700 for example is a ******* nightmare while the most difficult part of a G900 or 903 is removing the teflon pads or finding all the necessary screws.

You have the right idea, if all else fails destroy the exitisng switch if it means saving the pcb, the switch is dead anyhow so no loss there. Also do not be afraid to add leaded solder to the lead free garbage, you may even need to do it several times to thin out the lead free stuff.  As for irreplaceable, if you are that dead set on that mouse, start collecting parts spares on Ebay, working or not. That was what I and many others did on the older Logitech Revolution mouse and I think a few did it with the old  MX 1000. 
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 13:30:48 »
You need a soldering pump (solder sucker).

If you heat the traces for too long on mice pcbs they'll delaminate as it's very thin and small.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 12:07:45 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 May 2021, 12:10:03 by MajorKoos »