Author Topic: [Help] - Has anyone tried adding LEDs to the switches on the KBD19X  (Read 3721 times)

Offline cheezeninja

Hi, first real post here. I'm a recent fan of mechanical keyboards, so I decided to build my own soon! I was interested in seeing if anyone ever put individual LED lights for their switches on the PCB for the KBD19X. I see that there are sections available for it, but I haven't seen anyone actually do it. Are there problems associated with this?

Offline rinkaan

Re: [Help] - Has anyone tried adding LEDs to the switches on the KBD19X
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 04:14:24 »
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/3902/files/1800.pdf?9073386096780420683

based on pcb diagram, the KBD19X suppose single color LED on the board. so you can use 3mm LED on them. doesnt support RGB since only supports 2pin LED

Offline cheezeninja

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 23:39:27 »
Do you think the 1.8mm would be fine instead of the 3mm?

Offline PantoneC

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 01:16:37 »
The 1.8mm led will work kbdfans used to carry and offer the service on their website kind of weird they removed it I own 19x and it has 1.8mm installed.
Here is a link to TX keyboards https://www.us.txkeyboards.com/products/led-2x3x3?_pos=1&_sid=39b4b3791&_ss=r you can use leds from their site as well.  :)

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 02:43:29 »
most 1.8mm leds seem to use the same pin spacing as the 3mm ones, at least all the ones i ever saw, so yeah it should work exactly the same.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 06:52:29 »
think pin spacing is not a big concern, but rather the voltages send to the led. might be worthwhile asking KBDFans, but i dont reckon any issues with either, even with slight voltage difference and current draws (if any)

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 08:32:29 »
think pin spacing is not a big concern, but rather the voltages send to the led. might be worthwhile asking KBDFans, but i dont reckon any issues with either, even with slight voltage difference and current draws (if any)
led voltages depend on the color, but usually you will use a current regulation as it also depend on temperature, as the led heats up the voltage decrease, the current increase and the led heats up more, maybe red leds could be a problem but i doubt it (red = very low voltage, UV = very high)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline cheezeninja

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 19:26:24 »
Thank you to everyone! I will try it our on my keyboard when it comes in! Thanks for your help :)

Offline khashi

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 00:36:19 »
Have you made any progress since posting? I'm also waiting on my KBD 19x and would like to know how your project progresses. PS did you figure out if you need a controller when adding the keycap lighting? And will software like QMK work for that kind of setup?

Offline cheezeninja

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 02:23:20 »
Hi there! I have received my PCB and had some problems while soldering them originally. Be careful about the numpad side for equals as too much solder can cause the entire column to die along with the g key. (Problems that I had). In regards to the LED, I am still working on them, but I have found success with the indicator lights so far. QMK will not do much in terms of the lighting as those LEDs don't have any software capabilities really. I have yet to fully check it out so if I find out something new, I'll be sure to get back to you!

Offline cheezeninja

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 23:15:06 »
Have you made any progress since posting? I'm also waiting on my KBD 19x and would like to know how your project progresses. PS did you figure out if you need a controller when adding the keycap lighting? And will software like QMK work for that kind of setup?

Hey Khashi, so sorry that I have been so slow with this reply. I have finally got around to the addition of the LEDs to the pcb. I can say that there is no need for a controller when adding the keycap lightings, it is one of the default keys on the pcb set between the f12 key and prtscrn key. I used the online keyboard flashing tools that KBDfans recommended.