Author Topic: Is My Mouse Sensitivity Really That High?  (Read 17703 times)

Offline Kavik

Is My Mouse Sensitivity Really That High?
« on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 14:22:03 »
I play games with my mouse's firmware sensitivity set to 1600 DPI, and, in Rainbow Six: Siege, the in-game sensitivity is set to 42, and, in DOOM Eternal, my sensitivity is set to 70 with sensitivity scaling set to 5 (whatever that means). A buddy I play with asked what my settings are after he spectated me the other day, and he thinks I'm a madman for having everything set so high. I don't move my forearm at all when playing, just my wrist. Is this not normal?

I've heard about Quake and Counterstrike players' using low sensitivity and sweeping their whole arms, but I always thought that was just competitive guys.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline yqqdrasil

Re: Is My Mouse Sensitivity Really That High?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 20:51:51 »
Yes you're definitely on the mid-high DPI spectrum of FPS gamers. Don't let this news make you think you need to change it however, as there are many professional players who are extremely good with high DPI/sensitivty (much higher than you, for example Ghostfreak66 was a R6 pro who plays with 4k DPI).

In almost every competitive FPS, players often use low DPI and low sensitivity, with a combination of wrist and arm movement. There are many reasons for this, one of the biggest being recoil patterns (like CS/Rust). Another being the fact that they started gaming with standard 400/800 DPI mice, and they got used to and never changed it.

Its not just the sweaty chads who use low settings, its preference. If you can hold steady aim with no jitter when flicking, tracking, spray-transferring etc. then you have no real reason to change. But there are a lot of players who come from MOBAs or RTS games where they never really cared about these settings and found it easier to pick up the nuances of FPS gaming and improving their aim after lowering their DPI. Myself included, I played LOL for 5 years with 1600 DPI and when I started playing Rust and couldn't aim to save my life, I moved to 800, then 400 and lowering my sensitivity in steps.

What most people do when they're trying to find the right settings is place your mouse in the default position (the center of your mousepad or whatever), and try to do a 180°. If you can comfortably do a 180° with extra space on the left/right of your mousepad then you're free to reduce the sensitivity until your at the end of your mousepad or comfort zone.

In the end, none of this **** matters. It's all muscle memory.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 21:02:50 »
Depends who you talk to.
Some people play at 320dpi.

When monitors were 600x400 mice were 240 dpi, 320 DPI was created back when screens had 800x600 resolution, in both cases it's about 2-3 inches to cross the screen. This was when they actually researched this stuff to see what worked best, though it was probably not gaming related. To do that today on 1440 you would need a setting of about 1200-1600, any bets as to what modern upper end office mice default to? Right about at those settings. So no, you aren't crazy. I came up with old monitors so as my screens got more pixels so did the mice and I always tried to maintain that balance.

If what you use was odd, why would companies make sensors with 16k dpi. Your buddy would poop his pants if he knew what some of us use, in order to reduce RSI in my wrist I usually run around 7600 DPI on 1080p and 8700 on 1440p, granted I turn down the setting in the OS to reduce some of that because I want per pixel resolution, Windows by default skips about 3 pixels and in CAD or photo editing that can create issues.  Without tweaking the OS I tend to run around about 3k dpi less. So what happens when I connect that mouse to a laptop with 768 resolution and default OS mouse settings? Pure insanity.

By the way, low DPI seems to involve aiming with wist and elbow, by comparison, I tend to use fingers and wrist which is impossible with some grip styles, so it's also probably at least somewhat determined by grip style. This would also explain why some people are so bothered by heavy mice while others are not. A heavy mouse when aiming from elbow is going to exert far more leverage than if just pushing it with fingers and wrist a short distance at slower speeds.

