Author Topic: [IC] Melody 80 keyboard from Character[Club](Huge update!!!!!)  (Read 24380 times)

Offline Zhu96

[IC] Melody 80 keyboard from Character[Club](Huge update!!!!!)
« on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 12:37:01 »
Discord for discussion(not official): https://discord.gg/5xUuHkK, hope to answer any question u have ;)
Video update: https://www.instagram.com/p/B48_tYHnjYa/?igshid=1hr7wkeiup9ee
Come and check it out.

On behalf of my friend Trevor, he had requested me to post this IC for his upcoming keyboard Melody. Here's his original post with a simple translation:

After a good deal of contemplation, I've decided to have such a post introducing my upcoming keyboard under Geekhack. It took me days and nights working on the blueprint of Melody 80%, in order to make it perfect. Anyway, lets skip all these nonsense sentences and walk all you through the detail of my first keyboard: Melody 80%.
My design inspiration
My inspiration for the design of this keyboard comes from the sound testing I had while assembling the keyboard tank. While listening to those typing sounds, I realized that this is exactly the melody for the keyboard lovers like me. Lost ourselves in the beautiful typing sounds nothing less than a musician indulging in a beautiful music. Being aware that there’s no such design in our mechanical keyboard group, I decided to produce it myself.

Features of my keyboard

•   We decided to remove 3 keys: PrtSc, ScrLK and Pause, because these 3 keys are rare to use.

•   This keyboard has PCB-gasket mount structure (Platless).

•   I’ve tried to increase the typing angle through the internal of bottom case, to implement this design I have to change the way of stabilizing keyboard tank. I’ve bravely tried to use the method of rubber strip without any steel or screws to fastening the keyboard tank. To accomplish this my team had perfectly accurate calculation of the deformation rate and unsoldering probability of this fixed plate, making my design perform perfectly on this keyboard. At the same time such a design has improved two imperfections from traditional stabilization:
1. unstable typing feeling.
2. Install difficulty.
It has improved the low typing degree issue in a certain degree for the underbite structure. (I give all my respect to other designers who use traditional stabilization on their keyboard, this is only a change made according to my own experience while typing)

•   The PCB of this keyboard is all designed by my own team and we have overcome lots of problems. First of all, this is a PCB supporting QMK and NKRO, I chose type-c connector for Melody since it is compatible with the majority devices in 2019. A small detail on our own PCB is that we used same data from original Cherry factory, which makes the gap on Melody considerably small (almost no gap).

•   On the splice where the keycap and kit connect, we optimized the gap in order to provide our buyers the most delicate product. However, the effect picture is not as perfect as I expected. So we made a concave transaction, which gives users both the aesthetic perception of minimum gap and visual impact when chamfer passes into the plane.

•   The nameplate on the upper right has 16 dots surrounding the circle, each of these dots are RGB lightning. The extra dot on the far right is a signal light for CAPS key. Such a design is to fulfill the RGB lighting most players desire.

•   And to the grand finale, we will be providing multiple contrast colors for the keyboard, the color of the bottom plate will be different from upper plate. Whereas the color of the nameplate will be same as the bottom plate. Weight on the bottom plate will be in disc shape, which brings out the theme of Melody. We use wire drawing first and then plating with black nickelPVD to retain the wiredrawing effect. (I want to restore the look of vinyl record as much as I can).

Most recent updates, huge changes made to the design:
Hope you like it ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 December 2019, 22:18:38 by Zhu96 »

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
Re: [IC] Melody 80% keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 12:42:27 »

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 12:43:15 »
top right logo looks weird, tone down the branding. other than that, looking good!

Offline click clack jack

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 12:46:06 »
For my personal taste, the badge is too big for me! That is my feedback, as a man who buys all TKL gb's this year

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 12:49:51 »
I sincerely thought this was a version of YMDK's Melody series, and I went "wait but they didn't even finish the 65 yet, huh?" but realized it' s someone else entirely.
I would recommend changing the name at the very least, as far as the board I do like the bezels and how it looks from the top, although I'd prefer the badge be smaller, or entirely optional.
I'm interested in how it works internally too.

Offline zekth

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 12:52:01 »
I sincerely thought this was a version of YMDK's Melody series, and I went "wait but they didn't even finish the 65 yet, huh?" but realized it' s someone else entirely.
I would recommend changing the name at the very least, as far as the board I do like the bezels and how it looks from the top, although I'd prefer the badge be smaller, or entirely optional.
I'm interested in how it works internally too.

I had the same feeling.
Optionnal badge also is a good idea.

Offline Zhu96

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 12:57:06 »
I've seen a few incomplete prototype, the badge will be in multiple colors, black is the stunning one as far as I see. It can be customized but the price can be little high.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:00:40 »
Optional plate for top right would be cool. I liked them for the novelty placement opportunity and key remapping but I do like the idea.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:11:33 »
needs more branding honestly

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:25:41 »
Including 86 key option?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Zhu96

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:33:26 »
Sorry guys, add the name of the team at the top of the IC. This is from Character club!!!

Offline iridescent22

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:34:38 »

Offline gminso

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:36:03 »
When Will the gb run?

Offline msting

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:48:56 »
top right logo looks weird, tone down the branding. other than that, looking good!

+1

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:57:59 »
As others have stated, I would re-work the branding in general. I think a simpler badge design + less script would benefit the overall aesthetics greatly.

Offline PikaJoyce

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 14:04:04 »
Echoing what others have said. Not a huge fan of the badge.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 14:25:50 »
I agree with others -- the badge might be a little too big.

Otherwise, the two-tone is refreshing. This is a clear iteration, not just another clone. You have my vote  :thumb:
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline MadsMe

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 15:22:58 »
I'm not a big TKL fan, but this is gorgeous and might just be a buy. I really love that you are trying to use the upper right corner for something else and gives it a really refreshing look.
I will say though that the text is very in your face and some nice art (like the thing between the nav cluster and the arrows) would be great!

Offline Zhu96

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 15:30:32 »
Thank you all for the ideas, I will report that back to the designer.
Some details of the badge: there will be RGB light through the badge, each small hole will be minimized and ultimately giving you a rhombus shape. U can hardly see those small holes from you eyes since they will be made by laser.
I myself luckily had a chance to see a incomplete proto of the badge, each details are close to perfect. Those characters are to represent the classical music feeling same as the disc shape design at the bottom. You will see the actual prototype from designer's post soon. From start working on prototype to finished it only took him 4 or 5 days. All the GB will be produced and sent within 2 months. Imagine that speed.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 20:15:48 »
Only plateless option is offered?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Kallus

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 04:05:24 »
Agree on the rebranding, i think remove some of the script and a different font would do wonders for the aesthetic. Something a little less art deco for the font

Offline MadsMe

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 09:46:14 »
Agree on the rebranding, i think remove some of the script and a different font would do wonders for the aesthetic. Something a little less art deco for the font

I agree, the font is not what I assosiate with a melody

Offline rora

• Summitcables
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:05:51 »
lucio mains rejoice
Heavensward

Matrix 8x V2.0 Blue | Matrix 8x V2.0 Tiffany Blue | LZ SE MP | TGR Jane V2 Blue Grey | TGR Jane V2 Pink | TGR Jane V2 CE | Keycult No2, Rev1 | Keycult No2, Rev1 | TGR 910 CE | TGRxSinga Unikorn | Orion V3 | Xeno | Mira SE | Kmac Happy | Kyuu | QXP | LZ CLS H | Poly Singa | TXCP | E6V2 FE

Offline infinitykw

• Amazed by the beauty of industrial design
    • zFrontier Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:32:34 »
Not a fan of the badge, not even interested in the idea of rgb lights on it, but good work friends.

Offline Trevor

• It's easy to say, but hard to do.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:08:53 »
Not a fan of the badge, not even interested in the idea of rgb lights on it, but good work friends.

I'm sorry for that, my friend.

Offline Trevor

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:24:24 »
As others have stated, I would re-work the branding in general. I think a simpler badge design + less script would benefit the overall aesthetics greatly.

I assure you, the badge doesn't look so weird.

Offline Trevor

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:25:29 »
This is the badge.227320-0

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:45:20 »
Idk, I think the badge looks pretty dope.  :thumb:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 16:35:22 »
This is the badge. (Attachment Link)

On second thought, that badge looks good  :thumb:
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Trevor

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 22:42:57 »
Idk, I think the badge looks pretty dope.  :thumb:

Thanks

Offline The Equals D

Re: [IC] gasket mount Melody 80% from Character Club
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:47:56 »
A little less branding would be nice but I like the design, would definitely be a board I'd have to consider if it makes it to gb.

Offline donan

Re: [IC] Melody 80-80% Gasket mount keyboard from Character[Club]
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 13:15:41 »
The badge is dope and the case looks raw yet elegant! I wonder... what date is the festival and how much are the tickets?

Very Interested :)

Offline Sorachi.Ace

• Formerly CaptRobo
  • Co-owner of SodieCaps artisan keycaps
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 13:55:41 »
I love this concept for a keyboard. The dual tone and music related theme gives it a clean yet unique look. Also I think the badge is fine.

One thing I would love to see added is a rotary encoder. Although I'm not sure where/how that would work out. Maybe replace the esc key? I think it would fit the music theme.

So far I think I'll be in for the gb either way.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 16:42:56 »
Would much prefer if the badge is optional, since I do use those keys quite often.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 18:22:33 »
not the most inspired board i've ever seen but the color options look good and you can't really go wrong with a wedge anyway
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline AT

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 19:51:51 »
E-White an option or powder coated ?

Offline Trevor

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 10:54:35 »
I love this concept for a keyboard. The dual tone and music related theme gives it a clean yet unique look. Also I think the badge is fine.

One thing I would love to see added is a rotary encoder. Although I'm not sure where/how that would work out. Maybe replace the esc key? I think it would fit the music theme.

So far I think I'll be in for the gb either way.

Thank you for your advice. I will consider it in future projects. :thumb:

Offline Vyndem

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 11:58:54 »
Imagine this in polycarbonate Kreygasm

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 11:26:25 »
will there be a winkey option?

Offline Trevor

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 10:43:25 »
will there be a winkey option?

There will be

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 17:43:56 »
Can the badge be the same color as the top and not the bottom?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 18:18:20 »
So do I got this right from reading the OP, this will be a plateless, gasket mounted. TKL? That has me more intrigued than anything about this board as I've been really wanting to try a plateless or half plate build. As far as the badge is concerned I personally don't mind it & dig the ideal of each hole having RGB shine through it (I am not a RGB fan at all either). but I do think the branding on top, back, & inside the case is a bit excessive. The two suggestions I would have is to replace the branding on the back with a musical scale or something along those lines & replace the mixer bars above the arrow cluster with just a note. That would fit the name much better IMO & tone down the branding, which would be a win win from the feedback I'm seeing here.

Offline vaughno

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 20:14:18 »
pc wkl pls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unikorn | Orion v3 | GSKT-00

Offline tonny950111

• valar morghulis valar dohaeris
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 20:57:12 »
Interesting,so the weight is a whole piece or separable ? Whats the price range.

Offline Zhu96

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 23:43:24 »
Interesting,so the weight is a whole piece or separable ? Whats the price range.
producing prototype now, price us not settled down yet, should be 500 or up

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 10:19:38 »
Based on the picture below, the bumpons cover the screwholes. I would much prefer if the bumpons were a bit to the side so the case could be opened without removing bumpons.

More

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 13:06:46 »
tbh, I thought it was just another ymdk kb before clicked in but no  :p I think renaming is necessary, the gasket mount sounds cool. The plateless design will affect the feel of typing (flex), or not, if not,  I'm just curios how you guys place the gasket to entirely eliminate both the flex feeling and the sound. Do you just simply place the gasket all over the board?

Offline Digitalmatter

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 09:11:40 »
This looks like a really solid TKL. Would love the admittedly lame option for the command keys though

Offline heyitsconan

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 13:38:51 »
I got refered this from someone that knows you and sold me a keyboard. I am so excited!

Offline Datastream

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 05:51:43 »
Thought this was a YMDK keyboard in the making lol