Author Topic: Any ELECOM Huge users  (Read 71885 times)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Any ELECOM Huge users
« on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 07:13:49 »
Been experimenting with the ELECOM Huge lately.
(This is my first trackball).
I kinf of like it, but I'm not sure if it's too big for me or not?
Because I can't really figure what is the correct hand position for it.

Me I do :
- Thumb sitting on Left click
- Index and middle finger on the ball
- Ring in between R & Fn3
- pinky sitting on right end

My main issue with it is how hard the middle click is, I'm a big middle click user and it's so heavy to press down.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ckofy

Re: Any ELECOM Huge users
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 21:26:22 »
Your hand position is correct, just keep in mind that to comfortably access the scroll wheel you should rest fingertips on the ball, means to move wrist backward. Some people with really big hands that prefer to control ball with fingers moved more forward report that Huge is too small for them because then it is impossible to reach scroll wheel without thumb acrobatics. I also having Elecom Deft Pro, and for this one I actually can move wrist more forward without loosing scroll wheel.
And yes, both of Elecoms are having quite heavy middle click, or may be it is just not too convenient to click it sideways with the thumb. I do not use middle click, so I actually do not bother about that.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 04:32:58 »
Thanks.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline deama

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:52:47 »
How's the ball? Is it smooth when you move it?

Offline mb93

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 16:34:54 »

Hi, the ball is great and very smooth. The huge is very close to Microsoft Trackball Explorer ergonomically but the ball is larger and you can select dpi speed too.
A lot of buttons, very useful when you use sketchup. It's one of  my favorite.
A little photo for comparaison:

Offline equalunique

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 13:34:16 »

Hi, the ball is great and very smooth. The huge is very close to Microsoft Trackball Explorer ergonomically but the ball is larger and you can select dpi speed too.
A lot of buttons, very useful when you use sketchup. It's one of  my favorite.
A little photo for comparaison:
Show Image

I have an Elecom Huge and can also confirm the trackball is very nice and smooth.

But I have the Elecom M-XT3DRBK and M-XT4DRBK and the trackball on these is smooth about 90% of the time. Sometimes there's a little extra friction in there, even when it's been cleaned. Unlike the Huge, these have smaller black trackballs. I might try changing over to a different ball, if I can find ones that will fit.

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 15:18:54 »
I didn't know they made trackballs. I only knew about the mice. So ELECOM is Japanese BTW
qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord

Offline st0ckz

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 15:36:20 »
I've been using an elecom huge for nearly a year and it's a great trackball and its really comfortable, for me i changed fn1 to middle mouse through mouseassistant5 or whatever the elecom software is called because I found the scroll wheel to be very difficult to press all the way in.

When it's set to fn1 its an easy reach with the index finger.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 02:54:37 »
Just got my Huge yesterday. To be honest, I'm having mixed a experience.
Prior to this, I had the Slimblade and when that failed, I was deliberating on whether to get Huge or the Expert.

I will say that the scrolling on the Slimblade came pretty much naturally to me. It felt comfortable and natural right from the first second. On the Huge, it takes a bit of getting used to. I know that those who like the MS Trackball Explorer will like this.

Of course the worst thing right now for me is the fact that the Elecom Mouse Assistant software does not seem to be working that well with MacOS.

Offline Namaste

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 22:30:28 »
I use it with my hand place on the buttons how you describe in your original post.

However, personally I don't really use the buttons on the right-hand side of the mouse as I find them too easy to mis-click (I have them set as alt key and a new tab key for chrome).

I have the left click where it is by default, but I use the forward button as a right click and the backward button as a middle click. This saves having to push in the wheel for the middle click.

I use the up and down scroll wheel tilts to navigate backwards and forwards in chrome.

I then have Fn1 and Fn2 as volume up and down respectively.

