Author Topic: Methods of attaching kinesis v3 lifters to ergodox  (Read 8010 times)

Offline nacitar

Methods of attaching kinesis v3 lifters to ergodox
« on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 10:07:10 »
I've heard "velcro" as a suggestion, but wondering if other people had some other approaches for attaching the kinesis v3 lifters.

Also, for people with a "full hand" ergodox, could anyone be kind enough to show a picture of exactly how they positioned the lifters beneath the ergodox halves?

Thanks.

Offline nomaded

Re: Methods of attaching kinesis v3 lifters to ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 13:09:25 »
Apparently I have the V3 lifters for the older Freestyle 1 keyboard, since I think the Freestyle 2 lifters are longer.

Instead of Velcro(tm), I am using 3M command strips, since they can be removed with no sticky residue. I also prefer 3M's interlocking connectors over the hook-and-loop style used by Velcro(tm). I filed off the little hooks on one end, but kept the large curved "handle" end. And I have the "right" lifter mounted on the left side, and vice versa.

Please excuse the grainy phone photos.

55791-0
55793-1
55795-2
55797-3
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline nacitar

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 08:17:18 »
Apparently I have the V3 lifters for the older Freestyle 1 keyboard, since I think the Freestyle 2 lifters are longer.

Instead of Velcro(tm), I am using 3M command strips, since they can be removed with no sticky residue. I also prefer 3M's interlocking connectors over the hook-and-loop style used by Velcro(tm). I filed off the little hooks on one end, but kept the large curved "handle" end. And I have the "right" lifter mounted on the left side, and vice versa.

Please excuse the grainy phone photos.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Those strips are awesome, way better than Velcro.  I had never heard of them before, now I'm glad I have.  These are the ones I/you used.  Thanks for suggesting them.

http://m.uline.com/mt/www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19702/3M-Office-Tape/3M-17206-Command-Picture-Hanging-Strips-Large?pricode=WU325&gadtype=pla&id=47379637282

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:34:56 »
The strips are made by 3M and are called "Dual-Lock", they sell them retail under other names (Command Strips, etc)

One of the benefits of Dual Lock is that there is much less movement than with hook-loop fasteners, much more of a firm grip, less slop. After you use Dual Lock, by comparison hook-loop will seem cheap/flimsy. I really like it for items that need solid fastening and don't need to be removed/re-attached a lot.

To expand on the (doesn't leave adhesive residue) statement, hook-loop or Dual Lock can come with a variety of different adhesives for different purposes/for different types of surfaces. Unfortunately I know a little too much about some of these offbeat topics, but the upside is that with a better suited product you can get superior results for the intended use…which can be a make-or-break detail for a project. I'm providing an excerpt and you can search "3M Dual Lock Technical Data" to get a plethora of cool info.

**Note: I think when you purchase the retail packs of Command Strips, they are all 250/250 stem densities.**

"There are three different stem densities of these fasteners (170, 250 and 400)
that refer to the approximate number of stems per square inch. By inter-locking
different stem density combinations you can create the strength that suits your
application--more total stems produces higher strength.

The Dual Lock reclosable fasteners can be mated in the following combinations of
increasing closure strength: Type 170 to Type 250, Type 170 to Type 400, Type 250
to Type 250 and Type 250 to Type 400. We do not recommend using the type 170
to 170 because it does not have good strength. We do not recommend using the type
400 to 400 because it is too strong and may cause stems and heads to rip out
when prying apart--rendering the fastener no longer reclosable.

There are a variety of pressure sensitive adhesives available with Dual Lock
reclosable fasteners to cover most application needs. The pressure sensitive
adhesive makes the Dual Lock reclosable fasteners easy to use. Simply remove the
liner, place the Dual Lock reclosable fasteners, and apply firm, consistent pressure
to assure good contact with the substrate you are adhering."
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Larken

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 06:03:27 »
I used 3m fasteners (though I realised I mention Velcro a few times in the past thinking it a generic term), until I recently decided to go for something more permanent.

I drilled holes in both the v3 lifters and my ergodox's bottom plate, and installed flanged nuts on on the plate itself. Closed it up and used a 8mm m3 screw to bolt it in. You can see two extra mounting holes at each hand that I made, in case I wanted a lower angle.

Close up shot:

I'll be using it in its current form for another month or two to see how sturdy it is, before I do the clean up around the holes and perhaps epoxy the flanged nuts into the case permanently. (or I might not, as it's holding up pretty well so far).

Imo, using fasteners/velcro for attaching the lifters are perfect functionally. No reason to do the mod, unless you're particular about the aesthetics (or just curious to try it).
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Gloomy Moonie

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 14:15:00 »
A bit of a necropost, but would you guys recommend getting this stand for the ErgoDox still, or is there something more optimal that I don't know of?

Offline Hzza

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 06:54:17 »
I've been using mine for ages, they're perfect if you can find them for a reasonable price. I did exactly the same as nomaded to attach mine.

Offline nacitar

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 11:00:41 »
Bit of a re-necro... just for those who search (because this thread is now high on results when googling "ergodox kinesis").

With the command strip + kinesis lifter setup, particularly if you're at 15 degrees of tilt it seems like it wants to twist a little and pull out of the velcro part a bit.  This is because the lifter is designed for the kinesis, and sits much more flush on the kinesis than in this usage.

If you look, the part of the lifter that actually makes contact with the bottom of the ergodox is having to travel too far to actually make contact.  I remedied this with vinyl surface bumpers at each point of contact for the various tenting settings.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl-Surface-Bumpers-16-per-Pack-49967/203661150

Attached is a picture of what I mean.  Through the magic of perspective, it looks like they aren't lined up correctly but they are indeed.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 12:07:13 »
Sorry to re-necro this again, but I just signed up for the Infinity Ergodox massdrop and was looking into tilt mechanisms and found this thread.
I was wondering if anybody has tried to modify the bottom plate of the case to accomodate these lifters? Like drilling holes on the bottom and a cutout on the side so the lifters can snap into place.
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards: