Author Topic: [IC] PBT Transmutation (Update GB LIVE )  (Read 36102 times)

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
    • MY Keycap set - Transmutation
[IC] PBT Transmutation (Update GB LIVE )
« on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 15:45:04 »

GB is live HERE

GB Post on Geekhack is HERE

Keyboards are amazing because they allow you to create a little bit of fantasy on your desktop, transmuting your workspace into something else entirely.

I really wanted to create that sense of transformation with this keycap set. Bringing in some alchemy, something a little goth, mysterious cults, forgotten ancient languages, natural numbering systems, and magic.

And selfishly, something that could also work with the aesthetic of my Moody Moon Deskmat

Let's make some magic!
Click HERE for the IC form!

UPDATES:

- Taking in feedback, working on creating a non-text modifier set as per feedback / reaching out to artisans (if you know a good one let me know) (5/18/2021)
- Found Vendor: Kono Store. (5/19/2021)
- Ordered Prototypes! (5/19/2021)
- Redid entire kit with a new font that is more in line with the symbol weight, also less harry-potter-esque. (June 2021)
- Created new symbolic Modifier set based on tree branches if you want you entire keyboard to be symbols! (May 2021)
- Added Symbol set to the numpads (June 2021)
- Replaced F keys with new phases of the moon symbols (June 2021)
- Added more interesting verbage for latin modifiers (curse, sacrifice, transmute, enchant!)  (June 2021)
- Prototypes are in production (July 2021)
- New Renders! (July 2021 - this is honestly what was holding everything up, redoing all the UV maps)

- Prototypes received. Color and font adjustments required (should be a smaller turnaround time), hopefully if next group looks ok we can move to a GB date (Sept 2021)

- NOTE: I may have extremely good news about the price and general kitting, coming soon if everything works out. 
- Made a discord for this project MIDNIGHT MIRROR (Aug 2021)
- REORDER of new Prototypes on order and Kono is implementing higher QC standards with this set in mind!  ;D (Dec 2021)
- Prototype Round 2 came in. The colors are near spot on now. There's 1 more round where we get the black to be more warm in hue but it's VERY close. Kono thinks that it may still be a GB in February (2022) so stay tuned! In the meantime I will be super-fine tuning the source files to make sure everything is in alignment etc as best I can (Feb 2022)

- TENTITIVE GB DATE SET FOR: FEB 2022!

~~~~ FINAL UPDATE ~~~~

- Everything looks ready from Kono and the GB will commence MARCH 22nd 2022!

KITS

Kits are subject to change during IC ~ depending on feedback
Kits were changed drastically due to feedback (check update section above) ~
Kits were changed once again due to limitations with the manu! I'll post corrected versions in the GB post and of course on Kono's GB page.

I hope that with every set will be this handy informational sheet on my thinking behind the alchemaic symbol layout and order:

RENDERS

Board: U80

Board: U80

Board: Isometria

Board: Ikki68

Board: Fuji65

Board: SP-111

Alpha set shown here on a Portico (slightly fictional green shade) (this one is the old keyset but leaving here so you get the idea of the general look of the colors)

COLORS

Pantone 419C - Which is what Pantone considers a 'black' but in direct light it does move towards dark-gray
Pantone 7764C - a dark very army-green tending towards grey and more yellow then blue on the colorwheel
Pantone 454C - A light cream color - more neutral then warm reminds me of seashells or a latte or mushrooms.

DESKMATS

Crescent Moon Deskmat

Under Flowers Deskmat

(More soon)

VENDORS

United States: Kono Store
Europe: TBA
Asia: TBA
Oceania: TBA
Canada: TBA

PRICING

TBA

COLLABS

Cables by Kalamity Cables

Artisan keycap Miroticaps

Artisan keycap ARCHETYPE

More announcements coming soon

DISCORD

Join the Discord to keep updated on this project: MIDNIGHT MIRROR

TO DO LIST

>Create IC
>Rework set based on feedback
>Find Vendors <NorthAmerica found! Worldwide vendor list soon
>Find Collaborators (I want spooky collabs!)
>GB time!  ;D

If you’d like to transmute this set into existence, I offer up this banner.

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116662.0][img width=399 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/gfcGLMs.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2022, 19:15:00 by Lazesummerstone »

Offline kure_

Re: [IC] PBT Transmutation
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 15:45:57 »
reserved

usually i think of red when i think of cult like stuff tho. 

set is still nice  :thumb:

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 15:46:17 »
This set is something else... in a good way  :thumb:

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 15:55:39 »
reserved

Hey thank you so much! Actually I initially thought red too and tried to add it, but unfortunately it instantly gave a bad military vibe.

I If I took out Green though it was Instantly Hot Topic... which actually might not be all that bad if people wanted it though.

Offline Friendship

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 15:58:51 »
That deskmat is really cool! Has the vibe of some of the newer MTG swamp lands artwork! nice work!
Collection: LZ GHv2, Esheu Fallacy, Moesode Bliss, Daji Ocho Cuatro, Ace Saturn60, Bolsa Midway60, MLI NUM1, MLI VISION, PW ROTR

Offline OhKero

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:00:05 »
THIS LOOKS AWESOME!

Offline jujunesbi

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:06:33 »
NOICE. I straight-up need this for my Moss Zenith. And the deskmat is perfect. It has a ton of interesting stuff to frame your keyboard, then you lift up your keyboard you get a spooky surprise!

I would suggest making the font sizes on all of the mods uniform rather than sizing them to fit the keys. Out of curiosity, did you test what it looked like with a sans-serif font?
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:23:08 by jujunesbi »

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:18:14 »
Oh yeah that's true.. .I'll double check to make sure all fonts are the same across the board. I have a version of the keyset that goes to printers (in illustrator) and then the one that I created for 3D renders and unfortunately in Blender things got a little more fast and loose.
As far as San Serif fonts I did try that initially but it felt so 'ordinary' and kinda didn't match the style of the spooky novelties.  At least that's the impression I got.

Offline jujunesbi

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:26:36 »
As far as San Serif fonts I did try that initially but it felt so 'ordinary' and kinda didn't match the style of the spooky novelties.  At least that's the impression I got.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I could also see how it could start to look less occult and more sci-fi. It was probably the correct choice.

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:38:11 »
That deskmat is great, I am gonna need this for one of my boards for sure... Only ask: would you consider icons or novelties for the mods?

Awesome work man!

Offline mizuwolf

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:45:56 »
ooh, I'd love to see icon mods for this set!

Offline opsecpanda

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:48:54 »
Filled IC. Looks great and I'm really excited to see how it goes! TL;DR of my IC: would love to see some 40s support in the form of more fun keys in rows 2 and 3.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 16:50:18 »
Please consider changing "~#" key to a pipe key for iso-us support

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 17:25:44 »
New and refreshing

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 17:46:26 »
Please consider changing "~#" key to a pipe key for iso-us support

Filled IC. Looks great and I'm really excited to see how it goes! TL;DR of my IC: would love to see some 40s support in the form of more fun keys in rows 2 and 3.

Hey thank  you so much for letting me know this stuff! I was basing it on a template, with some of my own kitting alterations but this helps me a lot!

Offline minicap

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 19:04:17 »
Excited to see the IC for this set! The alphas are very unique and cool :D

Offline chuzzilla

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 20:14:53 »
This is awesome! Whoo!
Ergodox EZ :: (Boop65) :: (NK65 Milkshake)

Offline Sicowa

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 20:24:31 »
please put your alphas in the base kit
Collection: Khajit 60, Leopold FC980C, Pepper, Ex. Visa, Daedalus

pfp:https://twitter.com/kuroseP/status/1305179874429079553?s=19

Offline kdam39

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 20:24:53 »
Stop forcing me to buy the strange alphas. Alphas should just be in base kit for me to even consider.

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 22:35:04 »
Stop forcing me to buy the strange alphas. Alphas should just be in base kit for me to even consider.

please put your alphas in the base kit

That was the thing I wasn't sure about when creating this. But most kitting has the weirdo alphas as a seperate kit you have to buy, so I figured I'd force the fantasy and do the reverse for once.
Then again if I get enough people demanding to have regular latin alphas as the basisi of the Core set of course I'll change it  ;D

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 00:37:41 »
Looks cool, still needa see one of these reverse dye sub sets in person.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 05:33:30 »
Color look really nice!! tho personally I don't dig the font on the mods and also its 5-side dye-sub on pbt so its probably gonna be warped but man those color and alphas tho :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline Neptur

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 06:30:00 »
Theme and colors are really unique. Not a fan of the legends on the text mods though, maybe consider doing custom icon mods?

Offline CaileighCogssmith

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 11:01:32 »
Looks really cool, love to see different fonts. Any chance for an additional set of all mods in that beige color or the same as the alphas? Also a text version of the ISO enter would be cool, then the one with the skull could go in the novelty kit instead.

Offline kure_

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 11:03:26 »
reserved

Hey thank you so much! Actually I initially thought red too and tried to add it, but unfortunately it instantly gave a bad military vibe.

Show Image

I If I took out Green though it was Instantly Hot Topic... which actually might not be all that bad if people wanted it though.

Yeah I guess so. If there are some red novelties/accents or red printed novelties/accents might be cool though.

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 11:31:01 »
Looks really cool, love to see different fonts. Any chance for an additional set of all mods in that beige color or the same as the alphas? Also a text version of the ISO enter would be cool, then the one with the skull could go in the novelty kit instead.
This are some great suggestions. I'm at the very least going to try to make a text iso enter.
The other one is that you want to basically have the option to eliminate the green color from the board? That's an interesting option I hadn't thought of! Thank  you!

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 12:30:54 »
Yeah I guess so. If there are some red novelties/accents or red printed novelties/accents might be cool though.

Oh Maybe like a very tiny hint of red would be cool- Like an escape or enter key? hmmm....

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 14:21:46 »
Hmm I'm thinking what it would look like if it was based on the original cherry legend positioning and font size. I would enjoy it more if it was in that layout. Right now, I'm not digging it, especially if you're doing it in PBT which I don't think will yield good results.  cause reverse dyesub does not work out most of the time
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 18:27:58 »
Hmm I'm thinking what it would look like if it was based on the original cherry legend positioning and font size. I would enjoy it more if it was in that layout. Right now, I'm not digging it, especially if you're doing it in PBT which I don't think will yield good results.  cause reverse dyesub does not work out most of the time

Oh thanks for your feedback! I hadn't heard that PBT doesn't yield great results. What do you mean specifically by saying it won't work out? Let me know because I've never heard of this.  :-[

Offline itsazly

• website place
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 21:40:35 »
Really awesome! Love the theme.

Offline kumori

• polartype
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 22:21:41 »
Looks nice, I like the theme :)
Just one thing to note; it would be best to work with Pantone U (Uncoated) or TCX etc. if you want things to go smoothly, as coated colors will be desaturated a lot.
One thing to note as well is that C colors cannot translate into U colors, as it has occurred a couple times with some PBT sets using C in renders and U in production.
You will need several sample rounds to calibrate to what saturation you would want (as first samples would be desaturated).
With uncoated, you will probably have it closely calibrated to the Pantone chip as there is no coat (shine) with PBT and will maybe need very minor calibration adjustments. :thumb:
Just giving some tips so nothing happens, as it's a nice looking set.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 May 2021, 22:24:22 by kumori »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 23:05:26 »
Looks nice, I like the theme :)
Just one thing to note; it would be best to work with Pantone U (Uncoated) or TCX etc. if you want things to go smoothly, as coated colors will be desaturated a lot.
One thing to note as well is that C colors cannot translate into U colors, as it has occurred a couple times with some PBT sets using C in renders and U in production.
You will need several sample rounds to calibrate to what saturation you would want (as first samples would be desaturated).
With uncoated, you will probably have it closely calibrated to the Pantone chip as there is no coat (shine) with PBT and will maybe need very minor calibration adjustments. :thumb:
Just giving some tips so nothing happens, as it's a nice looking set.
Hello sam

Offline robsta

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 00:23:11 »
International KIT PLSSSSS!

[img width=198 height=78]

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 02:31:05 »

Oh thanks for your feedback! I hadn't heard that PBT doesn't yield great results. What do you mean specifically by saying it won't work out? Let me know because I've never heard of this.  :-[

treeleaf is talking about reverse dyesub(or 5-side dyesub) where instead of dye subbing the legend onto the keycaps, you have the keycaps in the legend color and dying the non-legend area into the color you want, you have to do this because you can not dyesub a lighter color onto darker color, which will result in the PBT caps getting blasted in the heat on all side and will make the keycaps warp

Offline harlekein

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 03:47:40 »