But how do you game on this?
Like Yqqdrasil said, muscle memory. The reason I use such odd numbers is because I tune each mouse to what I'm comfortable with and have been accustomed to. As a result my mouse feels about the same as it did to me years ago despite a resolution bump or two and multiple mouse changes. I can flip around with a small flick and head shot someone well enough to get banned for aim botting.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2020, 21:04:21 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 23:34:12 »
I use 1900 dpi, my wrist barely moves, mostly finger,  it's not accurate for AWP in CSGO, but I'm too old to play that stuff at this point anyway.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 11:05:33 »
This makes sense. I've always based my sensitivity on how easy it is to move the cursor on the desktop first, which presumably has changed as resolution has increased. Then I adjust it in-game so that I can turn 180 degrees (or maybe a tad bit more) with my wrist without having to pick the mouse up. I used to prefer a little bit of mouse acceleration too (I know that is universally considered heresy), but, with the sensitivity high enough, I guess I don't need it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 00:56:30 »
This makes sense. I've always based my sensitivity on how easy it is to move the cursor on the desktop first, which presumably has changed as resolution has increased. Then I adjust it in-game so that I can turn 180 degrees (or maybe a tad bit more) with my wrist without having to pick the mouse up. I used to prefer a little bit of mouse acceleration too (I know that is universally considered heresy), but, with the sensitivity high enough, I guess I don't need it.
I HAAAAAATE when games mess with the setting. Seriously, blind rage, there's absolutely zero reason to do that. I don't mind the option but it shouldn't alter them.

I noticed years ago high dpi users do not seem to care about acceleration, I think it effects us a lot less. I suspect this is because the mouse doesn't move far enough to really ratchet it up, I don't mind it, enabled or not since I tune to my own feel anyhow, which also could be part of it.

My method of tuning is to aim for a spot on the screen, an icon or dot on the background and just try and hit it a few times in a flick from multiple locations. Once I hit that consistently and comfortably a few times it's good. It doesn't need to be perfect, I'm just trying to get it close. Since you can get there faster you now how time to actually aim while the other person is still lifting and sliding to get there.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 02:23:23 »
I'm not heavily into gaming so perhaps this is old fashioned or something... the measure of 'sensitivity' that I've thought was useful for comparison purposes was something like:

How many inches do you have to move your mouse to swing your FPS character through a 360 degree circle.

Bypasses DPI->OS->internal game settings.Of course, this assumes no acceleration, which I also thought was the default way to do things.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 04:03:54 »
Sensitivity is what you feel/how far it moves, DPI is just what the sensor is registering (this can get pretty deep due to how they operate but that's the basics).
Typically only gaming mice allow you to alter that, a few office grade now offer it but of those few actually alter the firmware.

With dpi access you can tune down to insane levels of precision, not just 6 levels or whatever Windows allows.
Everything effects sensitivity, the dpi, the sensor acceleration, the OS, even the driver, even the mousepad can alter it. It's actually amazing just how much the mousepad can change it (20% or more) and certain levels are also not always compatible on the mousing surface (sort of like how your monitor looks better on some resolutions than others).

Basically what we're doing, regardless of method to achieve it is to make it feel the same no matter if anything among those was changed so we don't have to retrain my muscle memory anytime something changes. The higher the dpi the important this becomes.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 15:17:56 »
Damn,now I feel like a weirdo,I have 3 settings on my G600,1950,3500,and 5000 DPI,it's normally set for 5000 so I can swipe across 2 monitors with maybe an inch and half of movement,I go down 3500 for things like Cyberpunk and other FPS type games.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 23:12:11 »
Damn,now I feel like a weirdo,I have 3 settings on my G600,1950,3500,and 5000 DPI,it's normally set for 5000 so I can swipe across 2 monitors with maybe an inch and half of movement,I go down 3500 for things like Cyberpunk and other FPS type games.
Not weird, I cross dual 1440p screens in just under an inch.
When I played a lot of fps I used about what you use when not gaming.

The only weird part to me is having dual sensitivity, I stick to one so I'm always using the same setting.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 01:04:53 »
don't worry, you can do much stranger than that :) try playing with a trackpad with maxed sensitivity in most games and acceleration enabled, then peoples that you beat at FPS games will really not understand what is happening :)
(that was my setup when i played a decent amount of games, nowadays i do not play so i could not do it anymore)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 13:04:06 »
Sensitivity depends on what I'm playing, most FPS I vary between 650-800 dpi - and make my adjustments in the end game settings where needed.  most other work and casual non shooters I use 1200 - 1300 dpi. I used to play with higher dpi till I swapped to a lighter mouse with a better sensor (also swapped to a hard mat over cloth).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 20:31:03 »
I used to play with higher dpi till I swapped to a lighter mouse with a better sensor (also swapped to a hard mat over cloth).

My experience between the two was hard mat had about 15% higher dpi, without changing any settings.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 18:26:13 »
I play games with my mouse's firmware sensitivity set to 1600 DPI, and, in Rainbow Six: Siege, the in-game sensitivity is set to 42, and, in DOOM Eternal, my sensitivity is set to 70 with sensitivity scaling set to 5 (whatever that means). A buddy I play with asked what my settings are after he spectated me the other day, and he thinks I'm a madman for having everything set so high. I don't move my forearm at all when playing, just my wrist. Is this not normal?

I've heard about Quake and Counterstrike players' using low sensitivity and sweeping their whole arms, but I always thought that was just competitive guys.

Yeah thats really high try switching it to 705 thats my comfy zone

Offline phedd

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 11:56:03 »
I usually use around 2000dpi. Barely move my hand at all, more like micro adjustments with my fingers.

Apparently it's more ergonomic to move your mouse all over your desk but I just can't do it. Too much work and I don't get how you possible could have any sort of accuracy then.

Also don't understand the trend of light weight mice, but I guess it makes sense if you move it around like a maniac. I want something sturdy.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 01:28:20 »
I usually use around 2000dpi. Barely move my hand at all, more like micro adjustments with my fingers.

Apparently it's more ergonomic to move your mouse all over your desk but I just can't do it. Too much work and I don't get how you possible could have any sort of accuracy then.

Also don't understand the trend of light weight mice, but I guess it makes sense if you move it around like a maniac. I want something sturdy.

Yes, I'm with you. I want to feel like Atlas moving the ****ing heavens when I'm using my mouse. I currently have the DPI set to 1600 with OS sensitivity fairly high; I keep it like that so when I use my random whatever mice on my **** computer with 400 DPI it doesn't feel that weird, but I've had it as high as 3000 before, for sure.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 10:18:59 »

I am mixed on light weight mice. I like extra weight because it keeps me from accidentally throwing off my aim if I'm trying to keep it steady, but I pick up my mouse a lot despite high sensitivity, so the lighter weight makes it feel more nimble. 

Offline funkmon

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 21:53:50 »

Yes, I'm with you. I want to feel like Atlas moving the ****ing heavens when I'm using my mouse. I currently have the DPI set to 1600 with OS sensitivity fairly high; I keep it like that so when I use my random whatever mice on my **** computer with 400 DPI it doesn't feel that weird, but I've had it as high as 3000 before, for sure.

Oh **** turns out I was wrong! I have it on 3200!

And I have it on fast. Wow.

Okay fellas, I upped it to 6400, let's see how I handle it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 January 2021, 21:55:36 by funkmon »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 23:44:50 »
Lower the Windows setting first then up the DPI.

Windows by default skips 3 pixels, on fast it skips 6(?) pixels per mouse movement (enhanced is just changing acceleration I think).
Think about it a different way, this effectively reduces the hit box size to 1/3rd or 1/6th what it was, not physically, but effectively. If a hit box/check box is 30 pixels wide @ default you have only 10 points in which to catch those 30 pixels, but that's only if your mouse tracking starts exactly on the edge and finishes on the edge, it's more likely you would only have 8 or 9 actual points to click, and on fast it reduces it down to just 4 points and this is if there is no skips in your tracking. Effectively this means your hit box is not a full 30 pixels wide but instead changes depending on the setting and where the tracking hits, worse, it shifts around, you may be on the edge this time, but not the next and on odd shapes or sizes it really can wander around. With it lowered you retain all points to click.

Admittedly, it doesn't help much if you nail the middle of the box, that will always hit, but near the edges it can mean the difference of a hit or miss.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline funkmon

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 00:26:16 »
NOPE DON'T CARE I'M NOW USED TO 6400!

I can't go back. Maybe I should buy one of those 16k mice and turn the sensitivity down though.