Definitely worth upgrading the bearings to ceramics though, the Huge has an unusable amount of static friction stock, and even with the upgrade is nowhere near as smooth as the Kensington Expert, although I cannot work out why.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 00:08:44 »
I just got a set of Ceramic Bearings for the huge, I'm hoping to do the upgrade tomorrow.

We'll see how it goes.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 19:34:54 »
I just got a set of Ceramic Bearings for the huge, I'm hoping to do the upgrade tomorrow.

We'll see how it goes.

It's been a while, any thoughts on the mod?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:03:03 »
Definitely worth upgrading the bearings to ceramics though, the Huge has an unusable amount of static friction stock

Does this mean when you try to first move the ball it feels a bit sticky?  If so I agree - it's lovely and smooth once moving but small moves from still are not accurate.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 12:18:23 »
Definitely worth upgrading the bearings to ceramics though, the Huge has an unusable amount of static friction stock

Does this mean when you try to first move the ball it feels a bit sticky?  If so I agree - it's lovely and smooth once moving but small moves from still are not accurate.
Yes it does. For me when I changed the bearings the whole mouse felt just a bit smoother. I might not have gotten high quality bearings but it made some difference.

Offline typo

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:54:37 »
I much prefer the top gaming deft. Already comes with ceramic.

Offline jamster

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 03:20:19 »
I've just received one of these trackballs. My last one (several years ago) was a CST so the Huge feels a bit light and flimsy in comparison. It's a bit early to post further thoughts, but I did think its worth mentioning that the ball felt very slightly sticky at the beginning of its motion.

I popped the ball out and discovered that the bearings were covered in some kind of semi-solidified grey grease. Once I rubbed this off, the ball is significantly smoother.

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 21:23:45 »
I noticed those bearings get clogged a lot and I don't eat around mine or anything. Cleaning those makes such a difference.

I will say its the best trackball I think i've owned. The Kensington one I had was a close second.

Going between that and the M3 and a Model O is some switch.

Offline jamster

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 22:00:20 »
Ive been using one for a week or so now. Previous trackball was a CST.

It's... okay. Part of this is personal preference, part of this is quality.

Personal preference: I prefer the larger diameter ball of the CST, as well as the flatter and more centrally located ball. I found this gave me better fine-grained control of the cursor (especially the larger ball, which gave better leverage).

Edit: I've just identified another advantage to the CST design. The large buttons on either side of the trackball are actuated by the same fingers as used to operate the large ball. On the Elecom design, the primary mouse button can only be thumb-actuated. I am finding that when I press the thumb button, my fingers remain close enough to the ball surface that I often bump the ball and move the cursor when I click. Whether this happens is going to be down to the user, but I've been using this thing for over two weeks now and haven't managed to adapt.

Quality: The microswitches in the Huge seem to use different types. Standard mouse-like (clicky) under most buttons, but the Forward/Back, Fn1/Fn2 buttons seem to use a different switch- these 'mush' when actuated instead of properly clicking. This renders them... well, close to useless for me. I had wanted to remap one of the buttons closer to the ball into the left click button, but the mushy buttons are not viable as a primary mouse button.

This brings me onto the next quality issue- the software is utter garbage. It doesn't write into the trackball firmware, you need to have it running all the time if you want to remap buttons. If you move the trackball across multiple machines, you need to install the Elecom software on each machine. I've had it default into Japanese, and had to guess around to change it back to English. And most of it is comprehensible once in the language of your choice, but at least one of the functions was described so obscurely I had to Google it.

I do have replacement ceramic bearings making their way slowly to me, which will be swapped in out of curiosity. But the ball and smoothness are not problematic (as others have been having issues with).

Overall: It's usable (barely). It's cheap. It's nowhere comparable to a CST- it's big but flimsy, it's got some major UX issues. If I were based in the States, where I ordered this from, I would be returning this. Unfortunately, return shipping would cost about as much as the trackball.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 21:06:53 by jamster »

Offline chale_moore

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 00:14:16 »
Looked at the comment of ELECOM Huge, let me tell you something in thought, in the same way, I do not use this product (ELECOM Huge) but my friend John uses it. Overall he has described this product as ok.