I love the alchemy alphas and arrows, but I really dislike the font for the mods.

This is a lot to ask for, but Since you seem to have a talent for the icon and novelty design, I think this kit will really shine with custom icon mods.

Offline CaileighCogssmith

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 06:47:06 »
I love the alchemy alphas and arrows, but I really dislike the font for the mods.

This is a lot to ask for, but Since you seem to have a talent for the icon and novelty design, I think this kit will really shine with custom icon mods.

I really like the text on the mods, so I think having an option for both would be best, then it'd be possible to go all icons, all text or mix and match.

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 12:19:22 »

I really like the text on the mods, so I think having an option for both would be best, then it'd be possible to go all icons, all text or mix and match.

Ok I've been hearing basically split down the middle feedback on the mods from here and on reddit, but I think making icon mods is a pretty dang good idea. So I'm going to do it! It will be in the style of the arrow keys so that it basically becomes a forest of treebranches around your keyboard. I think I could make it pretty cool.
That being said I'm wondering if I should change  the Latin typography to hand written font (like what youd see in a medical/scientific journal.) but that's another endevor.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 12:21:20 »

treeleaf is talking about reverse dyesub(or 5-side dyesub) where instead of dye subbing the legend onto the keycaps, you have the keycaps in the legend color and dying the non-legend area into the color you want, you have to do this because you can not dyesub a lighter color onto darker color, which will result in the PBT caps getting blasted in the heat on all side and will make the keycaps warp

And not only that, but the legend quality  can suffer because you are putting more surface area dye
 which is harder to control.  It's harder to perfect.

At least this is my personal experience
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 12:47:35 »
And not only that, but the legend quality  can suffer because you are putting more surface area dye

Is this a real big concern? For instance I just got infinikey musubi in the mail, and there's a lot of light grey printed on red and blue (which are darker) and it looks pretty darn good.

Offline Ciantha

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 15:21:23 »
Just wanted to chime in that I very  much like the icon alphas in the basekit (not really interested in the latin alphas).

Offline Harue

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 15:23:10 »
Very nice and refreshing!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 15:31:39 »

Is this a real big concern? For instance I just got infinikey musubi in the mail, and there's a lot of light grey printed on red and blue (which are darker) and it looks pretty darn good.
This is a major problem, basically, no manu has got reverse dyesub down, with musubi, because the whole set isn't reverse it is much easier to qc instead of every key needing it

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 15:38:07 »
This is a major problem, basically, no manu has got reverse dyesub down, with musubi, because the whole set isn't reverse it is much easier to qc instead of every key needing it

Is there a solution to this besides doubleshotting? I don't think that would be viable for a whole set right? Because it would cost big bucks to do a whole set with new molds for doubleshots? Please give me your opinion oh wise chicken!  :D

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 16:00:58 »
Is there a solution to this besides doubleshotting? I don't think that would be viable for a whole set right? Because it would cost big bucks to do a whole set with new molds for doubleshots? Please give me your opinion oh wise chicken!  :D
No real cherry manu that does it the best, epbt will be your best option as they are improving, but for now it's just tough luck

Although I'm sure as you basically have to go dyesub for your legends, people will give you some leeway

Offline tr0oper

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 08:08:03 »
This set only interests me if the base has the icon alphas. I’m not interested in Latin alphas, and I think it would be diluting the theme if these were in the base.

The set also needs to have a R3 home key.

The novelties are on point, they look great.

Offline tr0oper

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 08:14:10 »
I think making icon mods is a pretty dang good idea. So I'm going to do it! It will be in the style of the arrow keys so that it basically becomes a forest of treebranches around your keyboard.

DO IT!!!! I can see it in my mind already. It’s going to look awesome.

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 21:47:31 »
This set only interests me if the base has the icon alphas. I’m not interested in Latin alphas, and I think it would be diluting the theme if these were in the base.

The set also needs to have a R3 home key.

The novelties are on point, they look great.

Thanks for the feedback! And the bit about the r3 home key, that’s a good catch.
And yep please hold for a few transmutations of this set! It should be too long.
I think making icon mods is a pretty dang good idea. So I'm going to do it! It will be in the style of the arrow keys so that it basically becomes a forest of treebranches around your keyboard.

DO IT!!!! I can see it in my mind already. It’s going to look awesome.

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 11:48:58 »
Small Update: May have a vendor, still exploring.
Also working on creating a full symbolic modifier set (as in no-text version) so that you can have a truly transformative keyboard experience!  :D

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 19:42:14 »
Small update (but really a big step for this set) Found a great vendor for the project KonoStore and they have been 100% on the ball and ordered prototypes to see how these full-size symbol keys will look.
Also Kalamity Cables wants to collab!

I'm very excited! More news soon!

Offline adi

• adi.kbds; Consider ePBT Fruit Chew
    • Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 19:05:30 »
Looks great! I especially love that artwork that's made for the banner. Almost could be used as a character for set promotion like the Tuzi bunny was.