Offline Bitdrive

• * Maker
  • Sup I’m new and takin a look around
    • @bitdrive Instagram
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 19:55:51 »
It’s definitely higher than most but I too use similar dpi values to this so I guess it’s somewhat normal  :thumb:

Offline KamiJoey

• discord: kamijoey#9998
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 21:39:53 »
Competitive FPS NA Gamer, here's a short background on where I come from in FPS.
Recently I been grinding Valorant and was able to hit Immortal 1500 Act 2.
I transitioned from CSGO and played to improve in any FPS games such as;
- OverWatch (peak GM season 2-6)
- CSGO (SMFC)
- APEX (S3 Predator)

Main Mouse Sens: DPI 1600
In-Game: depending on the game but generally its close to 1.12 in CSGO or 0.36 in valorant.
BR like Apex/PUBG - Generally slightly higher sens.

Q. Is Your Mouse Sensitivity really that high?

I personally think that as long as you can get used to your own sensitivity preference for a long period of time, anyone can be trained to be a good player whether be low sens player or not. Playing different type of FPS also have different playstyles, when you think of 'FPS' it's usually a typical 5v5 or team vs team base game that doesn't require to look around to check your surroundings like in BR. This means that in these team vs team style FPS games, head level crosshair placement (precision) is key for aiming. When I played Apex and Pubg (Battle Royale) for the first week, it was really hard for me to adapt from lower precise mouse sensitivity to medium high to look around and understand your positioning in the map. Not only it wasn't like a reaction based 1v1 fights, but target tracking type of game. Checking out sensitivity ratio changes from different game to game works to get a feeling but its not always precise when it comes to adapting into a new game. I came to conclusion when it came down to FPS, its just learning what playstyle you have to master and play enough games to get the game sense.

But as for your question, what would you be comparing your sens to? Some people who has different DPI switches on their gaming mouse to swap for gaming only or for blender editing or browsing in the internet. I'm too lazy to have different sens to swap every time so I just keep to 1 sens. In my case, I started playing games from a costco prebuilt computer with the mouse that came with it (1600dpi) and I got used to that sens in windows. I generally spend a lot of time browsing the internet more time than playing games so having a much faster sens on chrome makes up for me rather than taking my time with lower sens.  So from my experience, 1600 DPI is the sweet spot as you can just generally use it for any games as long as you adapt and browse the internet quickly as you prefer.

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 07:13:43 »

None of this makes any sense for people who don't play these games in specific. Could you use cm/360 measurement instead? Universally understandable, once you get used to it. Higher sensitivities like 15-22 cm/360 are pretty normal for fast paced shooters, while much lower sensitivities like 35+ cm/360 are very common with tactical shooters, as you do not need to move your cursor that much.

Offline Surnia

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 09:23:58 »
I find this rather interesting, prior to switching to trackballs I ran on a Razer Copperhead and CM Storm mouse with independent X and Y DPI adjustments. On average I used around 800-900 DPI for gaming on GunZ (If you want to talk about a twitch shooter...) and was able to keep up with mid/mid-high ish tier players. For the REALLY good players though, I had to lose a bit of precision and run with 1800 DPI just to keep up with the speed. When I switched games and roles to snipers though, pushing into 450 DPI when I went into scopes really helped hitting that long range shot.

These days my Slimblade is enough for my gaming (World of Tanks, and most single player shooter/RPGs, ball mass really helps with precision), however I think I can moderately keep up with FPSes still, probably not my old days of GunZ though (the heavy ball mass works against you with that kind of usage).

I never did like running high DPI, too twitchy for regular PC usage even on a 1080p screen. I'm surprised if most gamers are pushing back down into the lower DPI ranges today, and into ranges I'd even consider slow...

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:11:10 »
There's no real high or low, it also makes a difference with FOV.

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 10:56:37 »
When I switched games and roles to snipers though, pushing into 450 DPI when I went into scopes really helped hitting that long range shot.

This is actually really bad for precision, as the lower DPI's track worse. It would be optimal for the game to have separate sensitivity settings available for each gun, or maybe a sensitivity modifier that uses the "base" sensitivity you've set.

Offline lumkanet

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 10:29:35 »
No, me too
My DPI is 3600. but when i playing Rainbow Six , my DPI is 2400.
It's a common thing. Don't worry men.