Offline jamster

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 20:19:51 »
After trying to use an Elecom Huge for a month, I'm giving up on it.

I had previously thought that the bearings were okay, but was mistaken. The ball doesn't spin freely, given a quick spin it stops very quickly. For large movements, this isn't an issue. But for fine control, there is an inherent stickiness to the initial movement which makes small pointer adjustments difficult- I often overshoot slightly.

Going back to a $30 wireless Logitech mouse for now, it's preferable to the Elecom. I have replacement ceramic bearings stuck somewhere in a delivery system, and once they arrive (it's been three months so far) I will give the Elecom another shot.

Based on my experience so far, the Elecom Huge is a definite No.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 03:12:11 »
I have a rule with things like this - I use them until I no longer think about them and they become natural.  After a month I still had initial friction and after two months I was still struggling to double click or right click without moving sometimes.  Yesterday I noticed the friction has gone (I've not cleaned the bearingrs for a couple of weeks, though use has been low) and the only thing I remember annoying me was the warm handrest as I was using it in the middle of a warm day, which is unusual.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline knightjp

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 06:28:34 »
With the time that I have spent using the HUGE, I can safely say that it actually is the best trackball that I have used by far. Yes, I used it till everything is pretty much now natural; habitual even.
Buttons that I have did not think that I would be using are pretty much like second nature. Again, the only real thing that bugs me is the fact that Elecom does not provide proper software for us MacOS users. It seems that the Windows versions work great and have a lot more features for me to unlock.

So I am a happy Elecom HUGE user.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 08:29:57 »
Buttons that I have did not think that I would be using are pretty much like second nature.

What do your buttons do?

I have wheel up/down as page up/down and the two little buttons next to the ball as double and triple click for selecting text, but currently I've got two right clicks as I can't think of a good use for either of them.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline typo

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 06:44:12 »
For about 3-4 years I have used a JDM Elecom thumb ball Top of the line from my Grandpa(typo). If you could try this one you might use no other pointing device. It is far superior to what they are exporting. Unfortunately they do not make a top ball in this segment.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 10:20:41 »
I'm using SteerMouse to control and give functionality to most of the extra buttons on MacOS. But there was a recent update to SteerMouse and even though the settings are the same, nothing seems to be working. Any ideas?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 10:28:21 »
The mouse is still going to be sending the same button codes, if they broke the program you would need to ask them why (I would guess it affects all mice as they are all HID mice devices)  Or you could find an old version that still works.

This is assuming it is the program update and not an OS update that happened at the same time?  No idea if Mac sneak them through like Microsoft do...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline knightjp

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 10:40:14 »
This is assuming it is the program update and not an OS update that happened at the same time?  No idea if Mac sneak them through like Microsoft do...
The OS does not update piece of software until you tell it to. At least that is what my experience tells me and if it does, it gives me an immediate notification of what it did.
SteerMouse does not update automatically. It told me that there was a new version available and I opted to upgrade. I guess that was my fault. I will try and older version and see if it will work.

Offline micmil

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 23:01:57 »
I've been using one for a little while now and I absolutely love it. I think one of the issues a lot of people have with it is they're trying to keep their hand in one position at all times. That seems like it would get quite tiring. Stay active over it. Move your hand around. Don't try to keep the thumb on this button, ring on this one, put the pinky in the hole, wiggle your left ear... nah, that'll get you hurt. As long as you're dynamic in your hand movements this thing's a breeze to use.

The software, as others have mentioned, is garbage. Yes, it technically works. Fine. But it has to be installed and configured on every computer because the settings are not stored onboard. This is ridiculous. My eight year old Logitech G700s has had the same settings stored on in for eight years. It goes between computers. It's set up the way I want it to be and it's that way everywhere. The Huge isn't even the same on my computer.

I have absolutely no reason why, but the Huge does not send proper commands via RDP. This is excruciatingly annoying if you are used to having page up and down bound to buttons on your mouse. I don't need left and right scroll so I rebound those to be page up and down. Log in for work and... it's just sending numbers. Maybe this is an issue with the remote settings but, again, the Logitech mouse has no issue with this. What's kind of funny though is that with a TKL I cram the Huge right up next to the edge and can just hit the page up and down keys with my thumb.

Software blows, hardware's great.

Bonus review: Amazon screwed up and sent me the wrong Elecom trackball at first so I gave it about ten minutes just to check it out. It's one of the thumb-controlled ones, the M-XT3DR. Absolute ass. Tracking was terrible, the ball felt like... well... balls... and after about thirty seconds my thumb tendons threatened to burn my house down if I didn't stop. I have renter's insurance so I didn't care but I stopped anyway.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 07:45:49 »
Do the numbers seen in RDP correspond to the ones on the numberpad for page up/down?  Could be the remote computer has num lock off.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline micmil

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 14:15:46 »
Do the numbers seen in RDP correspond to the ones on the numberpad for page up/down?  Could be the remote computer has num lock off.

I absolutely never would have thought of that but yes, that is EXACTLY what's going on there. I'll get that sorted and see if it works. Thanks! :-*

Offline muscimilieng

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 09:15:32 »
I'm using SteerMouse to control and give functionality to most of the extra buttons on MacOS. But there was a recent update to SteerMouse and even though the settings are the same, nothing seems to be working. Any ideas?

Thanks for the tip ! I've used this trackball for 2 years now as my daily driver and never took advantage of the additional buttons. This will be a good improvement to my workflow

Offline typo

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 07:33:25 »
I really like all of Elecom's offering's. For some great reason they are not expensive in the United States. Perhaps they are little known. Or the quality is often overlooked. I am not sure why they are not more popular.
So here is the ultimate trick with them. Or any device with a smaller ball. You need to go get some 100% synthetic oil at a Firearms dealer. If you do not shoot, just go there and they will show you the right stuff. Unfortunately the brands you want are pretty expensive. Take a Q-tip and twist the cotton tight. Now squirt a few drops of the oil onto the end of the Q-tip. Now apply it to the tiny rollers inside the ball cavity. What the ball rides on. Move the rollers around with the lubricated Q-tip. Do not over do it. Replace the ball. You should now have greased lightening. You should be able to flick the ball and it will spin around by it self 20 times. Due to the mass and inertia of the ball itself now gliding with almost no resistance. That is, if you think this would be a good thing.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 21:31:10 »
I've had a mixed journey with the Elecom Huge.

The stock bearings "stick" when the ball is not already moving, making fine/precise movement almost impossible. I got some custom bearings but havevn't installed them yet.

The hand position is weird and takes getting used-to. I have very small hands, and I found that it works best if I actually sit my hand farther back on the mouse, so that my fingers aren't fully laid over the buttons, but my thumb is positioned more nicely over the scroll wheel, and my fingertips are positioned more nicely over the ball. Manofinterests also once suggested that it's more usable if you angle the trackball a bit (maybe on the edge of a thin book), so that the inner edge is elevated, creating a "tenting" effect. I tried it, but I ended up going back to flat-on-the-desk once I found a hand position that worked for me.

Overall I don't regret owning it, and now that I'm used to it, I like the "organic" hand-conforming shape when compared to other "big-ass trackballs" like the CST L-Trac and Kensington Expert. But the "sticking" issue with the stock bearings was really disappointing; it's been sitting on my shelf next to a bag of replacement bearings, rather than on my desk.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 16:46:02 »
I can attest to the "sticking" issue but I've found it to me much less prominent with I'm using 3 fingers to move the ball and not pressing down very hard. The sticking seems to be worse when I'm firm with the ball.